• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Brink |OT| _/^\_

JonCha

KaYotiX said:
360 version was kinda shitty tonight......they REALLY need to get this game running good and fast. I can see the community giving up after a week of laggy crap.

Seems like if your FPS isnt called Halo or CoD, its a laggy mess for whatever reason
CoD is still a laggy mess.

Also shocked at the two-star review on GiantBomb. Waiting to see how thoughts develop this week.

JonCha said:
Also shocked at the two-star review on GiantBomb. Waiting to see how thoughts develop this week.

I'm not. Jeff doesn't like ET games, and there isn't any single-player content to speak of. If you listen to the latest bombcast, he makes it clear that the lack of content is his single biggest gripe; he simply doesn't think the game is worth $60.
I'll leave value judgements to each person, but after getting $25 of credit back from Amazon, I can't imagine not finding this to be a good value.

JonCha

divisionbyzorro said:
I'm not. Jeff doesn't like ET games, and there isn't any single-player content to speak of. If you listen to the latest bombcast, he makes it clear that the lack of content is his single biggest gripe; he simply doesn't think the game is worth $60.
I'll leave value judgements to each person, but after getting $25 of credit back from Amazon, I can't imagine not finding this to be a good value.
I'm going to listen to the Bombcast later, so it'll be interesting. I usually agree with Jeff a lot so I was worried when I saw the review.

Offerizer

Neo Member
Are the unlocks you get from the challenges worth it? I have no real interest in playing against bots but maybe I can power trough it if it's worth it. Can you coop the challenges?

If my ATI card works with the game i'm down for some EU gaf games tomorrow evening.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Offerizer said:
Are the unlocks you get from the challenges worth it? I have no real interest in playing against bots but maybe I can power trough it if it's worth it. Can you coop the challenges?

If my ATI card works with the game i'm down for some EU gaf games tomorrow evening.

Well you unlock all the weapon attachments, some perks and some guns so yea it's worth it. I mean it took me maybe 15 minutes to clear the 8 challenges necessary to unlock everything.

Offerizer

Neo Member
Sinatar said:
Well you unlock all the weapon attachments, some perks and some guns so yea it's worth it. I mean it took me maybe 15 minutes to clear the 8 challenges necessary to unlock everything.

Great! Now I just have the the ATI problems to worry about.

soultron

Banned
Raide said:
So for the 360 version, install to HDD straight away?
I always do this with 360 games.

I've played for maybe 4 hours in total now, and maybe the game just moves too fast, but the pop-in seems less drastic than some people made it out to be.

Install it for good measure.

Dina said:
Still no news on D2D.co.uk. Getting anxious here.

edit: not anxious, fearful. mad even.

Yeap, i noticed their support site says not to worry, there is still plenty of time to get the key in time for release. I'm not sure i agree...

TimeLike

Sinatar said:

How is that even possible? I'm STILL working on those damn tower defense and be objective challenges.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Hmmm, I know I haven't fully ranked up yet (Level 9) but some guns feel a bit weak. Grenade Launchers for one don't feel that great and shotguns are a bit...odd? Not sure how to put it really.

Eh, I'll rank up some more. Campaign at my level is just stupid hard btw. The AI defends so well.

XeroSauce

derFeef said:
Good to hear, first I plan to equip. Is there an auto-fire shotgun as well?

Yes, but only available to Heavy types. It's somewhat inconsistent in it's firing rate but absolutely nothing beats it close range, not even the miniguns. Rips people apart if you can get near.

Galactic SMG is my favourite, but the Kross is beastly. For the amount of damage it does, it doesn't have nearly as much recoil or downsides as it should.

X-Frame

divisionbyzorro said:
So...am I the only Amazon customer who hasn't gotten their Psycho Pack yet? And did any other Amazon customer get a $5 refund?
Do a live chat with a rep and they'll prolly send you one immediately.

Amazon is awesome.

Is there any sort of indication that a Soldiers Kevlar Vest ability is equipped or working? I unlocked it last night, and while looking at the Engineers Kevlar Plate buff, it says that it will not work on a Soldier who already has Kevlar on, yet I kept having Engineers applying their buff on me. I don't know, something doesn't seem right...

