• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Brink |OT| _/^\_

Captain Fish said:
I definitely switched c to ctrl for crouch. I am very disappointed in this "c to crouch" trend, tsk, tsk.
I wouldn't call it a trend, I've been switching C to ctrl for as long as I can remember, it must be an in-joke at this point.

DEO3

Patch owns.

Game is running at 70+ fps now and no longer crashing to desktop. Got on a bad ass security team for most of the night and we just rolled resistance map after map, everyone sticking together, really great team work, was beautiful. Jumping over railings and shooting people in the face, sliding around corners to safety, fucking love this game. So glad I decided to ignore all the nay sayers and picked this up.

Blackface

Banned
SneakyStephan said:
This.
It's not rocket science my friend:p Most of us grew up holding shift all day long to walk in cs.

Pc gaming may have a few quirks to it, but a lack of buttons is definitely not one of them.

Anyways: pinky for modifier/sprint/walk depending on game type, thumb for jumping, the other 3 for movement.
Bind each to whatever is most comfortable.

If you are having difficulty with keybinds in shooters then you are doing it wrong, in rts games, rpgs and mmos you usually have 30-50 keybinds (using ctrl alt and shift as modifiers obviously) and having that many still allows for 100+actions per minute.

I don't get how people complain about buttons on PC gaming. For example, In World of Warcraft I have the following keys bound to abilities.

q,e,r,t,f,c,v,x,z, three mouse buttons. Then, I have them all bound again using shift as a modifier.

Teknoman

zlatko said:
I've gotten used to constantly sliding around on the 360 version. It just feels uncomfortable to be jamming pinky into shift, pointer onto C, and and trying to use middle on W. Same with chucking grenades on the fly when I'm running and hopping.

I can play Bad Company 2 fine on my PC without any issues, but I'm struggling here on Brink PC to keep moving around and shooting like I do on 360.

Its a toggle, you dont have to hold shift.

Blizzard

Banned
Teknoman said:
Its a toggle, you dont have to hold shift.
I tried that, but I'm CONVINCED that it tends to cut off after you run 10-20 feet. I assume it's because I slightly brushed a wall or something, but it seems too unreliable for me to not hold it in. Also, I think you don't jump over walls if you are doing the toggled sprint, unlike holding the key.

I feel like part of some of the times I lost challenges were due to SMART pushing me over walls I didn't want to go over when I was trying to sprint, so I dunno. I'm also still really bad at trying to figure out the wall slide timing/aiming (especially at the 20-40 fps you may get in game).

"I don't get how people complain about buttons on PC gaming. For example, In World of Warcraft I have the following keys bound to abilities.

q,e,r,t,f,c,v,x,z, three mouse buttons. Then, I have them all bound again using shift as a modifier."

In MMOs my binds are using 1-5, q,e,r,t,f,z,x,c,v and shift, alt, and ctrl (and combinations of shift, alt, and ctrl) for a gajillion binds. You couldn't pay me to change from it.

I haven't had lag on the 360 version in like 24 hours. I don't know why. I have only been playing 5 v 5 because I like it better.

Oh and when the game is running properly its amazing. Console people were starting to open up today and shouting for a rez or ammo or whatever so you can work better as a team. It was a good day with this game.

Bromeliad

Neo Member
Just had a match on the GAF server where the only GAFfers were me and EasyTGT. Not much pretty.
The pubbies just kept racing over to the objective and being killed instantly, and I was the only medic in the damn game. It was good for getting a buttload of XP as a medic but not for getting anything done. Plus no one was building turrets and so we were constantly surrounded by snipers playing Call of Brink: Modern Frustratingfare up on the second floors. Half our own guys were following suit, and the whole thing devolved fairly quickly. If we had only had a second medic I think we could have done something but we were up to like 5 operatives, so all anyone did was spawn, make a beeline to go hack a thingy, and die. No real side routes, no defenses, not a whole lot of teamwork.

I do give the game credit for this, though: Even when we were getting fairly handily roflstomped, I was still having a ball sliding around rezzing people and blooping grenades up to the MG guys and snipers up above. This has the TF2 element of being good fun even if your team's face is repeatedly being pounded into the ground.

Teknoman

The problem with the GAF server is there are lots of GAF who want in...but its constantly filled with randoms (it is a good lag free server so I guess thats why).

Bromeliad

Neo Member
Is there any way of giving them priority? Cuz the randoms in this game, for now at least, are kind of atrocious. I regularly get top XP on my team, and I am by no means good at shooters, I just buff people besides myself.

Lince

Banned
game is pretty fun and addictive when you start learning the maps and abilities and get in a team that doesn't suck, too bad the console versions are ruined by that terrible lag.

Teknoman said:
The problem with the GAF server is there are lots of GAF who want in...but its constantly filled with randoms (it is a good lag free server so I guess thats why).
A simple fix to that would be to put a password on the server and put the password to the server in the first post on this thread so only Gafers can access it.

Bromeliad

Neo Member
classicdms said:
Passwording is the only option, but putting the password in a place gaffers can get to but lurkers can't is the problem.

