• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Brink |OT| _/^\_

Ken

Soldier kevlar is passive.

Maybe the Kevlar buff indicator is there so the engineer would get points for it even if it doesn't actually buff the soldier.

So which system uses DLC codes in the format 1234-123456-123456?

Because while the guy on the Amazon chat was trying to be helpful, he certainly didn't generate an Xbox 360 code for me and seemed genuinely confused when I pointed that out. Time to keep going down the customer service rabbit hole, and now I'm sitting here with what appears to be a Psycho Pack code I can't use. :/

Ken

Is it possible to join a friend's game in progress or do I have to be invited. Not getting much out of the Brink GAF tag since it never gives me an option to join anyone.

On PC, The server browser is broken for me right now, so what I do is Alt-Tab, open the steam server browser and join from there. When you hop back in the game, press "Launch Game on Invite" to join the server you chose. This allows you to use the friends stuff and favorite servers without worrying about the in-game browser.

Anilusion

So D2D has a bit less than 8 hours to send me a working key. I seriously hope they get their shit together, I really want to play tonight.

Proven

PoweredBySoy said:
No no, Engineer has a (rank 3?) buff that buffs another players armor. Going off memory I'm fairly certain it's called Kevlar Plate. In the description of this buff it states that it will not work on Soldiers who already have Kevlar - yet as a Solider with Kevlar Vest ability, I was wondering why the buff was still working me. Either something is bugged, or the wording isn't correct. Or I'm just dumb.

Go reread the ability description.

What it actually says is that the Engineer buff will overwrite the Soldier buff. This makes the ability useless to buy if you end up on a team with a lot of Kevlar buffing Engies.

Edit: Oh yeah, Operatives really are best at side objectives and Command Post whoring: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eaVFxmbKPNU.

My biggest annoyance is that the nature of it makes it worthless to have a Heavy Operative.

Anyone have this for the consoles? I'm thinking about picking this up for the PS3 (yes, believe it or not, I realize that the PSN is down).

But I'm hearing about some problems, namely frame rate drops and horrible AI. How bad is it, PS3 owners?

rasberryjam said:
What's the default FOV for Brink? Just curious, been messing with settings.
It states the default value if you just type in g_fov without a new value. Though maybe that changes if you autoexec... either way it's 75! I think.

Firebrand

Anilusion said:
So D2D has a bit less than 8 hours to send me a working key. I seriously hope they get their shit together, I really want to play tonight.
Yeah, same. Does the ZIP-file on the download page work for pre-loading, or do I need the key to install it?

Teknopathetic said:
"So which system uses DLC codes in the format 1234-123456-123456?"

That is a steam code.

All right. Well, when I finally resolve all of this with Amazon, I'll apparently have a Steam Psycho Pack code to giveaway (I'm gonna wait until it's done so I can tell them I didn't use what they gave me, just to be safe).

Ken said:
Is it possible to join a friend's game in progress or do I have to be invited. Not getting much out of the Brink GAF tag since it never gives me an option to join anyone.
I don't know if you can join a friends game or not. I think you have to be invited, not sure. Every time I checked the 360 Brink tag last night, some peoples matches said joinable, but I had no option to join the match. If I am online and someone needs a medic, send me an invite Serpico MTZ.

I played quite a few lagless 8 vs 8 matches on 360 last night though and they were hella fun. Just searching for a standard, objective match. That seems to always throw me into a full room. The game plays great without lag though and really shines with full human teams. One of the greatest moments was me capturing an enemy command post only to step on a mine that someone had placed there. I stood still and in about 30 seconds a friendly engineer came over and disarmed the mine I was standing on. I had to send him a message thanking him for it, it was great.

Slide tackling groups of people from behind is awesome. I am also getting my grenade cooking skills down, they are really useful when used right. Mainly sticking with a light bodied medic so far, I love the health buff I can give myself and the fast movement of the light, is a must for me. I am constantly running around reviving, sliding into cover, non-stop slide tackling fools, really fun.

One thing more people need to do, is watch your corners and use the lean function. No need to expose your full body going around/checking a corner when you can just do a quick peek around the side of it. Really like that they kept the lean feature in for consoles.

FeD.nL

So i'm playing it on the ps3 and loving it so far, can't wait to go online. I really can't see why reviewers give this game a 2.5 or 4 out of 10. Ok it's not the most polished shooter on the market but the systems that are implemented are just really good, the UI, the command posts (health and supply which buff your team) and just how the whole class system works is great.

