• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BritGAF |OT6| Dark Souls? More like Arse Holes

The_Poet

Banned
Drangleic was at war with the giants. Vendrick won but took an artefact with him for Nashandra that caused the giants to invade THEM afterwards, causing the downfall of Drangleic and Vendrick became hollowed. Nashandra essentially used Vendrick in order to get this to happen so she could take the throne, and by guiding you through the last half of the game, you open up the path to the throne and then take it yourself. Or some shit. There's way more to it in terms of the lore, but the basics of the game's actual plot are, well, basic.

Was Nashandra the queen?

It seems that DS2 is just the story of some dude I don't give a shit about, while DS1 was about discovering how the world worked and what the undead cycle is/does.

NinjaBoiX

Had a great time last night, Gorilla is a lovely, intimate venue and Lucy Rose was excellent. She has a very restrained vocal on record so it's no surprise she managed to replicate and occasionally surpass it live. She had to turn her mic up after the first two songs because people could barely hear her, bless! Stood pretty much at the front too, we had a really good view. She a purdy little lady.

She played some new stuff which is sounding really promising and pretty much most of her debut (it was a 19 song set). Lines was typically a highlight, such a clever little track:

Lucy Rose - Lines (video)

Also, would highly recommend Turtle Bay, went for a burger a cocktails before we went in, super tasty, excellent service and really cheap!
Still reeling from the shock of how damn good Sleater-Kinney were. Corin has some hilarious dance moves.
Awesome! Highlights?
Anyone seen the trailer for "Pixels?" It'll make you wanna disinfect your eyes with bleach.
Yeah, it looks terrible, I hope they didn't put the best gags in the trailer.

Lunch_Box_

Neo Member
Also, would highly recommend Turtle Bay, went for a burger a cocktails before we went in, super tasty, excellent service and really cheap!

Mhmm Turtle Bay is great! Jerk all the things! Plus they are one of the few restaurants that serve plantain, I honestly can't get enough of that stuff.

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
Mhmm Turtle Bay is great! Jerk all the things! Plus they are one of the few restaurants that serve plantain, I honestly can't get enough of that stuff.

Lunch, are you MancGAF?

I don't mind Turtle Bay, but I do like the sauces they sell. They do a chilli one in a flattish bottle (a bit like a whiskey bottle) which is almost identical to the hot sauce my dad makes.

I'm on my own in my part of the office today. All the junior people are at a training conference and everyone else is in a different office. It's very dull.

Excited for the meet though. I know there's a dedicated meet theead but I don't care because this is 'general weekend posting'. I've got Friday off so going in the morning to see if I can help out a charity called LGBT Youth North West with any contacts or organisations I can share with them (what I would have given for a similar charity when I was a teenager), then get my nails done then pick up Bloodborne. I'm taking in a was of games to trade in because I don't want to spend any money on a game I'm not going to play for a year. I just need that art book, unfortunately.

Emma and I are really excited to meet the people that are going. Hopefully it won't be too awkward now that you know my sordid history! We're staying in a hotel called Qbic somewhere in Shoreditch. The rooms are all cubes and it's like staying in an IKEA catalogue. It's about as hip as hip can get. So we will stick out like a sore thumb.

We might go to see Big Ben and Buckingham Palace in the afternoon (weather depending) or other similar cheap touristy things.

I really, really hope that Emma's health holds up when we go out in the evening. It's always a bit of a worry but she's been pretty good so far this week. I have already said that I will keep plastering her with alcohol until she can't feel anything!

Oh I also bought the special edition of Demon's Souls from a dude off eBay. Can you tell it's payday on Friday?

Lunch_Box_

Neo Member
Lunch, are you MancGAF?

I don't mind Turtle Bay, but I do like the sauces they sell. They do a chilli one in a flattish bottle (a bit like a whiskey bottle) which is almost identical to the hot sauce my dad makes.

No unfortunately (I do love Manchester) I live in Nottingham at the moment. So when I say I moved north I really meant North Midlands.

NinjaBoiX

Lunch, are you MancGAF?

Yeah, I slathered that sauce all over my fries. The jerk slaw is bang tidy too.

It's a franchise place, apparently they recently opened one in London. I can't wait until Dean goes so he can tell us it's actually shit and that we're all burger peasants.

Lunch_Box_

Neo Member
If your going to be in the Shoreditch area of London then I cannot recommend this place enough.

http://birdrestaurants.com/

The waffle burger is a killer. Just make sure you don't plan a night of drinking after eating here because the food will soak up any amount of alcohol you consume, and will also make you sleepy, very sleepy, but the good kind of sleepy.

Qasiel

You're both wrong.

I respect your opinion Sploat, but it really was dreadful. Packed full of over-acting, unfunny and unlikable characters. Plot was as weak as my Nan's tea. The only redeeming feature was good guy Chris O'Dowd.