If people at least put in the effort to lurk forums about BRINK and use that to find passwords to access the server, they'll probably be ok at the game.

Proven

Blizzard said:
I tried that, but I'm CONVINCED that it tends to cut off after you run 10-20 feet. I assume it's because I slightly brushed a wall or something, but it seems too unreliable for me to not hold it in. Also, I think you don't jump over walls if you are doing the toggled sprint, unlike holding the key.

I feel like part of some of the times I lost challenges were due to SMART pushing me over walls I didn't want to go over when I was trying to sprint, so I dunno. I'm also still really bad at trying to figure out the wall slide timing/aiming (especially at the 20-40 fps you may get in game).

I'm surprised you can run 10-20 feet without knowingly bumping into anything. You won't jump over walls or slide if you're just doing regular sprint, but you can hit jump to get over them whether you're sprinting or not.

When I'm worried about timings, I tend to tap the button to start to sprint, and then when I get to the obstacle I hold down the button for a second or two to let SMART do it for me, and then go back to regular sprinting.

I hate holding SMART during combat while dealing with lots of nearby crates. Will almost always get you killed. It's actually something the Heavies have an advantage in; they can't climb over anything that they have to reach their arms up over for, so there's no chance for time consuming mistakes.
XeroSauce said:
Does lean not work for anyone else?
You're on 360, right? You lean by holding down the Iron Sights button and then hitting left and right on the Dpad. It's something you really have to think to do as the slightest mistake will cause you to waste a pip.

XeroSauce

Proven said:
I'm surprised you can run 10-20 feet without knowingly bumping into anything. You won't jump over walls or slide if you're just doing regular sprint, but you can hit jump to get over them whether you're sprinting or not.

When I'm worried about timings, I tend to tap the button to start to sprint, and then when I get to the obstacle I hold down the button for a second or two to let SMART do it for me, and then go back to regular sprinting.

I hate holding SMART during combat while dealing with lots of nearby crates. Will almost always get you killed. It's actually something the Heavies have an advantage in; they can't climb over anything that they have to reach their arms up over for, so there's no chance for time consuming mistakes.

You're on 360, right? You lean by holding down the Iron Sights button and then hitting left and right on the Dpad. It's something you really have to think to do as the slightest mistake will cause you to waste a pip.

Nah, PC. Just the buttons don't work. I've tried different binds but nothing happens. I have no idea why, everything else is fine.

Blackface

Banned
You could put a password on the site and PM it to people upon request.

Or you could have a whitelist. Have people PM you their name (making them put it in the message title so you don't have to click a million times).

syoaran

Blackface said:
You could put a password on the site and PM it to people upon request.

Or you could have a whitelist. Have people PM you their name (making them put it in the message title so you don't have to click a million times).

Not such a bad idea at all. I'd be up for this.

Brink is still gone from the UK Steam store. Sad times indeed.

The M.O.B

Isn't there a way where you can post the password on GAF, but only people who have the ability to quote (Registered members, instead of lurkers) can view it. I have seen another thread use this technique, not sure how to do it though.

But we could put the server password like that if somebody knows how.

Kyouji

Haman Discharged... she smells nice
The M.O.B said:
Isn't there a way where you can post the password on GAF, but only people who have the ability to quote (Registered members, instead of lurkers) can view it. I have seen another thread use this technique, not sure how to do it though.

I think it has to do with quoting a post to reveal text? Not sure about the specifics.

The M.O.B said:

Yeah, you hide it under the email tag:

---------

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
90% of the time I try to join a server it just drops to desktop as if I'd alt+f4'd or something. No errors, no program has stopped responding just "Joining Server... desktop".

This game is literally doing everything in it's power to make me hate it.

Rahk

Hopefully people realise there are objectives in the game soon.

Team mates typically just stand around in one part of the map shooting a few enemies, while the other half of the enemy team is completing the main objective and I'm the only one trying to stop them.

Also, very often no one is the class needed to complete the main objective so I find myself switching classes all the time even though I have no skills for them.

I just got to try it for a couple of challenges. It looks and plays pretty average. My cousin has told me that the lag is pretty horrible and the story is just one objective after another.

I also noticed the texture pop in pretty quickly. It's a shame that this game turned out the way it did. It seemed very promising when I first saw the pics on gaf a while back. I'm sure I'll pick it up for myself down the road, but the initial experience may put a lot of people off...

:(

Klorox33

Neo Member
Rahk said:
Hopefully people realise there are objectives in the game soon.

Team mates typically just stand around in one part of the map shooting a few enemies, while the other half of the enemy team is completing the main objective and I'm the only one trying to stop them.

Also, very often no one is the class needed to complete the main objective so I find myself switching classes all the time even though I have no skills for them.

I figured the OBJ thing out tonight an it defiantly changed the whole flow of the game for me ./agreed

Dead

well not really...yet
Hearing that the first DLC batch of new maps will be free might have just convinced me to buy the game.

Bromeliad

Neo Member
It's a shame that this game turned out the way it did. It seemed very promising when I first saw the pics on gaf a while back. I'm sure I'll pick it up for myself down the road, but the initial experience may put a lot of people off...

