• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BritGAF |OT3| It's good, but it's not right.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I did chuckle at this. Hopefully it will get picked up by the Mail and BBC in moral outrage, before asking if we need a national 'debate' on decency.

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=610887372259303

Also let's play a game: take a shot every time a BBC news presenter asks for a sense of the situation (or similar). You'll be dead by tea time.

Holy shit this is so funny. I can't even... wow.

"She took me fookin' milk, the bitch".

SKINNER!

Banned
Okay, these are amazing. I've changed my mind, these more than make up for the things I don't like about the game. Good game.

The game isn't perfect by all means. I personally didn't like how the scary/creepy ambiance was missing compared to Bioshock 1 and 2 but the overall story, sound and setting was incredible.

Mikeside

How did I somehow know you would be the one to stan Margaret Thatcher when I woke up and heard the news on NPR this morning?

Dead women don't put out mate.

I'm not going to argue the politics because my point, as Jed put better, is that she's a human being and we should have some respect for a life.

But yeah... Turning it into a personal attack? Go fuck yourself. You're obviously a troll and I really don't have time to waste on you.

Edit: maybe a bit strong? Apologies for the troll comment but I stand by the point

Rubbish King

The gift that keeps on giving
iapetus is the only sane person left in that thread

Guys lets talk about something else

Some of us hate thatcher and everything she stood for and are glad she has finally kicked the bucket

Some of us are not

Let's move on and talk about Chinners health insurance crisis and that I am learning french and it's going well and it's only been a day and have some how managed to remember all my french lessons

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
There's a difference between decrying the public persona someone had and the awful policies they put into place and not 'respecting a life'. I don't believing in white-washing reputation because someone has died. Outside of hazing her funeral, screaming at her relatives or literally shitting on her grave and that sort of extreme activity, I don't have a problem with people expressing their discontent before or after death. Same thing happens with many celebrities and politicians. I'm all for respecting the families but I'm not going to advocate keeping your opinion to yourself just because someone has died.
Never heard the phrase 'crack open a cold one'?
This puts my uncle's afternoon hobbies into a new and terrifying light.

Mikeside

There's a difference between decrying the public persona someone had and the awful policies they put into place and not 'respecting a life'. I don't believing in white-washing reputation because someone has died. Outside of hazing her funeral, screaming at her relatives or literally shitting on her grave and that sort of extreme activity, I don't have a problem with people expressing their discontent before or after death. Same thing happens with many celebrities and politicians. I'm all for respecting the families but I'm not going to advocate keeping your opinion to yourself just because someone has died.This puts my uncle's afternoon hobbies into a new and terrifying light.

But you didn't make a point about thatcher to piss me off, you made it clear that you think I'm some predictable Tory who will always fly the flag and then turned it into a 'mike can't get laid' comment as a personal attack because we don't share an opinion.

Lirlond

I'm not going to argue the politics because my point, as Jed put better, is that she's a human being and we should have some respect for a life.

The same respect she had for all the people suffering under apartheid? The same respect she had for the millions she put out of work? The same respect she showed when she propositioned clause 28?

I know it seems bad to celebrate her death, but she was a monster.

Rubbish King

Michael, are you a tory?

ALSO

Somebody be happy for me as I have a job interview tomorrow and if it goes well I'll be starting on wednesday

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
I saw an opening to make an amusing comment and took it, Mikeside. But in the super serious matter of discussing opinion I understand that you feel differently about the matter. Can't hurt to be politically correct if you don't have a dog in the race. But I also genuinely thought if anyone was going to defend Thatcher somehow in light of her death it would likely be you. I didn't mean it to de-legitimize your position as much as just poke fun.

Just for the record, I think whether we agreed about it or not I would have probably tried to sneak a comment in either way.

Mikeside

The same respect she had for all the people suffering under apartheid? The same respect she had for the millions she put out of work? The same respect she showed when she propositioned clause 28?

I know it seems bad to celebrate her death, but she was a monster.

No, more respect than you perceive she had.
If you can't hold yourself above the standards of a perceived monster then I'm not really sure what to say.

She was never in charge during my lifetime, so it'd be silly for me to be all "rahhhh what a terrible leader". Also, she just died, so yeah. (Although she's kinda been dead for years now)

That said, I can see the media losing a few fans if they play this like they seem set to play it.

Mikeside

Michael, are you a tory?