Rahk

Disappointing that there are no shotguns for light types. I loved running around in Crysis 2, sneaking up on enemies and killing them in one hit with the single shot Jackal.

Are there any weapons that are one hit kill or close to it with a slower rate of fire for light types? Are revolvers any good? I'm guessing the long rifles aren't very good for medium-close range?

Can't wait to play my first game tomorrow!

luffeN

Can any of you PC guys give the rest of us PC players all the good config commands for Brink? Like FOV and stuff? Thanks!

harrytang

divisionbyzorro said:
So...am I the only Amazon customer who hasn't gotten their Psycho Pack yet? And did any other Amazon customer get a $5 refund?

I did get my psycho pack and I did get a 5 dollar refund. I also got another 10 dollar gift card email, but it might have a been a dup sent from amazon to remind me of the first 10 dollar gift card i received. Not sure since it wont let you look at balance until you're checking out. Hopefully I got brink for $25 off.

Still thinking of selling my psycho pack for additional savings on Brink. Feels like a 20 dollar game and not a 60 dollar one for me right now.

PoweredBySoy said:
Is there any sort of indication that a Soldiers Kevlar Vest ability is equipped or working? I unlocked it last night, and while looking at the Engineers Kevlar Plate buff, it says that it will not work on a Soldier who already has Kevlar on, yet I kept having Engineers applying their buff on me. I don't know, something doesn't seem right...

Every time I have had the Kevlar on it there is an icon on the HUD that looks like a vest. Unless that was something else.

Raide

PoweredBySoy said:
So, Operatives. Is there any way to identify a disguised Operative?

Shooting them.

Obviously, if you know what your character looks like and you see yourself running around, you know what to do.

They cannot interact with objectives, shoot or doing anything apart from spotting mines and running around. So keep an eye on players running around not engaging enemies or getting objectives...which could be most players currently. :D

Ken

PoweredBySoy said:
So, Operatives. Is there any way to identify a disguised Operative?
Aside from shooting him, I don't think there's an ability to reveal hidden operatives.

Had a funny encounter yesterday seeing a second me at the hacking objective. No one else shot him though so I guess disguised operatives either aren't as prevalent as TF2 disguised spies or people don't bother shoot-testing everyone because of friendly fire.

About the Kevlar abilities, I was under the belief that the soldier's Kevlar ability is a passive defense buff that would stack with an engineers defense buff. I could be wrong though.

I will say this, the whole class based system reminds me of TF2 a lot, especially with the engineer's turrets and the spy class. However, I feel like it does it a lot worse than TF2.

Overall, I am enjoying the game. I have a few minor gripes, but it is a lot of fun. And if it is fun, that's what matters.

One thing I don't understand is how the reviewers could review the game before launch? It is a based solely around the multiplayer, and without the game open to the public, no community exists around it. How can that be reviewed when it is built around it?

Raide said:
Shooting them.

Well, not exactly FF friendly, but does shooting them disable the disguise, or do they just take damage while disguised (as in TF2). I don't feel like dropping all my teammates just looking for Operatives, fun as that may be.

Raide said:
So keep an eye on players running around not engaging enemies or getting objectives...which could be most players currently. :D

Seriously.

f0rk

Ken said:
Aside from shooting him, I don't think there's an ability to reveal hidden operatives.

Had a funny encounter yesterday seeing a second me at the hacking objective. No one else shot him though so I guess disguised operatives either aren't as prevalent as TF2 disguised spies or people don't bother shoot-testing everyone because of friendly fire

The friendly fire must add an interesting dynamic, imagine if pyros in TF2 went around burning every teammate they saw and it actually set them alight.

derFeef

f0rk said:
The friendly fire must add an interesting dynamic, imagine if pyros in TF2 went around burning every teammate they saw and it actually set them alight.
You should have been in the TF2 Beta, it was hilarious.

Operatives can tag enemy operatives.

I've been wondering about changing my class. The operative is fun, but doesn't have much of a support role outside of comms hacks (which are hard to get). In the server yesterday I felt the sting of a lack of soldiers more than anything. I've kinda been focusing on operative skills, so I'm not sure how much soldier I'll be able to apply to my main before he reaches cap.

