• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Brink |OT| _/^\_

So, missing all the hoopla last night of the reviews hitting, the last 10-ish pages are people expressing intent to bail. Who here is still grabbing this for 360 despite the reviews? I read the reviews from IGN, Joystiq, and Eurogamer, and Im still incredibly excited for this game. Leaving work early UPS, you betta' have that package at my doorstep by 2 brotha!

Am I the only one THRILLED with the complete lack of the K/D Ratio statistic? Seems that in a few reviews and the comments section of said reviews that people dont like that much. For me, HELL YES. Its not about the K/D, its about the W.

derFeef

TheApatheticOne said:
Am I the only one THRILLED with the complete lack of the K/D Ratio statistic? Seems that in a few reviews and the comments section of said reviews that people dont like that much. For me, HELL YES. Its not about the K/D, its about the W.
I love that as well.

Shoogoo

TheApatheticOne said:

Fuck, really?

Yeah... Yes. I LIKE IT.

Usually I'm a K/D whore but this will be a good change.

D

Deleted member 81567

Unconfirmed Member
TheApatheticOne said:
Good now people won't know how bad I am.

Spookie

I'm not one to tell someone how to do their job but it looks like the Joystiq reviewer didn't finish either campaign or hit maximum rank to unlock all of the games content. That's fairly fucking appalling when people are using your opinion to judge if to buy a game or not.

Detox

divisionbyzorro said:
Any GAFers have a capture card and feel like feeding my frothing demand for some good gameplay?
Yes please, would be nice to see some who actually understands the game play it. Preferably a PC stream, or at least drop some hi-res screens PC GAF.

Prodigal

Banned
Looks like reinstalling fixed the blue screen menu problem...I didn't change anything else so I would definitely try this if anyone else can't fix it by other means.

Spookie said:
I'm not one to tell someone how to do their job but it looks like the Joystiq reviewer didn't finish either campaign or hit maximum rank to unlock all of the games content. That's fairly fucking appalling when people are using your opinion to judge if to buy a game or not.

Don't worry. Joystiq is a garbage site. Full of stupid editors and even dumber commenters, I'm glad I stopped visiting that hole

Nocebo

TheApatheticOne said:
Is there some player scoring at the end of the match though? Like ranked by total experience gained or something?
Or something like TF2?

Spookie said:

I don't think it's necessarily fair to expect reviewers to hit max rank; most online FPS games these days aim for about 48 hours of play time to hit max rank, and reviewers simply aren't going to have that kind of time. I would, however, expect him to finish the campaign and at least have a basic understanding of how the game changes at higher levels...

DeanoCalver said:
Some PC performance things we have observed and will have news soon about.
  1. Dual core CPU - suffering lower performance than they should
  2. HD4000 lower performance than expected
  3. HBAO - should be off (it should be forced off to be honest) as massive performance lost currently.
  4. Use latest patches for ATI and NV
  5. Blue tint means post processing shader failed - try latest driver if still bad give me a PC config. We have got a capture of this, so working on it
  6. SLI/CF not improving performance
  7. reports of invisible player on net games.

Brink has a up to date deferred lighting, multi-thread aware engine designed for 4+ cores and Dx10 level GPUs. Obviously that's not an excuse for lower performance, just want everyone to be aware its always going to be heavier on min spec than an older idTech4 game.

We are actively hunting down issues that are occurring in the field. And yes we also hate these things are there in the released version... all we can do now however is get them fixed up ASAP
Big thumbs up and a quote for communicating!

Swag

How does this game perform on people's PC's currently? I wanna jump in but am a bit concerned about performance issues

Running i5 750 @ 2.67
Radeon HD 4890
4GB Ram

zlatko

Banned
Just got my copy from Wal-Mart. It came in this nice slip on case, and inside was the code for the spec ops pack even though I didn't pre order it there....niiiice.

WHo wants to trade 360 code of speck ops for Psycho right now? :)

Erasus

Danne-Danger said:
Big thumbs up and a quote for communicating!

Sounds like Black Ops PC all over again.

Dual-Cores just gets shat on ;_;

And I have a HD 4830!!!

I am gonna wait for a patch that fixes that before I buy it. Awesome that they are this quick communicating though :D

Erasus said:
Sounds like Black Ops PC all over again.

Dual-Cores just gets shat on ;_;

And I have a HD 4830!!!

I am gonna wait for a patch that fixes that before I buy it.
I have a triple-core! Who knows what'll happen on friday... hold me.

Interfectum

Shoogoo said:
If the patch takes 2 weeks to land, most of the people (read : asshats) will overlook the game.

We already got enough proof at how dumb people can be just from reading this thread.

Whatever bro. $50-60 is a lot to invest in a semi-broken game. There's no excuse for it. I'm returning my game, unopened, to Amazon and will consider buying it (at a discount) if/when they decide to fix their product.

So I'm waiting for my 360 copy to arrive so I can play this game again, have some questions about the title update for 360-gaf.

1) How's lag? How many people vs. bots in your games?
2) How's the lack of a lobby system working?
3) How's texture caching?

