• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BritGAF |OT3| It's good, but it's not right.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kentpaul

When keepin it real goes wrong. Very, very wrong.
I would never judge you Kent.

I jump straight to chastise.

I'm addicted to my modded new vegas right now, Its a dodgy engine but ever so awesome.

Heading to buy some BLUE CHEESE, and party with friends. By party i mean the party will go on around me but i'l be in my baked zone doing my thing.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Steam has a 75% id's classic catalogue thing running this weekend, so maybe other britgaffers reading these words can pick up the Quake and Doom packs.

I already have all the games, so hit me up when you guys are giving this a go & I'll gladly join.

I'm fucking terrible, so I'm sure you'll all appreciate the cannon fodder.

I haven't played games with a mouse for about 5 years, I'll be worse :p Will track them down this evening hopefully, and find some decent engine mods. Any recommendations Suairyu? What do you use to play them with?

NinjaBoiX

I'm addicted to my modded new vegas right now, Its a dodgy engine but ever so awesome.

Heading to buy some BLUE CHEESE, and party with friends. By party i mean the party will go on around me but i'l be in my baked zone doing my thing.
I'm going to get some for this weekend.

But I'm definitely going to have to ease up next week. I need my monies for other things mang!

AcridMeat

Banned
Geez Spec Ops: The Line made me feel like a piece of shit goddamn at that game
How much was it on sale for over the steam sale? I missed it and want to feel bad about not being able to buy it.
I take it Blue Cheese is a drug?

/old as fuck and so down with the kids
One of the all time classic drugs.

Actually if it were referring to a drug that'd be even more perfect for my boss. She used to grow pot in the 80's, was arrested for a $500,000 plantation back then.

Oh fuck I forgot it's a chain of weed, most people I knew smoked others. Well shit I actually meant blue cheese.

AcridMeat

Banned
No idea it on PS+ now for free why finally got round to playing it even though had eye on it for a while
Ohhhhh damn I need to get on that then.

edit: Ninja
emot-smuggo.gif

jimbor

Banned
Finished work at three today, which was great, came home and didn't do my weights as I was exhausted and my knee was hurting. Decided to go for a nap, get woken up by my ex coming home from work five minutes after I finally dozed off. It's been a mixed day so far.

Now all of my friends are being lame and don't want to go out for a drink. I need more friends in north London.

At least my ex has gone out, this shit is deteriorating at a rapid rate.

Finished work at three today, which was great, came home and didn't do my weights as I was exhausted and my knee was hurting. Decided to go for a nap, get woken up by my ex coming home from work five minutes after I finally dozed off. It's been a mixed day so far.

Now all of my friends are being lame and don't want to go out for a drink. I need more friends in north London.

Ah shit you should've said something earlier, I'd have totes been up for a few bevvies! Home now though and can't be bothered to go out again

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.

You're still living with an ex? Fuck sake, talk about hell on Earth.

SKINNER!

Banned

I'm in the same boat too and I can't be arsed going out solo so I've decided to watch Cowboy Bebop and play some Journey. Really want a Welsh Corgi now.

jimbor

Banned
You're still living with an ex? Fuck sake, talk about hell on Earth.

Yeah, broke up two or three weeks ago. Thank fuck we've got a spare room. We've actually been a lot nicer to each other than we normally are but yesterday had a bust up and are barely talking today. Or I should say she's barely taking to me. I just want her gone at this point but she's waiting to hear if she's been made redundant. I don't see what effect that has on things as her parents have said they'll bankroll her anyway.

Jordan

I think you're a nice guy Mike :)

And I think Tash is a nice guy. And Jordan. And even jimbor. You're all nice guys.

I'm not feeling like a nice guy today. Jokes were made at work that pissed me off, so I gave them the silent treatment and then treated myself like shit at gym - felt good. Then I just lost my rag at my parents, feel like a bad son :/

Edit: Going to avoid the internet tonight, I've sort of just had enough of everything. My phone will beep if you message me on facebook/skype and whatnot.

jimbor

Banned
I think you're a nice guy Mike :)

And I think Tash is a nice guy. And Jordan. And even jimbor. You're all nice guys.

Ah, thanks. You're quite a nice guy too. I'm a grouchy bastard but ultimately decent. I'm definitely not one of those self defined 'nice guys'. Fuck that shit

Need to get out of the house tomorrow as the ex has her sister and brother in law coming over. They're nice people that I always got on with but I think it'd be a tad awkward. They've also got an 18 month old rugrat.

A few of my friends are going Brighton Pride but not sure I can be arsed with that. It'll be a mammoth drugs session and not really sure if I want to do that and wipe out my whole weekend.

Suairyu

Banned
So, uh... Everquest Next's world is made of voxels and is completely destructable. In an MMO.

RockPaperShotgun writeup seems to declare it as the most impressive game they've ever seen.

I don't really play MMOs, but I love following their developments.

Choice quotes:
And then a golem stamped on the players, breaking through the continent’s crust and sending everybody tumbling into a dimly lit subterranean world. They regained their senses and found themselves in a cavern, a procedurally generated space that could link to demonic lairs, forgotten kingdoms or warrens of tunnels, twisting maze-like into darkness.

That’s worth saying again: exploration isn’t simply about walking from point to point, it’s about making new routes to previously impossible places.

