• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Brink |OT| _/^\_

Falagard

Ramirez said:
I'll be interested to see 1UP's re-review, there's no way this game is a D with the patch.

I will say though, this game will live and die by the community, I had tons of medics run right past me in game and not revive me, I even kept buffing an engineers weapon because he apparently didn't know how to do it himself, lol.

Got many people on your friends list who have this game Ram? Am thinking of buying, but would like to have at least a couple of my friends who own the game.

Mr_Brit

Banned
TheExodu5 said:
You think the devs are the ones that decide when the game ships?
They've had ample time and Zenimax even delayed the game's release for 1.5 years, if you still can't ship a fundamentally broken game after that then there's clearly an inherent problem in the studio, that could be a studio wide problem or just a few people messing up or not knowing what they're doing. If this did happen then these people need to own up and face the consequences. What will likely happen is most of the top guys will go.
Genesis Knight said:
Troll confirmed.
I take it you didn't read Duckroll's new posting guidelines? You're free to debate the points I've made but you can't personally attack me or dismiss me.

Blizzard

Banned
Danne-Danger said:
My impression is that the most severe issue (framerate) is fixed or at least made much better by turning of AO, haven't seen many framerate complaints for a while now. The "blue screen (not of death)" (which I've seen pop-up a lot) seems to be fixable (temporarily?) by deleting the .cfg (the game will make a new one). Haven't seen any fixes for the sound disappearing and things like that though. Your mileage may vary, but I feel like I'm seeing less and less complaints.
With AO turned off and all settings minimum, I was getting 12-20 fps in places with an e8400 and 5850. If I have time tonight I might be daring and try the ATI hotfix, but I have seen explicit warnings in this thread NOT to use the latest ATI drivers, since they cause white line artifacts and potentially make performance worse.

If anyone has console vars or config settings to improve performance more than turning AO off, please let me know. I can try turning off forced texture filtering in CCC, but I highly doubt that is giving me a performance hit.

Shoogoo

Mr_Brit said:
Really? I'm sure they could trim like 5 people, just get rid of the people responsible, can't be more than 5.

Who do you think you are? You don't know jack shit stop trolling with your little hands.

Wishing people to loose their jobs, great.

Raide

Damn, waiting till 13th sucks :( (360 UK ver)

I hope the LAG issues smooth out, since that is the make or break thing for me. No matter how good the game is, if you get annoying laggy games, it will put you right off.

I sit firmly in the camp of "I read reviews but I don't base my purchases around them." I will be picking up Brink because it fits in with the type of games I enjoy. I have enough disposable income to burn a few games here and there. :D

In regards to the pre-order codes, I found out from GAME that the codes come in with the packs, not as a usual hand out. I was hoping to get a few for BrinkGAF but no such luck :(

Mr_Brit said:
So knowingly shipping broken products is better? How would you feel if Samsung shipped knowingly broken TVs and brushed off those affected? You would expect severe consequences.

They did with their DLP's and the faulty DMD chips. Problem didn't get remedied until after the release of the sets.

Troll harder next time.

Can't wait for the community thread with less idiots.

Detox said:
The right decision meaning that they will stop support for this game? So that means you have no interest in the game or its future remind what you're doing in this thread again?
He's just trolling. Doesn't even sound like he owns the game, and is going by the negative reviews to claim that the game is broken and a failure.

I've played the game for 5 hours now and I don't understand what's quite "broken" about it. I've played games in far, far worse states at launch. STALKER: Shadow of Chernobyl was what I'd call a broken game at launch. That Impulse DoTA clone was a broken game at launch. This? Pfft.

Blizzard said:
With AO turned off and all settings minimum, I was getting 12-20 fps in places with an e8400 and 5850. If I have time tonight I might be daring and try the ATI hotfix, but I have seen explicit warnings in this thread NOT to use the latest ATI drivers, since they cause white line artifacts and potentially make performance worse..
Ah, well Deano did specifically say there were problems with dual-cores as well... but if it's unplayable as is I don't see a reason to not try the hotfix, who knows?

Volcynika

Revolutionary said:
He's just trolling. Doesn't even sound like he owns the game, and is going by the negative reviews to claim that the game is broken and a failure.

I've played the game for 5 hours now and I don't understand what's quite "broken" about it. I've played games in far, far worse states at launch. STALKER: Shadow of Chernobyl was what I'd call a broken game at launch. That Impulse DoTA clone was a broken game at launch. This? Pfft.

Stalker just wasn't broken, it was an ADVENTURE. :p

Teknoman

Blizzard said:
With AO turned off and all settings minimum, I was getting 12-20 fps in places with an e8400 and 5850. If I have time tonight I might be daring and try the ATI hotfix, but I have seen explicit warnings in this thread NOT to use the latest ATI drivers, since they cause white line artifacts and potentially make performance worse.

If anyone has console vars or config settings to improve performance more than turning AO off, please let me know. I can try turning off forced texture filtering in CCC, but I highly doubt that is giving me a performance hit.

Thats strange that you're getting 12-20 fps with what I guess is a better video card than mine (4870, I get thrown off by recent video card naming conventions lol). AO set to off really does seem like the only performance improvement at the moment, and I hope they permanently remove the option in the first patch. I havent tried the older drivers to see if they fix the white lines, but i'll give that a shot in a few.

I just hope we get the game fixed to a point where people with reasonbly up to date PCs get a smooth 60 fps at all points, rather than just the menu (which skyrocketed to 100+ fps for me after turing AO off).

spiderman123 said:
The game graphics are messed up for me......Is this how it actually is or am I doing something wrong?! (xbox 360)

Messed up how?

Mr_Brit

Banned
Shoogoo said:
Who do you think you are? You don't know jack shit stop trolling with your little hands.

Wishing people to loose their jobs, great.
FrostuTheNinja said:

They did with their DLP's and the faulty DMD chips. Problem didn't get remedied until after the release of the sets.

Troll harder next time.

Can't wait for the community thread with less idiots.
I want those responsible to face consequences, I don't want the company to shut or anything as there are tons of people working there who surely weren't pleased about the state the game shipped in. This is equally so for RROD, the PSN ID loss etc. Not everyone at Sony/MS was responsible but you can be sure that the people responsible faced the right consequences.

Also, Duckroll's wise new posting guidelines prohibit what you just did to stop legitimate discussion by dismissing others as trolls:
Duckroll said:
Be polite, please
In general when posting in threads, don't be a dick. Be respectful of other fellow members, and learn to argue against the points in a discussion without making it personal or insulting the other party.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Mr_Brit said:
They've had ample time and Zenimax even delayed the game's release for 1.5 years, if you still can't ship a fundamentally broken game after that then there's clearly an inherent problem in the studio, that could be a studio wide problem or just a few people messing up or not knowing what they're doing. If this did happen then these people need to own up and face the consequences. What will likely happen is most of the top guys will go.

I take it you didn't read Duckroll's new posting guidelines? You're free to debate the points I've made but you can't personally attack me or dismiss me.

Man, I sure loved it when Epic let all of their top guys go after they shipped Gears 2 with a completely broken online that they never fixed. Sure showed them.

How about those Capcom execs that shipped Marvel vs. Capcom 3 with broken online (and gameplay systems)? Crazy how they got canned. They had 10 years to plan that game out!

How about...blah blah blah. How about you check yourself before you go wishing for people's jobs over a video game that can be fixed. You are not bringing discussion to the topic in any way, shape or form. You are demanding people's jobs over issues that can be fixed. That is asinine.

klaytonix

Neo Member
Played for a few hours last night. I'll be honest with you.. at first I wasn't liking it. In fact, almost the first hour and a half I wasn't enjoying myself. It seemed I was having issues with framerate, lag, and playing with stupid people. Well, I installed the AMD patch which seemed to fix most of the framerate issues for me. Then after about an hour of trying to find a good server, I finally found one that had people on it who actually played together as a team. From there, I had a ton of fun with the game. I think this game will actually get much better once people figure out how to play it. It's a team based game, and working together as a team is how it's supposed to be played. I have read some comments about it being similar to MAG in that regard, and I think that is accurate.