I'm sort of okay with that. I mean it totally sucks that it's not receptive to newcomers (which I don't fully buy, since beyond a few hours of ET:QW this is my first Enemy Territory-esque game), but I have a feeling the best players for the game, as far as playing alongside them, anyway, are those who already know what Brink is coming in.

Not to sound elitist or anything. It's just that Brink bills itself as an accessible shooter and a lot of people could, on first glance, see it as a deathmatch-y game what with the CoD like weapons and the customization and such. But the reality is it requires a very specific, complex approach that is a bit ruined by people playing it like UT or Quake or something. If people go in expecting that, I'd rather they be turned off and go back to playing the games they want to play, since if they try to play brink like a deathmatch everyone has less of a fun time.

legbone

Dead said:
Hearing that the first DLC batch of new maps will be free might have just convinced me to buy the game.

cool. great fucking news. hopefully psn is up by then so i can download them (only half kidding).

Shoogoo

Free DLC is good news, and I hope by june the lag is sorted out. Else we won't be able to play said DLC lol

NIN90 said:
Give me fucking Goldrush for this game and my firstborn will be yours, SD.

Hey mate, you got the game on 360? We could do with more EU Brink fellas (myself included :D)

Kyouji

Haman Discharged... she smells nice
I don't know what is up with the GAF server, but at 14/16 players, when I try to join, it keeps telling me the server is full. Anyone else run into this problem?

Twig

Banned
derFeef said:
Well, that's good news. Means I can play longer! First time I have to pay for maps in Brink is also the time I quit playing Brink.

Too bad they couldn't make it an actual PC game and allow user-created maps as well as official maps, but I guess they need to exploit the fools somehow.

Kyouji said:
I don't know what is up with the GAF server, but at 14/16 players, when I try to join, it keeps telling me the server is full. Anyone else run into this problem?
Yep. Was happening to me last night. And, later, when I finally got in, one team had 8 people, and the other had 5? And no one could switch because the server wouldn't let them.

Teknopathetic said:
"I don't get how people complain about buttons on PC gaming. For example, In World of Warcraft I have the following keys bound to abilities.

q,e,r,t,f,c,v,x,z, three mouse buttons. Then, I have them all bound again using shift as a modifier."

In MMOs my binds are using 1-5, q,e,r,t,f,z,x,c,v and shift, alt, and ctrl (and combinations of shift, alt, and ctrl) for a gajillion binds. You couldn't pay me to change from it.

In mmo's my binds are µ del num 0 1 2 3 4 5 7 and five extra buttons on my mouse including scrollwheel tilt left and right as buttons (a must have with this set up)
All with control and shift modifiers obviously.

I play wasd in all other genres, but I just can't comfortably use enough surrounding keys with wasd for mmos.

This set up has prevented me from getting carpal tunnel.
If I play with wasd and 1-5 + surrounding keys I always get wrist cramp in mmos because of the heavy key spamming. (especially wow arena back in the day)
No such problem with my weird set up, it's comfortable.

I actually had to buy a mouse with the wheel tilt option to have enough keysbinds for wotlk...

Seriously though, no amount of advantage is worth carpal tunnel, let alone just having 2-3 more keys at my disposal with wasd.

Blizzard

Banned
Good games tonight. We played with someone hosting locally (I think?), and it was janky, maybe 20-40 fps depending on the map, but the neogaf server seemed to be hitting 30-50 fps or higher. I think I'm running high textures, everything else low.

We joined when just two people were on the server (or 1 and 1 afk), but it went up to 14 pretty quickly. We even had a fireteam working at one point. Unfortunately the voting/fireteam controls (press F1, hit up, hit enter, or something) are confusing, and sometimes they don't seem to work at all.

Sliding light medics 4 life.

Bromeliad

Neo Member
Blizzard you scrub real sliding medics need no anorexia to slide
Real sliding medics go medium so they can use the lobster <3

EDIT:
Seriously though fun times tonight. The missile defense bit was especially neat.

Twig

Banned
Bromeliad said:
Blizzard you scrub real sliding medics need no anorexia to slide
Real sliding medics go medium so they can use the lobster <3

EDIT:
Seriously though fun times tonight. The missile defense bit was especially neat.
Oh, were you Brom? I thought you were just some random dude who happened to not be a moron. THANKS FOR RUINING THAT THEORY.

Genesis Knight said:
So master race, got to ask, does your game look like this (disregarding beta UI and such):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1UWtGCsd_SI
Huh. I almost feel like that UI would be better than what we have. And it looks like they had body type changing mid-game at one point? Why would they take that out? Awful.

Anyway, hard to tell, since that demo has the level all dark and shit. My game certainly doesn't look that good, but I have a shitty card. U:

"So master race, got to ask, does your game look like this (disregarding beta UI and such):"

Hard to make a direct comparison, that version of container city looks way different, big difference in time of day for one. Being at night the lighting from stuff like street lamps and porch lights looks way more pronounced and impressive.

Top Bottom