I really don't get the love people have for Melissa McCarthy. She's been rubbish in everything I've had the misfortune to watch her in and I can't say I'm holding out much hope for the new Ghostbusters film.

Mikeside

I respect your opinion Sploat, but it really was dreadful. Packed full of over-acting, unfunny and unlikable characters. Plot was as weak as my Nan's tea. The only redeeming feature was good guy Chris O'Dowd.

I really don't get the love people have for Melissa McCarthy. She's been rubbish in everything I've had the misfortune to watch her in and I can't say I'm holding out much hope for the new Ghostbusters film.

She's the worst thing in all the world. So unfunny that I can't actually fathom how people enjoy her.

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider

That's a shame. I don't know what to say really. I don't really see it as a gross out comedy apart from one or two bits but I've never seen The Hangover or any of its sequels.

It made me laugh a lot and it felt kind of 'true' to me. At least a lot more 'true' that most of the female-oriented films I watch.

She's the worst thing in all the world. So unfunny that I can't actually fathom how people enjoy her.

That's a shame too. Again I don't really know what to say. I grew up with her in Gilmore Girls so I've always liked her. I would quote some funny lines but I imagine you'd pull quite a stern face.

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
ughh, gilmore girls aka how all my problems are solved by inheriting money (then being a dick about it).

:-( Lorelei Gilmour is one of my favourite TV characters.

Erm. I'm feeling a bit threatened now. Does anyone like...er...Twilight? What about the Hunger Games?

I said those as a bit of a joke as I expect nobody in this thread will like them. Just to be clear. Even though I like them!

Now it becomes clear why I stick to Dark Souls :-(

Glad you enjoyed!

They were amazing last time I saw them. And by amazing I mean "incredible and one of the best bands I've ever seen perform".

Did Carrie do any high kicks? I bet Janet's drums sounded HUGE.

Carrie did a lot of high kicks. Also she fucked up the beginning to Start Together which was funny. And she got weird on the floor at one point. She's cool as hell.

Everything sounded huge. The songs from One Beat were just amazing. They ended on Dig Me Out too which was a real hype moment for me. Obviously a lot of new songs (New Wave is a definite classic after this) but they played at least three songs from everything bar the first two (although Joey Ramone was in the encore).

Probably should have gone. :p

Lunch_Box_

Neo Member

Erm. I'm feeling a bit threatened now. Does anyone like...er...Twilight? What about the Hunger Games?

I said those as a bit of a joke as I expect nobody in this thread will like them. Just to be clear. Even though I like them!

I liked the Hunger Games, however I have to admit that I thought Mockingjay Part 1 was awful.

But yeah it's OK. When I first heard what it was about I immediately judged it as being a Battle Royale rip off but I enjoyed it in the end. Twilight however... ಠ_ಠ

Mikeside

I liked the Hunger Games, however I have to admit that I thought Mockingjay Part 1 was awful.

But yeah it's OK. When I first heard what it was about I immediately judged it as being a Battle Royale rip off but I enjoyed it in the end. Twilight however... ಠ_ಠ

The annoying thing about the comparison is that people act like Battle Royale is this incredible movie... But it's actually got a butt load of problems. I like it a lot but it's not worthy of the lofty praise it gets

Lunch_Box_

Neo Member
The annoying thing about the comparison is that people act like Battle Royale is this incredible movie... But it's actually got a butt load of problems. I like it a lot but it's not worthy of the lofty praise it gets

I agree, it isn't a fantastic film by any means. My point was that initially I judged The Hunger Games because of the underlying similarities between the two, which are obvious.

Without knowing anything about the books, initially I just thought they were digging up the concept up from an old movie that they thought not many people may have watched for some $$$. Just shows how ignorant I was, but in the end I liked The Hunger Games.

i like the hunger games and recently watched divergence which is very similar. read neither of the books, mind.
twilight is a little vapid and dangerous as it seems to promote a weak central female who is thrown between two overly aggressive male characters but the film adaptations, and their popularity, is important in 'allowing' for action-orientated, physically active female-led, teenage cinema.

I liked Bridesmaids, The Hunger Games and Twilight, books and films.

I agree, it isn't a fantastic film by any means. My point was that initially I judged The Hunger Games because of the underlying similarities between the two, which are obvious.

Without knowing anything about the books, initially I just thought they were digging up the concept up from an old movie that they thought not many people may have watched for some $$$. Just shows how ignorant I was, but in the end I liked The Hunger Games.

The book could easily have been written for that reason

Volotaire

Oh man, my stomach turned vile this morning. I have no idea what caused that kind of pain. It seems to have passed now.

I'm surprised there is no Bloodbourne talk. I think I'll make it my mission to complete either Dark or demon Souls this year.

