• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BritGAF |OT3| It's good, but it's not right.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TCRS

Banned
I can't play any instrument.. :/

My brother taught himself guitar and piano in the last two years. He's quite good at it (relatively) and very motivated. I can't even motivate myself to study for my exam...

PJV3

My brother taught himself guitar and piano in the last two years. He's quite good at it (relatively) and very motivated. I can't even motivate myself to study for my exam...

You could always join the Fall, Mark.E.Smith hates musicians.

Chinner

Banned

have you considered becoming a serial killer? sounds like its right up your alley.

TCRS

Banned
have you considered becoming a serial killer? sounds like its right up your alley.

It's not like I've never thought about it baka!

I'M JUST JOKING MI5!!!! get off my back you cunts

Someone stuck a notice on the town hall's pinboard.

"You're in Portsmouth, you got nothing better to do, why not join NeoGaf for a good time."

do it. and then pics.

So hey Thatcher's dead. Cool. (EDIT: Damnit, had you not made me write a list of bands I wouldn't have been beaten)

Oooooh what bands do you like?

TOP 3 (exclusively punx, so not including Feeder who are number 1 ever for me):

Latterman
Apologies, I Have None
The Ergs

OTHERS I'M NOT QUITE COMFORTABLE PUTTING IN A TOP [NUMBER] LIST YET BUT WHO ARE STILL REALLY FUCKING GOOD:

House Boat
Billy Raygun (doods were like 14 when they started, it's ridiculous)
Hot Water Music

There are definitely more OTHERS but my iPod died so I'm having trouble thinking of.

Jordan

Tashbrooke,

Where's best to start with learning to play a guitar... Obviously buying a guitar is normally a great start.

siddhu33

Judging by the thread in OT not a lot of people liked her.

Here I thought she was mostly liked and changed Britain a lot. Least in the US she came across that way...

Two parts of Britain, south mostly liked the changes, provided a lot of money. She fucked over the north though. She is like Britain's Reagan.

Also privatised almost everything, which causes dispute today.

Rubbish King

The gift that keeps on giving
Her changes weren't for the better for most of the country.
indeed
Tashbrooke,

Where's best to start with learning to play a guitar... Obviously buying a guitar is normally a great start.
This ain't a bad place to start
If you wanna look at guitars, PM what you're looking at, it's always good to spend a little extra (between 100-200)
Don't go spending 30 quid on a piece of shit you wont want to play on
Holy shit Margaret Thatcher's dead.

This calls for a beer

Darren870

Two parts of Britain, south mostly liked the changes, provided a lot of money. She fucked over the north though. She is like Britain's Reagan.

Also privatised almost everything, which causes dispute today.

Mmmm, did some reading up on her and can see how people feel that way. Also asked some of the guys at work and both the northern and southern guys didn't have anything nice to say about her.

I go back and forth with Reagan, I think since I don't live in the US now I am away from the hate and see all the things he did over seas. When I was in Berlin there was a lot about Reagan and the berlin wall. Made me appreciate the man more.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Woah. I was just talking about her last night and how kids of the past went "Maggie Thatcher milk snatcher" and wondered whether kids of today went "Gordon Brown, let the country down".

Woah. I was just talking about her last night and how kids of the past went "Maggie Thatcher milk snatcher" and wondered whether kids of today went "Gordon Brown, let the country down".

I happen to think doing very little is preferable to doing lots of terrible things.

Lirlond

The number of times Thatcherism and Reaganomics crop up in the same sentences when people talk about 80s politics...

Day off too yeah? please?! I need time from work to pay my respects :(

Fuck if the SNP motion for the latter they won't have to worry about re-election for a decade :lol

SKINNER!

Banned
Fuck if the SNP motion for the latter they won't have to worry about re-election for a decade :lol

sqpg0.gif

Mikeside

Ugh all the obvious Thatcher hate... She made tough decisions (as much as any politician really does) and yeah... They weren't for the best for everyone.
She's dead now, can we finally put it to fucking rest? Christ if everyone was held to the same expectations not to make a mistake we'd all be fucked.

I can't say I'd have made her decision any differently in the time she made it with the position we were all in.

Judging by the thread in OT not a lot of people liked her.

Here I thought she was mostly liked and changed Britain a lot. Least in the US she came across that way...

Nope. She had a strong character, determination, leadership of her party, and of course the first female PM, and generally did right in regards to foreign policy.

On the other hand her economic policies substantiated the north south divide we still see today. I've always believed going after the unions and removing a lot of the dead weight was needed, but in places reliant on coal, steel, shipbuilding, etc (i.e. massive parts of Wales, northern England, and Scotland), she implemented no programs to replace them with new industries. Most of these areas declined hugely, and took decades to even begin to recover (a process still ongoing).

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
It was before my time and being in the South I've not been exposed to what happened up north. That's why I usually just refrain from commenting on the issue. Haven't even posted in the main thread,

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Ugh all the obvious Thatcher hate... She made tough decisions (as much as any politician really does) and yeah... They weren't for the best for everyone.
She's dead now, can we finally put it to fucking rest? Christ if everyone was held to the same expectations not to make a mistake we'd all be fucked.

