• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BritGAF |OT6| Dark Souls? More like Arse Holes

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
I'm sorry, Sploatee has spoken we cannot speak of such... *waits for Sploatee to tab out of Gaf*

summer-of-4-ft-21.png

... Follow me

Oh ignore me. I'm just being a dickhead. Really I just wanted to stealth brag that I have more letters after my name now, even though they really don't mean anything and it's not that great an achievement.

I'd repeat that I don't like anime but really I'm just ignorant. My only impressions of it are of gigantic eyes and creepy naïveté / infantilism. I'm sure there's good stuff out there.

So don't listen to me.

Hang on a minute, you didn't!!! That's it! I'm going to very politely huff at my desk.

I'd repeat that I don't like anime but really I'm just ignorant. My only impressions of it are of gigantic eyes and creepy naïveté / infantilism. I'm sure there's good stuff out there.

To be fair, most anime probably really is shit. My friend told me to watch Kotoura-san, so I did, and it had an amazing opening ten minutes, I was properly excited to watch more. Then I did, and it devolved into one of those shit high-school animes where all the tropes are present and correct. I tried to keep going because she'd assured me it was good, but when it started trying to get lols with acts of incestuous sexual assault, I couldn't stick it any more.

It was a bizarre turnaround from how good it started.

It's like all TV though. Gotta take the good with the bad.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
Akira, Domu, Ghost in the Shell, Guyver, Oedo 808, Appleseed, Patlabour, Blade of the Immortal, and Ninja Scroll are the extent of my anime knowledge. They're awesome though, especially Akira.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
You need some Ghibli in your life. But all good choices, 7 senpai's out of 10.

Surely everyone's seen Spirited Away

I forgot/don't really include the Ghibli stuff in that bunch, the same way I wouldn't include stuff like Pokemon, Astroboy or DBZ (not comparing them to Ghibli, just saying they exist in very different categories to me). Seen plenty of Ghibli.

Porco Rosso and Nausicaa are my favourites. Oh, and the one with shape-shifting raccoons with inflatable balls.

Yet no Berserk. Miyazaki is crying into all his bloodborne money.

Berserk has never interested me. *shrugs*

Qasiel

Kill la Kill is just creepy. And it knows it. I'm watching it on/off at the moment and although the story has potential it keeps getting overshadowed by jokes involving schoolkids and sexual deviants.

NinjaBoiX

Missed the Melissa Mccarthy bashing, I've never seen any of her other films but I thought she was hilarious in Go. She's only in it for about 15 seconds but it's one of my favourite scenes.

Ah Go, a Tarantino flick for the MTV Generation. Loved that movie back in the day! Wicked soundtrack too.

Leftfield - Swords

Todd: "You come to me for 20 hits of X, just so happens 20 is the magic number where Intent to Supply becomes Trafficking?"

Rhona: "Todd please, I would never fuck you like that."

Todd: "How would you, fuck me?"

Lunch_Box_

Neo Member
Speaking of tasteful anime, payday tomorrow so I'm probably gonna get a ticket to see Princess Kaguya on Friday.

My friends writes reviews for movies and he went to a screening of it and said it was really great. I'll hopefully be seeing it soon as well.

Lunch_Box_

Neo Member
Runs from Friday to the 2nd of April at the Broadway.

That's where I was planning on going to see it. Still haven't been to the Broadway cinema since I've got an unlimited card with Cineworld so there hasn't been much need.

I hear it's real nice though! Guess I'll find out this weekend if I go if not next week.

Watch legend of the galactic heroes Meat.

Slow burner but lots of political philosophising. Its kind of anime that plays classical music during space battles. Also blissfully free of the giant watery eyes "ONI-CHAN!" thing.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Speaking of tasteful anime, payday tomorrow so I'm probably gonna get a ticket to see Princess Kaguya on Friday.
I was going to see it with my mother who quite likes Ghibli movies but she is ill. May have to see it on my lonesome because of it's short showing.

Reknoc

I was going to see it with my mother who quite likes Ghibli movies but she is ill. May have to see it on my lonesome because of it's short showing.

My mum wants to see it as well so I might go another time with her, I'm not a massive fan of going to the cinema though.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
My mum wants to see it as well so I might go another time with her, I'm not a massive fan of going to the cinema though.
My local should be fairly quiet. Shame the middle of the day showings (when it would be quietest) are the english dub and I make a point of seeing foreign productions in their native language first.

Reknoc

My local should be fairly quiet. Shame the middle of the day showings (when it would be quietest) are the english dub and I make a point of seeing foreign productions in their native language first.

I don't even know what language it's in at this one it doesn't say. The trailer is dubbed but it seems like some arty cinema.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
Watch legend of the galactic heroes Meat.

Slow burner but lots of political philosophising. Its kind of anime that plays classical music during space battles. Also blissfully free of the giant watery eyes "ONI-CHAN!" thing.

That sounds pretty good. I'll keep an eye out.