Really enjoying smart too, it's all about thinking about the next step not 'hey here's a ramp let's jump over it' and then getting stuck but more like 'here's where I am there is where I wanna go, what is the fastest way to get there'. The customization options are great too as well as the weapons. I'm now running with light because it gives me the most mobility you just have to flank a lot, though the bots aren't the brightest they do give enough opposition to have a good time.

TheSpoiler said:
Anyone have this for the consoles? I'm thinking about picking this up for the PS3 (yes, believe it or not, I realize that the PSN is down).

But I'm hearing about some problems, namely frame rate drops and horrible AI. How bad is it, PS3 owners?
It's running smooth for me on PS3 so far, there are loading textures at the start of the match and when your looking at weapons in the menu that can be somewhat annoying.

The AI gets better as you rank up, they used to stand out in the open like morons, but now they know to hide behind cover and glass doors to avoid damage, they rush and camp objectives and can take you down pretty quick if your not careful.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
So, anyone have any tips for the second mission on the security side. The last objective is the killer. =/

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
My hype for this game is really the only thing PSN being down has affected. I was so excited, reading this thread and seeing ads for the game on the subway. Then realized I wouldn't be able to play online and didn't get the game. Now I have fallen out of love with the game - so bad.

jtrov

Darkshier said:
I don't know if you can join a friends game or not. I think you have to be invited, not sure. Every time I checked the 360 Brink tag last night, some peoples matches said joinable, but I had no option to join the match. If I am online and someone needs a medic, send me an invite Serpico MTZ.

For some reason the dashboard doesn't work correctly with Brink. After viewing a players game, it'll say, "Join Session" or whatever. Back out to Brink GAF friends, and press A on the guys gamertag again. This time it'll show a Join Session In Progress prompt. I have no idea why it runs so slow with Brink, but that's how I've been join games from the GAF Tag.

Also, my GT is jtrov. So if you see me on, shoot me an invite as well. I'm absolutely loving the team-play aspect of this game, so we should get some good matches.

54-46!

Danne-Danger said:
It states the default value if you just type in g_fov without a new value. Though maybe that changes if you autoexec... either way it's 75! I think.
Why is FOV so low on PC these days? it used to be around 90 during the Quake heydays but ever since the consoles got a grip on the FPS market it has decreased significantly, CoD4 defaults to 65 and max is 85, horrible.

I guess it has to do with performance and the viewing distance for TVs in the living room compared to a PC workstation.. but still, it seems like a simple fix.

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
divisionbyzorro said:
So which system uses DLC codes in the format 1234-123456-123456?

Because while the guy on the Amazon chat was trying to be helpful, he certainly didn't generate an Xbox 360 code for me and seemed genuinely confused when I pointed that out. Time to keep going down the customer service rabbit hole, and now I'm sitting here with what appears to be a Psycho Pack code I can't use. :/
Is it a code for outfits? Can I have it? I can give you an MS points card later.

The_Player said:
Dunno, still unavaliable for me.
Restart Steam.

Jarate

Banned
hey if anybody has a fallout dlc code, or the spec ops one, im willing to spend like 15 dollars for one of those codes

xbox 360 here

godhandiscen said:
Restart Steam.
An error was encountered while processing your request:
This item is currently unavailable in your region.

From what I've heard, it's gonna be online at midnight, GMT +3. For my region at least.

Spookie

I NEED SCISSORS said:
Just got the steelbook in the post. Anyone know exactly how much the GameGears discount is worth (I am not using it now)?

Something like £1.40. Not exactly massive but still makes Elder Scrolls almost £10 cheaper than game.

Proven said:
Go reread the ability description.

What it actually says is that the Engineer buff will overwrite the Soldier buff. This makes the ability useless to buy if you end up on a team with a lot of Kevlar buffing Engies.

I can read the description posted above, and that's not what it says at all. Unless you have another description somewhere.

godhandiscen said:
Is it a code for outfits? Can I have it? I can give you an MS points card later.

Sure; if it's still active after I'm done with the Amazon resolution process, you can have it. Just shoot me a PM to remind me.

XeroSauce

PoweredBySoy said:
I can read the description posted above, and that's not what it says at all. Unless you have another description somewhere.

"Kevlar Vest (R3)
Increases damage resistance. Mitigates damage by 10%, and Armor Piercing rounds will negate this. The Extra Kevlar buff will overwrite this, not stack with it."

From the game.