However, this game still has some issues. First, the SMART movement seems a little jerky. I'm not sure exactly what it is. It could be the animations themselves, famerate hiccups, or server lag. The AMD patched helped a little, but something still seems a little off. I kinda have a feeling its server lag, but not really sure. I only played a few minutes on single player and I can't remember it being that jerky. I'll need to play more single player to verify though. Another problem is the bot AI. Thats why I only played a few minutes on single player. It's bad, and this game should only be played with real players.

If taken as a multiplayer only game, it's actually pretty fun... if you can find a good server. Do not buy this game as a single player game. I actually find it funny that reviews came in at midnight on a game where the best part of it is the multiplayer, because I would give it a low score if I only based it on single player. I blame the developer/publisher for that. This game should have only been a multiplayer game, and marketed as such.

I'm looking forward to putting more time in, and see where this game goes. Overall, it's got some bright spots, and is a patch away from being a very enjoyable game, if not a gem.

Nocebo

-PXG- said:
Hmmmm

- Just like the GT review mentioned, the SMART parkour maneuvers are very situational. It doesn't seem like the maps were designed around it. There really isn't any use for them, besides being stylish
You're kidding right? From what I've seen the smart movement gives a big advantage in most maps. Maybe you need to get the hang of it first.

Teknoman

klaytonix said:
Played for a few hours last night. I'll be honest with you.. at first I wasn't liking it. In fact, almost the first hour and a half I wasn't enjoying myself. It seemed I was having issues with framerate, lag, and playing with stupid people. Well, I installed the AMD patch which seemed to fix most of the framerate issues for me. Then after about an hour of trying to find a good server, I finally found one that had people on it who actually played together as a team. From there, I had a ton of fun with the game. I think this game will actually get much better once people figure out how to play it. It's a team based game, and working together as a team is how it's supposed to be played. I have read some comments about it being similar to MAG in that regard, and I think that is accurate.

However, this game still has some issues. First, the SMART movement seems a little jerky. I'm not sure exactly what it is. It could be the animations themselves, famerate hiccups, or server lag. The AMD patched helped a little, but something still seems a little off. I kinda have a feeling its server lag, but not really sure. I only played a few minutes on single player and I can't remember it being that jerky. I'll need to play more single player to verify though. Another problem is the bot AI. Thats why I only played a few minutes on single player. It's bad, and this game should only be played with real players.

If taken as a multiplayer only game, it's actually pretty fun... if you can find a good server. Do not buy this game as a single player game. I actually find it funny that reviews came in at midnight on a game where the best part of it is the multiplayer, because I would give it a low score if I only based it on single player. I blame the developer/publisher for that. This game should have only been a multiplayer game, and marketed as such.

I'm looking forward to putting more time in, and see where this game goes. Overall, it's got some bright spots, and is a patch away from being a very enjoyable game, if not a gem.

Just remember: SMART running is a toggle, not a hold command. Also you can mantle/climb over rails and ledges without using a SMART running start (Jump at the spot you want to climb).

EDIT: I wonder if the Bethesda Insiders will put RAGE or Skyrim on the XP store...

I know I'm late (just woke up) but lol, capped 30fps? Just like Quake Wars!
Hopefully they'll remove it in a patch. Guess I'm glad I didn't blindbuy the PC version after all...

Mr_Brit said:
So people voicing their legitimate concerns about a game which was knowingly shipped broken is trolling in your opinion? Lol, keep it classy Splash Damage. I'm sure Zenimax will make the right decision in a few months.
GAF never disappoints.

Achamian said:
Uk user, no key here either, downloaded from link, installer doesnt even have an english language option wtf?!
LOL! Shouldn't be laughing though, I hope they iron everything out until Friday, weather's supposed to be shit so I'd be down for wrenching some objectives.

derFeef

spiderman123 said:
Like there isn't any detail on the bots, walls and gun it looks smooth do I have to change some sort of setting.?

Edit:almost like paint mixed with water
Sounds like your textures do not load, weird. Tried installing it? Did you get the patch?

AgentOtaku said:
Hopefully they'll remove it in a patch. Guess I'm glad I didn't blindbuy the PC version after all...
It's not capped, it's just that AO (mistakenly on by default, shouldn't be in the game!) has enough of an impact to make it seem that way, from what I understand. :p

And you could remove it in QW, com_unlockFPS 1 etc.!

Teknoman

spiderman123 said:
Like there isn't any detail on the bots, walls and gun it looks smooth do I have to change some sort of setting.?

Edit:almost like paint mixed with water

So some kinda texture load issue maybe?

derFeef said:
Sounds like your textures do not load, weird. Tried installing it? Did you get the patch?

I have the 360 version I downloaded the 360 3mb update but that was it. Do I have to change the settings on my hd tv.

Edit : I'll install it and see how it runs as suggested

maxxpower said:
Has anybody gotten the PS3 version? Will the PS3 version get the patch? Is this game fun playing against bots?

Answer to last question is 'probably not' unless you're not like most people. I'll try to get you guys a PS3 report later. But it's not getting a patch AFAIK.

Blizzard said:

FOR ATI USERS:

Word on the Steam forum is that setting r_shadows 0 helps with framerate performance. I haven't done it yet, but it's something to try.

To open the console, press ctrl+alt+~. It's an id tech 4 thing.

Danne-Danger said:
It's not capped, it's just that AO (mistakenly on by default, shouldn't be in the game!) has enough of an impact to make it seem that way, from what I understand. :p

And you could remove it in QW, com_unlockFPS 1 etc.!

Yeah, still catching up with the thread (so happy to see this getting so much attention on GAF!) and just noticed that's it's indeed not capped. Word!

wwm0nkey

AgentOtaku said:
Its not capped, remove AO and you will be getting 100+ FPS on a good machine.

krameriffic said:
FOR ATI USERS:

Word on the Steam forum is that setting r_shadows 0 helps with framerate performance. I haven't done it yet, but it's something to try.

To open the console, press ctrl+alt+~. It's an id tech 4 thing.

So no shadows? That's lame as hell...

maxxpower said:
Will the PS3 version get the patch?
Deano said something about the difficulties of getting the streaming of textures running properly on 360 before, hence the day 1 patch to fix/help with that. Don't think the PS3 suffers from the same problem.

Spookie

Teknoman said:
Just remember: SMART running is a toggle, not a hold command. Also you can mantle/climb over rails and ledges without using a SMART running start (Jump at the spot you want to climb).

Apparently using Crouch/Jump instead of holding shift will allow you to mantle and climb quicker.

For example I've seen people mantle walls quicker if they tapped jump slightly before the wall to scramble up it.

Well thanks for the swift reply to the questions DeanoCalver.

We don't mean to sound like overentitled little shits, but there is a certain fatigue involved on our side with release after release being a buggy/poorly performing mess on pc combined with the sometimes empty promises of a wonder patch 'soon'.

There are also certain standards (not entitlement) for features but you seem to have at least met those with the game.

I'll check it out when the performance is at it should be.

Btw it's a bit weird that so many games have issues on the hd4000 series (or ati cards in general), they are a very popular line of cards, they were best bang for buck a few years ago.
Most people with a 4870 don't really have much reason to upgrade yet, and there are ofcourse those with a monster 4870x2.
You'd kind of think that there would be more testing before release on different hardware, especially on popular hardware. (dual cores, ati cards, hd48xx, 58xx, gtx 2xx/460 etc.)

Also thanks for the motion blur command, motion blur =/= ghosting, but I prefer to turn it off in mp games anyway.

jtrov

Just received my copy from UPS, and I'm installing the game now (360). I'll be on in like 10 minutes if anyone wants to play a few games.

Sanic

Genesis Knight said:
I can't remember, is DigitalFoundry or LensOfTruth supposed to be more accurate?

DF.

And the LoT article has been posted in the thread already, so we didn't miss it.

Spookie said:
Apparently using Crouch/Jump instead of holding shift will allow you to mantle and climb quicker.

For example I've seen people mantle walls quicker if they tapped jump slightly before the wall to scramble up it.
Is there a separate button for sprint only (must be right?)? If I want to do a sprinting slide, I'd have to press crouch and sprint at the same time? (that'd mean no CTRL crouch for me if sprint is on shift...)
(._.) said:
Does anybody know of a fix yet for the blue screen?
Someone said that deleting the/a .cfg (config.cfg?) would/could resolve it (it'll make a new one when you restart the game). I have no idea where it is though, either in the game folder or somewhere in documents.

Top Bottom