I'm not really anything. I would've tentatively called myself a lib dem up until recently but I'm pretty dissatisfied with all 3 big parties right now.

I saw an opening to make an amusing comment and took it, Mikeside. But in the super serious matter of discussing opinion I understand that you feel differently about the matter. Can't hurt to be politically correct if you don't have a dog in the race. But I also genuinely thought if anyone was going to defend Thatcher somehow in light of her death it would likely be you. I didn't mean it to de-legitimize your position as much as just poke fun.

Just for the record, I think whether we agreed about it or not I would have probably tried to sneak a comment in either way.

The joke isn't what pissed me off so much as the 'oh mike I knew you'd be defending the monster in this story'. My point really didn't need attacking as it was a purely human response - not a political one.

Don't celebrate the death of others. Shouldn't that be step one in being a decent human being?
I feel like Dale at the fucking farm up in here </dramatics>

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
I don't agree that someone shouldn't celebrate the death of others. But there are for certain better ways to go about expressing yourself in light of a death.

Point is, I reject the idea that we should all hush up and hang our heads because she has died. If someone wants to take this opportunity to vent and educate others about why they think she was a piece of shit then by all means I believe they should be able to do it. Direct harassment of the family and Godwin's law aside, I believe you should be able to express yourself as much as you want. The media hardly ever gives a balanced view, preferring to whitewash in the light of someone's death, so I'd prefer common discussion not be dictated by the same censoring regulation.

Mikeside

I don't agree that someone shouldn't celebrate the death of others. But there are for certain better ways to go about expressing yourself in light of a death.

Point is, I reject the idea that we should all hush up and hang our heads because she has died. If someone wants to take this opportunity to vent and educate others about why they think she was a piece of shit then by all means I believe they should be able to do it. Direct harassment of the family and Godwin's law aside, I believe you should be able to express yourself as much as you want. The media hardly ever gives a balanced view, preferring to whitewash in the light of someone's death, so I'd prefer common discussion not be dictated by the same censoring regulation.

All valid opinions which I respect.
Doesn't really address my problem with how you addressed me though.

Rubbish King

My opinion of dead people I don't know is "They're dead oh well".

Am I a bad person?
Unless they made a positive impact on your life..it's hard to give a fuck
Good luck Tash!
Fankyoo :D
I'm a Tory.

BRING IT.
Well, I guess I'm simply going to have to murder you...Oh well
She was never in charge during my lifetime, so it'd be silly for me to be all "rahhhh what a terrible leader". Also, she just died, so yeah. (Although she's kinda been dead for years now)
totally agree, although I have my fathers 'Fuck conservative and everything they stand for' attitude
I'm not really anything. I would've tentatively called myself a lib dem up until recently but I'm pretty dissatisfied with all 3 big parties right now.
This is pretty much every sane mans viewpoint doe innit

Lirlond

Someone dying shouldn't erase the wrongs in their life. There's a lot of ignorance surrounding Thatcher, especially with younger folk. Everything I say today is something I'd have said yesterday.

Death should never be celebrated. It's a fine line to walk, because I think you should be free to say whatever you want about the positive ramifications of one's death ("Kim Jong Il died! Maybe the NK leader will be calmer (oh well never mind)") but you should be careful about saying the actual death was good. No-one wants to side with someone openly saying people popping their clogs is cool and all.

Besides, there's no benefits to Thatcher dying. I think you should educate people only when they open that debate up. Don't go in guns firing- stick to refuting.

Basically, be respectful and shit, regardless of how big a numpty you think someone is.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
Hot Coldman said:
Death should never be celebrating. It's a fine line to walk, because I think you should be free to say whatever you want about the positive ramifications of one's death ("Kim Jong Il died! Maybe the NK leader will be calmer (oh well never mind)") but you should be careful about saying the actual death was good. No-one wants to side with someone openly saying people popping their clogs is cool and all.

Besides, there's no benefits to Thatcher dying. I think you should educate people only when they open that debate up. Don't go in guns firing- stick to refuting.
I can agree with this. Her dying at this point doesn't change anything as she was simply an old woman at the end of her life. If someone wants to use that as a launch point to discuss her policies and their effect, you are correct in assuming they would add more legitimacy to their argument by avoiding the harsh rhetoric and simply refuting claims rather than compounding the hatred.
All valid opinions which I respect. But I also think people should feel free to express themselves and for a lot of people that means not really being able to approach the subject without a lot of anger.
Doesn't really address my problem with how you addressed me though.
I didn't think it needed to be addressed further.

