• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Burger King wants McDonald's to collaborate on the 'McWhopper'

Status
Not open for further replies.
IGN's sloppy but humorous attempt at doing the McWhopper themselves

No love for the Wendy's Triple Baconator?

This burger says 'Murica all over it.

500x500-Baconator3-300x3001.png

Good God!

I need that in my life.

Valravn

Sounds like a really bad rapper name. MC Whopper.

Come McDonalds, let's combine our pink slime to create the ultimate finely textured beef!
(Yeah i know both McDonalds and Burger King stopped using it.)

McDonalds scared that in a direct comparison they'd loose! it was a very catty passive aggressive way of saying no this is trivial lets just be grown up and play nice

Light hearted promotions as this was aimed at are far better than condescending CEO's turning up at food banks for PR of helping the people, which you'd get the impression the McD's CEO was hinting at, big showy PR stunts rather than something fun and less condescending

I used to work at McDonalds, they hate their staff a little less than they hate their cattle and by cattle i mean the customers, i heard many a manager refer to customers with derogatory comments, cattle was the nicest - but with a hint of them deserving slaughter

CTLance

Impressive marketing scheme by BK.
That's a pretty painful jab at McD they took there. McDonalds had no possible intent to cooperate, even if only for a day and at only one location. Billion dollar companies in direct competition just don't do that kinda shit unless the situation is dire. Since BK went at it publicly they were forced to post an equally public reply, and in the process came across as kind of dickish. So not only did this give BK a nice boost, it also besmirched the McD brand.

And I wish they could have cooperated. I mean, it would have been a nice symbolic gesture. Only one day, one location. Neat.

Chuckie

Like there is a real difference between a McDonalds hamburger and a Burger King hamburger.

If one has taste buds then yeah there is a pretty big difference. Seriously... if you cannot taste the difference...there might be something wrong :p

Personally I love the Angry Whopper!

If one has taste buds then yeah there is a pretty big difference. Seriously... if you cannot taste the difference...there might be something wrong :p

Personally I love the Angry Whopper!

Give me a Big Mac any day over that disgusting, chemically tasting "flame broiling" treatment BK gives to their burgers. Tastes like my uncle unloaded a bottle of lighter fluid on the grill and then threw the burgers on right after.

Damn, I've never eaten at a Wendy's before.

They should open up a few stores in the UK.

They did!, and certainly in Leeds it failed and closed down, but being set up 400 yards from a mcDonalds and being more expensive won't have done anything

They also had atleast one in Belfast too

i loved wendy's in the UK

wait found an article HERE looks like they pulled out in 2000, you had your chance to be a patron and blew it!

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Whopper stomps on Big Mac in terms of ingredients. Especially the produce. The taste is obviously subjective.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
When I visited America for the first time this year (Florida) seen that and thought no square burgers no no
Wendy's is the best of the three. Who cares if it's square? I just wish Wendy's wasn't the furthest travel distance for me. I'd have to drive a whole extra half of a mile there and back every time. But it'd be worth it.

Would eat.

I like McDonald's response of "Hey guys, we're all in on supporting World Peace Day, but how about you stop using it as an opportunity for marketing?"

The BBQ place (Sugarfire) near my house did this for today's special of the day, even called it the McWhopper:

$11 + a side. Pricey but today they do have brisket pot pie and roasted squash as their special sides...

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
I don't know if I'm being too cynical or GAF is being too naive.

I see this as almost a pure marketing ploy by BK and yet lots of people here want to be swept up in the cuteness of the pitch and are actually bothered by McDonalds for their response since it's not being fun, it's ignoring a chance at charity, and I guess because they like Whoppers better. I mean, obviously everything worked out in the way BK wanted without even having to do the event nor donate a single dollar and they get their name attached to McDonalds and get everyone talking about the story and thinking about their food, and all they had to do was run 1 ad in 2 different papers.

The McDonald CEO's response of how they should be working together to do bigger things and comparing two rival fast food chains to actual war, is actually on point (even if it's more of him trying to dig at his rivals and he has no intention of actually working together). It trivializes what actual war is for a marketing stunt and one location in one city for one day is a joke of an effort for companies this size.

I completely agree, you're not the only one :)

AlphaDump

Gold Member
If anything this is bk trying to pretend like they are on the same level. The intent was marketing, not integrity.

Especially because macdonalds is having an identity crises and took some loses.

What better way to recap marketshare then to undermine your own product and make reference to the lesser competition as though they were now equal.

antonz

Burger King played it well. Mcdonalds could have come out of it better than they did though if they had thought through their reply a bit better. After their reply they got bombarded on social media for being dicks in their response.

Trying to Zing burger king on the fast food war thing was trying too hard. Neither company refers to the competitive nature of the industry as a war outsiders do

.hacked

JeioPXX.jpg

Tried it not bad but don't think I will ever do this again. All you really need is a Whopper and McD fries.

Q

Queen of Hunting

Unconfirmed Member
Amazing how many people dont know what the big king is.

Omega

Banned
I'm conflicted.

McDonalds are real assholes here, but The King walked out with Floyd Mayweather a couple of months ago.

BibiMaghoo

Wow that is a some shrouded pissy response from Maccies. One pop-up store is lame though.

The BBQ place (Sugarfire) near my house did this for today's special of the day, even called it the McWhopper:

$11 + a side. Pricey but today they do have brisket pot pie and roasted squash as their special sides...

How do you even eat this? You can't take a bite from the whole thing unless you squash the fuck out of it, maybe.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Smh Burger King actually offered to sully their amazing burger with the McD riff raff. That their most humble offer was met with such a contemptuous reply, oooh it burns my gut.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
McDonalds scared that in a direct comparison they'd loose! it was a very catty passive aggressive way of saying no this is trivial lets just be grown up and play nice

Light hearted promotions as this was aimed at are far better than condescending CEO's turning up at food banks for PR of helping the people, which you'd get the impression the McD's CEO was hinting at, big showy PR stunts rather than something fun and less condescending

I used to work at McDonalds, they hate their staff a little less than they hate their cattle and by cattle i mean the customers, i heard many a manager refer to customers with derogatory comments, cattle was the nicest - but with a hint of them deserving slaughter

LOL yeah they're scared for sure, you've got it figured out.

Apt101

Eh, whatever. Both of these chains have the money and resources to put the popular fast casual places out of business by merely upping their game (product, employee training, staffing levels, and environment). For some bizarre reason they're not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom