• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bulletstorm |OT| Dick-Tits

Salsa

Tesseract said:
just finished it most of the way through. game is pretty shit, only for the electric leash and slide. and the humor, of course.

singularity is still the best fps since half-life 2.

If you started this game hoping to find something similar to singularity or fuckin HALF-LIFE 2 you are doing it wrong.

How can anyone even compare that ? shooting mechanics ? it's basically the only thing these 3 games have in common: there's shooting.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
ehhhh fuck me, why did I preorder this? Now it seems ( seems ) that it's rather unoptimized. People with 570s and stuff getting horrible fps.

If I want my games to run at 30fps I'll buy my games on my consoles.

Rich!

Going to buy it on Steam, but I need to know something before I do:

Does the PC version support the 360 controller? If it doesn't have gamepad support, then no sale unfortunately (I play PC games hooked up to my HDTV in my living room). There's no gamepad icon on the Steam product page, so I dunno.

edit - hm, it's a games for windows live game. That means it should have gamepad support, right? Not too happy about it being GFWL though - I hate that DRM.

big_z

Corky said:
ehhhh fuck me, why did I preorder this? Now it seems ( seems ) that it's rather unoptimized. People with 570s and stuff getting horrible fps.

If I want my games to run at 30fps I'll buy my games on my consoles.

that sucks. im running it on my 9800GTX with everything on max and it runs fine. the first few areas had some weird pauses when a new message would pop up on screen but things have been okay since. turning on AA kills the framerate a ton though.

Tunavi

Banned
SalsaShark said:
If you started this game hoping to find something similar to singularity or fuckin HALF-LIFE 2 you are doing it wrong.

How can anyone even compare that ? shooting mechanics ? it's basically the only thing these 3 games have in common: there's shooting.

Actually, I've found a lot of hints towards Half Life 2 in BulletStorm. The leash is like the gravity gun, the main assault rifles feel similar, enemies aren't very smart, battles with the helicopters, ect.
I kind of realized it when I leashed an explosive barrel from one side of the map, launched it toward a group of enemies, and shot it to explode. I thought, "Hey I've done this before..." Also when I used the lease to grab ammo for my gun from behind a corner.

Lunchbox

Banned
the snipers that avoid your leash/kicks, just shoot 1 or 2 bullets in their direction. that makes them stagger so you can grab them much easily

thats really useful in later levels of anarchy when the team challenge is on the snipers and no one can kick them for a bullet kick or slide

mxgt

Banned
This game is awesome. It's hilarious, mindless fun and oh so satisfying.

Only encountered a few minor annoyances so far..
It was pretty frustrating getting Waggleton (may god rest his soul) to shoot those flying things. They always shot me when I came out of cover and Waggleton kept turning around all the time when I was aiming at them. Bleh.

Also had a few bugs where I got stuck on top of things I'm supposed to vault over and had to reload the checkpoint as apparently walking off is simply too much of a task for this guy.

Other than that it's been a blast so far. Up to Act 5 now.

eek5

game is a lot more fun once i turned off the autoaim and autolock. i don't even know why those exist for a game like this. i like the variation from level to level
2-2 was def my favorite so far..

Corky

Would like to hear what kind of performance nvidia-users are seeing, specifically the gtx 460/470/480 owners.

Corky said:
Would like to hear what kind of performance nvidia-users are seeing, specifically the gtx 460/470/480 owners.
With my GTX580 I only get 30ish when any AA is on, 60 most of the time with occasional dips when any AA is on. The game doesn't even look that good >_<.

Im getting this weird diagonal line through my screen when looking at the sunglare........

Seems its only happening to 69xx cards?

Corky

darkpaladinmfc said:
With my GTX580 I only get 30ish when any AA is on, 60 most of the time with occasional dips when any AA is on. The game doesn't even look that good >_<.

bleeergh, not what I wanted to hear...I really hope this is straightened out but to be frank I've started to just think " fuck it " and just stick to pc-only games or something from now on ( yeah good luck with that right?).

mxgt

Banned
Corky said:

I'm using a gtx460 1gb which is over clocked and my fps ranges between 40-55. Can drop below 35 in cuts scenes though.

It's not amazingly optimised but it runs smoothly on a 460. At least it has for me.

That's with max settings and 4x AA.

bee

i saw this on nvidia 3d forums but it might work for people with performance problems, the profile in the nvidia drivers doesn't have the correct executable linked to it, run nvidiainspector goto the bulletstorm profile then add the properly named executable (ShippingPC-StormGame.exe) to the application list, worth a shot anyway

should be some beta drivers out in next few days to fix that though and also hopefully make the game a 3D vision ready title

nib95

Banned
darkpaladinmfc said:

With a GTX580? What the fudge....

Corky

nib95 said:

well most likely the game itself is to "blame", I cannot fathom that bulletstorm would in any way shape or form make a 580 break a sweat.

nib95 said:
Yes, 580. I just checked with FRAPS, I get 60fps with occasional drops to 50 with all High/No AA, and 45ish fps with some drops with 2x AA.

mxgt said:
I'm using a gtx460 1gb which is over clocked and my fps ranges between 40-55. Can drop below 35 in cuts scenes though.

It's not amazingly optimised but it runs smoothly on a 460. At least it has for me.

That's with max settings and 4x AA.
You get better fps than me :lol.

Dizzle24

Echoes modes is great. I was ranked 44 last night on Desert :)
I forgot Echoes had spoilers from the campaign and wound up playing one of the later levels and earned an acheivement lol.

Anarchy is fun, but needs more communication between players; too much "I'm gonna kill everyone myself" going on.

sarcoa

When I kill a newsrobot it gives me credit for a bottle, and a bottle gives me credit for killing a swarm.

Is this common?

Barrett2

Inside the disco nightclub, I can't get it to trigger the door opening so i can progress. I got through this area before, died, now it spawns me inside the night club with no enemies, but no path opening. If i reload the spawn, it's the same thing. Am i missing something? How do i get out of the nightclub?

EDIT: restarted chapter.... And promptly got stuck in cactus geometry. :/

Smokey

samus4ever said:
I really wish they released another part of the game for the demo. The demo doesn't do this game justice. It's the most balls to the wall game I've played in a long time. Set pieces after set pieces and the game runs smooth so far. I've only made it to the start of Act 2 but I'm loving it so far. I didn't expect to say that after playing the demo. This is what I want in a fps. COLOR. The first time I got out of the ship I looked around at the vista because it's so nice to look at.

I have great hope for Gears 3. The UE 3.5 is a marvel to look at. Anarchy mode runs smooth. Matchmaking is fast. I haven't tried any of the echos levels yet because I don't want to spoil the game.
Pretty much sums up my feeling of the game so far. I too got to act ii last night and had to tell myself to shut it down for the night as I felt the scoring of the game starting to hit that addiction crave of mine.

S1kkZ

lawblob said:
Inside the disco nightclub, I can't get it to trigger the door opening so i can progress. I got through this area before, died, now it spawns me inside the night club with no enemies, but no path opening. If i reload the spawn, it's the same thing. Am i missing something? How do i get out of the nightclub?

EDIT: restarted chapter.... And promptly got stuck in cactus geometry. :/
which version are you playing? finished the 360 version twice and never had issues.

Corky

MoeB said:
Adding this to my most overrated games of 2011 list.

oh my, just imagine how overrated it'll be when it's actually released and been out for more than 24h

george_us

Man I should be liking this A LOT more but I'm not feeling the awesome quite yet. Another poster commented on how serious the story was and I'd have to agree. I wish PCF just went the Duke Nukem route and made the most ridiculous story imaginable.

Gameplay wise it hasn't really clicked with me yet. This and Killzone 3 are making a strong case that I may just hate modern first-person shooters now and it has nothing to do with the games themselves.

MoeB said:
Adding this to my most overrated games of 2011 list.

it's getting 8s and people are saying it's a lot of fun, but not something super mind-blowingly incredible. Calling it "solid" is not overrating it at all.

ced

Didn't get stuck there but I think I'm going to have to restart 2-1 (360). I have a glitch where Ishi runs straight off some stairs and floats in the air, then gets stuck and doesn't trigger the next piece. It's right where the chick blows up a bridge. Restarting the checkpoint still results in Ishi air walking...

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Smision said:
it's getting 8s and people are saying it's a lot of fun, but not something super mind-blowingly incredible. Calling it "solid" is not overrating it at all.

i think an 8 is about right. its a game with great graphics, presentation, dialogue, set pieces, and combat (the skill shot system). but it also is crazy linear and heavily scripted to the point where it is obvious where 90% of ambushes will occur.

its a great new IP though, and hopefully we'll see more from it the improves upon what they introduced.

