• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Brink |OT| _/^\_

so can anyone tell me if the story is interesting, eg is there a cool surprise or cool ending?

will be playing single player only, interested in amazon $47 for PC version + $10 credit code (effectively $37 for me then with prime and constant buying)

JonCha

I'd actually watch the GiantBomb Quick Look if you have any questions. It's just under 50 minutes, and Jeff is actually pretty straight about the game and shows off the features well.

And talking of the GB Quick Look: there seemed to be some pretty negative aspects. I'm getting the impression the can't-think-for-themselves CoD players are coming over and just not getting the game at all. I'm not going to be playing with GAF all the time if I get this, so if matchmaking solo is like this then I dunno what to do.

cleveridea said:
so can anyone tell me if the story is interesting, eg is there a cool surprise or cool ending?

will be playing single player only, interested in amazon $47 for PC version + $10 credit code (effectively $37 for me then with prime and constant buying)

Don't even bother getting this game if you're going to be playing the single player. Look for LA Noire next week. This game is multiplayer centric.

PoweredBySoy said:
I can't believe Bethesda had the balls to actually release this product early.

First, I'm not sure if Bethesda had anything to do with it. This is a Zenimax/Splash Damage joint.

Second - have you ever played a Bethesda game? :lol

ace3skoot

So the review so far have been annoyingly negative, espeacially the 1UP which sucks because I have been so excited for this game.

help me Gaf i'm losing faith in my conviction to buy this game...

Sysgen

PoweredBySoy said:
I totally understand this. Shoogoo is right too though, if they don't fix this fast they're going to miss their launch window, and nobody is going to give this game a second chance. I preordered on Steam, so I'm already invested. But if I were still on the fence? I'd totally pass... I'm far too jaded of a gamer to keep promoting this fucked up cycle of release-broken-game-patch-later, which I see is now infesting the consoles. Great.

I can't believe Bethesda had the balls to actually release this product early.

Living in a hole. Just noticed it was Bethesda game. People should just stop buying their games on launch and send a message to this publisher.

daviyoung

Banned
Pandoracell said:
It was delayed multiple times. I'm sure there was probably publisher pressure to just get it out.

Bethesda are the publisher.

I'm looking forward to giving this a rent. This game will live or die by the community.

DeanoCalver

Splash Damage
divisionbyzorro said:
First, I'm not sure if Bethesda had anything to do with it. This is a Zenimax/Splash Damage joint.

Bethseda is the publisher, Zenimax is Bethseda's owner.
SD developed for Bethseda who is legally owned by Zenimax.

Wrekt

Tadale said:
It means that it's hard to get excited for a game that is almost universally panned.
And will most likely be under $30 by the end of the month. A couple coworkers bought the game early on Steam but publishers put release-date-embargo's on games for a reason. I'll give it a try on one of their PCs but the reviews make it sound like I dodged a bullet.

Tadale

Wrekt said:
And will most likely be under $30 by the end of the month. A couple coworkers bought the game early on Steam but publishers put release-date-embargo's on games for a reason. I'll give it a try on one of their PCs but the reviews make it sound like I dodged a bullet.

It's hard to spend $60 on a game that you can't guarantee will be a good time.

Salsa

Sysgen said:
Geez the Ars Technica review (non review) is brutal.

I wouldnt know if this is true or not, but i hate it when reviewers tell me wether or not to buy a game.

A review is an opinion, one i choose wether i want to let it affect my overview of the game. A reviewer is not some game councelor telling me what the fuck i should do with my money. Maybe Brink is worth MY money.

Sysgen said:
Living in a hole. Just noticed it was Bethesda game. People should just stop buying their games on launch and send a message to this publisher.
Then they should stop publishing games from studios whose games I want to play!