:( It's really good though! Probably, I've only read the manga. Good soundtrack mind, guy that did pretty much all of Satoshi Kon's films.

It's the European Medieval fantasy, it isn't usually my bag. Dark Souls and DD:DA are unusual exceptions.

Speaking of European Medieval fantasy, I just discovered that this is a sport.

I knew people did re enactments but yeeesh

Saw something similar to that at a medieval fête in France.

Shit is entertaining as fuck. I wish I had reason to go around in armour like that. I would work in ye olde medieval speeke too.

"I asked for milk and two sugars you fucking knave"

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
That sounds pretty good. I'll keep an eye out.

It's the European Medieval fantasy, it isn't usually my bag. Dark Souls and DD:DA are unusual exceptions.

DS is near horror imo. It has that 'tasteful' terror that Miyazaki often talks about.

Definitely lots of body horror going on.

Look at that. Dark Souls, again. I'm really sorry everyone. Honestly. I do have other things in my life. But I have all this pent up DS conversation which I imagine everyone else had back in 2012. Sorry again.

Volotaire

Think about this for a minute: I (and you) have probably passed a member of BritGAF on the roads or streets without knowledge of it. We live in a small world.

Qasiel

Speaking of European Medieval fantasy, I just discovered that this is a sport.

I knew people did re enactments but yeeesh

I used to do re-enactment as a younger man but last weekend managed to dig my gear out and go to the banquet of my old group (the guy who runs it is on his last legs and is a friend of the family so a lot of us went there to see him).

On the way I bumped into some other re-enactors, randomly in a petrol station, who invited me to try the full body combat side of things. I'm not an aggressive man but part of me is missing swinging a sword around and twatting a guy with it. Plus they train in London, which is a huge bonus.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
Fair enough, though you literally couldn't have chosen two games more berserk ass as those two lol

Think of it like this: I like strawberry flavoured sweets, but I'm put off by the texture of actual strawberries.

Maybe DD:DA is similar (although I imagine the lore in Berserker isn't nearly as meta which is my main attraction), but Souls seems to my untrained eye aesthetically distinct from the little Beserker I've seen. Like Sploatee said, there's the element of horror/body horror to it, as well as the surreal and downright weird.

DS is near horror imo. It has that 'tasteful' terror that Miyazaki often talks about.

Definitely lots of body horror going on.

Look at that. Dark Souls, again. I'm really sorry everyone. Honestly. I do have other things in my life. But I have all this pent up DS conversation which I imagine everyone else had back in 2012. Sorry again.

The main draw for me is the sense of entropy; of walking through the carcass of a kingdom or a mausoleum world at the end of everything. I get a sense that I'm living with the after effects of Really Important Events rather than partaking in them. It's weird. It inspires me to write shitty gothy posts like this about it.

Symphonia

Banned
Think about this for a minute: I (and you) have probably passed a member of BritGAF on the roads or streets without knowledge of it. We live in a small world.
There's a gaffer who works in the centre of town. I walk past his place of work everyday. I don't know who he is, what he looks like, or what he sounds like. All I know is his office/desk overlooks the street I walk down. It's a weird feeling knowing he can see me, but I can't see him.

NinjaBoiX

Every time I pass Maplin on Oxford Road I keep meaning to poke my head in and shout "show me your skeleton"!

But then I think I may feel obligated to buy an overpriced electrical component of questionable quality and lose my bottle.

Reknoc

Think of it like this: I like strawberry flavoured sweets, but I'm put off by the texture of actual strawberries.

Maybe DD:DA is similar (although I imagine the lore in Berserker isn't nearly as meta which is my main attraction), but Souls seems to my untrained eye aesthetically distinct from the little Beserker I've seen. Like Sploatee said, there's the element of horror/body horror to it, as well as the surreal and downright weird.

I think most of the similarities are in stuff that isn't really covered by the anime since that only covers the flashback arc which is a little more grounded. This is interesting but I do feel some are reaching https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-uuR9B1gjQ

edit: man I don't recognize a bunch of those monsters that show up in that video. I really need to catch up on the manga.

Every time I pass Maplin on Oxford Road I keep meaning to poke my head in and shout "show me your skeleton"!

But then I think I may feel obligated to buy an overpriced electrical component of questionable quality and lose my bottle.

Would probably sound a little strange to others. Someone might even comply.

i know i must either live near or work near the sploatees because of geese and that burrito place she mentioned.

huh. that would make my colleagues think i'm somehow famous. i would turn as red as my beard. and then sell you a piece of overpriced tat.

also ding dong the witch is dead etc. regarding jeremy clarkson's firing.

Mikeside

i know i must either live near or work near the sploatees because of geese and that burrito place she mentioned.

huh. that would make my colleagues think i'm somehow famous. i would turn as red as my beard. and then sell you a piece of overpriced tat.

also ding dong the witch is dead etc. regarding jeremy clarkson's firing.

I'm pretty sure I bought a console cable in that Maplin...

Top Bottom