Raide

PoweredBySoy said:
Well, not exactly FF friendly, but does shooting them disable the disguise, or do they just take damage while disguised (as in TF2). I don't feel like dropping all my teammates just looking for Operatives, fun as that may be.

Just shooting them does not drop it but downing them drops their disguise. If they shoot back, it drops straight away. Operatives seem a little limited currently, so maybe letting them have a knife only while disguised might be a good idea. No 1-Hit kills.

Captain Fish said:
In the server yesterday I felt the sting of a lack of soldiers more than anything. I've kinda been focusing on operative skills, so I'm not sure how much soldier I'll be able to apply to my main before he reaches cap.

That's funny, while playing all last night I was seeing the opposite - plenty of Soldiers and Medics, and hardly any Operatives. So for me, that kind of made me want to switch to Operative. I suppose it just depends on server you're on at the time...

Just looking at abilities though, Operatives do seem a little lacking in regard to contributing to the team.

XeroSauce

PoweredBySoy said:
That's funny, while playing all last night I was seeing the opposite - plenty of Soldiers and Medics, and hardly any Operatives. So for me, that kind of made me want to switch to Operative. I suppose it just depends on server you're on at the time...

Just looking at abilities though, Operatives do seem a little lacking in regard to contributing to the team.

Comms Hack = so useful when you use radar.
Firewall = Great for those games where both teams are constantly fighting over the CP.
Caltrops = Destroy chokepoints (albeit Heavy guys shrug off the damage but you dont depend on caltrops alone, you shoot them too). The turret wishes he was as cool as the caltrops.

Incap an enemy, interrogate him, melee kill 'im, disguise as him. You have now gotten more out of one kill then any other class ever will through the entire round.

Operatives are niche, but it's a great niche. This only works if you know how to use the class, though.

Jinaar

Tried the 5vs5 suggestion for MP last night and the game rubberbanded on me for the next 6 minutes straight. Then it said something like "Migrating to another Host" or something and then it was somewhat playable.

Sad panda face. Playing Single Player has been tons of fun though. Unfortunately I purchased the game for the MP.

I was basically about to post the same thing.

Operative abilities are pretty decent for chokepoint holding. Caltrops are great, and sticky bombs basically work like delayed mines when they don't hit an enemy.

I don't tag enough, maybe that's a better strategy than Comms Hacking, since I'm not even sure how much people look at radars.

Honestly I love their abilities, but they're not as crucial as getting your ammo refilled or health filled up.

Ken

brettchalupa said:
Engineers buff guns though. :/

Maybe it is a medic buff?
Engineer ability
Extra Kevlar

Extra Kevlar allows you to give your teammates additional armor protection that lasts until they die. You cannot administer this buff to yourself, or to a Soldier who already has the Kevlar ability.

Hm I guess operatives can reveal disguised operatives:

Homing Beacon

Homing Beacon allows you to place a red outline on an enemy by Iron Sighting on them for several seconds. This will allow the enemy to be seen by all your teammates, even through walls. The outline only lasts for a few seconds. Homing Beacon lets you reveal enemy operatives in disguise.

brettchalupa said:
Engineers buff guns though. :/

Maybe it is a medic buff?

No no, Engineer has a (rank 3?) buff that buffs another players armor. Going off memory I'm fairly certain it's called Kevlar Plate. In the description of this buff it states that it will not work on Soldiers who already have Kevlar - yet as a Solider with Kevlar Vest ability, I was wondering why the buff was still working me. Either something is bugged, or the wording isn't correct. Or I'm just dumb.

XeroSauce

Soldiers can equip their own Kevlar, not to teammates. And Engineers can give everyone else Kevlar but themselves. It's just a bug that Engys can buff Soldiers with it, I guess. Or the Soldier skill isn't working.

XeroSauce said:
Soldiers can equip their own Kevlar

But you don't actually have to equip it, correct? Seems to me it's a completely passive ability, and with absolutely no indication it's working.

divisionbyzorro said:
Or it's taking the buff, but not having an effect.

Hopefully that is it, and not that the Soliders ability is broken.

Top Bottom