• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Brink |OT| _/^\_

cackhyena said:
Uh, what schtick? They do informal previews of a game. Expecting anything more is dumb.

Their schtick is "oh ho we're so bad at this game we don't know anything about it but it's sort of cool I guess, ok let's criticize a b and c because we're oblivious, also let's not even show viewers this other stuff because we don't realize it what they want to see herp derp".

GB sucks.

Proven

vidal said:
Oh please. There are players out there who are just fine playing games and talking at the same time, maintaining stable situational awareness. Giantbomb gets paid to do this, so yes, research into how a game works should be everyone's expectation. If I wanted to see an embarrassing video of some guy learning about a game on the fly, then I'd watch a YouTube video. Let's just be honest, Giantbomb's awful at games and the best part is that they get paid to be awful.
So you're comparing guys who are trying to review for the average gamer to A) MLG players who have played the game several more hours after it's official release and B) To live commentators that aren't answering questions and are more just saying whatever comes to mind or narrating whatever action they're doing. Gotcha.

Most of us aren't saying they're great. But they were fair enough given the state of review code given to them. They weren't the only ones.

Edit: Quoted the wrong post. This the one I was responding to:
Detox said:
Yeah, I only watch them for unreleased games as they usually get a decent amount of footage recorded but the amount of times I have face palmed myself for the obvious things they have missed is unbelievable. People saying it's hard to commentate and play is just wrong, there are MLG players who commentate on their streams for Halo and they play just as well. Starcraft Pro's occasionally commentate when playing and they don't start crying oh I lost because I was commentating. Commentating on games while playing isn't hard those that say it is should try it on their own.

They need research as well they are supposed to be gaming journalists all they know about is their own childhood favourites.

Sanic

Server info for the new page:

US Server - brinkgafuseast.clanservers.com or 68.232.167.142:27015

If anyone notices anything wrong or has any suggestions, please let me know. I'm going to restart the server at about 8:30PM EDT with an updated config file.

Genesis Knight said:
Their schtick is "oh ho we're so bad at this game we don't know anything about it but it's sort of cool I guess, ok let's criticize a b and c because we're oblivious, also let's not even show viewers this other stuff because we don't realize it what they want to see herp derp".

GB sucks.

lol. That's about the most inbred thing I've read all day.

so does the game have anything interesting in terms of unusual weapons or does it have ammo types like borderlands/ME like incendiary rounds etc?

Island

Detox said:
I just want to say Dean is doing a top job providing guys with fast feedback. Most devs would just go into party mode right now, I guess it is part of their PC heritage.

I'm gonna say that I am quite impressed with Dean's responses so far. Stuff like that restores some goodwill lost, and maintains my faith in their product. So kudos.

As I'm heading out again and wont get to play until tomorrow morning at the earliest, I've only lost an hour so of potential game playing time. Here's hoping in that time they can get some of the stuff ironed out.

Makoto

Proven said:
So you're comparing guys who are trying to review for the average gamer to A) MLG players who have played the game several more hours after it's official release and B) To live commentators that aren't answering questions and are more just saying whatever comes to mind or narrating whatever action they're doing. Gotcha.
Where in my post did I compare Giantbomb to MLG players? Some of the Giantbomb-defenders are acting like talking while playing a game and maintaining situational awareness is hard to do. It's not.

cackhyena

I dunno, I enjoy them for the most part because it's a real look at a game when it seems a lot of times, the only place to get something other than a vertical slice. One thing that did bother me is Jeff's lack of use of the Smart system. Like, not showing anything but vaulting over low objects. He has always been the biggest downer in these.

Volcynika

Firehead said:
Just created a new character; unlocked clothing items seemed to be unlocked for that character as well. The only things that aren't unlocked are the abilities.

Well that's better than nothing!

Dina

As an EU buyer who bought from the UK D2D store, I sure hope they fix their keys stat. Really would hate to screw over friday because I'm located outside of the UK when I bought Brink, which stated that The Netherlands was an eligible country to buy from.

mephixto

Banned
I think GiantBomb is doing the right thing, about not knowing absolutly nothing of the games they gonna make a quick look or a review. Imagine if they do what most of us do, research, watch tons of videos, check every stream possible, etc, all of this only get you hyped and bias and that's not good for a review.