XeroSauce

PoweredBySoy said:
That's the Soldier ability, correct? What does the Engineer description say?

Sorry, at wurk.

Extra Kevlar allows you to give your teammates additional armor protection that lasts until they die. You cannot administer this buff to yourself, or to a Soldier who already has the Kevlar ability.

So ye, the Engi one is worded wrong.

XeroSauce

PoweredBySoy said:
Okay, so it just overrides then. Thanks, boys.

Also, 10% seems kinda weak. Pffft.

10% is actually not that much at all. Consider the average medium, 140 HP, with 2 Pips, boosting him to 200 HP. 10% is 20 damage. That's one more bullet.

Had to give up on a play session today because of lag :( on the 360. Sucks when you have to turn a game off because of reasons like that. Hopefully they are working on a fix.

Edit: They stated on their official forums that "they are receiving reports of extreme lag and are investigating the issue."

When should we expect a fix if they are investigating the issue?

XeroSauce said:
10% is actually not that much at all. Consider the average medium, 140 HP, with 2 Pips, boosting him to 200 HP. 10% is 20 damage. That's one more bullet.

I'm just trying to convince myself of reasons to choose Soldier over Medic, and it's not easy. Perhaps the rank 4 nade abilities are pretty epic, but I haven't gotten those yet.

XeroSauce

PoweredBySoy said:
I'm just trying to convince myself of reasons to choose Soldier over Medic, and it's not easy. Perhaps the rank 4 nade abilities are pretty epic, but I haven't gotten those yet.

Want a reason? Shitty extra ammunition for every other class.

The two classes I've looked for on the scoreboard are Soldiers and Medics. And most often, I'm searching for Soldiers. The guns in this game have a very high ROF, and even the ones that don't have a very small reserve pool for ammo. Solly's ammo giving ability is like a godsend when you're running around with no ammo and 0 pips. I like then for that reason.

They also make good AOE/room clearing classes with mollys/grenades and flashes (I once missed a jump because I got flashed. Haven't tried Sachel Charges yet.

The reason grenades somewhat blow for other classes is because Soldier wants to be the "Grenadier" class. If you like that, go for it (and you can always dual-spec into an Engineer or something if you get bored).

TimeLike said:
How is that even possible? I'm STILL working on those damn tower defense and be objective challenges.
Did you do them right away? I did all the challenges before anything else and I had no problem with it.

pro tip on the objective one: you can hack the terminal from the other side of that box

I would suggest everybody build a Soldier if possible depending on your friends. They are very rare and people (like me) often have to run back to a CP to change class to Soldier to blow a door.

I actually had a Medic/Engineer character and took the demotion to respec to Medic/Soldier on my save file

Anerythristic said:
I would suggest everybody build a Soldier if possible depending on your friends. They are very rare and people (like me) often have to run back to a CP to change class to Soldier to blow a door.

I actually had a Medic/Engineer character and took the demotion to respec to Medic/Soldier on my save file

So my initial proposed build is Soldier/Engie, with a couple of Medic skills tossed in there too, but from what I'm reading, I'm really tempted to skip the Medic skills and just build a dedicated Soldier/Engie combo.

Every time a soldier gives me ammo it's a time to rejoice. Especially when you're doing objectives that move far away from spawn, when you're winning, you're out of ammo. Having a soldier there is literally the only way to keep up a push.

I just tried out the semi-automatic sniper rifle and it is amazing. If you give it the rapid fire mod it'll fire just as fast as you can click, which means you can shoot whenever the recoil stops. It blows away the bolt action sniper, even though that one has better damage. I'm starting to believe that I can't really trust the stats on things and might just cycle through each gun.

In case anyone wants to try it, my current loadout on it is Muzzle Break, Snoop-R Scope and Rapid Fire. The silencer might be cool as well, since it would help me be sneaky.

outsida

Anerythristic said:
I did the same exact thing.... Not only because of the objectives but also due to the fact that I was always running out of ammo.

XeroSauce

divisionbyzorro said:
So my initial proposed build is Soldier/Engie, with a couple of Medic skills tossed in there too, but from what I'm reading, I'm really tempted to skip the Medic skills and just build a dedicated Soldier/Engie combo.

Do it. Dual-specing is better then missing critical Solly/Engi skills because you have one or two Medic skills. Dedicated Medics can do your job faster and better. Be the other side of the spectrum.

I've also found Engi/Operative to be fun, sneaking landmines in doors and putting down random turrets.

Top Bottom