A gang of orcs, for example, won’t simply appear at a specific point in the world, replenishing shortly after they have been eliminated. Instead, when they appear, they react to the changing world. They act as bandits, and their purpose is to steal and murder. Therefore, they’ll lurk near settlements, finding good positions to carry out roadside ambushes as goods and people travel from village to village.

If a group of players start to patrol that road, clashing with the orcs, the parameters change. The AI reinterprets the situation, checking if the threat level is too high and possibly deciding to move on, wandering until it discovers a new suitable location. Or perhaps not. It’s possible that a particular group of players won’t present a strong enough threat, in which case the orcs could become more confident, preparing an assault. Or maybe they have a leader who will call for reinforcements.

There’s a final addition to the game’s structure that ties everything else together. Keeping with the blank slate approach to the genre, which involves jettisoning a great deal of jargon, larger quests aren’t defined as ‘raids’ or ‘instances’. There will, at any one time, be an over-riding, worldwide mission, which SOE describe as a ‘Rallying Call’. Every single player is part of a Call, although they are free to ignore its objectives. Each one will last for around three months and they will alter the world in a more directed fashion, creating enormous structural changes or new alliances and enmities.

It’s hard to express how large the shift in my expectations was. When John Smedley, CEO of SOE, introduced key members of the team, he gave them a lot to live up to. Twice, he explained, the project has been abandoned and restarted, with eighteen months of work completed each time. There was a fundamental problem. The games they were making had already been made. Static worlds, in which monsters and equipment act as little more than bundles of numbers, and players grind against them for the rest of time.

‘Enough is enough’, he said, ‘we’ve played the same game too many times’. He’s right. When Everquest Next comes out next year, whether it hits the mark on every front or not, it’s going to change our expectations of what an online fantasy world is capable of.

Sounds like the first meaningful development in MMOs since World of Warcraft.

Reknoc

So, uh... Everquest Next's world is made of voxels and is completely destructable. In an MMO.

RockPaperShotgun writeup seems to declare it as the most impressive game they've ever seen.

I don't really play MMOs, but I love following their developments.

Choice quotes:

Sounds like the first meaningful development in MMOs since World of Warcraft.

Yea, just finished reading that. Was just about to moan about them talking about footage they saw and wished I got to see that instead of read some guys thoughts about it... but then this showed up on my twitter timeline
http://www.twitch.tv/soe

Reknoc

Okay the more I watch this the more it's a game I'd actually play, despite it being an MMO.

I wasn't too impressed at first, stuff I'd seen before (guild wars 2) and promises that have been broken before (guild wars 2) but if they can actually deliver on the destructibility and evolving world then it could be something really awesome.

edit: that said, the game looks really good, when people say voxels I always think of Outcast.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
Sounds like you've both come down with a case of the Molyneuxs. I'd wait to see the mechanics they talk about in action lest ye get your fables debunked. Especially with an MMO, shit is notorious for promising the world and delivering a snow globe.

EDIT: OK on re-read it sounds like you both know this. Can't be too careful, MMOs and bullshit are like fat kids and cake.
Okay the more I watch this the more it's a game I'd actually play, despite it being an MMO.
Yeah and do a write-up like what you did for WoW, that shit was entertaining.

Reknoc

The only immediate problem I have is that the combat they showed was particle overload, 90% of the time you couldn't see shit (this is also a problem with Guild Wars 2).

edit: damn actually, you're bang on with being molyneux'd, this is basically Fable 2.0

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
That said, I do appreciate description of new MMO design concepts (a rare occurrence) and believe it to hold more importance in this genre of gaming than the technology itself. How they handle Rallying Calls could be pretty interesting seeing as they are promising persistent world change & development on a pretty regular schedule. The branching path of different server decisions has always sounded really cool to me and something that has been fairly unique to EQ since the beginning. Other games kinda just tried to weakly riff of this or have competitions that don't really derive far from the game's "canon".

But yeah I would definitely wait for beta impressions before getting too excited.

The idea that they're at least looking to make something different is at least bound to result in something at least somewhat interesting. Especially in a genre as stale as the MMO.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
I guess all the BritGAF chat earlier conspired into something in real life as I got offered some cheese and partook. Now I feel lightly baked with a roasted centre. This is why I almost never do (maybe four or five times a year at most). So I can be pleasantly up from the smallest amount.

So I finally got around to Sherlock.

This is good, you guys. Really good. I don't watch much TV but I love the old Sherlock Holmes stories so this is just great for me.

Mikeside

I guess all the BritGAF chat earlier conspired into something in real life as I got offered some cheese and partook. Now I feel lightly baked with a roasted centre. This is why I almost never do (maybe four or five times a year at most). So I can be pleasantly up from the smallest amount.

That's it.
I'm getting baked tonight.

Suairyu

Banned
That said, I do appreciate description of new MMO design concepts (a rare occurrence) and believe it to hold more importance in this genre of gaming than the technology itself.
This is ever the appeal for me. For example, I could read about Eve Online forever. I could never play it - I'd get bored.

The notion of an MMO where from launch to a year down the line the gameworld will be affected so much by player action that it'd be near unrecognisable is hugely appealing. In the presentation they said a reality was that even if you started again with a new character, it'd be near impossible to have a like-for-like experience in any notable way.

That's fucking cool.

Also virtualised geometry > static triangles, so even if it ends up sucking, it's awesome purely on a tech level.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom