• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bulletstorm |OT| Dick-Tits

big_z

Look at the url, lol. There's way more than that anyway. Drilldo is the most obvious one that comes to mind.

nah ejaculated is the most obvious. first time it popped up i thought it was pretty funny. if it's true and EA is patching the game for babies then that's bullshit. it's rated M for a reason, if youre 10 go play peggle.

I wish the hit detection in this was more accurate. I can crouch, jam my gun barrel into a dudes junk and fire and not get the nut shot. Next guy I go to shoot his legs to stumble him, hit his kneecap and bam nutshot.

So bloody inconsistent. Forget getting the blow the legs off challenge with the shotgun, it always counts as "topless". Urgh.

this is one of the things i hope they improve if there's a bulletstorm 2.

i also hope the environment is at least some what interactive and breakable. in this one nothing breaks.
kind of surprised there's no kill bonus for shooting someone through glass as well.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
the game opens really strongly. I like the integrated tutorial stuff. I just started Chapter 2, I'm hoping the game manages to keep this fresh throughout.

The slide is just fucking fantastic. Slowing down enemies on kick or slide? It feels amazing. The leash? Great decision.

It's so nice to play a game that feels like it understands that the problem with linear shooters nowadays isn't that they're linear, it's that they're unimaginative on a design level. Taking the RE4-esque "enemies slow down when near you to allow for a precision shot" and adapting it to the FPS environment without resorting to the exact same trick RE4 used -- coupled with a system that discourages constant streams of headshots, much like the parasites in RE4, I suppose -- implies a greater understanding of what it is to make a corridor shooter fun that most developers either don't have or struggle to express. Major props, here's hoping they keep this shit up.

G_Berry

Banned
This game is pretty fucking awesome. Giantbomb quicklook convinced me even though I didn't really like the demo.

Killzone 3 trade in, no regrets.

DangerStepp

Zeliard said:
Painkiller is fucking awesome. I wasn't surprised by either the visuals or the gameplay in Bulletstorm because Painkiller had already nailed both several years back.

A lot of people may not recall but in 2004, Painkiller was viewed by many as possibly the best-looking game out there, in a year that saw Half-Life 2, Far Cry and Doom 3 also come out (2004 was quite the year for PC tech).

I've heard nothing but good things about Painkiller but have never played it. It's always a hush-hush favorite amongst most. I might look into it.

RedStep

G_Berry said:
Gore and killing A'OK, sexual innuendo BANNED.

America, the land of the free.

Did you ignore the last series of posts and/or not read the article itself, which is very obviously a bad Onion-style parody?

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Tunavi said:
Okay thanks, Sorry for reporting an article from "sarcastic gamer."

Haha, I thought you knew and were playing dumb. You can see one of the most recent articles on sarcasticgamer is Tim Schafer stepping down from Double Fine.

Tunavi

Banned
Papercuts said:
Haha, I thought you knew and were playing dumb. You can see one of the most recent articles on sarcasticgamer is Tim Schafer stepping down from Double Fine.

Junior mistake lol

EDIT: "Two Guns, One Body." The article is pretty funny haha

Zeliard

Sinatar said:
PC GAF Take heed: Forcing AA through drivers as opposed to using the in game option gives you the AA without the crazy performance hit. Verified on ATI anyways, dunno about nVidia.

Also, here's a tip for those on older machines who still want to run this game mostly maxed out and get an FPS boost:

Go into StormEngine and set Ambient Occlusion to False. AO is obviously a very nice visual effect, so if you've got the frames, keep it on. Otherwise it's worth turning it off because you gain about 8-12 frames (at least I did) without a truly significant hit to visual quality.

If you do that it'll set post-processing to "medium" in the menu when you start it back up, but it's still only AO that was turned off. If you set post-proc to medium normally through the menu, it'll also turn off stuff like motion blur and depth of field, so it's better to go into the ini and change the specific settings you don't want (you can still easily turn off motion blur and such, but it looks great in this game).

Mdk7

Got to Act 3, chapter 2...
I'm SOOOOO loving it, really... it's such a blast to play, a brutally intense and fast experience... i adore the rhythm, it's like you're always running and never, ever stop.
And the whole kill with skill concept is just pure win.

GG People Can Fly/Epic!!!
Now i just hope it sells...

sam27368

Banned
Got this bad boy running at full spec, no frame drops with full AA baby!

Dual 570s, i7 oc'ed to 4ghz and 6gb ram.

shippingpc-stormgame20oxjq.png

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
the people who made this game are ridiculously talented. Act 1 was superb.

Bliddo

A lot of stuttering on my rig... disabling texture streaming makes it run like a dream, but if I die the game crashes :|
Hope they patch it asap... love the game so far though.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Finished! Yay! Loved it.

The game was what I've asked for from a shooter for ages; relentless, speedy gameplay with emphasis on player control over cinematic set pieces. I like that filmclips were used sparingly, and that the game kept a really high pace for most of the adventure. Unlike so many other shooters I never felt like I was doing long stretches of the same, boring gameplay over and over. Bulletstorm did exactly what all games should do; kept the variety coming thick and fast from start to finish. Whenever the game felt like it might drag they'd give you a new weapon, or a new enemy type, or a new environmnetal set piece to play around with for skill points. The level design too felt really varied and interesting, and I never felt like the game was trecking down 'samey' corridors. Another thing I loved was that the weapon variety was really fantastic. I never felt like one weapon was replacing another, both functionally the same but with different damage values. Every weapon had its own unique gameplay in both standard shots and charged, and that is how a shooter should be.

Best of all, it managed to nail the above while also combining it with great presenation and cinematic set pieces. Unlike other games where the cinematic set pieces are lengthy scripted events that you just sit back and watch, I always felt involved and part of the action. The whole game felt like one big seamless adventure where I was always in control.

Graphics were great. Typical UE3 issues here and there, and not a huge technical accomplishment, but the art itself was gorgeous and it was great to see a shooter with a lot of colour. Really, really nice environments, great enemy designs, and great special effects.

I also want to give a nod to the story. It wasn't anything special, but it was like a stupid meathead movie that was actually good. You know the kind of story; silly, over the top, barebones, but just enough to fuel the adventure. The characters were really great, and the immature, stupid dialogue was hillarious. Some of the one-liners, as stupid as they were, made me laugh out loud. The villain was great as well, as I really hated him.

However, despite loving it there were still a few issues. While the PC port is fine once you get it working, it is initially a fucking mess. Locking off ini tweaks and issues with remember graphics settings have no place in a game on PC. I dont care what PCF's reasoning is; this shit doesn't fly. If you're going to put it on PC, optimise it properly, iron out graphical bugs, and for the love of fuck let people tweak the settings. Apparently the many locked settings were because score data is stored in ini files. That's your fuck up PCF.

Sound was also a bit iffy. I really loved the sound of everything, but the mixing was really low in some areas. I thought this when I played the demo on PS3, and again in the full game on PC, but the standard machinegun needs to be turned up a good few notches.

Another issue I had was that the last act of the game is probably the weakest. Its not bad, but its surprisingly anti-climatic compared to how over the top the rest of the game is. The set pieces didn't feel as big and exciting. If there was one thing I could flat out hate it would be the boss 'fight'.
QTE boss fight? Fuck off. That shit in a game like this is absolutely terrible. I was so disappointed there was no huge climatic battle. Really, really unsatisfying.

Overall, Bulletstorm was two things; firstly, it was the shooter I've wanted for a long time. It was over the top, gameplay heavy, full of variety, action packed, beautiful, interesting, and just plain fun. The focus was not on trying to move the player with a god awful melodramatic story, or have them sit through shitty cutscenes, or boring stop-and-pop gunplay. It was about blowing shit up, killing dudes, scoring points, and moving fast fast fast. In all honesty, its probably the best evolution of the run-and-gun gameplay of old I've seen in years. This is how PC shooters used to be, and this is a modern rendition, and for that I FUCKING LOVED IT!

Secondly, it was a genuinely good game in its own right. Not just how it appealed to me, but in design. As said above, the way it constantly threw different things at you, mixed up the gameplay and set pieces, and introduced new concepts reminded me of all the great games. Resident Evil 4, Vanquish, Half-Life 2, Bayonetta, etc. Bayonetta shares the concept of variety and keeping the player interested with new ideas, and it really is the best way to make a videogame. Throw in tons of polish and fantastic presentation, and bam; you've got yourself great gaming stew.

Buy this game. The PC port has issues that I hope PCF patch quickly, but this game is worth your money. It is a utterly fantastic first person shooter, and harkens back to the glory days of PC FPS where the focus is on pure, unadulterated fun and gameplay. From start to finish I had a big smile on my face and not one got bored or tired.

BUY IT!!!

Zeliard

Rez said:

Oh you ain't seen nothing yet.

By the way. The Boneduster.

