• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Brink |OT| _/^\_

Teknoman

derFeef said:
Cool, good to hear. Wait until friday is going to be hard. - And glad to hear FPS is not capped (sorry, blizz) in multi.

I dont think it is in single either...at least it shouldnt be since that would make no sense.

Zimbardo

was playing online, experienced my first crash after about 30mins or so of play.

just heard the windows error sound 'ding' and a black screen with mouse cursor.

had to reset the pc.

first time that happened to me with anything.

framerate is better when actually playing online, but still not perfect all the time.

game is a bit of a mess. not happy.

derFeef

Teknoman said:
I dont think it is in single either...at least it shouldnt be since that would make no sense.
Really makes no sense, maybe its the AI stuff that cripples the performance (hard to believe, though).

Reading the 1up "D" review, I'm pretty sure that this guy is an idiot:
To make matters worse, secondary objectives tend towards the completely frivolous. Why would I repair a staircase to create a shortcut to the objective when it's just going to feel like banging my head against a wall when I get there? Taking a secondary path to the same boring endpoint doesn't make what happens when you get there any more interesting. And why would I even bother capturing any of the neutral command points on the map if I can't spawn there to get the strategic upper hand? Sure, I can change my class there or replenish my ammo, but that doesn't seem to be worth the loss of manpower needed at the main objective.
I mean really. And he doesn't seem to know that capturing a command point will give the entire team an extra health-pip or supply-pip.

But what can you expect from reviews, eh?

wwm0nkey

Well just had my first online match and still having fun :)

Online does not have a FPS lock but Campaign does, which is kind of weird.

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
DAMN! Tri-SLI GTX580 here and the game can't reach 30fps (or at least it feels like that). Something is awfully wrong.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
well these pc-impressions aren't reassuring at all, guess I shouldn't be surprised when companies hide that version in the attic like the fuckin elephant man. Hmm I haven't actually redeemed my pc steam-key yet, maybe I could just trade it with someone for somethin else.

edit : DAMN! Tri-SLI GTX580 here and the game can't reach 30fps (or at least it feels like that). Something is awfully wrong.

And that seals the deal.

Twig

Banned
Played like three maps... Took me three maps to really get the feel.

Technical issues aside, I like the game a lot. But I quit once I realized I was on a team full of bots and couldn't even switch to the same team as my friends.

F THAT S

Xater

Danne-Danger said:

I mean really. And he doesn't seem to know that capturing a command point will give the entire team an extra health-pip or supply-pip.

Haha that's pretty good. They fit right in with IGN. ;)

Kinda sucks that I have to skip out on this due to PSN.

Kholdstare

Corky said:
well these pc-impressions aren't reassuring at all, guess I shouldn't be surprised when companies hide that version in the attic like the fuckin elephant man. Hmm I haven't actually redeemed my pc steam-key yet, maybe I could just trade it with someone for somethin else.

edit : DAMN! Tri-SLI GTX580 here and the game can't reach 30fps (or at least it feels like that). Something is awfully wrong.

And that seals the deal.
Wait a day or two for either patches or some kind of workaround. IF not, then you should trade it.

wwm0nkey

Corky said:
Besides some minor issues and the lack of a party system (hopefully they add one) the game is just fine.

I do find the campaign FPS lock weird though.

DeanoCalver

Splash Damage
Kholdstare said:
Any fix yet for the blue tint? The game looks great when that shit isn't all over my screen.
Whats your GPU + driver version?

A blue tint means one of the post-processing shaders failed to compile. Which likely means your drivers GLSL compiler has a bug and is refusing to compile the shader.

Blizzard

Banned
Having bots pop in kept us playing for a while. Interestingly, out of maybe 3+ hours of playing, I think I only saw resistance win a map ONCE. Of course, I was resistance the entire time. XD I guess resistance is usually defense and that's harder?

Anyway, if the game ran 40-60 fps it could potentially be awesome. There just has to be a reason that a sorta ugly game that doesn't appear to be doing anything technically THAT impressive, runs 10-30 fps on near lowest settings in multiplayer on a 5850. Unless a 3.0 GHz e8400 really is too slow to run it, but once again I don't understand why given what the game seems to be doing.

Oh, and there are flashbangs in the game. Hello seizures. X_x Hopefully they're not used often.

A few more weapons with variations, about 8 more maps, and some major performance improvements could make the game rather good, I think. The odd thing is, the main menu (nice music by the way) shows the really nice-looking character model, running like 170 fps. Obviously that's not running the entire level, but it's not like the ingame character models are that detailed. It just feels like there's something fundamentally wrong.

Good games people who played.

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
I am not fucking lowering my settings, I will wait for a patch. Unnaceptable performance.

ameratsu

Jumped online for a quick freeplay game; my framerate is significantly more stable than it is in single player which I don't understand. 4890 o/c with latest drivers. Performance is still disappointing though.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Any idea if the GAF Server is up? That would explain my problems. lol

Also, who said there won't be any DLC? I wonder why they would bother including a DLC tab in the main menu if this is the case. =x

AwesomeSauce

MagsMoonshine
Danne-Danger said:

Reading that quote you just posted is one of the stupidest things i've read in a review from 1up.

" Why would I repair a staircase to create a shortcut to the objective when it's just going to feel like banging my head against a wall when I get there? Taking a secondary path to the same boring endpoint doesn't make what happens when you get there any more interesting."

So much for teamwork lol.

This game really seems to focus a lot of working together with teammates and when you have someone basically saying why would i create a shortcut that not only helps me out, but my team to getting to the objective faster then you are doing it wrong.

Nocebo

Twig said:

Technical issues aside, I like the game a lot. But I quit once I realized I was on a team full of bots and couldn't even switch to the same team as my friends.

F THAT S
Wait, you can't switch teams during a match? That's pretty dumb. I can't believe the horrible design decisions concerning the usability of the online play.

Twig

Banned
Nocebo said:
Wait, you can't switch teams during a match? That's pretty dumb. I can't believe the horrible design decisions concerning the usability of the online play.
You can, but it wouldn't let me, because the server populated both teams with bots, so both teams were "full".

To be fair, it is possible I'm an idiot and missed something. But the other team was grayed out and not selectable.

I'd rather play a game with no bots and like five people than a game full of bots, anyway, so it was annoying that the server even HAD bots. Dunno if you can turn 'em off, but I sure wish whoever runs the GAF server would, if they can. U:

Blizzard

Banned
Nocebo said:
I think you can switch teams, but like TF2, you can't switch if it unbalances the teams. Except in this case it balances the teams with bots, and I don't think there's a spectator team, so... :p

The one time I tried to switch teams it told me something like "you have to wait a long time to switch teams". I dunno how it works.

1UP just hasn't been the same since the Apocalypse, but that review is particularly stupid. :lol

It's fair to criticize a game, but he sounds like he barely played it or didn't even try to understand it.

Any PC players know how to get a 360 pad working? I would prefer to use it if possible. I can't believe it doesn't have native support - they've been demoing the PC build with a pad for YEARS :/

Gravitom

After three hours of play I'm definitely enjoying it a ton. Gunplay is solid and the maps are fun. It feels like old school Enemy Territory which is exactly what I was looking for. The SMART system is definitely fun and allows for some interesting tactics in approaching firefights and objectives. However I do see tons of people just lining up and choke points and having Civil War style standoffs.

Its funny I've read a few reviews and most of the game design complaints are pretty much the reason I like the game. The mechanics are pretty standard Splash Damage stuff and while they aren't for everyone, they are unique in a genre where a lot of games plays the same.

There are a bunch of problems though. I crashed a few times, the server browser sucks and I'm not a fan of the COD style unlocks. For some reason they make you leave the server to unlock stuff which is a strange oversight. Also the F key (by default) is what buffs teammates but also uses command posts. The problem is when you spawn you immediately want to spam buffs on your teammates and often end up using the command post since it sort of locks on if you are even remotely facing it. The game is not polished at all but I'm rather surprised SMART works so perfectly.