I can't say I'd have made her decision any differently in the time she made it with the position we were all in.

I know, just saw someone on my FB decrying her state funeral. She was a PM ffs, they all get it. Should she be denied it for being a bit of a cunt? Prediction - new entry at number one as "Britain's most pooped-on grave" in the 2013 charts.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
She was still a fucking person though, how about just a smidge of respect. It's not even like our generation really remembers what she did outside of what our parents told us either.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.

How did I somehow know you would be the one to stan Margaret Thatcher when I woke up and heard the news on NPR this morning?

Dead women don't put out mate.

Hate always sounded pretty justified but it could have also been part of counter-culture and 'cool' to hate on her. Either way, she made her own reputation but everyone makes 'tough decisions' and from what I understand she made some really shit ones that screwed over a certain class of people. I think one of the reporters talking on the radio this morning was probably right, in 50 or so years time, history will have white-washed the whole affair and she will be a landmark representative for women in politics or some such bollocks.

She was still a fucking person though, how about just a smidge of respect. It's not even like our generation really remembers what she did outside of what our parents told us either.

Can't say I agree with this method of thinking. Of course the feelings of those that grew up and lived in the 80's are going to be stronger, and well-informed. Doesn't mean we can't be well informed either, and form our own opinions.

The "rot in hell" Facebook tirade is predictable and gruesome, I'll give you that. But I wouldn't go so far as to commend the woman, not for a moment.

Reknoc

This is just so freakin' cool.

Bioshock Infinite related: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-aH4o-VblLg&list=PLsJs8eSUgOjFIgwvMK0djgL55RHhNlRzu

No major story spoilers but folk who have yet to play the game and don't even want the little insignificant things spoiled should probably stay away from the link.

I love each and every one of these covers. Such a shame that it wasn't included in the official soundtrack. Never even knew that Shiny Happy People was covered.

Okay, these are amazing. I've changed my mind, these more than make up for the things I don't like about the game. Good game.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
How did I somehow know you would be the one to stan Margaret Thatcher when I woke up and heard the news on NPR this morning?

Dead women don't put out mate.

Don't be a cock, man. Maybe some of us think that crowing over a corpse is a bit distasteful? And it's not like we've had to wait till she was dead to stick the knife in either.

Tell you what, when the funeral is on TV and everyone is making her out to be the messiah, THEN we can start taking the piss and pushing back. But it's just fucking ghoulish when the body is barely even warm.

SKINNER!

Banned
Can't say I agree with this method of thinking. Of course the feelings of those that grew up and lived in the 80's are going to be stronger, and well-informed. Doesn't mean we can't be well informed either, and form our own opinions.

I'm with you on that. Also, her actions have impacted things beyond the 80s even after she left downing street. The 90s kids (our generation?) who's mothers and fathers lost their jobs in the 80s, they grew up during rough times.

Lmao, Jackben. Nicely delivered.

The Facebook level comments are frustrating, and people do easily forget this was someone's mother and grandmother.

But you're very wrong about her impact as Fork said. Her policies are still having big ramifications today in huge parts of the UK. Hell she even had her part to play in the 2008 crisis by starting the road to deregulation of the financial sector.

Tell you what, when the funeral is on TV and everyone is making her out to be the messiah, THEN we can start taking the piss and pushing back. But it's just fucking ghoulish when the body is barely even warm.

Turn on BBC, it's pretty much happening right now. The crowing over the body again I agree with you on.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned

The "rot in hell" Facebook tirade is predictable and gruesome, I'll give you that. But I wouldn't go so far as to commend the woman, not for a moment.

Me either, not in the slightest. But there's a difference between commending and rejoicing in a death. Exceptions made for northernGAF who are all obviously from mining families and therefore were deeply touched by her reign. I seen Billy Elliott, I feel your pain.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
Don't be a cock, man. Maybe some of us think that crowing over a corpse is a bit distasteful? And it's not like we've had to wait till she was dead to stick the knife in either.

People have hated her for a long time and waiting with baited breath for her to croak, I don't feel as if suddenly there is an outburst now that she's dead.

No one of the public really 'knows' her as a person so we can't comment fairly about that nor is it easy to sympathize her if you felt wronged. People probably see her as a dead politician that made awful choices. I expect there will be similar celebration when Bush dies despite the fact that he was mostly just a puppet. I'll probably have a drink when Dick Chaney passes.

Honestly I haven't seen anything I would call distasteful, just people expressing their opinion about really hating Thatcher because she is back in the news now that she has finally died. I had an English teacher in the Isle of Man that used to talk about the protests and would be like 'stamp the dirt down!' when talking about Thatcher. It was more amusing than serious to me. But the Internet sure knows how to take shit too far and beat a dead horse beyond recognition, so if your reaction is based on that then I can understand.

SKINNER!

Banned
People have hated her for a long time...

And hate is probably a tame word to be honest. Folk in small towns and villages around Scotland (where mining was huge) would literally spit whenever her name was mentioned. That's like "Libya post-Gaddaffi" hate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom