• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BritGAF |OT3| It's good, but it's not right.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Threads have cycles yo, I'm just pointing out where on the wheel we are now

Ah, is this the part of the cycle where you're a dick then? I bought up the job thing, and Mike says that's not what it was about anyway. Don't be a prat.

See above! Really psyched to see some progress on the comic. We're having a sitdown to work on some more stuff tomorrow evening. Can't wait to get some momentum going!
Vita comic is going to own

Awesome :) I wrote a Viking comic for my mate but he's only gone and got his missus up the duff so all work has now ceased. A shame because it was looking proper neat and I was ego tripping seeing my ideas envisioned on the page like that.

Finding an artist is like finding a singer :( I wish I could draw almost as much as I wish I could sing.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Ylod broke. Thanks for the link, I'll try that tomorrow.

Well you know one singer :)

Yeah but you're miiiiiiiiiiiiles away :p really, I just want to be able to sing so I can sing about my FEELINS an shit. Which I flat out know would be retarded since I can barely play a set without wanting to die as it is, I would be on the floor if I had to sing too. We can't all be good at everything though, I just have to settle for being a world class lover and god tier halo player...

Arnie

Calling all London GAF.

Moving from the North to work in London next week. Will be living in Bethnal Green, does anyone know much about the area or places nearby? I'm working in Islington. Anywhere good to go, or do?

Mikeside

Calling all London GAF.

Moving from the North to work in London next week. Will be living in Bethnal Green, does anyone know much about the area or places nearby? I'm working in Islington. Anywhere good to go, or do?

I went to a mate's houseparty when she lived in Bethnal Green.

We got mega-stoned in Victoria Park that weekend - I recommend that.

93 Feet East is near there - I went to one of the best gigs I've ever been to there, seemed like a nice pubby gig place. Check that out.
Bedroom Bar was pretty close to there too - some good nights there, I believe.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Calling all London GAF.

You should come out with us on the 6th! You can then pick the brains on LondonGAF to your hearts content.

Arnie

I went to a mate's houseparty when she lived in Bethnal Green.

We got mega-stoned in Victoria Park that weekend - I recommend that.

93 Feet East is near there - I went to one of the best gigs I've ever been to there, seemed like a nice pubby gig place. Check that out.
Bedroom Bar was pretty close to there too - some good nights there, I believe.
Someone's recommended 93 Feet East, is that one where there's some free gigs just happen randomly?

I'll google Bedroom Bar.
You should come out with us on the 6th! You can then pick the brains on LondonGAF to your hearts content.
Friends are coming down to stay with me on that weekend, but I'll definitely be up for future London GAF meets.

daviyoung

Banned
Calling all London GAF.

Tai Buffet or Thai-Veg (can't remember what it's called now) on Islington High Street.

Befnal is a bit ruff doe innit.

Mikeside

Someone's recommended 93 Feet East, is that one where there's some free gigs just happen randomly?

I dunno about free gigs, I just know that not long after '...Is A Real Boy' came out Say Anything played there & I street teamed for them. Max, the main guy from the band saw me giving his fliers around and I got to hang out on the tour bus with him and the guys. He was my fucking idol at the time, so it was mindblowlingly amazing.

The venue was really small and intimate - as I remember it there's a bar going along the right wall, then a bit of space before the stage. Tiny. Awesome.

Fuck, I want to be 18 again.

Quidam

Mike,

As a relative newcomer, what is your job? What are the 3 biggest pros and 3 biggest cons? What's stopping you from going for a better one? [/interview]

Hystzen

For fucks sake first time interested in a relationship with a girl after 4 years of not been interested and she on holiday with boyfriend for 10 days.

ughhh

Mikeside

MEGAPOST INCOMING>>>>
Mike,

As a relative newcomer, what is your job? What are the 3 biggest pros and 3 biggest cons? What's stopping you from going for a better one? [/interview]

I'm an IT engineer and warehouse manager for my family's company who sell IT hardware and solutions (and software etc etc, we're pretty end to end).

Pros:
1 - Really varied - being such a small company, and the fact I've been there for almost 10 years and know most of what's going on all over the company means I get all sorts of stuff thrown at me. From installing PCs in small offices to building servers in the technical room and then deploying them on-site, dealing with customers trying to get their Safenet accounts up and running. There's quite a lot of different stuff to do.

2 - Training - After 7 or 8 years of being left to rot in the warehouse, I'm getting a lot of training now. I've done a Safenet cert, I've got a few Dell certs under my belt, got my basic CISCO one & I'm currently studying up for my VMWARE VCP5 and we're talking about throwing me in for all the basic Microsoft ones soon too. These are really valuable, so I can't really knock it.

3 - Customers - I guess this ties in with point #1 a lot, but we have some really great customers with interesting needs & some great contacts who I really enjoy working with. When I book in a day's work at the music publisher we work with or get to head over to Activision I'm pretty much elated because the people I work with 80% of the time are awesome and make my job a lot of fun. (until something goes wrong, of course)

Cons.
1 - Family - I have a messed up family. (Don't we all?) We don't get on. I work with them.
To clarify, I get on really well with my mum and grandparents but my uncles don't get on with any of the rest of us & they're the ones in charge. I think that's a lot of the reason I'm still on...

2 - 16.5k - I'm on less money than other people who do half of what I do. I manage our warehouse (granted there's only one guy that I have to manage, but still) AND I'm one of a team of 3 (including the apprentice) IT engineers in the company. I guess technically it's just me because the guy above me is the Technical Consultant and the guy under me is just our IT/warehouse apprentice.

3 - Customers - Don't get me wrong, we have some great customers (see above), but we also deal with some companies who absolutely take the piss & because I'm only IT, not one of the sales guys, I don't get to make the decision that enough is enough when we have a customer who berates me on the phone over something totally out of our control, or even worse, over something that's their fault. I'm a pretty tolerant, level-headed and reasonable guy (at work, shut up you lot) but I really want to drop a few of these headaches and use our time on customers we're actually making money from.

What makes you so nostalgic about being 18?

I was 18 in 1989, we all went mental and danced. It was an amazing time but being 18 wasn't so important, 1989 was.

Yeah, for me it's just 2004-2006. I had a mad-good time, went to some amazing gigs and saw all my favourite bands, met a lot of great people, had a huge friend network, I was totally in love (by 18 year old standards) with this girl Grace & hadn't realized that she was dating something like 4 guys at once, I was writing an EP that to my mind at the time was the best fucking thing in the world.

1989 as an 18yo must have been epic. I was only 2 then.

NinjaBoiX

What makes you so nostalgic about being 18?

I was 18 in 1989, we all went mental and danced. It was an amazing time but being 18 wasn't so important, 1989 was.
Poetry man, troof.

(Not about the specific time period, just the sentiment in general. 2001 was my year of 18dom.)

This was my jam in 2001 said:
gWDvcVh04mcq0qx0i3bf9ISX

The Strokes - Trying Your Luck (live)

8bit

Knows the Score
1989 as an 18yo must have been epic. I was only 2 then.

It was a great time. I was hanging out with a load of influential folk in the Glasgow music scene around the time and had access to interesting drugs and it was tremendous fun, but quite frankly I was turning into an arsehole. Two years later I moved on from all of that and picked back up on my computing skills.

In short, be thankful for what you've got right now, that's some great certification to have. It'll take you anywhere you want if you stick with it.

Hystzen

I told you to leave her be mate

I did only replied to texts she sent me and kept far way possible. But she came round to talk about everything going on stayed over then went off on holiday. 10 days is long time for everything settle back to normal, still irritating first time in years interested in somebody and like this

Mikeside

It was a great time. I was hanging out with a load of influential folk in the Glasgow music scene around the time and had access to interesting drugs and it was tremendous fun, but quite frankly I was turning into an arsehole. Two years later I moved on from all of that and picked back up on my computing skills.

In short, be thankful for what you've got right now, that's some great certification to have. It'll take you anywhere you want if you stick with it.

Oh I'm enjoying life now, generally. I can't really complain & when I do, I'm still aware of how lucky I am and how good my life is.

Tell me a bit about the Glasgow music scene in 89 - I bet you've got some fucking stories!

I did only replied to texts she sent me and kept far way possible. But she came round to talk about everything going on stayed over then went off on holiday. 10 days is long time for everything settle back to normal, still irritating first time in years interested in somebody and like this

10 days isn't so long.
If she's interested then 10 days won't change her feelings unless something lifechanging happens on holiday.
I'm assuming she'll get drunk, get burnt in the Sun, buy a pair of flip-flops and have an emotional argument with a close friend (or family memeber, depending who the holiday is with)

You'll be back to wherever you're at now in now time.

Hystzen

10 days isn't so long.
If she's interested then 10 days won't change her feelings unless something lifechanging happens on holiday.
I'm assuming she'll get drunk, get burnt in the Sun, buy a pair of flip-flops and have an emotional argument with a close friend (or family memeber, depending who the holiday is with)

You'll be back to wherever you're at now in now time.

Its long enough it just her with her BF they been going out for only 3 months so I expect he will drop the love word during the holiday. It over i lost but thats not really a bad thing just sucks

Mikeside

Its long enough it just her with her BF they been going out for only 3 months so I expect he will drop the love word during the holiday. It over i lost but thats not really a bad thing just sucks

Ahh, that sucks.
You kinda lost 3 months ago, though, man. Time to find greener pastures. You don't want a girl who strings you on when she's already seeing somebody else.

2 - 16.5k - I'm on less money than other people who do half of what I do. I manage our warehouse (granted there's only one guy that I have to manage, but still) AND I'm one of a team of 3 (including the apprentice) IT engineers in the company. I guess technically it's just me because the guy above me is the Technical Consultant and the guy under me is just our IT/warehouse apprentice.

Wait don't you live in London? Because isn't living in London on sub 20k pretty hard, certainly not for a comfortable lifestyle?

FINALLY watched Skyfall. Very good film, and nice to get one focused on Bond, M and with a lot of screen time set in the UK.
Though I'm going to have to rework my theory of Bond being a codename passed down now.

Mikeside

Wait don't you live in London? Because isn't living in London on sub 20k pretty hard, certainly not for a comfortable lifestyle?

FINALLY watched Skyfall. Very good film, and nice to get one focused on Bond, M and with a lot of screen time set in the UK.
Though I'm going to have to rework my theory of Bond being a codename passed down now.

No, I live in Aldershot. With my mum. It's not really comfortable.
Moving out aimed for October currently - will be getting a flat with 2 friends. I really need a raise before then - I've told my work that basically I get the raise so I can afford to live or I walk away.

No, I live in Aldershot. With my mum. It's not really comfortable.
Moving out aimed for October currently - will be getting a flat with 2 friends. I really need a raise before then - I've told my work that basically I get the raise so I can afford to live or I walk away.

Ah right, that's near Guildford isn't it? So not quite as insane as London for living costs at least.

8bit

Knows the Score
Oh I wish, things are kind of murky and half remembered now. Let's think.

Orde Miekle stole my jacket. I fell down a ladder and was caught by Bobby Gillespie (we were in Sheer Taft's flat and the toilet was only accessible by a ladder and I was off my face.) Vic Reeves signed my forehead. Alan McGee borrowed my Budweiser pen to get a signature from Trent Reznor and forgot to put the cap back on it, he gave it back to me and I didn't notice and it ruined my new jacket. We hung around Dot Allison's flat more often than was probably safe. I saw Buster Bloodvessel knock Mark E. Smith down with one punch due to a disagreement backstage. Ed Byrne was the ents manager where I worked. Ooh, spliffs with Shaun Ryder. I had no idea what he was talking about but he was funny. We booked him to play a Uni gig, but Wrote For Luck charted and we moved it to the Barras.

Being taken home by cops for dancing on a roundabout with Teenage Fanclub's drummer at 0430 after Kraftwerk at the Barras!

Flavor Flav in Top man!

Being mistaken for David Baddiel at a David Baddiel signing in HMV.

The Senseless Things sleeping on my floor because my parents were on holiday.

Leaving *that* Oasis gig because I thought they were rubbish. I was downstairs playing boardgames in King Tuts and didn't want to stay.

Bill Drummond called me out for interrupting him at the Arches.

jimbor

Banned
Calling all London GAF.

Bethnal Green is hipsterville as you've got Shoreditch at one end so there's plenty of artsy fartsy stuff to do as well as decent boozers. You'll probably be spoilt for choice for things to do. What are you interested in?

I'm off to Utrecht via Amsterdam tomorrow with work. We got a late flight home on Saturday so we can chill in Amsterdam.

Luton Airport represent.

Edit: A good time to move to Bethnal Green. It's very up and coming. 10 years ago it was an absolute dive.

