• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Brink |OT| _/^\_

Teknoman

DeanoCalver said:
5xx0 and 6xx0 should be fixed by AMD hotfix
4xx0 is still being investigated

Cool. Btw its not just white lines, but lines in general on all textures (black lines on certain walls).

Phatcorns

To anyone on the fence, stay on the fence or even jump off back to the no Brink side. This game is pretty bad. Besides being completely unplayable online, the AI is some of the worst I've ever seen and the gun play is completely unsatisfying.

Teknoman

Shogun PaiN said:
This game at the moment is one hell of a mess and has multiple problems.

- Some of the worst lag for years
- Truly awful online Bots
- Bad hit detection
- No pre game lobby - It's 2011 for fucks sake this shit is basic.
- No real friend party system (maybe I missed it)

Add all that to the confusing gameplay (I swear everybody runs around wondering what the fuck is going on), unless a drastic fix arrives soon this game is going to die extremely fast. I'm normally fair and open minded when playing new online games and I am willing to give this a fair chance but fuck me sideways if this isn't one of the poorest launch states in a long time.

Oh and call multiplayer what it is - multiplayer. Freeplay my arse.

How is everyone confused? Play the challenges to learn whats up, then jump into the game, and the objective wheel makes that even easier (it actually turns your view toward the objective).

Phatcorns said:
To anyone on the fence, stay on the fence or even jump off back to the no Brink side. This game is pretty bad. Besides being completely unplayable online, the AI is some of the worst I've ever seen and the gun play is completely unsatisfying.

How is it unsatisfying? Also, maybe im missing something but, isnt hit detection just whether or not a bullet hits its intended target? Aside from performance problems on the PC, im not having any issues with the gunplay. Its not dirt easy to kill a mobile enemy, but you can still hit someone on the run. The sounds are great, and the bullet impacts seem pretty evident to me.

From the looks of that pc stream the player is happily holding down the fire button for 5 seconds in a row , with results.
Sure there's some recoil it seems , but it's not doing what it's supposed to do.

'Least the graphics seem a bit better than on ps360.

Spookie

Shogun PaiN said:
Add all that to the confusing gameplay (I swear everybody runs around wondering what the fuck is going on)

How is it confusing? There is a trailer at the beginning of the game explaining how it works. Challenges which explain the objectives and huge glowing HUD icons telling you where to go. Maybe I'm use to obtuse PC games but I don't see how you can't grasp the basics from that.

D2M15

DAFFY DEUS EGGS
16-player LAN, at least, is crazy fun. Great sense of weight and barely controlled chaos, so many advantage reversals every match. It could maybe ease off on the hand-holding for those of us who knew what we were getting ourselves into from ET/QW, but that's no big whoop.

SneakyStephen said:
From the looks of that pc stream the player is happily holding down the fire button for 5 seconds in a row , with results.
Sure there's some recoil it seems , but it's not doing what it's supposed to do.

There's enough recoil that you can't hose a medium/long range target.

Well, I'm given a faulty activation key by D2D, they respond with an automated message with idiotic suggestions, I don't realize until this morning that you have to respond to that dumb email or they will believe it actually resolved the problem, I respond this morning and get an answer back from customer service thanking me for my patience and that they are looking into the situation with Bethesda, and it is now over 6 hours later and I still have yet to receive an activation code, a refund, or even another response.

In short, I am never buying anything from D2D again.

Teknoman

SneakyStephan said:

'Least the graphics seem a bit better than on ps360.

He could have some attachments helping him out, or it could just be a gun with a high accuracy rating. I know the revolver has a huge kick back, and a few of the assault rifles (dunno about smgs or light rifles yet) have decent reticule spread (you cant just shoot shoot shoot without starting to miss).

legbone

woohoo! my ps3 copy just arrived. nice to see a game with an actual manual these days. full color to boot. anyway, gonna play against some bots to unlock everything then wait for psn to return. hope to see some folks from here online but it seems to be all 360 and pc owners (which i don't blame you guys one bit). i got it for ps3 instead of 360 because a friend of mine (irl) doesn't have a 360. i'm patient though. plus i will really know the maps. oh well, gotta go. will post back later tonight with some impressions. see you around brothers!

Painraze

Unconfirmed Member
thezerofire said:
well 360 players? should I open the game or not?

I'm at this stage right now. I got Amazon.com up with the return options and the unopened game on my desk. That Giantbomb review didn't help in the game's favor.

Lum1n3s

legbone said:
woohoo! my ps3 copy just arrived. nice to see a game with an actual manual these days. full color to boot. anyway, gonna play against some bots to unlock everything then wait for psn to return. hope to see some folks from here online but it seems to be all 360 and pc owners (which i don't blame you guys one bit). i got it for ps3 instead of 360 because a friend of mine (irl) doesn't have a 360. i'm patient though. plus i will really know the maps. oh well, gotta go. will post back later tonight with some impressions. see you around brothers!
Tell me about it when I saw the game manual I was like oh snaps! An ACTUAL game manual :O.

