• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Brink |OT| _/^\_

zlatko

Banned
I forgot the old builds had that awesome + exp showing up on screen in a more pronounced way, and the gadget used to arm the bomb was cooler.

Overall it's about the same to what I'm playing on PC for details in the environment and the weapons.

<3 Container City if it plays out past the starting dock spawn. I like Container City and Shipyard the most for maps. ;D

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
zlatko said:
I forgot the old builds had that awesome + exp showing up on screen in a more pronounced way, and the gadget used to arm the bomb was cooler.

Overall it's about the same to what I'm playing on PC for details in the environment and the weapons.

<3 Container City if it plays out past the starting dock spawn. I like Container City and Shipyard the most for maps. ;D
Aquarium or bust

Teknoman

Blizzard said:
Good games tonight. We played with someone hosting locally (I think?), and it was janky, maybe 20-40 fps depending on the map, but the neogaf server seemed to be hitting 30-50 fps or higher. I think I'm running high textures, everything else low.

We joined when just two people were on the server (or 1 and 1 afk), but it went up to 14 pretty quickly. We even had a fireteam working at one point. Unfortunately the voting/fireteam controls (press F1, hit up, hit enter, or something) are confusing, and sometimes they don't seem to work at all.

Sliding light medics 4 life.

Yeah I tried to join and then it said vote canceled or something. I think I chased you around the Aquarium at one point? Either way, I think im gonna switch from the revolver to a machine pistol...too much kickback...thought it would be better with rapid fire + muzzle break as a stabilizer.

One thing I dont like is when people seem to flood one class and ignore all other objectives. Not for the usual reasons though, since in Brink that really doesnt help the team at all...quick way to lose.

Also dunno if that guy was someone on GAF, but whoever was complaining about ammo, if soldiers arent near you, they cant give you ammo. Also they may have supplied other team members with ammo and are waiting a recharge.

Oh and in Container City, as a light, you can jump up to a suspended tunnel container with a hole in the top. Perfect for popping up and keeping enemies from pushing forward.

zlatko

Banned
Teknoman said:
Yeah I tried to join and then it said vote canceled or something. I think I chased you around the Aquarium at one point? Either way, I think im gonna switch from the revolver to a machine pistol...too much kickback...thought it would be better with rapid fire + muzzle break as a stabilizer.

One thing I dont like is when people seem to flood one class and ignore all other objectives. Not for the usual reasons though, since in Brink that really doesnt help the team at all...quick way to lose.

Also dunno if that guy was someone on GAF, but whoever was complaining about ammo, if soldiers arent near you, they cant give you ammo. Also they may have supplied other team members with ammo and are waiting a recharge.

Oh and in Container City, as a light, you can jump up to a suspended tunnel container with a hole in the top. Perfect for popping up and keeping enemies from pushing forward.

Do you play light body type as well? I took into consideration what someone in here said about equipping a revolver to finished off downed enemies. It dawned on me I could just strap on an Acog scope and a silencer to my revolver to let me finish off enemies from far off with 2 shots.

I forget the name of the SMG I use, but it's the one with a blue iron sight and I think its name starts with a B? That SMG usually has enough ammo and damage that I can make it to a soldier to get ammo back or run to a command post quick.

Teknoman

zlatko said:
Do you play light body type as well? I took into consideration what someone in here said about equipping a revolver to finished off downed enemies. It dawned on me I could just strap on an Acog scope and a silencer to my revolver to let me finish off enemies from far off with 2 shots.

I forget the name of the SMG I use, but it's the one with a blue iron sight and I think its name starts with a B? That SMG usually has enough ammo and damage that I can make it to a soldier to get ammo back or run to a command post quick.

Yeah light body type.

zlatko said:

So it could basically work like a mini-sniper? I think im gonna try that.

zlatko

Banned
Teknoman said:
Yeah light body type.

So it could basically work like a mini-sniper? I think im gonna try that.