But you didn't make a point about thatcher to piss me off, you made it clear that you think I'm some predictable Tory who will always fly the flag and then turned it into a 'mike can't get laid' comment as a personal attack because we don't share an opinion.

Nobody said you can't get laid. Carol Thatcher is still alive, and very available.

Mikeside

I can agree with this. Her dying at this point doesn't change anything as she was simply an old woman at the end of her life. If someone wants to use that as a launch point to discuss her policies and their effect, you are correct in assuming they would add more legitimacy to their argument by avoiding the harsh rhetoric and simply refuting claims rather than compounding the hatred.I didn't think it needed to be addressed further. Would you prefer I leave the quips to separate posts with tags before and after?

[this is a joke about iammikeside's dating life]
nothing to write home about
[/joke ends here]

Well we aren't really arguing about anything if we're not discussing your apparent need to call me out as a... Tory? I guess? I don't really give a shit about the rest. Its already been talked to death.

I'm just not in the mood to ignore whatever chip you have on your shoulder.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
Well we aren't really arguing about anything if we're not discussing your apparent need to call me out as a... Tory? I guess? I don't really give a shit about the rest. Its already been talked to death.

I'm just not in the mood to ignore whatever chip you have on your shoulder.
I have no problem with you being a Tory, Mike. Nor Musha. I can't say I'm surprised but I don't intend to give you further grief for it. It's better to have diversity in opinions rather than an echo chamber where everyone agrees all the time. Over here you would likely be Republican, so I can't say our political and economic ideas would often align but I don't have an issue with you subscribing to the political party of your choice.

Mikeside

I have no problem with you being a Tory, Mike. Nor Musha. I can't say I'm surprised but I don't intend to give you further grief for it. It's better to have diversity in opinions rather than an echo chamber where everyone agrees all the time. Over here you would likely be Republican, so I can't say our political and economic ideas would often align but I don't have an issue with you subscribing to the political party of your choice.

Being a Tory or not isn't really the point here.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
Well we aren't really arguing about anything if we're not discussing your apparent need to call me out as a...Tory?
Being a Tory or not isn't really the point here.

Well, IDK then mate. I'll just run along then.

stingy-jack-grave1.png

noffles

Banned
Everyone here who votes Tory is a cunt and I won't be speaking to you again.

Peace.

I'm fucking joking. Only if you read the Daily Mail are you a cunt.

SKINNER!

Banned

and the milk! The goddamn milk! Hell, Wu-tang cared more about the children than she did.

No, more respect than you perceive she had.
If you can't hold yourself above the standards of a perceived monster then I'm not really sure what to say.

I actually respect that you take the stance that it's wrong to shit talk about the recently deceased. Regardless of what the person did, human life is lost. The family would be in mourning. No need to dance on the grave etc. At least show respect for the first few days and then come in with criticisms once everything has settled down.

But the thing is, it is difficult to simply ignore the actions (espcially bad ones) that a recently deceased person has made during their lifetime. Therefore, it becomes quite awkward to endorse your stance when it comes to the deaths of people that are labelled as villains. Without referencing any particular figure in case someone believes that I'd be comparing them to Thatcher, would you apply the same opinion to other public figures/celebrities/people even if they had messed up ideologies, beliefs etc.? They are still human beings after all. If your answer is yes then I have to give you credit for that because it isn't an easy thing to pull off. As someone mentioned in the other thread, there isn't such a thing as a traditional "bad guy", it all comes down to public opinion/perception and their idea that what they were doing was "the right thing". To some, Thatcher was a great politician and a powerful leader that managed (and protected) Britain very well. To others, she was a "monster" that wrecked worker's unions and working class families. Either way, she's human just like every single good and bad person on this planet.

Actually if I lived in America I would most certainly be a Democrat.

I won't go in to all my reasons for being Tory, but it's mainly to do with Labour being so fucking inept.

And I ain't a Southerner, so it should be a little surprising?

PJV3

I hated her when she was alive
I hate her now she's dead.

It doesn't make any difference, she ruined the lives of people close to me.

reserve your respect for people you respect, or your respect is worthless.

Good riddence to bad rubbish.

I like the Green party because the MP for Brighton is Green and Brighton is the best city.

I actually have no idea who I'm going to vote for next election, whenever it is. Hm.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom