• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Brink |OT| _/^\_

Played the first Resistance mission offline and this game is pretty fing sweet. Really like it. I'll have to hop online a little bit later but I'm liking the gunplay, sound, and graphics so far. 360 version.

derFeef

Taborcarn said:
They're talking with the creative director from SD, he's addressing the negative reviews and some of the tech issues. The players are actually playing well too, using the SMART system intelligently.
Yeah, enjoying that (even if campaign)

Detox

Taborcarn said:
Oh look here someone who can play the game and answer questions at the same time. Wow this guy has evolved beyond us mere mortals.

That Joystiq vs Voodoo thing is blowing up on twitter. I feel sorry for the voodoo guy for some reason all the journalists seem to be uniting behind the joystiq guy and saying how dare you question a fellow journalist smh.

george_us

Only put an hour into it but I'm really liking it so far. The game has a lot of communication issues imo but I think I'm just a sucker for team based shooters.

Well the gameplay itself is extremely fun in Brink. However, performance issues and lag are killing this game for me. My x3 720 and 5770 struggle to keep this game at 30 fps, that's with medium shadows, high textures and none of the other check boxes marked. It's tough to shoot people with constant lag as well.

One thing I have a huge problem with are the challenges. I should never be forced to play with idiot bots to unlock anything in this game. But if I want access to some weapons and weapon customizations, I am forced to play in ridiculous bot challenges, that really proves how fucking dumb the AI of this game is. Seriously, I don't even know if I will ever unlock those, because of how god damn frustrating trying to play with the AI is. The cutscenes between matches in a multiplayer match need to go as well. I want to play the game, not the story mode, ever.

Another personal disappointment, is the lack of controller support on the PC. I want to be able to play the best possible version of the game, with the controls that I want, but that just isn't possible with Brink. Splash Damage will say in interviews how they play with the 360 controller on PC and demo the game that way as well, but won't let their customers enjoy that and is extremely frustrating for me. It's also a reason why I will be getting the 360 version, even though I know it won't run near as good as the PC, even with the performance issues I am having.

Overall, Brink has some very solid gameplay and a lot of good ideas. I really want to play this game, but certain issues are holding me back.

Put in another 4 hours, I like it.

Not sure if I like drum mags, does it lower your total ammo count in exchange for the huge mags?

Medium body type with an AR/SMG combo is fun. I like the ammo giving class the best, medic is 2nd best. I don't like the spy class very much.

Game has a fine framerate for me, my only problem is rubber banding around and it seems like my view will randomly fly in one direction. IE I'm running north all of a sudden I'm looking west and at the floor, no idea whats up w/ that.

Got a 2x nade :D -
http://cloud.steampowered.com/ugc/595810667897465983/8EA1A9BE7C3FDEF80CC96EBCEC4EF9BA3CA97E43/

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Teknoman said:
Yeah especially after that whole Oddboxx debacle. Of course thats supposed to be getting fixed (or still under repairs atm) but it just sucks that things get rushed these days albeit under different circumstances.
ATI has always struggled with OpenGL titles, but there aren't that many being released these days.

(._.)

Banned
Teknoman said:
Guess its not a hotfix issue, and i'm sure you've done all the basic stuff...have you tried completely reinstalling the game? Maybe something went wrong in the unlock process?
It seems like it both ATI and Nivida cards are both encountering this glitch. Seems like I've seen more people with Nivida cards getting it.

I uninstalled it about 50 minutes ago and redownloading it now via Steam.

Tokubetsu

Landmines are great. Some heavy assault and my medium engi managed to fend of a hack objective from careful landmine placement and his buffed weapon.

Zerokku said:
I think his point is completely valid, but theres no reason for dork to have posted though.
what he is saying is that the game really deserved a 1/5. On top of that if you can't handle a few angry internet nerds what's the point?

Spookie

Taborcarn said:
They're talking with the creative director from SD, he's addressing the negative reviews and some of the tech issues. The players are actually playing well too, using the SMART system intelligently.

This interview is really interesting. Really exciting to see how fanatical he is about making the game fun and fair.