Keep in mind this does not make it a viable option against a living target. The reason being is the kick back will make you dead by the time you line up that second shot from far off. It works fine in close positions hip fired sometimes, but the real use I have for it is just to take care of people I down. Too often you'll down 2-3 people, and a medic will just roll in and pop them all back up. I don't feel safe running up to people now since they can just be in last stand or have a cortex bomb, so I have to finish them off from far away, but ammo is a precious supply and I don't feel like wasting full clips of SMG to do it. Thankfully the Revolver is the answer to just this predicament. :)

Teknoman

zlatko said:
Keep in mind this does not make it a viable option against a living target. The reason being is the kick back will make you dead by the time you line up that second shot from far off. It works fine in close positions hip fired sometimes, but the real use I have for it is just to take care of people I down. Too often you'll down 2-3 people, and a medic will just roll in and pop them all back up. I don't feel safe running up to people now since they can just be in last stand or have a cortex bomb, so I have to finish them off from far away, but ammo is a precious supply and I don't feel like wasting full clips of SMG to do it. Thankfully the Revolver is the answer to just this predicament. :)

Got it. Oh and about SMGs, is it usually best to burst fire or just hold the trigger? They dont seem to have too much spread...at least not online.

Bromeliad said:
If you double tap them how can I revive them and get points and make people like me?

Fastest syringe in the west.

Raide

Anyone else wish you could push the HUD elements a little more to the edges? Also, how about putting the XP on the middle bottom or middle top? The Right side seems a little cluttered. :D

Ramirez

Well, I tried playing tonight on the 360 and couldn't get a match that had more than 2-3 real people, and when it did get more it became a slide show, so disappointing. :(

Game is so good when everything works right, but it's looking like that is going to be less and less on the consoles at least.

zlatko

Banned
Teknoman said:
Got it. Oh and about SMGs, is it usually best to burst fire or just hold the trigger? They dont seem to have too much spread...at least not online.

I've messed around with them all and I generally just hold the trigger down with the ones I use. I use the one I mentioned and the Carb. Both have Coga scopes, silencers, front grips, and duct tape magazines I believe.

Trying to constantly aim/tap at the head doesn't get people to drop as fast as letting a clip fly at the chest. I'd also recommend messing around with the Vector SMG. Those 3 are the best and each seems suited to different players. More bullets a clip, more damage, less recoil, etc differentiate them so you can see which fits you best with the trigger held down.

Bromeliad

Neo Member
Teknoman said:

Let me tell you about fast syringes: There are those who will tell you that the slide actually slows you down, to compensate for the fact that it is an evasive maneuver. They will try to keep you from sliding when you are running up to revive someone. Don't you believe their lies.

Teknoman

zlatko said:
I've messed around with them all and I generally just hold the trigger down with the ones I use. I use the one I mentioned and the Carb. Both have Coga scopes, silencers, front grips, and duct tape magazines I believe.

Trying to constantly aim/tap at the head doesn't get people to drop as fast as letting a clip fly at the chest. I'd also recommend messing around with the Vector SMG. Those 3 are the best and each seems suited to different players. More bullets a clip, more damage, less recoil, etc differentiate them so you can see which fits you best with the trigger held down.

Yeah right now i'm using the Carb 9 and the Caesar revolver (reskin of the Ritchie). Put a red dot on the Carb...but maybe I should put an actual scope...but they seem better for medium-close/close range.

Bromeliad

Neo Member
the CARB is the SMG I use most of the time. It might have been the Buld but I can't slap a drum on there and go all John Dillinger on people's asses with it, so oh well. It's a shame because I'm a big fan of how the gun looks, and having no recoil at all is pretty darn nice too.

Can anyone tell me the good side of using a Kross?

There's no real reason to use any SMG besides the Carb. Hell, there's almost no reason to use any gun besides the Carb. Its only real down fall is its damage fall off at range, but there's not terribly many areas that are big enough that it's all that noticeable.

Bromeliad

Neo Member
That's what I thought. I love how all-purpose the CARB is. lets you put something fun in the primary slot, like a LOBSTER or a MOSSINGTON.

But really you want a LOBSTER.