Proven

vidal said:
Where in my post did I compare Giantbomb to MLG players? Some of the Giantbomb-defenders are acting like talking while playing a game and maintaining situational awareness is hard to do. It's not.
Oh shit, I quoted the wrong post. This was the one I meant:
Detox said:
Yeah, I only watch them for unreleased games as they usually get a decent amount of footage recorded but the amount of times I have face palmed myself for the obvious things they have missed is unbelievable. People saying it's hard to commentate and play is just wrong, there are MLG players who commentate on their streams for Halo and they play just as well. Starcraft Pro's occasionally commentate when playing and they don't start crying oh I lost because I was commentating. Commentating on games while playing isn't hard those that say it is should try it on their own.

They need research as well they are supposed to be gaming journalists all they know about is their own childhood favourites.

GlamFM

Banned
Detox said:
I just want to say Dean is doing a top job providing guys with fast feedback. Most devs would just go into party mode right now, I guess it is part of their PC heritage.

I guess it´s because the game is broken.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Genesis Knight said:

GB sucks.

Giant Bomb rocks. One of the few sites I still like.

DeanoCalver said:
Try deleting your brinkconfig.cfg

We had a similar report about the DX update causing blueness and deleting brinkconfig.cfg fixed it in that case.

I'm actually re-installing as we speak. But thanks for the feedback! In a way I'm deleting my cfg file I guess, just along with everything else.

DeanoCalver

Splash Damage
Detox said:
Whilst I appreciate the thanks, tbh its the least I can do IMHO. People who have paid good money for the game are having issues, so trying to get things sorted should be the standard expected.

Ideal world it would be perfect on release. I'm only sorry that there are problems in the first place.

The Joystiq vs Voodoo Extreme war is getting very interesting:

Joystiq:
http://twitter.com/#!/griffinmcelroy

VE:
http://twitter.com/#!/OhmWrecker

Teknoman

Lince said:
ok I'm done watching the PC stream, this game is just plain boring but I really don't want to troll Splash Damage's effort on trying a different approach to FPS' so I'll just state the obvious, the gunplay is goddamn awful, if I want a game to just throw XP numbers at me I'd play some RPG, for FPS' I want shooting to be actually fun, rewarding and skilled. Can't believe there's former KZ2 staff involved in this game.

Whats so bad about the gunplay? It seems like a decent mix of old school shooting (Unreal Tournament) mixed with relatively new school (somewhat realistic looking and acting weapons that "plague" almost every FPS release these days).

Its more about moving around, blasting, and finishing objectives, rather than feeling weighted and taking precise shots the entire match.

DeanoCalver said:
Whilst I appreciate the thanks, tbh its the least I can do IMHO. People who have paid good money for the game are having issues, so trying to get things sorted should be the standard expected.

Ideal world it would be perfect on release. I'm only sorry that there are problems in the first place.
You still deserve a hug. I command the person closest to you to give you a hug!

Lince said:
ok I'm done watching the PC stream, this game is just plain boring but I really don't want to troll Splash Damage's effort on trying a different approach to FPS' so I'll just state the obvious, the gunplay is goddamn awful, if I want a game to just throw XP numbers at me I'd play some RPG, for FPS' I want shooting to be actually fun, rewarding and skilled. Can't believe there's former KZ2 staff involved in this game.
Aaw Lince, I think you'd like it since you enjoyed KZ2. I made a post about my perspective on KZ2 having played all of SDs games before it a while back (and in the old KZ2 threads), I think there's a big chance that if you enjoy KZ2, you'll enjoy SDs style of games.

*Found it! http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=27581823&postcount=382

Don't write it off so soon!

f0rk

Teknoman said:
Whats so bad about the gunplay?

It looked terrible on stream!

walbertsmith said:
The Joystiq vs Voodoo Extreme war is getting very interesting:

Joystiq:
http://twitter.com/#!/griffinmcelroy

VE:
http://twitter.com/#!/OhmWrecker

It isn't interesting, the Voodoo guy is clearly an idiot.

