• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bulletstorm |OT| Dick-Tits

eshwaaz

EatChildren said:
Sound was also a bit iffy. I really loved the sound of everything, but the mixing was really low in some areas. I thought this when I played the demo on PS3, and again in the full game on PC, but the standard machinegun needs to be turned up a good few notches.
Yes, totally agree. I noted the same thing the first time I played the demo - the sound effect for the rifle is fine, but it's mixed way too low.

Like others, I'm very impressed with how great this game looks. Best-looking UE3 game in ages.

My only issue with this game: I'm not very good. I'm progressing just fine, but I can't figure out how to really earn the big scores. Anyone have any tips or suggestions?

Dabanton

eshwaaz said:
Yes, totally agree. I noted the same thing the first time I played the demo - the sound effect for the rifle is fine, but it's mixed way too low.

Like others, I'm very impressed with how great this game looks. Best-looking UE3 game in ages.

My only issue with this game: I'm not very good. I'm progressing just fine, but I can't figure out how to really earn the big scores. Anyone have any tips or suggestions?

This is a game that is very replayable so i wouldn't worry about massive scores on the first run.

But the charge shots are a good way to take out multiple targets. The charged flare shot for instance is always helpful for lighting up multiple targets.

big scores from that.

MMaRsu

Dabanton said:
This is a game that is very replayable so i wouldn't worry about massive scores on the first run.

But the charge shots are a good way to take out multiple targets. The charged flare shot for instance is always helpful for lighting up multiple targets.

big scores from that.

Can you replay the campaign with all the weapons you unlocked?

eshwaaz

Dabanton said:

big scores from that.
Ah, I've been neglecting the pistol for the most part. Thanks, I'll try that. I'm typically so low on points that I feel woefully ill-equipped to buy enough ammo/upgrades.

derFeef

Game is really fun, reminds me of the good old days. Weapons feel great. It´s also paced very well and hey, I like the story for what it is! I agree on the sound mixing, it is really off. The sound of companion punching an enemy is almost two times louder than your machinegun.

I am having some weird stuttering issues as well. The game runs mostly really smooth, but sometimes it drops down for no reason at all.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
So I guess I wasn't the only one who thought the mixing was shitty. Loved the game and played through it in a single sitting because I was so hooked, but man... I thought something was wrong with my setup.

Cdammen

I'm really enjoying the PC version. Maxed out everything except AA which is a 2x and the game is a beauty, not only technically but artwise. The locales are lush, varied and colorful. I'm about to go down into the subway :)

What programs are great to use for taking non-compressed (PNG, TIFF, PSD) screenshots with? The ol' Prnt-Screen doesn't work anymore, I just get a screenshot of my desktop.

Played through the first three chapters now, fucking awesome game :D Already looking forward to echoes mode. Happy with the pc version after a few tweaks, runs really well for me.

Cdammen said:
I'm really enjoying the PC version. Maxed out everything except AA which is a 2x and the game is a beauty, not only technically but artwise. The locales are lush, varied and colorful. I'm about to go down into the subway :)

What programs are great to use for taking non-compressed (PNG, TIFF, PSD) screenshots with? The ol' Prnt-Screen doesn't work anymore, I just get a screenshot of my desktop.

fraps

So after three and a half hours on Easy I'm halfway through Act 4. I'm assuming this will end up being a 5-6 hour game, which is pretty much the sweet spot because so far it's been moving swifltly and I'm really enjoying it.

AA kills my framerate, but with it turned off and using a joypad on my 40" HDTV at 60fps it still looks fucking nice. Whilst it may not be a powerhouse in terms of textures, the colour is striking, vibrant and beautiful in some spots. In motion it looks so damn good.

Very funny too. If Duke Nukem Forever is half as self-aware and well written as this game, I'd consider it a success. I love how it's totally dudebro and it doesn't give a fuck.

I expected it to be fun but it's constantly surprising me with how well designed it was. One of the sleeper hits of the year here, I think.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Air Zombie Meat said:
I love the charge shot for the sniper rifle. Theres something you've never seen before in a game. Batshit crazy, how did they even come up with that.

How did they come up with explosive rounds?

I haven't been using the Flail Launcher or the Cannon Ball thing much at all. Usually not fans of weapons like that in most games. Every once in a while I'll bust out the Flail Launcher and have some fun with it.

I think I'm part way through Chapter 4.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Game is awesome, wow

The game was what I've asked for from a shooter for ages; relentless, speedy gameplay with emphasis on player control over cinematic set pieces

Did you try Vanquish?

This has better "gunplay" (however you take that term), but that was pretty cool too. :)

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Air Zombie Meat said:
No, being able to float around the corpse of the guy you just shot and detonate him at your leisure.

Oh that. Yeah, that's cool.

I dug the sniper rifle. I used it a lot. I felt the collision detection was a bit iffy at times though. I also got a bit frustrated with the whole "lost target" thing, but I understand why it was there.

What I liked is that it was essentially the same gune from Singularity, only now I could take it everywhere.

RedStep

EatChildren said:
How did they come up with explosive rounds?

Did you forget the part where you can fly the victim around with your controller and then detonate them at will?

Edit: Beaten

Also, the Cannonballs leave me cold, unless I'm kicking the awesome bouncing charge shot into a group of dudes.

Amir0x

Banned
damn this game is cool. people shitting themselves over the dialogue were really missing the point

this is like the ultimate culmination of everything 80s machismo thought possible - relentless cheesin' off the charts. Every single moment is an attempt to one-up the last moment you thought was the world's all time cheesiest moment. We've got a character that tries to out robocop robocop. We've got a main character that is a mix of Snake Plissken, Rambo and fucking Eric Cartman.

And it's all integrated with a brilliant, fast-paced score focused gunplay that elevates the genre to something more than just pure bloodshed while simultaneously relishing in the gore. It's fucking sublime.

Danny Dudekisser

I'm seriously thinking about playing through the game again. It was just so relentlessly awesome. Sad that the perception of this game in a lot of places is pretty negative... people are like "oh, it's so immature" or they ramble on about some bullshit about COD having better gunplay, which isn't even a reasonable claim in the first place... but nah, fuck all that. This is exactly the kind of game the genre needs. I'm so sick of shitty games that are about scripted events or trying to have a storyline or some nonsense and forget all about the thing that matters: shooting people. If Duke Nukem comes anywhere near the sheer raditude of this game, the FPS genre will be revived for me.

Tokubetsu

Amir0x said:
damn this game is cool. people shitting themselves over the dialogue were really missing the point

this is like the ultimate culmination of everything 80s machismo thought possible - relentless cheesin' off the charts. Every single moment is an attempt to one-up the last moment you thought was the world's all time cheesiest moment. We've got a character that tries to out robocop robocop. We've got a main character that is a mix of Snake Plissken, Rambo and fucking Eric Cartman.

And it's all integrated with a brilliant, fast-paced score focused gunplay that elevates the genre to something more than just pure bloodshed while simultaneously relishing in the gore. It's fucking sublime.

"Speaking of dick-killing parties..." is the best line EVER.

Yeah, I'm glad that people seem to have come around to what the game does. Some of the kneejerk reactions to it in the demo thread were irritating, especially the "this game is for idiots" crowd. Made my asshole turn purple :p

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Air Zombie Meat said:
No, being able to control the corpse of the guy you just shot and detonate him at your leisure.

I have so many hilarious kills like that. Thumping a group into the air and luring one guy a huge distance near an explosive ball that launched and killing the whole group with it is great. I also love making them hit spikes that are really far away.

Air Zombie Meat said:
Yeah, I'm glad that people seem to have come around to what the game does. Some of the kneejerk reactions to it in the demo thread were irritating, especially the "this game is for idiots" crowd. Made my asshole turn purple :p

I almost want to revisit that thread now. So much ignorance, especially since people complained about the swearing and stuff that was only in the ending part telling you to preorder.

