• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Brink |OT| _/^\_

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
I can't wait until this thread settles down, negative people move on to other games, some patches start rolling out so people who stick with the game can talk about enjoying themselves and discussing the game. =D

teepo

this thread really annoys me.

someone with some sense of responsibility create a topic in the online community so those who actually want to play, especially pc gamers, can coordinate with one another.

DevelopmentArrested said:
My favorite excuse for a bad game: "youre just not playing it right!!!1

Yeah, it's used as duck and cover by fans but sometimes it's a legitimate comment. Often you'll get a bad impression of a game when you don't have any idea what you're doing.

derFeef

54-46! said:
Well, I can see this thread is going places.. are you guys actually gonna start discussing the game any time soon rather than whether GB is good or bad and funny or unfunny?

Here's the Giant Bomb thread:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=392431
teepo said:
this thread really annoys me.

someone with some sense of responsibility create a topic in the online community so those who actually want to play, especially pc gamers, can coordinate with one another.
True and true.

HildyB

EagleEyes said:
Was there a patch for the 360 version today? Just wondering.

There was a title update waiting, don't know if that was before it really went live or in reaction to all the uproar.

Kintaro said:
I can't wait until this thread settles down, negative people move on to other games, some patches start rolling out so people who stick with the game can talk about enjoying themselves and discussing the game. =D

Yeah, point taken.

Teknoman

DevelopmentArrested said:
My favorite excuse for a bad game: "youre just not playing it right!!!1

Its not an unreasonable excuse at times. Like Bulletstorm, some people REALLY arent playing it right. A decent amount of people got turned off from BS immediately, since they were trying to play it like CoD (having to use sights instead of the crosshair the majority of the time...even when point blank/ 3 feet from the enemy).

"You're doing it wrong" may be tossed around alot on the internet, but often its an accurate statement. Hell, the same thing happened with Vanquish, Bayonetta, or even Gears of War. I've even had complaints from people that TF2 sucks because you "can only use two guns and its cartoony".

jtrov

Awesome, I was also credited another $10 from Amazon. I'll take that over the Psycho Pack anyway. So basically with all the Amazon credit, I'm getting Brink and LA Noire for $65, which isn't bad at all. Hopefully the lag issues in Brink get resolved, because watching Brandon's stream and the game seems to be exactly what I'm hoping for. Can't wait for UPS to deliver, so I can hop on and try my luck with the online.

It seems a lot of the posts in this topic are by people not even interested in playing the game. What's up with that? Makes reading quite a hassle - have to wade through countless posts...ugh.

Dina said:
As an EU buyer who bought from the UK D2D store, I sure hope they fix their keys stat. Really would hate to screw over friday because I'm located outside of the UK when I bought Brink, which stated that The Netherlands was an eligible country to buy from.
I'm in the same boat. Didn't get a key at all but a download link. Apparently it's for the NA version?! Downloading anyway, it's only 5 gig.

Phife Dawg said:
It seems a lot of the posts in this topic are by people not even interested in playing the game. What's up with that? Makes reading quite a hassle - have to wade through countless posts...ugh.

I agree. Luckily I've got a few of these people ignored. I would be interested in a Community thread so that people who don't play can stay the fuck out.

vidal said:
Some of the Giantbomb-defenders are acting like talking while playing a game and maintaining situational awareness is hard to do. It's not.
Wrong. Extremely wrong. Psychologically and logically wrong. It is VERY HARD to play a game "to win" aka fully immersed using your full attention and talk about something other than how to play to win. It is very much like playing the piano. You just don't realize how dumb you look and sound when playing games. Nobody does. It takes self awareness to recognize such a thing. When 100% immersed in a game, you don't have the time to stop and realize it took 3 seconds to respond to someone right in front of you.To you, the conversation is going fine, to the other person you sound like your iq dropped 75 points. Your mouth is agape amongst other oddities. Nobody has 150% attention. Not even self-absorbed leet-dumbasses on Gaf.

I'll repeat, GB is not trying to win the match. They're trying to show the game and talk about it in realtime. Again, talking clearly and precisely with no pauses > high level play.

There's good reason why EVERYBODY puts in their two cents after taking footage except GB, these guys don't and that helps to get the in-the-moment opinions and thoughts that you don't get with people that talk afterward. They both have their ups and downs. The question is, what in the world does that have anything to do your self-esteem? These previews are NOT about impressing you or making you feel better about yourself. If it does, fine, why are people posting this crap online? Is it some self-esteem multiplier to tell the public how much better you are than some guy online?

I'm out. this thread is embarrassing.

I just got the game and the graphics are off on mine. I have an Xbox and Toshiba hi def (1080p) TV. Am I doing something wrong ( or is there a particular setting)?

Ramirez

Well, I did all of the 2 star challenges and hopped online, the game is pretty freaking awesome, IMO. This is just after 2 matches, the 2nd did have some lag issues towards the end of it, but it seemed to correct itself in a minute or two.

In only 2 matches I already want to smack the 1UP reviewer for saying building things like shortcuts are pointless, good lord.