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
i like the hunger games and recently watched divergence which is very similar. read neither of the books, mind.
twilight is a little vapid and dangerous as it seems to promote a weak central female who is thrown between two overly aggressive male characters but the film adaptations, and their popularity, is important in 'allowing' for action-orientated, physically active female-led, teenage cinema.

I think that's probably fair? I've not read the books but I'm told that Bella is less mopey and passive in them.

They were fun and I like the idea of being married to a man with an amazing body that can turn into a gigantic cute and friendly wolf. That would protect me and stuff. I'll stop now :)

I liked Bridesmaids, The Hunger Games and Twilight, books and films.

*shaking of the Northern fist*

*in solidarity*

Oh man, my stomach turned vile this morning. I have no idea what caused that kind of pain. It seems to have passed now.

I'm surprised there is no Bloodbourne talk. I think I'll make it my mission to complete either Dark or demon Souls this year.

Well, it's not out yet I guess is one thing. Also I'm trying to keep all Soulsy talk to the relevant threads because even I get sick of going on about them. I've had numerous warnings from folk in real life that I might be a bit obsessed!

Eesh. Hope it wasn't anything serious and doesn't come back!

Symphonia

Banned
I enjoy the Hunger Games films, and I tolerated the Twilight films in the name of love. I wouldn't rewatch them, though, there's only so much Kristen 'One Face For All Expressions' Stewart I can take. But, for what it's worth, I'm #TeamEdward all the way. Jacob is just such an arrogant, egotistical cunt.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member

Hunger Games (at least the first one) seems ostensibly similar to BR, but it's more of an on-the-nose satire of celebrity culture. I'm not a fan but I respect what it was going for.

I think BR is more focused on specifically Japanese stereotypes/teen culture (I'm no expert GUFFAW). It's an excellent film though. What are the problems with it?

Mikeside

Hunger Games (at least the first one) seems ostensibly similar to BR, but it's more of an on-the-nose satire of celebrity culture. I'm not a fan but I respect what it was going for.

I think BR is more focused on specifically Japanese stereotypes/teen culture (I'm no expert GUFFAW). It's an excellent film though. What are the problems with it?

The acting is largely crap, the plot with the teacher is unsatisfying in many places (his character development could have been so much more. I wanted to feel for the guy) and could do with a lot more to fully round it out.
The pacing is horrible and I think the second half of the film needs a lot more time to bake.

That said, it has great moments. The lighthouse scene is incredible.

We can all agree the sequel is trash.

SKINNER!

Banned
BR isn't a masterpiece by all means but it was an enjoyable fun flick. Cheesy at parts.

I don't mind the Hunger Games (Enjoyed the first two. Yet to see Mockingjay) but - compared to BR - it does take itself a lot more seriously. Considering other awful movie franchises, Hunger Games isn't as bad IMO.

My only gripe is with the censored violence. Either keep it clean for the kids or go all out for the adults. None of this shaky cam/turn away when the seen is too gruesome/remove blood effects bollocks.

I enjoy the Hunger Games films, and I tolerated the Twilight films in the name of love. I wouldn't rewatch them, though, there's only so much Kristen 'One Face For All Expressions' Stewart I can take. But, for what it's worth, I'm #TeamEdward all the way. Jacob is just such an arrogant, egotistical cunt.

I would recommend watching them (Twilight films) with Rifftrax commentary over the top.

ughh, gilmore girls aka how all my problems are solved by inheriting money (then being a dick about it).

Gilmore Girls is basically a show where they don't talk to eachother, something bad happens, why don't we talk to eachother, oh when we do everything's fine

AND REPEAT

as an aside yes I have watched every episode and enjoy it and the GF has watched it through entirely too many times to count

Qasiel

I can't stand the Twilight films. I've sat through them with my girlfriend and found them to be completely drab and lifeless, although I guess that's supposed to be the theme, right?

The first 2 Hunger Games films were ok (not seen Mockingjay yet) and I preferred the second one but that's probably because it seemed like less of a Battle Royale clone and stood more on it's own two feet. Plus they've got Woody Harrelson in them, which is pretty great in my book.

I'm sounding like a complete misog today but I don't mean to be!

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
it's out on friday i think.
no, no it's okay, don't mind me i'm just looking at the empty space my ps4 should take up, weeping to myself.

Game have sold out of all Bloodborne special editions. But I got 70 odd pounds for my trade ins because I put a fiver down anyway. So got 15 more. Very confusing. I like the manager there, he's a dude. Had a nice conversation.

I feel like a bit of a sucker for trading in my spare Bayo 2 special edition but my last 3 eBay sales all went pear shaped and I iust don't want the stress again.