Papercuts said:
I have so many hilarious kills like that. Thumping a group into the air and luring one guy a huge distance near an explosive ball that launched and killing the whole group with it is great. I also love making them hit spikes that are really far away.

Haha, sounds awesome, I love it. Stuff like this is why I'm looking forward to echoes mode. Can't wait to start experimenting with all the crazy stuff you can pull off. This game is basically Dudebro May Cry ;)

derFeef

Thought I would use the boneduster more, but it really is my least favourite weapon at the moment. That game just keeps going, while maintaining a non-stressful pace. I love it.

Just finished the game. Somehow I missed 5 newsbots and 6 butterfly groups. Dammit. This game was beyond fun, and has possibly ruined all other shooters for me. Gonna do another run through on the hardest setting.

Danny Dudekisser

I just realized:

This game kind of reminds me of what a lot of FPSes try to be. Like, remember the intro to Crysis or the CG trailers for Bioshock where they show off the character doing some crazy shit... and then you get to the game, and you can't do any of that? Bulletstorm is basically those trailers, especially towards the end. There's just crazy shit going on everywhere, and you're this totally superpowered bro who can make it happen. That's what makes this game awesome.

eshwaaz

Chacranajxy said:
I just realized:

This game kind of reminds me of what a lot of FPSes try to be. Like, remember the intro to Crysis or the CG trailers for Bioshock where they show off the character doing some crazy shit... and then you get to the game, and you can't do any of that? Bulletstorm is basically those trailers, especially towards the end. There's just crazy shit going on everywhere, and you're this totally superpowered bro who can make it happen. That's what makes this game awesome.
Great point. So many modern FPSs are focused on set-piece after set-piece, but I frequently end up feeling like a passive observer with no control. In Bulletstorm, you get to actually participate.

I've also been very impressed by the variety in environments, and that the game has avoided a lot of tired cliches. Early on, when you go underground, I thought for sure they were going to throw a tired "scary mutant dweller" level at you with swarms of scampering enemies, but they don't.

Salsa

Gotta say though, the big fight against
the plant thing
was a highlight of the game for me, and i expected more, bigger and better. Too bad it's basically
the only true boss fight
we got.

SalsaShark said:
Gotta say though, the big fight against
the plant thing
was a highlight of the game for me, and i expected more, bigger and better. Too bad it's basically
the only true boss fight
we got.
I was hugely disappointed with that fight. I was playing on hard, and you don't even have to dodge anything, every time it grabs you, you're just told to PRESS E and you avoid taking any damage.
It's disappointing the only boss in the game sucks, I was expecting lots of bosses, especially since we were shown the plant boss in some early previews.

Salsa

darkpaladinmfc said:
I was hugely disappointed with that fight. I was playing on hard, and you don't even have to dodge anything, every time it grabs you, you're just told to PRESS E and you avoid taking any damage.
It's disappointing the only boss in the game sucks, I was expecting lots of bosses, especially since we were shown the plant boss in some early previews.

It was quite challenging in Very Hard.

Just finished, took me 5 hours. If it went on much longer I think it would've started to feel stretched out, so I'm glad it was so punchy and knew when to end.

Way, way better than I expected.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
between this game's slide and Vanquish's rocket booster, I'm in heaven. If I can't jump everywhere, sliding at high speeds more than makes up for it.

surprisingly, in the cutscenes I don't skip (I usually give them a couple of seconds to grab me), the dialogue has actually been pretty funny. Who'd have thunk it.

edit: wow, hive mind in full-effect

EXGN

PC version - is there any way to view the FPS? Trying to fiddle around with settings and maintain a speedy FPS and being able to view what it's running at would help.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
EXGN said:
PC version - is there any way to view the FPS? Trying to fiddle around with settings and maintain a speedy FPS and being able to view what it's running at would help.

Do you have FRAPs installed? It should do the trick.

Guess I'll have to get this now...I liked the demo, but I was still a bit unsure but all the praise in this thread has pushed me over the edge.

Top Bottom