Lum1n3s

Painraze said:
I'm at this stage right now. I got Amazon.com up with the return options and the unopened game on my desk. That Giantbomb review didn't help in the game's favor.
Reviews shouldn't personally hold you pack from opening that game up or not. I honestly bought the game before reading the reviews and I'm actually enjoying it as well as my friends.

Lum1n3s said:
Reviews shouldn't personally hold you pack from opening that game up or not. I honestly bought the game before reading the reviews and I'm actually enjoying it as well as my friends.
it's not the reviews I'm worried about, it's the lag. how has it been?

Painraze said:
You've already spent the money and got all them credits would it really hurt that much to form your own opinion?
darkressurection said:
This is the first time I have really disagreed with Jeff on a game, this review definitely reads like he wanted it to be more CoD especially the part about weapon damage.
Weapon damage is what stopped me from really loving BC2.

Klocker

oh my... sitting here hitting F5 deciding to head over to GS to pick this up...or not. (360)

sounds like a disaster but I so want a new online game

Lum1n3s

thezerofire said:
it's not the reviews I'm worried about, it's the lag. how has it been?
I really haven't encountered any problems online. Although I'm playing it on Steam so idk if there is any difference between the 360 version and PC version.

derFeef said:
Kinda sad he critisize things that could be eliminated by good teamplay (running back to the fight because no medic revived him and so on).
Yeah, I remember tearing a QW review (console) apart where someone complained about dying and having to run aaall theee waaay baaack frooom theee spaaawn, not properly utilizing medics and/or the spawn hosts of that game, where in real life it was pretty rare that you died "enough" to be sent back to the spawn if you played your cards right. A lot of reviewers just don't seem to get some of the mechanics of the game(s), but I guess you can't expect them to learn during the short time they're reviewing it.

Then again it's a game designed for a lot of depth so that players can keep coming back and find new things, playing for hours upon hours, not really reviewer friendly.

Concept17

Game seems pretty solid, but I'm getting the weird artifacting on my 4870. Game runs nice and smooth when not online... but online I get all kinds of stuttering and such.

(._.)

Banned
So I reinstalled and the game seems to have fixed itself.

Goddamn though, 30 fps is so hard on my eyes. I can't recall the last game I played on PC that was under 60. Almost makes the game unplayable for me.

Teknoman

Concept17 said:
Game seems pretty solid, but I'm getting the weird artifacting on my 4870. Game runs nice and smooth when not online... but online I get all kinds of stuttering and such.

What framerate are you getting in the offline modes?

Also large image example of the black lines as well (seems like the lines effect all textures)

inoJfW.jpg

darkressurection said:
Hey for people interested in checking out some early competitive action Brink.TV is doing a Launch Day Event.

http://thebrink.tv/launch/

They are gonna start off talking about the game, then they will be live casting a series of matches.
Oooh this is gonna be good, people up on the fence, tune in!

If they can get it up!

Teknoman

MaddenNFL64 said:
the guns sound crazy good in some older vids I saw, the grenades look weak though.

And thanks for the live stream, was good :).

Yeah not sure why there are still companies that cant get a meaty sounding grenade (not sure how they sound in real life, but in a game, you'd want it to sound pretty powerful).

EDIT: Cool that as an operative, you dont have to hang by a hackbox while it's hacking.

Riposte

Teknoman said:
I dunno what Jeff is on about weak gun sounds. The explosions really need improving, but the gun sounds are perfect.

Especially the shotgun. Badass.

Anyway, I think the three main reasons why this game is getting bad reviews: 1) multiplayer focus with bad AI, 2) bugs, and 3) high barrier to entry. The latter is most important. You can't really appreciate this kind of game without a bunch of people who understand it. That said, these are viable complaints.

What bothers me about Jeff's review is how empty it is. GiantBomb reviews blow ass because when they talk about game mechanics they become more like wikipedia pages and hardly have anything intelligent to say at all. I suppose this one might be more of an exception because how much he talks about "the shooting", but his critique reeks of bullshit and focuses more on the goddamn sound effects than anything else. With the acrobatics and team dynamics, there is clearly more to be said here, positive or negative.

Teknoman said:
Yeah not sure why there are still companies that cant get a meaty sounding grenade (not sure how they sound in real life, but in a game, you'd want it to sound pretty powerful).

EDIT: Cool that as an operative, you dont have to hang by a hackbox while it's hacking.

Black probably has the best sounding grenades I've ever heard in ANY game

mjc

This is almost like a complete retread of what happened to Shadowrun, except Shadowrun was steadier in the technological aspects than Brink is right now.

Teknoman

Chanser said:
Dude can you not post a jpeg instead of a bmp.

Fixed.

Animator said:
Can't agree more with this review. The game is utter trash, should have bought section 8 instead of this.

Why do you think it's utter trash? I know I sound like a parrot, just repeating questions like this, but people seem to not explain what they think is so bad about the game when posting stuff like this.

Top Bottom