Either nobody bought the PC version, or nobody is playing Echoes mode on there because throughout my first run of these levels I'm getting ranked between 25-50 on most of them. Unless there is an issue with the ranking system, it's crazy to think I would be that high from barely trying.

Barrett2

ced said:
Didn't get stuck there but I think I'm going to have to restart 2-1 (360). I have a glitch where Ishi runs straight off some stairs and floats in the air, then gets stuck and doesn't trigger the next piece. It's right where the chick blows up a bridge. Restarting the checkpoint still results in Ishi air walking...

Yeah, I had to restart the mission as well. Luckily I wasn't too far.

Oh my god,
remote controlled dinosaurs
. GOTY.

zlatko

Banned
Can someone please give me confirmation on how the Gears 3 beta works with this game. I was reading there is a code inside the box that will give you access to it. Others are saying it just comes from having the disc.

Do you need the code and the disc, just the disc, or just the code ?

op_ivy

lawblob said:
Yeah, I had to restart the mission as well. Luckily I wasn't too far.

Oh my god,
remote controlled dinosaurs
. GOTY.

i dont know why, but those 3d posters were incredible! i spent several minutes looking at each, lol

op_ivy

zlatko said:
Can someone please give me confirmation on how the Gears 3 beta works with this game. I was reading there is a code inside the box that will give you access to it. Others are saying it just comes from having the disc.

Do you need the code and the disc, just the disc, or just the code ?

i loaded my code before loading the game for the first time. i see the gears 3 beta from the games title screen, but am not sure if that only occurred because of the code. the leaflet with the code says "This code also gives you access to... the Gears of War 3 Beta" so i imagine it is needed to play the beta

Has a few glitchy moments (PC version) of enemies floating through the air, and even I had an issue during scripted moment where a bridge was lowering and I went over it too soon or something and fell off the map. Also where you're controlling
the mecha-dino
and the prompt for destroying the gate never came up so I had to restart the checkpoint after I walked around that area for about 15 mins before realizing something broke.

But overall, they haven't been ruining the game for me and it's a blast. The constant adrenaline rushing moments and increasingly ridiculous storyline has been the main draw for me. I'm playing on Very Hard and honestly, it's a cakewalk and similar to Normal/Hard on any other FPS. Which is somewhat disappointing because unlike Gears or something similar, I won't have a reason to go through it again other then to collect Newsbots or the insect swarms.

-PXG-

I'm in Act 6, when
Seranno
joins your group.
His
commentary is a riot. I have to pause the game so I can finish laughing.

Kingpen said:
Simple question.

Can you play Echos mode and Anarchy mode offline (1p) ?
Echoes I know you can play offline. I haven't connected mine to XBL yet but I had the option to play Echoes last night. Not sure about Anarchy though -- I think that's online only.

zlatko

Banned
op_ivy said:
i loaded my code before loading the game for the first time. i see the gears 3 beta from the games title screen, but am not sure if that only occurred because of the code. the leaflet with the code says "This code also gives you access to... the Gears of War 3 Beta" so i imagine it is needed to play the beta

Okay so both. Thanks. :)

WrikaWrek

Banned
Couple of things:

- Love the black bars on my 4:3 monitor. I prefer to play like this and keep the 16:9 aspect for the game, than lose image. In Dead Space 2 that was a problem with some of the "cutscenes" as the characters would get cut off. This way, it seems like i'm watching a movie.

- Hate the size of the character. I hate feeling like a dwarf, it was terrible in Killzone and it isn't much better here. Other characters always look down on me. Come on people, what the fuck.

WrikaWrek said:
Couple of things:

- Love the black bars on my 4:3 monitor. I prefer to play like this and keep the 16:9 aspect for the game, than lose image. In Dead Space 2 that was a problem with some of the "cutscenes" as the characters would get cut off. This way, it seems like i'm watching a movie..
I HATE the black bars on my 16:10 monitor :(.

WrikaWrek

Banned
darkpaladinmfc said:
I HATE the black bars on my 16:10 monitor :(.

Well that i understand. Having black bars on a wide screen monitor sucks. But on mine, it's a bliss, i wish more games were like this.

Top Bottom