You know, as an Obsidian fanboy, and a huge Quake Wars nut, I’ve found life on GAF to be a bit tough at times, and now both their last games have been made under the wing of my sworn enemy (since Oblivion) Bethesda. I foresee a long future of fending off arguments posed by the very people who are writing this game off without playing it or giving it an honest chance, but I guess that’s kinda fun!
It was 30$ before release in a lot of places. Sounds more like you missed the train!

Tadale said:
It means that it's hard to get excited for a game that is almost universally panned.

Unless you weigh the "big" sites more heavily, I think the overall consensus has been "mixed" as far as reviews go. And there have been plenty of good comments by people in this thread who have played it.

Not to say that the overall scores haven't been on the low end of the spectrum, but I wouldn't say it's been "almost universally panned".

PsychoSoldier said:
Unless you weigh the "big" sites more heavily, I think the overall consensus has been "mixed" as far as reviews go. And there have been plenty of good comments by people in this thread who have played it.

Not to say that the overall scores haven't been on the low end of the spectrum, but I wouldn't say it's been "almost universally panned".

Don't forget that Joystick didn't even play the game.

PsychoSoldier said:

This is a big site (1up):
To make matters worse, secondary objectives tend towards the completely frivolous. Why would I repair a staircase to create a shortcut to the objective when it's just going to feel like banging my head against a wall when I get there? Taking a secondary path to the same boring endpoint doesn't make what happens when you get there any more interesting.
He gave it a D, would you trust his opinion? On anything?

I'm not letting these reviews bother me, I've been waiting a very long time for this game. I love its' ideas into the FPS and I've got 3 friends getting this.

Genesis Knight said:
Don't forget that Joystick didn't even play the game.

Huh?

When L.A. Noire is coming out next week...

I really needed this game to blow the doors off for me to pick it up...which I was ready and willing to do.

Unfortunately...now? Not so much. : / It's a shame. I was looking forward to supporting these guys.

Geoff9920 said:
Seriously? Wow...

Yeah. They did some digging and the reviewer didn't have the campaign complete achievement or any achievements past the initial 'just started playing' freebies. Typical - Joystick always gets their collective dick hard trying to get reviews out first.

v0mitg0d

After playing the game for a few days I think the Brink experience boils down to this: If you enjoy Team Fortress 2 a lot--and love the idea of earning XP to unlock stuff--then this game is for you. I have to say if you're the type of gamer who's just into shooters (especially single-play campaigns) then I think the $60 purchase isn't really justified.

General Notes:

- Almost all the maps (8 in total) are well made, force traffic to flow effectively so players continue to run into one another and usually make sense directionally. Map layouts look like they have spots for every class to take advantage of, and they don't feel too big.

- The HUD is too busy for me--way too busy--even after watching the promotional UI video.

- There is so much constant radio chatter from the characters it actually makes it tough to keep up with what's going on with the rest of your team. Everyone automatically calls out when they see something or do something ("BUILDING TURRET!", "HEY THERE'S A BAD GUY OVER HERE!") and it eventually turned into a white noise for me.

- The graphics are fine, not as impressive as I hoped. Day 1 patch is suppose to make it prettier though.

- The sprint (auto-slide, auto-climb) button is exactly what you expect it to be--a button you press to do things for you so you do less work.

SalsaShark said:
I wouldnt know if this is true or not, but i hate it when reviewers tell me wether or not to buy a game.

A review is an opinion, one i choose wether i want to let it affect my overview of the game. A reviewer is not some game councelor telling me what the fuck i should do with my money. Maybe Brink is worth MY money.

Because I'd like to think that we, as gamers, all agree that broken games, at a technical level, are not worth our money.

ARS 4 lyfe.

Genesis Knight said:
Yeah. They did some digging and the reviewer didn't have the campaign complete achievement or any achievements past the initial 'just started playing' freebies. Typical - Joystick always gets their collective dick hard trying to get reviews out first.

Not defending Joystiq, but didn't this exact same controversy come about a couple months ago for some other game, and the reviewer later came out to say he had played the majority of the game on a different account.