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
DeanoCalver said:
Some PC performance things we have observed and will have news soon about.
  1. Dual core CPU - suffering lower performance than they should
  2. HD4000 lower performance than expected
  3. HBAO - should be off (it should be forced off to be honest) as massive performance lost currently.
  4. Use latest patches for ATI and NV
  5. Blue tint means post processing shader failed - try latest driver if still bad give me a PC config. We have got a capture of this, so working on it
  6. SLI/CF not improving performance
  7. reports of invisible player on net games.

Brink has a up to date deferred lighting, multi-thread aware engine designed for 4+ cores and Dx10 level GPUs. Obviously that's not an excuse for lower performance, just want everyone to be aware its always going to be heavier on min spec than an older idTech4 game.

We are actively hunting down issues that are occurring in the field. And yes we also hate these things are there in the released version... all we can do now however is get them fixed up ASAP
Thank you.

@Sony PR: this is how you do PR.

Does anybody know how to change the resolution in this game manually? All I see in the options menu are resolutions up to shitty 1080p :\

zlatko said:
Just got my copy from Wal-Mart. It came in this nice slip on case, and inside was the code for the spec ops pack even though I didn't pre order it there....niiiice.

WHo wants to trade 360 code of speck ops for Psycho right now? :)

To the best of my knowledge, Amazon hasn't mailed the Psycho codes out yet. At the very least, I haven't gotten mine.

Sent

Interfectum said:
Whatever bro. $50-60 is a lot to invest in a semi-broken game. There's no excuse for it. I'm returning my game, unopened, to Amazon and will consider buying it (at a discount) if/when they decide to fix their product.

People aren't asshats. Good products deserve the fans, not broken ones.

Metal-Geo

TouchMyBox said:
Does anybody know how to change the resolution in this game manually? All I see in the options menu are resolutions up to shitty 1080p :\
I suspect autoexec.cfg like with Doom 3, Prey and Enemy Territory: Quake Wars would work. Google that. :)

CoilShot

TheApatheticOne said:
I'm happy with this

TouchMyBox said:
This is stuff for Quake Wars but you could try it out:
// Screen Resolution and Other Variables
seta r_fullscreen "0"
seta r_mode "-1" //-1 = disable default resolutions, 5 = 1024 x 768, 7 = 1280 x 1024, 13 = 1680 x 1050
seta r_aspectRatio "2" //-1 uses r_customAspectRatioH and r_customAspectRatioV, 0 = 4:3, 1 = 16:9, 2 = 16:10, 3 = 5:4 TFT
seta r_customAspectRatioV "10"
seta r_customAspectRatioH "16"
seta r_customHeight "800"
seta r_customWidth "1280"
seta r_skipstuff "0" //removes stuff models (e.g., small grass)
seta win_noTaskKeys "0"
set "logfile" "0"
In the console (skip the seta) or in a autoexec.cfg

Full list of fun stuff to try: http://etqw.geezergaming.com/newbies/htmlcvars.php

XeroSauce

So heads up to ATI users, the 11.5a hotfix appears to actually make the game worse. Rollback to whatever drivers you had before, and everything should be smooth.

TheApatheticOne said:

I'm with ya.

classicdms

Neo Member
Ok, impressions of the PC version after about 2 hours of play.

I have a shitty bug where the game goes into a slideshow when I look up the server list. It's literally the only time I catch that problem. Makes no sense to me.

Gameplay wise, it feels really good to me when I'm running around and doing objectives and reviving people. Played medic for most of my time. But it has a tendency to fall apart if you have no idea what you're doing or if even a small chunk of your team doesn't and the other team does.

I dunno if it's because of people not knowing how to play yet, but defense has a giant upper hand in most cases.

I also had the sound bug that other people mentioned here. I dunno if it's server side or what but that needs to get fixed as well.

I'm still optimistic. We'll see what happens in the next couple weeks. I know they're gonna have to go through Microsoft cert for the 360 patch, but if they wait for that to do the PC patch day and date with 360 . . .

Well, lets just hope it doesn't come to that.

classicdms said:
I dunno if it's because of people not knowing how to play yet, but defense has a giant upper hand in most cases.
That's how it's designed, the attacking team will have much shorter respawn times though, once you break through you get the flow goin'!

This is why Stopwatch is the mode to play.

*Upper hand in combat positions that is, not in a "we designed it to be all full-hold all the time"-way.

Spookie

classicdms said:

I think that's down to not knowing the maps. I've seen some amazing scaling using the light classes.

Interfectum said:

I totally understand this. Shoogoo is right too though, if they don't fix this fast they're going to miss their launch window, and nobody is going to give this game a second chance. I preordered on Steam, so I'm already invested. But if I were still on the fence? I'd totally pass... I'm far too jaded of a gamer to keep promoting this fucked up cycle of release-broken-game-patch-later, which I see is now infesting the consoles. Great.

I can't believe Bethesda had the balls to actually release this product early.

Arucardo

Oh, that's a shame. I guess I'll wait for a few weeks to see if most of these issues get fixed and what kind of support it's getting. I'm glad I didn't pull the trigger on this one yet.

Sanic

Can't seem to figure out how to add bots to the server without using a predefined cfg file that SD provides, and checking around the internet has not yielded any results. Hopefully we can get some good games going this evening.

Top Bottom