BROTHERS! The Brink EU PC server is up: 109.70.148.193:27035

Geoff9920

Ken said:
Is the tutorial video worth the 20 minutes to watch?
If you're only watching it for the xp, then it's not really worth it. You can get 1000xp in a match with very minimal effort. Also, the tutorial videos are the same videos they've posting on gaming sites prior to release.

Detox

The creative director said the bots difficulty scale according to the number of human players on the other team and as time runs out the bots become more aggressive in attacking the objective.

I'm finding the Be Objective two star challenge to be kind of frustrating to play on my own. My bot teammates are retarded and so are the enemy but the security bots all seem to home in on and attack me while the friendly bots don't do a very good job of assisting/covering me. I'm finding I have to take down an entire wave of enemies on my own and try to complete the objective before the next wave respawns while my teammates mill about doing whatever it is they do.

Detox said:
The creative director said the bots difficulty scale according to the number of human players on the other team and as time runs out the bots become more aggressive in attacking the objective.
Also that they "start out as newbies and that's why they're standing still a lot", did you catch what he said about the bots ramping it up? Apart from more people joining and choosing harder modes (which a few gaffers seem to disagree with), they just get progressively better during the campaign, depending on player XP or what? Didn't quite get that part.

He also said they could fix that "scaling" bot behavior if they needed to with the cvars.
maxxpower said:
Does this game have splitscreen co-op like Borderlands?
No splitscreen, it has "co-op" in the sense that you can play with a friend against bots and earn XP for your character as you would playing player vs. player MP.

derFeef

Danne-Danger said:
Also that they "start out as newbies and that's why they're standing still a lot", did you catch what he said about the bots ramping it up? Apart from more people joining and choosing harder modes (which a few gaffers seem to disagree with), they just get progressively better during the campaign, depending on player XP or what? Didn't quite get that part.
They are getting more aggressive towards the end of the match.

jaundicejuice said:
I'm finding the Be Objective two star challenge to be kind of frustrating to play on my own. My bot teammates are retarded and so are the enemy but the security bots all seem to home in on and attack me while the friendly bots don't do a very good job of assisting/covering me. I'm finding I have to take down an entire wave of enemies on my own and try to complete the objective before the next wave respawns while my teammates mill about doing whatever it is they do.
I am having the same issues with the challenges. You have to complete everything on your own against a team full of fast respawning bots. The bots on your team barely do anything to assist you either. I want the weapons and attachments that come from the challenges, but I should be able to earn those in a regular match like everything else in the game. Really lame that I am forced to play with the terrible bots to unlock anything.

derFeef said:
Yeah I agree, the whole AI and Campaign thing feels kind of tacked on. I am happy I only care fore the online. Hopefully there is a fairly large anda ctive community until BF3.

I only care for the online as well. However, if you want to use any weapon attachments (and some weapons) at all, you are forced to play in the challenge modes against bots. Have fun trying to hack an objective when you have 5 bots shooting you in the back. Exercise in frustration is the name of the game in challenge mode.

derFeef said:
They are getting more aggressive towards the end of the match.
But "starting out as newbies" and getting better each game really sounds like a bad idea allround, I felt like he was talking about something else just then, but I was focusing on other things.

derFeef

Danne-Danger said:
But "starting out as newbies" and getting better each game really sounds like a bad idea allround, I felt like he was talking about something else just then, but I was focusing on other things.
Yeah I agree, the whole AI and Campaign thing feels kind of tacked on. I am happy I only care fore the online. Hopefully there is a fairly large anda ctive community until BF3.

Taborcarn

Danne-Danger said:

Yes he said they realize now that the bots aren't being perceived as evolving and they just look dumb to people, but it's something they can change via updates.

jtrov

I'm also confused by what the creative director said about Warm-ups. I was fooling around with the Freeplay option, but I don't see how "I" join games, or however he explained it. Basically you can create an open match for anyone to join, or private, where only friends or invitees can join. However, how does one find an open match without them being on your friends list and seeing, "Join Session". I'm still completely confused about the who Free Play option.

This is in regards to the Xbox 360 version.

XeroSauce

Bunch of guys last night on PC gaf server had sound problems in one map all together. Bunch of us had to reconnect to try and fix it.