Anyway. Erm. Don't be upset. While it seems I might not get my art book just yet the game will be around forever. If it's anything like DS there'll be dudes on NG+++++++++ all the way to 2025.

Gilmore Girls is basically a show where they don't talk to eachother, something bad happens, why don't we talk to eachother, oh when we do everything's fine

AND REPEAT

as an aside yes I have watched every episode and enjoy it and the GF has watched it through entirely too many times to count

I think it's the fast talking I like. I also want Lorelei's hair when it is curly. Mine is a weird mix between Arab and Western. It's neirher properly curly or properly straight and goes frizzy if the wind just blinks near it.

Lunch_Box_

Neo Member
Tru dat. It's a tad slow to begin with but it gets better over time. I hear a lot of people hating on it, but I don't get why.

The manga is way quicker (as is the case with most anime's) but I can see how people can think it's slow if they just stick to the show. Probably one of the best ones to come out recently by far.

I've recently gone back and re watched neon genesis evangelion. Been such a long time since i've seen it.

Has anyone checked out the Netflix original anime called Knights of Sidonia?

Has anyone checked out the Netflix original anime called Knights of Sidonia?

Is that actually a Netflix thing, or is it just one of those things they put "Netflix original" on when what they actually mean is "Netflix exclusive."

Better Call Saul and Trailer Park Boys are both "Netflix Original Series," but bollocks did Netflix have anything to do with them.

I should check it out though. I've been looking for something to replace AoT having finished that recently. I watched the first few episodes of Gurren Lagann because I heard it was good and it was actually a bit shit.

Lunch_Box_

Neo Member
Is that actually a Netflix thing, or is it just one of those things they put "Netflix original" on when what they actually mean is "Netflix exclusive."

Better Call Saul and Trailer Park Boys are both "Netflix Original Series," but bollocks did Netflix have anything to do with them.

I should check it out though. I've been looking for something to replace AoT having finished that recently. I watched the first few episodes of Gurren Lagann because I heard it was good and it was actually a bit shit.

Looks like it's a Netflix exclusive rather than an original. Whoops.

It's good, I liked it but then again I'm a sucker for anything that has mecha in it :3 By no means is it good enough to replace AoT but it'll tide you over for sure.

You should also look to check out Code Geass. It's one of those anime's that drop you straight into the action from the get go.

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
To be fair I wouldn't expect any boys to like Twilight, you're not exactly the target market.

True. I still haven't met a single straight bloke who likes it. There must be one though.

-

Totally irrelevant but I got my confirmation through that I am once again a Fellow of the Royal Society of Arts (I forgot to pay subs last year). So I am now Sploatee FRSA and all my opinions on art are very authoritative.

I hereby declare all anime banned.

You should also look to check out Code Geass. It's one of those anime's that drop you straight into the action from the get go.

If talking about it wasn't banned, I would say that the pace of AoT was the thing I most liked about it. I've never understood "slow" as a criticism of television when it uses the pace so effectively to build the tension. It's probably why I didn't take to GL. I'll check out Code Geass though, I'll probably end up watching the first episode of everything on Netflix looking for something as good as Attack on Titan.

I heard Kill la Kill was good, too.

banofypie

Banned
Was Nashandra the queen?

It seems that DS2 is just the story of some dude I don't give a shit about, while DS1 was about discovering how the world worked and what the undead cycle is/does.
DS1 actually has more to it than that. What makes it better than 2 is that the story is still interesting without it though.

Reknoc

Tru dat. It's a tad slow to begin with but it gets better over time. I hear a lot of people hating on it, but I don't get why.

The anime? I dunno, I dropped it as it was too slow and low quality. The source material however takes a massive nose dive in quality thanks to the sort of bullshit and repetitive arcs the author pulls.

edit: knights of sidonia interested me but it looked like an ugly cgi mess so i was just "i'll read the manga"

If talking about it wasn't banned, I would say that the pace of AoT was the thing I most liked about it. I've never understood "slow" as a criticism of television when it uses the pace so effectively to build the tension. It's probably why I didn't take to GL. I'll check out Code Geass though, I'll probably end up watching the first episode of everything on Netflix looking for something as good as Attack on Titan.

Kill la Kill is awesome

Lunch_Box_

Neo Member

I'm sorry, Sploatee has spoken we cannot speak of such... *waits for Sploatee to tab out of Gaf*

summer-of-4-ft-21.png

... Follow me

Yeah In all fairness I didn't find a problem with the pace. You get to around episode 5 and are dropped right in it
never mind being led to believe Eren dies so early on
. The Wire for example is probably one of my favourite TV shows and that's as slow as hell to get into but also works in it's favour so pace in a show doesn't affect my opinion on it. I guess some people want things to happen RIGHT NOWWW.

Nice, I'll check out Kill la Kill.

Top Bottom