AwesomeSauce said:
Reading that quote you just posted is one of the stupidest things i've read in a review from 1up.

" Why would I repair a staircase to create a shortcut to the objective when it's just going to feel like banging my head against a wall when I get there? Taking a secondary path to the same boring endpoint doesn't make what happens when you get there any more interesting."

So much for teamwork lol.
I have no idea how he thought a staircase would help him out in a firefight, but hey, more power to him I guess! Must feel real good to have this horde of morons deciding if you get your metacritic bonus or not.

Qatar

Okay, I was so so hyped for this game as I preordered it, but after reading all those negative reviews, looks like that I'm returning my Amazon order !

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Just spent another hour on the game. I'm actually starting to enjoy it a lot more than I thought I would. It's a little frustrating, but you start to pick up on how much damage you can take and whatnot and it makes it better. I LOVE the character design more than I thought I would. Performance ins't too bad; I just really want to get rid of these stupid white lines on a game that I think looks so visually appealing.

There a GAF server yet? Don't know if the previous one's still up, I didn't really want to sort through all the pages to refind it.

crimsonheadGCN said:
Not sure if this was pointed out, but one of the people who writes for Voodoo Extreme is saying that the Joystiq's review was fishy for the sole reason that the reviewer only played a couple of hours before giving it a score:

http://ve3d.ign.com/articles/news/60202/Brink-Reviews-Are-A-Mixed-Bag-Some-Thoughts

Wouldn't surprise me. Joystiq always tries to rush out reviews so they can be first.

Twig said:
You can, but it wouldn't let me, because the server populated both teams with bots, so both teams were "full".

To be fair, it is possible I'm an idiot and missed something. But the other team was grayed out and not selectable.

I'd rather play a game with no bots and like five people than a game full of bots, anyway, so it was annoying that the server even HAD bots. Dunno if you can turn 'em off, but I sure wish whoever runs the GAF server would, if they can. U:

PC or console version?

Because it could've been a simple measure to prevent a team full of humans against a team full of bots.
TF2 server with bots do the same, you can't switch team if there's the same amount of human players in team, even with bots, or if you are in lesser number than the other team.

Edit: Beaten

Danne-Danger said:
I have no idea how he thought a staircase would help him out in a firefight, but hey, more power to him I guess! Must feel real good to have this horde of morons deciding if you get your metacritic bonus or not.

His main complain is not about the side object, is that the endpoint object is just not fun for him, so the side object is just something useless if you don't enjoy the whole thing.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Alright put a little under 4 hours into the PC version.

The Good:
- This is Enemy Territory at it's best, everything that made ET great is here in spades.
- The way the classes interact with the objectives and one another is brilliant.
- Weapon handling is nice, there is reasonable recoil and bullet spread.
- Sound design is great, guns sound fantastic, bullets whizzing past your head and hitting around you all sound fantastic.

The Bad:
- The game runs far worse then it should. I've got an i7, 12 GB of RAM, a Radeon 5870 with the latest drivers and the Brink hotfix installed and my framerate frequently dips below 30 even with everything turned all the way down.
- Sound sometimes cuts out after you get hit. Seems to be a bug in the whole sound dampening effect that occurs when you're hurt.
- I've played I think 7 of the 10 maps and so far only Container City seems to take advantage of the SMART system to any great effect. Really disappointed in the whole Parkour aspect as a whole really, not as smooth as it should be.
- The minigun is pure dogshit, what a complete waste of a weapon.

Since most of the problems are of a technical nature I think this game can be patched into something pretty special, let's hope Splash Damage follows through on that.

Twig

Banned
Qatar said:
Okay, I was so so hyped for this game as I preordered it, but after reading all those negative reviews, looks like that I'm returning my Amazon order !
Please, tell us more; you have very interesting things to say.

serotonina said:
PC or console version?

Because it could've been a simple measure to prevent a team full of humans against a team full of bots.
TF2 server with bots do the same, you can't switch team if there's the same amount of human players in team, even with bots, or if you are in lesser number than than the other team.
Haha consoles. That's a good one!