I love the synergy of this game though, playing with teammates who acknowledge you and buff you is really fun.

Darkshier said:
I am having the same issues with the challenges. You have to complete everything on your own against a team full of fast respawning bots. The bots on your team barely do anything to assist you either. I want the weapons and attachments that come from the challenges, but I should be able to earn those in a regular match like everything else in the game. Really lame that I am forced to play with the terrible bots to unlock anything.

You can play with up to three other people but after spending minutes staring at the matchmaking system spinning its wheels I gave up and went back to trying the challenge on my own.

The downside is it's kind of frustrating being bogged down with such useless bot teammates that do fuck all, I've had medics run by me when I'm about to die and they don't heal me or I'm so close to completing an objective and get shot because my teammates are not covering me. The upside is I'm getting a lot better at knocking down groups of enemies with the soldiers molotov and I've leveled up my engineer skills so I can throw down turrets faster and repair stuff quicker.

I think I'll try all of the One Stars for now and move on to the Two Stars Once I've completed the Security campaign and have unlocked a few more skills.

FeD.nL

The more streams i'm watching the more excited i'm getting to play the game. This really is a game that looks like great fun.

When looking at the footage I think by myself, technical issues aside, I would probably make a game like this if I could.

Now hopefully hopefully psn will be back when I get the game..

O D I N

Just picked up my copy of Brink.

Anyone have a Walmart code for trade/giveaway? I have a Gamestop code up for trade (or giveaway if there's a nice soul out there passin' out the Walmart codes)?

Send a PM if interested.

desu

Got 110fps without Ambient Occlusion, 40 with :D.

Other than, wtf the bots are the most horrible thing Ive seen in a long time, its not even funny...

thumbs up so far. i have had a lot of fun in my first 5 hours with the pc version. if you have played any of Splash Damage's previous works you will be right at home.

the customization is ridiculous! there are a lot of interesting choices to make when changing your look or unlocking abilities. i love how functional the different gun upgrades are (with downsides to consider on some too, like slower reload speed for the drum magazines).

performance hasn't been perfect, but Deano from SD posted in here saying that a dual core fix is coming. netcode seems solid.

soultron

Banned
Played it on 360 the past few hours and I'm really liking it.

The bots are stupid, but toying around in offline SP showcases the huge potential for absolute stalemates around objectives when playing with real people.

SMART is pretty wicked too. Enjoying the added verticality.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
Still on the fence about picking up the 360 version. I've got some used games that are still under the 7 day return warranty that would get me enough to get the game.

mkenyon

Banned
Hosting a LAN at my house with about 12 people this weekend. Only got to poke around in it a bit last night (game felt great, didn't do any MP stuff). Is there LAN support for this so I can locally host a server? I'm feeling that a lot of the netcode issues will be minimized when everyone is connected through a gigabit switch.

VASPER

Banned
Game reminds me of Shadowrun with a little bit of TF2 in it. So far only(30 mins played) i like it but the not so hot on the controls. Right bumper to run WTF is that shit.

desu

VASPER said:
Game reminds me of Shadowrun with a little bit of TF2 in it. So far only(30 mins played) i like it but the not so hot on the controls. Right bumper to run WTF is that shit.

100% customizable controls? Why dont you change it?

So the lag isn't as bad as this morning. Some jerking around and about three host migrations in one match (also slideshowing at one point for about 10 seconds), but it is definitely better. Here's hoping it gets ironed out 100% soon.

d0c_zaius

Genesis Knight said:
So the lag isn't as bad as this morning. Some jerking around and about three host migrations in one match (also slideshowing at one point for about 10 seconds), but it is definitely better. Here's hoping it gets ironed out 100% soon.

sorry but I have to confirm the exact opposite. There was zero change from playing before the patch to after the patch this morning in regards to network performance.

TheApatheticOne said:
Well, when it works..... this game is going to be top notch fun IMO. However, on 360, its probably suffering from some of the worst lag Ive seen this gen. I mean.... not even remotely playable lag.

Yea, as I mentioned earlier, its really disappointing that it's so significant for an MP focused title

Top Bottom