Don't let the reviews scare you off from this one, if the guy posting in here from SD is any indication, I'm pretty confident the lag will be cleaned up in due time, the actual gameplay is really good, especially if you like objective based games. This isn't a lone wolf slayer game, so stay away if that's you.

KiKaL

So is the percentage of PC users having troubles really high? Or is this one of those things where it seems worst then it is because your going to be much more inclined to log on and complain about it not working then working.

This game kind of flew under my radar but looks like something I'd enjoy. This thread is kind of scaring me off though. I do have an upper tier quad core system.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Kintaro said:

Pretty much. You just have to wait a week until the haters leave.

Mr_Brit

Banned
DeanoCalver said:
Need to blow off all the steam building up ignoring trolls all day, playing this broken game for a bit sounds like a good cure :p

360 - DeanoC if anybody wants to kick my arse or swear at my for being useless (i'm useless at Brink btw, srsly really really bad :p)
So people voicing their legitimate concerns about a game which was knowingly shipped broken is trolling in your opinion? Lol, keep it classy Splash Damage. I'm sure Zenimax will make the right decision in a few months.

derFeef

Mr_Brit said:
So people voicing their legitimate concerns about a game which was knowingly shipped broken is trolling in your opinion? Lol, keep it classy Splash Damage. I'm sure Zenimax will make the right decision in a few months.
I am sure he was talking about other people. And I hope your last sentence is a joke because its not funny.

Ramirez said:
Well, I did all of the 2 star challenges and hopped online, the game is pretty freaking awesome, IMO. This is just after 2 matches, the 2nd did have some lag issues towards the end of it, but it seemed to correct itself in a minute or two.

360 or PC?

Mr_Brit said:
I'm sure Zenimax will make the right decision in a few months.

Get that shit out of here, son. Wishing people to lose jobs? That's fucking low.

Ramirez said:

In only 2 matches I already want to smack the 1UP reviewer for saying building things like shortcuts are pointless, good lord.

Don't let the reviews scare you off from this one, if the guy posting in here from SD is any indication, I'm pretty confident the lag will be cleaned up in due time, the actual gameplay is really good, especially if you like objective based games. This isn't a lone wolf slayer game, so stay away if that's you.
what system?

Achamian

Phife Dawg said:

I'm in the same boat. Didn't get a key at all but a download link. Apparently it's for the NA version?! Downloading anyway, it's only 5 gig.

Uk user, no key here either, downloaded from link, installer doesnt even have an english language option wtf?!

Ramirez

Genesis Knight said:
360 or PC?

Get that shit out of here, son. That's fucking low.

Like I said though, I only played 2 matches, it could be that my next 10 will be filled with lag, lol. My initial impressions are really good though. :p

Volcynika

I'm still kinda unsure why only some of the cosmetic changes you make on a character are permanent, like tattoos. Though I'm ok with my Psycho with surgical staples. :p

Do we really need shit like this?

TheExodu5

Banned
Mr_Brit said:

Give Deano some credit, at least he's doing a great job staying in touch with GAF.

Mr_Brit

Banned
derFeef said:
I am sure he was talking about other people. And I hope your last sentence is a joke because its not funny.
Genesis Knight said:
360 or PC?

Get that shit out of here, son. Wishing people to lose jobs? That's fucking low.
So knowingly shipping broken products is better? How would you feel if Samsung shipped knowingly broken TVs and brushed off those affected? You would expect severe consequences.

I'm sure a large part of Splash Damage are good guys but that still means that they have to suffer the consequences for the actions of the bad guys in their company as they operate as one group.

Ideal situation would be for the guys who messed up to go and let the others have another chance.

KiKaL said:
So is the percentage of PC users having troubles really high? Or is this one of those things where it seems worst then it is because your going to be much more inclined to log on and complain about it not working then working.

This game kind of flew under my radar but looks like something I'd enjoy. This thread is kind of scaring me off though. I do have an upper tier quad core system.
My impression is that the most severe issue (framerate) is fixed or at least made much better by turning of AO, haven't seen many framerate complaints for a while now. The "blue screen (not of death)" (which I've seen pop-up a lot) seems to be fixable (temporarily?) by deleting the .cfg (the game will make a new one). Haven't seen any fixes for the sound disappearing and things like that though. Your mileage may vary, but I feel like I'm seeing less and less complaints.

Now I'm sure this'll bite me in the ass due Friday (when I get the game), but hey! I'm a positive guy.
Mr_Brit said:
See the top of the page and try to not be an asshat towards a guy working to fix your problems.

Mr_Brit said:

Well, I mean, I havent played it yet, and there definitely seems to be some legit concerns out there. That said, as someone that has followed this thread since 6 am EST time, Ive seen the same names, over and over, hate on this thread. Game didnt turn out the way you wanted day 1, youre not buying it..... great, thats completely your choice. However, once you've made that choice and expressed your disappointment.... move on. Most are sticking around posting still, wanting to watch the game burn.

Just my observation. Cheers.