Spookie

cackhyena said:
I dunno, I enjoy them for the most part because it's a real look at a game when it seems a lot of times, the only place to get something other than a vertical slice. One thing that did bother me is Jeff's lack of use of the Smart system. Like, not showing anything but vaulting over low objects. He has always been the biggest downer in these.

Yuuuuuurp.

I use to use the quick looks, as you said, for a vertical slice of the game. But the times I've managed to play the game before them. Holy shit. There are things they say which are either complete wrong or would have been clarified had they been paying attention. Since then I've stopped watching the quick looks from Jeff and Brad they REALLY need to read the manual or even simply follow the tutorial before sitting down and hitting record.

Riposte

Death Dealer said:
I never understood how GB is so popular around here. Their schtick is lame.

They are funny and have very strong chemistry. Might even be the best in this regard. This adds a nice flavor to hearing mainstream news and opinions that you would also hear on 5+ other big name sites/podcasts. Aside from those occasional moments where you might run into an author who seems like an authentic skilled player, every magazine hangs around the same skill level. I mean Jeff is basically a dude on Xbox Live(in Mortal Kombat and Call of Duty). A tier below "online warrior". I've played "him" a million times. So if nothing else watching this stuff, with entertaining commentary, is better than reading it.

Genesis Knight said:
Seriously? How do you know this?
That's what they do everytime they can't provide the in game bonus DLC. I much rather pay 20 for Rage when it comes out than get a Rage inspired gun for a different.
thezerofire said:
how do you check your amazon credit? /stupid question
You should get an email or just put and item in your basket and get to the part just before you confirm yor purchase and see if the credits were applied to it.

f0rk said:
It looked terrible on stream!

EDIT: Thought you were the other guy.

I've played it; liked the gunplay and SMART. More weapon variety would have been nice, but firing the guns felt good.

@HELLA-MONEYZ, I've never had this happen to me so I wouldn't know. Guess I'll forget about sticking a bag on my head.

Detox

Proven said:
So you're comparing guys who are trying to review for the average gamer to A) MLG players who have played the game several more hours after it's official release and B) To live commentators that aren't answering questions and are more just saying whatever comes to mind or narrating whatever action they're doing.
Well unlike the GB guys I don't think the pro players are being paid to comment or stream their games save for a few dollars from ads on JTV. The MLG players are playing on a much higher level than the GB guys which requires much more concentration etc and they still manage to commentate. They are not just commentating on their actions that would be boring, they are actually reacting to whatever other players do in the game commenting on their play, strategy etc. I would argue that is much more harder then keeping concentration while another guy asks you , so how many players does this game support? Is that gun shooting lasers? What is that on your HUD? Stuff like that should be coming off the top of your head if you're gaming journalist recording a video for your site.

Tokubetsu

So I seemed to have fixed ctds again by going back to 11.3s. FPS seemed to have improved too but everything is still a grid. At least I can play again.

styl3s

LOL @ the GB hate train, kids today amuse the shit out of me.

Picking up brink in about 30 for the 360, can't wait.

f0rk said:
A Giant Bomb hater who doesn't get sarcasm. I see.

Actually, I mixed you up with the guy who originally said gunplay looked shitty (Lince) because I've got my text tiny right now. Thought you were Lince defending his reasons. So yeah, I see you were poking fun at him.

DeanoCalver

Splash Damage
Need to blow off all the steam building up ignoring trolls all day, playing this broken game for a bit sounds like a good cure :p

360 - DeanoC if anybody wants to kick my arse or swear at my for being useless (i'm useless at Brink btw, srsly really really bad :p)

XeroSauce

Tokubetsu said:
So I seemed to have fixed ctds again by going back to 11.3s. FPS seemed to have improved too but everything is still a grid. At least I can play again.

What else is going bad? I might be able to help (I wish we had more options in the Graphics department though).

Really looking forward to getting back in tonight. I don't know how you couldn't enjoy this unless you can't run it or you're playing it for kills.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
People like Giant Bomb because of the guys, not because of...well, anything game related. This is why threads about the podcast are all memes then it dies off of the forum like a brick. Meanwhile, Weekend Confirmed has some pretty good discussions about games which, in turn, brings discussion to the forum.

As for Brink. I'm currently enjoying myself. Hate the sound bug in multiplayer though.

Lince

Banned
Danne-Danger said:
Don't write it off so soon!

I'm renting Brink to check it out since there's no single FPS out there that I haven't played and bought this gen (for the past 5-6 years) PC, 360, PS3, whatever, I've played all. Brink reminds me of MAG (simple, arcade gunplay) but with much less interesting team-based objectives, in Brink I just see people running around reviving or buffing mates while getting stuck into the same choke points over and over again. Watching these streams make me miss KZ2/BC2 and even MAG so much. Come on PSN!!!!

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
DeanoCalver said:
Need to blow off all the steam building up ignoring trolls all day, playing this broken game for a bit sounds like a good cure :p

360 - DeanoC if anybody wants to kick my arse or swear at my for being useless (i'm useless at Brink btw, srsly really really bad :p)

Just remember, it's not trolling if the complaints are legitimate, and even you have recognized the main issues being brought up.

styl3s

DeanoCalver said:

Don't worry ill join up and and be a medic, you will be UN-UN-UN-STOPPABLE

scoobs

Kintaro said:
People like Giant Bomb because of the guys, not because of...well, anything game related. This is why threads about the podcast are all memes then it dies off of the forum like a brick. Meanwhile, Weekend Confirmed has some pretty good discussions about games which, in turn, brings discussion to the forum.
truth. I don't care about their reviews/previews/anything else, I just like their personalities and find them genuinely funny most of the time. Quick looks are good only for the fact that they usually have funny commentary

styl3s

Kintaro said:

As for Brink. I'm currently enjoying myself. Hate the sound bug in multiplayer though.
Both are great, 2 completely different products.

I goto giant bomb to have fun, listen to hilarious podcasts and watch great videos and interact in ridiculous conversations

i goto WC for more serious discussions but also have a fun time.

That's what i love about options, i don't understand how anyone can hate either of them, you must hate fun and comedy if you don't like GB or WC.

Teknoman

Lince said:
I'm renting Brink to check it out since there's no single FPS out there that I haven't played and bought this gen (for the past 5-6 years) PC, 360, PS3, whatever, I've played all. Brink reminds me of MAG (simple, arcade gunplay) but with much less interesting team-based objectives, in Brink I just see people running around reviving or buffing mates while getting stuck into the same choke points over and over again. Watching these streams make me miss KZ2/BC2 and even MAG so much. Come on PSN!!!!

People getting stuck in choke points need to find other ways around via SMART. The first match I played, people were in a firefight, while I just ran up and around them, and finished one of the objectives (take a command point doing something to enemy health). Once people learn to slide, vault, climb, and wall run/wall jump (light body only for the wall mechanics), certain map spots shouldnt be so cramped all the time.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
styl3s said:
That's what i love about options, i don't understand how anyone can hate either of them, you must hate fun and comedy if you don't like GB or WC.

I hate Giantbomb's brand of "comedy." Man, I sure hate having fun. =(

Teknoman

XeroSauce said:
What else is going bad? I might be able to help (I wish we had more options in the Graphics department though).

Really looking forward to getting back in tonight. I don't know how you couldn't enjoy this unless you can't run it or you're playing it for kills.

Thats probably one of the things. It doesnt focus on KDR, so a few people on the official forums/steam forums were getting ticked. Of course the steam forums were more about technical issues, but you really shouldnt see anything about KDR on there, since you'd think they would be used to TF2...or at least familiar with it.

Alienshogun said:
Just remember, it's not trolling if the complaints are legitimate, and even you have recognized the main issues being brought up.
I don't think he meant it that way. :p
Lince said:
Yeah MAG is another good point of comparison, I enjoyed that (beta) because it reminded me of QW as well, and it's very rare that I enjoy online shooters on consoles. MAG is probably more closely related to QW though, with its open maps and all, still the map progression idea is largely the same.

Though with that game getting stuck on chokes was also an issue, I seem to remember playing SVER with you in the early days of the beta (Ostron), that was pretty much a turkey shoot all day long!

It'll probably become more interesting as players rank up and learn the maps/movements, but you never know! Good to see that you're trying it out though.

Top Bottom