Really, the assault rifles would be way more useful if they had about twice the ammo capacity that they currently have. As it is now, they have wayyyy too little ammo to bother using, especially when the ammo for SMGs is so much more plentiful and it doesn't really take that many more bullets to kill someone with the carb than any of the assault rifles.

Ramirez

Am I the only one that uses the rifles? I was absolutely destroying kids with the sniper the other day, just slap a red dot on it and go to town.

zlatko

Banned
Teknopathetic said:
Really, the assault rifles would be way more useful if they had about twice the ammo capacity that they currently have. As it is now, they have wayyyy too little ammo to bother using, especially when the ammo for SMGs is so much more plentiful and it doesn't really take that many more bullets to kill someone with the carb than any of the assault rifles.

I agree with this statement. The only Assault Rifle I found to be worth it was the first one, Geround or whatever? It does a ton of damage, but each clip is tiny and the total ammo is pitiful. The rest of the assault rifles just seem to be a notch under what the SMGs can do.

Hopefully some of the DLC weapons spruce it up more towards assault rifles being used on medium build characters.

I don't play heavy, but how do Gatling guns fair?

I have found that the shotgun and snipers do have a place within this game for sure. The grenade launchers of course do as well, but it's odd seeing the most numerous type of gun within the game being the least powerful type.

Speaking of shotguns is there only one? Wtf? :(

zlatko said:
I agree with this statement. The only Assault Rifle I found to be worth it was the first one, Geround or whatever? It does a ton of damage, but each clip is tiny and the total ammo is pitiful. The rest of the assault rifles just seem to be a notch under what the SMGs can do.

Hopefully some of the DLC weapons spruce it up more towards assault rifles being used on medium build characters.

I don't play heavy, but how do Gatling guns fair?

I have found that the shotgun and snipers do have a place within this game for sure. The grenade launchers of course do as well, but it's odd seeing the most numerous type of gun within the game being the least powerful type.

Speaking of shotguns is there only one? Wtf? :(

I switched my character over to a Heavy last night. You can massacre the other team with the Gatling gun. Its awesome.

zlatko

Banned
samus4ever said:
I switched my character over to a Heavy last night. You can massacre the other team with the Gatling gun. Its awesome.

I figured this would be the case. Imagine if you were:

A Heavy with the big weapon buff.
The big health buff from Medic.
Extra Kevlar from soldier.
Engineer got the double health pip upgrade from a command post.
Your team has both health command posts.

You would be a walking nuclear bomb. :D

zlatko said:
I figured this would be the case. Imagine if you were:

A Heavy with the big weapon buff.
The big health buff from Medic.
Extra Kevlar from soldier.
Engineer got the double health pip upgrade from a command post.
Your team has both health command posts.

You would be a walking nuclear bomb. :D

Yeah. Only real down side is it does take a few seconds for the gun to spin up, so if you get ambushed they can take a big chunk of health out. I usually switch to my secondary if that happens.

desu

Raide said:
Anyone else wish you could push the HUD elements a little more to the edges? Also, how about putting the XP on the middle bottom or middle top? The Right side seems a little cluttered. :D

Actually I wish there was a minimal hud version, I think shrinking everything by 50% would already be enough for me.

Reikon

Teknopathetic said:
There's no real reason to use any SMG besides the Carb. Hell, there's almost no reason to use any gun besides the Carb.

Pfft, Kross all the way. With a front grip, there's basically no recoil and I can play the game like ET.

"Pfft, Kross all the way. With a front grip, there's basically no recoil and I can play the game like ET."

Until you get melted by some guy with the Carb.

soultron

Banned
samus4ever said:
How do you spot people on the 360 version?
Your character (regardless of class) will announce it automatically and the enemy will be appear on radar. As long as you maintain sight on the enemy, IIRC.

Also, I think operatives have an ability to mark players (with the red outline) if they have the correct ability.

Shoogoo

soultron said:
Your character (regardless of class) will announce it automatically and the enemy will be appear on radar. As long as you maintain sight on the enemy, IIRC.

Also, I think operatives have an ability to mark players (with the red outline) if they have the correct ability.

