• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Brink |OT| _/^\_

So I've been playing engi off and on, have been spending my skill points developing that class, enough so that I have most of the rank 2 skills purchased. I just completed the two star Tower Defence challenge and I'm still not sure how sentries in this game work. They don't rotate and scan for intruders, they don't really seem to track opponents all that well once they have been triggered and their range appears to be incredibly short, only I'm not certain how short.

Lol, even the devs on the Brink TV are having trouble setting up a game (and acknowledging that the servers suck).

I'm assuming they're devs...are they?

Is there a way to manually do all this smart stuff? I want to just use jump and crouch buttons but whenever I sprint to something it does all that stuff automatically

Saren is Bad said:
Lol, even the devs on the Brink TV are having trouble setting up a game (and acknowledging that the servers suck).

Is it still just sitting on the opening splash screen? I got audio but don't know if the video feed is no worky for me

Double D

Papercuts said:
The SP is basically the MP with bots. Definitely not a buy worthy game for the solo stuff, but you do gain levels and can carry it all over to the MP.
Yeah, I don't even have xbox live gold, lol. Fuck it, I'm taking the masochist route.

Sanic

Kyouji said:
Anyone else getting a "Server is not responding" from Pandoracell's US server? I tried Direct Connecting and it said it was full, so I was hoping to set it on Auto-retry through Steam, but that won't happen with the server not responding.

It was down for a few moments around 8:30, but you shouldn't have any problems connecting now. It IS full though, and half the time I try to connect to a full server, I also get the 'server not responding' message instead of being told it's full.

Kyouji

Haman Discharged... she smells nice
Pandoracell said:
It was down for a few moments around 8:30, but you shouldn't have any problems connecting now. It IS full though, and half the time I try to connect to a full server, I also get the 'server not responding' message instead of being told it's full.

Thanks Pandora, I guess that's what is going on. They need to fix that pronto!

Teknoman

jaundicejuice said:
So I've been playing engi off and on, have been spending my skill points developing that class, enough so that I have most of the rank 2 skills purchased. I just completed the two star Tower Defence challenge and I'm still not sure how sentries in this game work. They don't rotate and scan for intruders, they don't really seem to track opponents all that well once they have been triggered and their range appears to be incredibly short, only I'm not certain how short.

They basically work as another player character, not the supersentries from TF2. Of course the base sentries will eviscerate you, but the Engineer sentries, since they can be put up fairly fast, just work as suppression tools, not killbots.

Saren is Bad said:

They're not devs. Just a bunch of guys that casted ET:QW competitive games and later on Quake Live and are now attempting to cast some Brink. :p

Teknoman

Pandoracell said:

Maybe you should password it?

As for manual commands, you can climb over rails/ledges/boxes by just jumping towards it without sprinting. You can crouch manually and jump normally with the space bar, however slide is 100% SMART based. I think wall running/ wall sliding is also done manually or with SMART, but of course you need light body type.

Tokubetsu

I just want the fucking grid gone. That's seriously the only thing fucking with me. I just need this fucking grid to go away.

D2M15

DAFFY DEUS EGGS
Animator said:
Most of the levels dont utilize the smart system since its mostly corridors.

Even if the levels were mostly corridors - which they really aren't - it's the corridors where using slides and (if possible) wall-runs keeps you alive in a gunfight.

Sanic

Teknoman said:
Maybe you should password it?

That's something to consider, but it seems like a decent chunk of people playing right now are actually gaffers, even if they aren't posting or in the group. So I don't know.

Teknoman

Tokubetsu said:
I just want the fucking grid gone. That's seriously the only thing fucking with me. I just need this fucking grid to go away.

Ditto. Performance increases too, but the grid is the most glaring issue for me. That and sometimes not using your custom character model in online games.

They were so proud that it was coming out a week early. To everyone sitting on the fence about this game, stay there it's the safest there. Not only does Bethesda develop broken games but the publish them now. All the games I've been in I can't even tell you what the game play is like. I can describe to you what a FPS that was built around a game engine that mimicked a 1950's stop motion animation film would look like.

Grayman

any day 2 performance tips yet?

I tried to think of something that could remove a huge amount of brute force work to get around the why does this run so bad.

Teknoman

Grayman said:
any day 2 performance tips yet?

I tried to think of something that could remove a huge amount of brute force work to get around the why does this run so bad.

Turning off Ambient Occlusion is all I can think of.

Grayman

I always had AO off. Going from high shadows in menu to shadows off seemed to make a minimal difference. Maybe this game just really hates dual cores.

Grayman

Teknoman said:
Yeah im not sure why the FPS difference is so high in MP versus SP, when they are basically the same things.
15 bots doing stuff maybe. I think there is a variable for bot FPS but I forgot where I saw it.

Kholdstare

How exactly do you add a server to your favourites?

Just played a few rounds on Pandoracell's server and I don't want to constantly look up the ip address.

Sanic

Kholdstare said:
How exactly do you add a server to your favourites?

Just played a few rounds on Pandoracell's server and I don't want to constantly look up the ip address.

As far as I know, the only way to add favorites is through the Steam server browser. So you'll have to find my server in the list, and then add it.

I would love to be proven wrong though, because this is a somewhat inconvenient way of going about things.

The M.O.B

Not a fan of not being able to change your character size class in game.

Nothing like being pinned in your spawn the whole game >_<

Teknoman

Grayman said:
15 bots doing stuff maybe. I think there is a variable for bot FPS but I forgot where I saw it.

Heres the thing though, setting the show fps command in the console, it states im running at 60-70fps during offline gameplay, however, like Teknopathetic and another poster said earlier, it definitely doesnt look like its running at that rate.

EDIT: If add to favorite isnt in game, it REALLY needs to be added in the first patch.

Also there was said to be a dual core problem early on I think.

Teknoman

By the way, if you choose to join a game via friends list before entering and selecting your character in Brink, does it just give you a random model?

Yeah the Witcher is awesome, just use a lot of swallow during the beast fights and roll as much as possible. If you use aard to stun the dude you can kill him in like 3 hits.

lol

chixdiggit

Played an hour and a half of the single player challenges on PC. I can understand a lot of the complaints but I still really enjoy it. It reminds me a lot of Timesplitters in many ways.

So I played this at a friend’s house this morning and I’m glad I cancelled my pre-order. It's just so average.

This could have been something spectacular, the core mechanics are very solid, but it’s plagued with bugs and just stupid decisions left right and centre.

Occasionally when everything works it’s quite fun, but the lag, graphics, no lobby, boring locations and repetitiveness stop it dead in its tracks. Big meh.

So is it too early to start talking about character builds yet, or are we all still hung up on review scores?

I still really want to know impressions on the Engineer. Does it seem like the turrets could end up being a viable character strategy? Has anyone unlocked the L2 turret yet? These are vital questions that I need to know the answer to! :)

D2M15

DAFFY DEUS EGGS
Anyone pick up their PS3 pre-order anyway? Nerve handled both console ports, but I wonder if the PS3 ver has its own set of issues too. Considering double-dipping when (if, lol) PSN comes back.

Teknoman

Discotheque said:
Yeah the Witcher is awesome, just use a lot of swallow during the beast fights and roll as much as possible. If you use aard to stun the dude you can kill him in like 3 hits.

lol

Speaking of which, I still need to be the first one >_<

Top Bottom