PC. And, actually, I had tried switching before that, with players on both sides, and it didn't work then, either. Maybe it was keeping the players balanced, too, I dunno. Either way, fuck bots.

I would never play TF2 with bots, either.

Nocebo said:

make a guy on the same faction as your friends

SixShotKatana

Neo Member
Twig said:

F THAT S

"We want to make sure that you don’t get in any way, in any way, an inferior [product], we want you to get everything – across all three platforms. So we implemented fireteams. What that means is that when you’re in a match you can look at the scoreboard at any given time and you can see either your friend or that player who is really good, and you can click on them and issue them an invite into your fireteam. If they accept, we’re now in fireteam alpha; there are four fireteams: alpha, bravo, charlie and delta. Because we’re in a fireteam we immediately see each other’s colours differently, so I can always spot you amongst everyone else."

"Once you’re in a fireteam you cannot get split up. You’re tied to the hip. The system is always looking behind the scenes for a map which has two slots, so when you complete a map with your fireteam buddy you will always go to the next map together. This means that you can enjoy playing Brink all night with your mate(s) without the servers ever getting in your way."

Splash Damage’s Richard ‘Rahdo’ Ham (Creative Director)

Nocebo

Twig said:

Still silly that a human can't replace a bot by switching teams. I hope they recognize it as a bug and fix it. But yeah I hope servers will eventually just turn bots off permanently.

demolitio

crimsonheadGCN said:
Not sure if this was pointed out, but one of the people who writes for Voodoo Extreme is saying that the Joystiq's review was fishy for the sole reason that the reviewer only played a couple of hours before giving it a score:

http://ve3d.ign.com/articles/news/60202/Brink-Reviews-Are-A-Mixed-Bag-Some-Thoughts
Further proving my point I said earlier. Some games only get a few hours of play (if that) so they can move on to the next game that they actually care to review. Hardcore shooters tend to be the ones that lose in that case since the reviewers can't even give the game a chance before moving on to the next one. Especially 2 MP centric shooters like S4 and Brink that require some playtime before you can get into it.

Definitely not saying the game is perfect, but there's always a few reviews out there that seem to write the game off before they even play it for a few hours. For people that supposedly love games, they don't pour the time into them to properly review them. I guess it's even worse when a lot of games are coming out at the same time.

Iztli

Sinatar said:
Alright put a little under 4 hours into the PC version.

The Good:
- This is Enemy Territory at it's best, everything that made ET great is here in spades.
- The way the classes interact with the objectives and one another is brilliant.
- Weapon handling is nice, there is reasonable recoil and bullet spread.
- Sound design is great, guns sound fantastic, bullets whizzing past your head and hitting around you all sound fantastic.

The Bad:
- The game runs far worse then it should. I've got an i7, 12 GB of RAM, a Radeon 5870 with the latest drivers and the Brink hotfix installed and my framerate frequently dips below 30 even with everything turned all the way down.
- Sound sometimes cuts out after you get hit. Seems to be a bug in the whole sound dampening effect that occurs when you're hurt.
- I've played I think 7 of the 10 maps and so far only Container City seems to take advantage of the SMART system to any great effect. Really disappointed in the whole Parkour aspect as a whole really, not as smooth as it should be.
- The minigun is pure dogshit, what a complete waste of a weapon.

Since most of the problems are of a technical nature I think this game can be patched into something pretty special, let's hope Splash Damage follows through on that.
I agree with you 100% Im really enjoying the game but it runs like poop :(

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
derFeef said:
Thanks Sin, reassuring :) Have you played with the light body type?

Yea I played around with all 3. The light body type was the most fun due to the nice speed of movement (though slower then I expected, it's not as fast as say a scout in TF2 for instance) and the fact that the submachine guns are pretty damn good. I racked up way more kills with my little SMG then I did with the minigun that's for sure.

Shoogoo

All those posts where people tell that they're returning the game/cancelling pre-order is getting on my nerves.

Give the damn game a chance.

Top Bottom