I think my favorite point in this game so far is when I got the Juggle skillshot - I hit the thumper and juggled an enemy several times with the Boneduster, and it was just a wondrous thing. Wasn't even going for a specific skillshot when I did it. I just felt like juggling a motherfucker with a four-barrel shotgun.

big_z

Rez said:

the game design sputters a bit towards the end. it becomes more about shooting hordes of enemies running at you than combo killing.

the main character is fucking ugly. his mouth looks like the joker....

Dabanton

Rez said:

Just playing through act 1 now and man it's awesome great fun checking up on my skillshot list.

The enemies are hilarious good to see a FPS that can revel in it own ridiculousness and actually be a refreshing blast to play.

Good to see other gaffers have got their head around the game not that it was that difficult. The bitching about the games tone in the demo thread was facepalm worthy.

I hate that you can't bind the delete key as anything in the controls because that's the key used to cancel changing a key binding.

That's my reload button in EVERY fps. :'(

Zeliard

Foliorum Viridum said:
I hate that you can't bind the delete key as anything in the controls because that's the key used to cancel changing a key binding.

That's my reload button in EVERY fps. :'(

Left-handed with right-handed keyboard? :p

You can customize binds further if you're willing to delve in the ini file. Again, another puzzling omission.

Nah, right handed, but I use the arrow keys for movement and yeah...

Which ini do I need to edit? Despite being a PC gamer for years I've never had to do this before for controls :)

Edit: Nevermind, I Googled it.

Divius

Just finished the game, it was great. Lots of fun situations, cool shootouts and variation in enemies. Too bad the final boss battle were
QTE's
< not sure if that counts as a spoiler.

I definitely going in for a second run and try to get more exotic skillshots.

Zeliard

Foliorum Viridum said:
Nah, right handed, but I use the arrow keys for movement and yeah...

Man, and they call us mouse inverters mutants.

Foliorum Viridum said:
Which ini do I need to edit? Despite being a PC gamer for years I've never had to do this before for controls :)

It's in the StormInput ini file, located in My Games\BulletStorm\StormGame\Config.

Since the config files are encrypted (thanks for that again PCF), you have to use an external ini editor (http://atomicgamer.com/files/90423/bulletstorm-ini-editor-v1-1-for-v1-0-7111-0).

Then use the editor to open up StormInput. The line you're looking for is:

Bindings=(Name="R",Command="BSBA_Reload")

Change R, or whatever you have, to Delete. And so on with other binds.

EatChildren said:
Finished! Yay! Loved it.

BUY IT!!!

Great write up!

Can't wait to receive my notebook to actually play it!

Speaking of which, I plan at running this at 1280x720. I have a Asus g73jw-nx1 with the following specs:

8gb DDR3
Win7 64bit
i7 740qm (1.73ghz)
GTX 460m 1.5gb vram

Any idea of what kind of performance I can expect? Hoping for solid 60, but if not, I can always jump into the .ini and lock it to 30fps. Yay UE3!

Zeliard said:
Man, and they call us mouse inverters mutants.
Heh. I used to get so much shit for playing like that on Counter-Strike, until I was the best player in my clan. ;)
Zeliard said:
It's in the StormInput ini file, located in My Games\BulletStorm\StormGame\Config.

Since the config files are encrypted (thanks for that again PCF), you have to use an external ini editor (http://atomicgamer.com/files/90423/bulletstorm-ini-editor-v1-1-for-v1-0-7111-0).

Then use the editor to open up StormInput. The line you're looking for is:

Bindings=(Name="R",Command="BSBA_Reload")

Change R, or whatever you have, to Delete. And so on with other binds.
Ah now I feel bad for asking and then going straight to Google. You did lay it out in a much easier way to understand though, so thanks! :) I won't be wrestling with my natural instinct to hit delete whenever I want to reaload now!

mrklaw

MrArseFace
AgentOtaku said:
Great write up!

Can't wait to receive my notebook to actually play it!

Speaking of which, I plan at running this at 1280x720. I have a Asus g73jw-nx1 with the following specs:

8gb DDR3
Win7 64bit
i7 740qm (1.73ghz)
GTX 460m 1.5gb vram

Any idea of what kind of performance I can expect? Hoping for solid 60, but if not, I can always jump into the .ini and lock it to 30fps. Yay UE3!

you should piss all over bulletstorm with that setup. I have a 6950 which is only a small step up from the 460, and I'm running at 1080p, all settings high, 4xAA and it isn't quite 60 in complex areas but at least 30. turn AA down and it'll be lovely and smooth

mrklaw said:
you should piss all over bulletstorm with that setup. I have a 6950 which is only a small step up from the 460, and I'm running at 1080p, all settings high, 4xAA and it isn't quite 60 in complex areas but at least 30. turn AA down and it'll be lovely and smooth

much obliged sir!

Cheech

EatChildren said:
Buy this game. The PC port has issues that I hope PCF patch quickly, but this game is worth your money. It is a utterly fantastic first person shooter, and harkens back to the glory days of PC FPS where the focus is on pure, unadulterated fun and gameplay. From start to finish I had a big smile on my face and not one got bored or tired.

BUY IT!!!

Yeah, see, I'm a "patch first, then buy" kind of a guy. After buying a trifecta of horrific, borderline unplayable PC games last fall (New Vegas, Force Unleashed 2, Dead Rising 2), I'm done paying Day 1 prices for Day 50% of a game.

Bulletstorm sounds fantastic, though. Looking forward to buying it down the road, when I can actually customize the controls how I want.

Tawpgun

I really hope this sells well. Imagine what they could do with the sequel.

Better Hit Detection. More online game modes. A skillshot for just about anything you can think of.

Those are the only problems I've had with it. And the anti-climactic last Act. The hit detection is kind of wonky sometimes, but it doesn't help that the PMC isn't all too accurate either.
There were also somethings I did to enemies that I feel should have been skillshots. The skillshot thing also applies to anarchy. Sometimes things you feel should be skillshots aren't. Not to mention sometimes team skill shots tend to glitch out and not give you them.

I'd also make player movement a lot more fluid and easier. The slide is amazing and all, but sometimes I had to mash A before I climbed over a ledge.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Face-Off said:
Bulletstorm not only looks better on PC, but the gameplay feels so much more enjoyable. While it's a colossal amount of fun on the consoles, first impressions of the PC version are best summed up with simply one word: wow. What is immediately clear is that the interface with the player feels much more refined. Of course, this is a PC first-person shooter, so there is an immediate advantage, too: it's difficult to find a game where the traditional mouse and keys combo doesn't significantly outperform the consoles' joypads, and Bulletstorm is no exception.

But it goes deeper than that. Play the PC game with an Xbox 360 joypad and Bulletstorm still feels so much more responsive. If there is one complaint with the game on console, it's that the analogue sticks feel very, very light and there's no real sense of inertia - but there definitely is input latency. Take that same control system onto PC where you can run the game at 60Hz and the feedback you get back from the pad feels simply sublime.
I agree 100% here. The game felt floaty as shit on PS3 and playing on PC with a locked 60 fps and a pad felt really tight.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Bliddo said:
A lot of stuttering on my rig... disabling texture streaming makes it run like a dream, but if I die the game crashes :|
Hope they patch it asap... love the game so far though.
How did you go about disabling it? Which file contains this setting?

kaskade

So I'm on chapter 2 right now, somewhere in the middle. The game is damn fun. It actually feels different from all the FPS that have been coming out. I can't seem to shoot a guy in the ass with the carbine though.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
kaskade said:
So I'm on chapter 2 right now, somewhere in the middle. The game is damn fun. It actually feels different from all the FPS that have been coming out. I can't seem to shoot a guy in the ass with the carbine though.
Easiest way is to whip them up in the air, run around to their side, and blast away.

Chapter 4 act 1 or 2 here. Still love the game. Is it just me or was promotion for this a bit lacking? They have a hit on their hands if people could just hear about it. Most of my gamer friends are like "Bullet-what?"

The set pieces are absolutely amazing. Huge grins from me left and right -
the grinder running loose, the huge robot dinosaur!!, just amazing stuff left and right.

Bravo to the game creators.

EDIT: Online swarm mode was a little fun, but I can't see myself going back to it for more than a few times. Pacing is too slow.

grate

Beat this last night. Enjoyed it all the way through. One of the few games that I have beaten recently within twenty four hours of purchase.

Weapons were fun, and the slide/kick/leash mechanics kept the action going. The pace of the game felt 'just right'. I can say I was honestly surprised that the story wasn't complete shit, and managed to keep me pretty interested.

Played a couple rounds of the Anarchy multi, and it looks like it could be fun with a solid group of players. Definitely seems that it would benefit more from a group of people who are familiar with the different skill shots, being thrown in with a bunch of people who wasted skill shot opportunities kinda defeated the purpose of the mode as it prevented progress.

Overall this game really surprised me.

Top Bottom