That's neat, can anybody confirm this?

Got the game on PC at launch, it runs smoothly and everything but I have one little big problem, EVERYTIME I set up a server (private, only myself in it), my router restarts and thus the game kicks me out of the server. Joining other servers or playing solo doesn't make my router restart...

Sanic

With regard to the server:

I'll leave it up to you guys as to what should be done, but my preference, at least initially, is to password it, but have the password publicly available in both the OP and the group. I'm just concerned that we won't have enough gaffers at any one time to get a full server, or even close to it. I don't really want to be playing 3v3 or 4v4.

As far as the technical issues like only allowing 14/16 players, i'll look into it. It actually DOES allow more than 14 on from time to time, because at one point I saw a 15th player enter, but at the moment I have no idea what's wrong or why it's doing this. As far as i'm aware, my config is ok, but i'll ask around.

Pandoracell said:
With regard to the server:

I'll leave it up to you guys as to what should be done, but my preference, at least initially, is to password it, but have the password publicly available in both the OP and the group. I'm just concerned that we won't have enough gaffers at any one time to get a full server, or even close to it. I don't really want to be playing 3v3 or 4v4.

As far as the technical issues like only allowing 14/16 players, i'll look into it. It actually DOES allow more than 14 on from time to time, because at one point I saw a 15th player enter, but at the moment I have no idea what's wrong or why it's doing this. As far as i'm aware, my config is ok, but i'll ask around.
Isn't there a way to set up something like "kick for members"?

*Hmm, looking at QW you'd probably have to do that manually... I'm for a password really.

Picked up the game yesterday and am really enjoying it. Just unlocked the light body type so cant wait to give that a tey.

BUT the game crashed to desktop every time i start/join my second game/chalange/whatever since i started the game up. no error messages, just closes down. my brink folder is filling up with crash reports :)

This is kind off killing the buzz im having and i cant find any mention of this anywere. Any ideas? Does this happen to anyone here?

NIN90 said:
There's no voice command menu like in ET? I miss V 2 1 :(
I don't think so. It's all automatic, which kinda sucks.

I wanna say "thanks" but the game won't let me! :(

Danne-Danger of the past said:
Another thing I just realized is that this game feels a lot like FEAR MP, sliding, cooking nades with grenade button, the speed of it and the fact that most firefights aren't bunny-hop fests but rather move in, duck and go for the head. They both feel very similar actually, though Brink doesn't have the same insane melee.
I also just realized that both have grenade shooting! Now I feel like taking that perk, for old times' sake.

charsace

Most of the rifles are worthless. They should have better range and accuracy than the smgs, but they don't. They are basically smgs with slower firing bullets. I play heavy and my problem with the class is that a lot of the map is cut off.

The announcer tells you when you have been spotted (highlighted in red) by an enemy operative. But anyone can spot for the radar just by iron sighting an enemy.

charsace said:
Most of the rifles are worthless. They should have better range and accuracy than the smgs, but they don't. They are basically smgs with slower firing bullets. I play heavy and my problem with the class is that a lot of the map is cut off.
The solution is of course to not play heavy, as it's pretty useless in general.

Some of the ARs are nice and can take people down quite quickly if you get the burst right, the problem is ammo and recoil (both being crappy since firefights are generally quite lengthy), and the fact that you can't play light. And they have much better range than SMGs, the game handles range with damage falloff, i.e. ARs will keep much more of their damage at long range, though you won't need that range 80% of the time.

Does anyone else get the problem where your character bugs out and wont crouch? It happens to me a lot, I have to jump and then I'm able to crouch.

desu

nismogrendel said:
Does anyone else get the problem where your character bugs out and wont crouch? It happens to me a lot, I have to jump and then I'm able to crouch.

Happened to me for the first time today.

Raide

Finished Campaign. Not too difficult but on random occasions the bots gave me a good kicking. A few spots seemed really hard to attack/defend. Despite the A.I being dumb, they know how to gang up on you. :D

Mainly as Medic but swapped to Engineer a bit for those pesky defender missions.

Top Bottom