-PXG-

Hmmmm

- Just like the GT review mentioned, the SMART parkour maneuvers are very situational. It doesn't seem like the maps were designed around it. There really isn't any use for them, besides being stylish

- The force feedback, at least on the PS3 version, is too weak. It needs to be more robust. Also, there is no vibration at all whenever you're doing any SMART moves. I'd like a better sense of whenever I'm holding onto an edge or perform a wall jump. I believe there isn't any rumble when you perform a melee as well.

- Hit detection isn't convincing. This is probably one of the most important aspects of any shooting game. I want to know when my bullets are hitting my target. Blood splatter, sparks, contortions, grunts, moans, ect. Gears of War and Halo have done a great job at this. Not only does it make the experience more visceral, but it helps me know that my bullets aren't whiffing into the air, but instead making contact with my target. Small visual and audio indicators of doing damage also helps the player conserve ammo too.

Other than that, Brink is pretty good. Graphics are solid, though it doesn't look as good as it did in preview videos last year. The music and audio design are excellent. The character and weapon customization, so far, is deep and very well thought out.

Detox

Mr_Brit said:
The right decision meaning that they will stop support for this game? So that means you have no interest in the game or its future remind what you're doing in this thread again?

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Mr_Brit said:
So knowingly shipping broken products is better? How would you feel of Samsung shipped knowingly broken TVs and brushed off those affected? You would expect severe consequences.

Microsoft made a system knowing full well it had a RROD problem. It took them out long to admit it? They corrected the problem and people still buy the console. Hell, people bought 3-5 of them.

Why don't you extend SD the same courtesy and allow them to fix the problems? Or is that too much to ask?

Gave the game another shot, had a blast.

Got on a team that was well balanced and everyone was good about buffs/ammo/revives. Played 3 games with no rubber banding. 4th game the sound cut out so I gotta find out whats up with that.

Gameplay question:

What's the deal with joining a server and sitting in spectate mode? I was in a server that was really only 5v5 but showed up as a 16 person in the browser. After sitting thru that round spots opened up and I got on a team but a few mins later the same happened to the next batch of people that joined.

Am I doing something wrong?

Ramirez

I'll be interested to see 1UP's re-review, there's no way this game is a D with the patch.

I will say though, this game will live and die by the community, I had tons of medics run right past me in game and not revive me, I even kept buffing an engineers weapon because he apparently didn't know how to do it himself, lol.

Man just got owned during 2-star Tower Defense, made it to the last wave and just got bum rushed. :( Damn it! Really loving the game though now that I've unlocked a lot of abilities and reached level 10. I like the system, how you get exp for doing anything right so even if you lose horribly you still get a nice chunk.

I dunno if it's just me, but it also seems like jumping into online games has become quicker, kinda weird, maybe fewer people are playing because it "sucks" so much.

I do have a question though, how are lower level characters encouraged to do well against higher level characters? I had originally thought that abilities and traits could only be equipped to some limit. Meaning you can't have all abilities up at all times, but it seems more like.. once you buy them they're there for good. So higher level players certainly have quite an advantage. Maybe I'm mistaken though.

Mr_Brit

Banned
Detox said:
The right decision meaning that they will stop support for this game? So that means you have no interest in the game or its future remind what you're doing in this thread again?
By right decision I mean hopefully getting rid of the devs who ensured the game shipped broken and keeping the rest and giving them a chance as they clearly have a lot of talented people working there. I'm not hoping for their closure, just consequences for the people who messed up.

derFeef

Mr_Brit said:
So knowingly shipping broken products is better? How would you feel if Samsung shipped knowingly broken TVs and brushed off those affected? You would expect severe consequences.

I'm sure a large part of Splash Damage are good guys but that still means that they have to suffer the consequences for the actions of the bad guys in their company as they operate as one group.

Ideal situation would be for the guys who messed up to go and let the others have another chance.
SD is just ~65 people, any loss would be hazardous.

Jinaar

Just purchased (360), 4 hrs before I can play it. I'm going in thinking this is going to be a very Shadowrun experience mixed together with BC2/TF2. I am ok with this purchase.

TheExodu5

Banned
Mr_Brit said:
By right decision I mean hopefully getting rid of the devs who ensured the game shipped broken and keeping the rest and giving them a chance as they clearly have a lot of talented people working there. I'm not hoping for their closure, just consequences for the people who messed up.

You think the devs are the ones that decide when the game ships?

Ramirez said:
I'll be interested to see 1UP's re-review, there's no way this game is a D with the patch.

What are you gonna do? Grade the game on the potential of a patch? What if one doesn't come right away or at all? They should grade the game consumers will buy on day one. If its a D in their eyes they are within their right to say so.

Teknoman

Mr_Brit said:

I dont think its always the developers who have a hand in shipping a game with alot of glitches/performance problems. The publishers should share equal blame.

On that note, at least it properly supports 16:10 resoultions. Epic/People can fly's Bulletstorm still hasnt received a PC version patch to fix the black bars on 16:10 resolutions or performance issues (its not really bad, but still performs at lower levels on systems that should be able to maintain a steady 60 fps no matter what)...and thats after posting a "we're working on it" message on the Epic forums 2 months or so ago.

Top Bottom