I don't know, the 'evidence' seems pretty disjointed, so this all comes off like people just desperate to bitch about something. But hey, the internet, right?

Shoogoo

So... They released the game one week earlier to avoir releasing it the same week as LA Noire?

But would one week be enough to fix that clusterf*ck anyway?

PoweredBySoy said:
Not defending Joystiq, but didn't this exact same controversy come about a couple months ago for some other game, and the reviewer later came out to say he had played the majority of the game on a different account.

I don't know, did it? I don't remember the case you're talking about.

Geoff9920

Genesis Knight said:
Was there a closed event for reviews? That would explain the lack of achievements.

Anyway, anyone else having the game randomly crash on them?

Sanic

Genesis Knight said:
I don't know, did it? I don't remember the case you're talking about.

Yeah, but I think it was more than a couple months ago, and I can't remember the game either.

Proc

not sure to grab for pc or 360....360 seems like a safer bet in the event I need to trade it in if I don't like it

D2M15

DAFFY DEUS EGGS
Shoogoo said:
So... They released the game one week earlier to avoir releasing it the same week as LA Noire?
But would one week be enough to fix that clusterf*ck anyway?

Not if you're talking about LA Noire! *rimshot*

Rodhull

Genesis Knight said:
I haven't read any of the reviews yet but isn't it more likely they played it on a debug Xbox and that wouldn't show on a regular live account. What would a company like AOL gain from giving a game a bad review. The guy who's alleging corruption sounds like the tinfoil hat brigade to me.

TwIsTeD

Played about 3 hours with my buddies on 360 last night....off the top the character customization is great fun, between that and the weapons this could definitely add a nice level of enjoyment.

That said the #1 reason to avoid this game right now is the AI ... between free play and attempting challenges with friends all you see is a gang of 4-6 ai just running up on you in a pack and killing you without question, kinda hard when they never miss and prevent medics from reaching you

ultron87

From the bottom of the Joystiq review:

This review is based on a retail Xbox 360 copy of Brink provided by Bethesda. It was played for 12 hours across single-player and multiplayer modes, including Campaign, Freeplay and Challenge. The reviewer was not on the winning side of three of the Campaign missions, despite multiple attempts.

Whether or not this counts as big enough sampling of the game to write a review is up to you. Sounds pretty light to me.

LiK

Rodhull said:
I haven't read any of the reviews yet but isn't it more likely they played it on a debug Xbox and that wouldn't show on a regular live account. What would a company like AOL gain from giving a game a bad review. The guy who's alleging corruption sounds like the tinfoil hat brigade to me.
Indeed.

bigdaddygamebot said:
When L.A. Noire is coming out next week...

I really needed this game to blow the doors off for me to pick it up...which I was ready and willing to do.

Unfortunately...now? Not so much. : / It's a shame. I was looking forward to supporting these guys.

Same.

: (

mxgt

Banned
Been watching a PC stream with an actual good player for about an hour and it totally sold me on the game.

Can't wait until Friday.

bounchfx

Tadale said:

lol. Universally panned = 13 positive, 4 mixed, 2 bad. That's universally panned?

don't get me wrong.. I enjoyed the game a LOT at PAX, but I'm going to wait to see if bethesda/splashd is planning to fix some of these issues. If they plan on supporting the game (not with bullshit fucking map packs, but with fixes and upgrades like TF2), then I'll gladly buy it and support them.

However, the sad truth is I know this game will be on sale for $40 within two weeks, and I'll probably get it then (once again, if they plan on supporting it). It's just the nature of the price cycle these days.

but it's hard to call that universally panned.

Billen

Banned
And my choice to ignore this and instead cough up around 15$ for the new Section 8: Prejudice looks better and better. Will be interesting to see what the Brink patches bring. When will the companies learn?

Edit: If they sort this game out I will probably buy it. Looks interesting as hell. But then again, that is the press material I have been watching.

Top Bottom