Bethnal Green is hipsterville as you've got Shoreditch at one end so there's plenty of artsy fartsy stuff to do as well as decent boozers. You'll probably be spoilt for choice for things to do. What are you interested in?

I am in a sort of similar boat, (well potentially), having never had to move halfway across the country before, even if I moved to somewhere vibrant... whats the best way to take advantage of it?

Moving long distance as a worker scares the hell out of me, as a student its great because you are pretty much just moving to where a bunch of people your age who are chilled are going to be. Doing it as a professional doesnt seem like it would be fun at all. :( I wouldn't want to not know anyone, anyone been in that position before?

Im hoping I dont have to move, but since conversation is up, how are people proposing that Arnie gets to know people to take advantage of his area?

Mikeside

Oh I wish, things are kind of murky and half remembered now. Let's think.

Orde Miekle stole my jacket. I fell down a ladder and was caught by Bobby Gillespie (we were in Sheer Taft's flat and the toilet was only accessible by a ladder and I was off my face.) Vic Reeves signed my forehead. Alan McGee borrowed my Budweiser pen to get a signature from Trent Reznor and forgot to put the cap back on it, he gave it back to me and I didn't notice and it ruined my new jacket. We hung around Dot Allison's flat more often than was probably safe. I saw Buster Bloodvessel knock Mark E. Smith down with one punch due to a disagreement backstage. Ed Byrne was the ents manager where I worked. Ooh, spliffs with Shaun Ryder. I had no idea what he was talking about but he was funny. We booked him to play a Uni gig, but Wrote For Luck charted and we moved it to the Barras.

Being taken home by cops for dancing on a roundabout with Teenage Fanclub's drummer at 0430 after Kraftwerk at the Barras!

Flavor Flav in Top man!

Being mistaken for David Baddiel at a David Baddiel signing in HMV.

The Senseless Things sleeping on my floor because my parents were on holiday.

Leaving *that* Oasis gig because I thought they were rubbish. I was downstairs playing boardgames in King Tuts and didn't want to stay.

Bill Drummond called me out for interrupting him at the Arches.

Hahaha awesome - I need to see the layout of the flat that requires ladder access to the toilet.

Ah right, that's near Guildford isn't it? So not quite as insane as London for living costs at least.

Yeah, right next to Guildford, but not quite as posh. I'll probably be moving back closer to Crowthorne to be nearer my buddies so I don't have to frickin' drive everywhere.

I am in a sort of similar boat, (well potentially), having never had to move halfway across the country before, even if I moved to somewhere vibrant... whats the best way to take advantage of it?

Moving long distance as a worker scares the hell out of me, as a student its great because you are pretty much just moving to where a bunch of people your age who are chilled are going to be. Doing it as a professional doesnt seem like it would be fun at all. :(

If you don't know anyone then work or housemates are your best bet. Failing that, there are a loads of groups in London for more or less any interest you have. I made a bunch of friends last year doing NaNoWriMo in London (something I only did thanks to GAF in the first place, actually!) Most people that go to these sorts of things are in exactly the same boat and are super friendly.

Just... don't try and talk to anyone on the tube. The tube is for transport. NOTHING ELSE.

jimbor

Banned

Moving long distance as a worker scares the hell out of me, as a student its great because you are pretty much just moving to where a bunch of people your age who are chilled are going to be. Doing it as a professional doesnt seem like it would be fun at all. :( I wouldn't want to not know anyone, anyone been in that position before?

Im hoping I dont have to move, but since conversation is up, how are people proposing that Arnie gets to know people to take advantage of his area?

I find twitter/blogs/online magazines to be the best source. So much stuff to see and do for free in London (including pretty much ALL of the museums). A couple of blogs/sites of the top of my head are the Londonist and Le Cool. Loads more but drawing a blank right now.

TCRS

Banned

Isn't the countryside in Surrey very expensive because of all the rich people there? It's absolutely beautiful there, I always thought it's expensive as fuck not being that far away from london and whatnot.

If you don't know anyone then work or housemates are your best bet. Failing that, there are a loads of groups in London for more or less any interest you have. I made a bunch of friends last year doing NaNoWriMo in London (something I only did thanks to GAF in the first place, actually!) Most people that go to these sorts of things are in exactly the same boat and are super friendly.

Just... don't try and talk to anyone on the tube. The tube is for transport. NOTHING ELSE.

Oh I should have mentioned, I am already from London (sort of - I am actually working in Oxford and have been Oxford based for ages now), potentially I could be moving away from London, too make it difficult I am not sure where yet (it could be anywhere, which means it could also be London and I am fretting for nothing)

I am sure Meetup or something could work well, I think co-workers can be hit or miss, depends on the company really. I suppose I will go out of my way to look for a good set of housemates which will maybe make things easier!

Isn't the countryside in Surrey very expensive because of all the rich people there? It's absolutely beautiful there, I always thought it's expensive as fuck not being that far away from london and whatnot.

The general rule I stick to is that rent, transport, and eating/drinking out costs in the SE verge on London prices, whilst things like groceries are very similar to the rest of the country. So yeah, pretty pricey to live around those parts.

Arnie

Football, mainly.

Need a good boozer to watch some matches at weekends.

Rubbish King

The gift that keeps on giving
coursework due for tomorrow and i have a staff meeting at 9.

Gonna be up in 6 hours, then I have work till midnight...and then i have a line clean early the next day, i hate missing out on much loved sleep.

Your job sounds fairly valuable at this point in your life. Look around at other people our age and realize you are privileged in a way to be receiving so much training that will allow you to be up-to-date and desirable in the market in coming years. Lots of people just wasting away in a co-op or fast food who will have to completely restart in a few years time with little applicable skills to transfer. But as someone who has grown to despise his own job at the moment, I understand venting. Carry on.

Also MCR's The Black Parade is my recommendation for a good pissy angst fest. Love the shit out of it when I'm in a bad mood.

Fuck that (although it is good)

Killswitch engage As Daylight Dies is brilliant, especially "My Curse" That shit really brings out the emotions

Deftones is pretty much good for any mood

Rubbish King

The gift that keeps on giving
ban request for tashbrooke. it's for his own good.

Why? It's not like green scar, i didnt pay 9 grand to go to university and then not do my work, this shit is discussing H&S law and the representative body of the pub industry, tied with the career opportunities, pretty broad topic to summarise but im dealing with it, its not a major piece and the deadline is a bit relaxed i think

If you reading this GS, im not badmouthin' you, i wub u

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
You really don't know the value until you're paying it yourself. I learned that the hard way. Easier to just keep your head straight and focus. But most of us seem to have learned from fucking up anyway, so maybe it's unavoidable.

Chinner

Banned
Chinner, that post was entertaining, articulate and informative.

Fair play man.

what are you trying to say?

Great post, Chinner. Very interesting read. You're pretty interesting when you're not being a massive troll!
what are you trying to say :mad:
Wow Chinner. That pretty much summed up my (UK) high school. Especially the part about moving on to a higher class only because you're one year older. Unusually, I found it quite bizarre that Thai teachers get respect but foreigners don't over there. It was always the other way round during my primary school days (abroad) unless the local teacher used corporal punishment (The foreign teachers were seen as interesting, different and cool. This was probably because of their unorthodox teaching methods). Sure, you had the odd masochist kid who always loved to get in trouble but everyone else didn't mess around.

Well, in terms of classroom management not every class is that bad. You're right, EFL teaching is pretty unorthodox, so lessons usually have filler games than try to combine fun and learning in one! Basically summing up the lesson or testing their comprehension without making it obvious. This itself, as you said, makes us a little popular and its common for students to run up to us and shout 'teacher' whenever they see us outside of lessons or while we're eating. The problem is that sometimes the kids expect games more than they're entitled, so they misbehave, or they just want to play games that have no educational benefit.

Astute observations on the teaching, Chinner. Sounds very difficult honestly, not sure I would have the patience or stress tolerance to deal with such lax standards and loose structures. Teaching sounds hard enough without all that bs. Hopefully you find better days with the rest of your time there, however long it is.

It's not too testing once you're into it. In a sense you can auto-pilot to a degree because you're teaching the same lesson but just at different levels with added difficulty and different implementations . As the week develops I can see what works, what doesn't and what students typically struggle with. As I said, you can have good and bad days. If I come into school depressed, things can easily get to me if things are not going my way. When I'm fine, it doesn't matter! As you said, patience and stress tolerance is important and I've learned a lot about it and how handle kids since I've been here.

th_ScreenShot2013-06-25at133100_zps12bb1b89.png

EDIT: Noffles am cry so i edited the pic, but if you click on it, you get the whole shebang
heh.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom