• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Burger King wants McDonald's to collaborate on the 'McWhopper'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sanjuro

Oh man stop, I'm talking about the Big Mac vs The Whopper and you pull out a comparison about a Nokia Lumiwhat playing iOS - I know this is neogaf but in the wider world only a very small majority would understand that reference.

Okay. In the name of world peace, you just will simply agree with me. You will admit that McDonald's doesn't look that bad here, and I will agree that for some reason these sandwiches cost $1.

Together we can make a difference!

Man, PR stunt or not, McDonalds looks like the ass in this. They could have responded so much better without saying "Yes".

Win for Burger King just by default of that response.

Shitty response by McDonald's. Sounded like arrogant bastards.

The whopper is superior anyway, it would only got worse with Big Mac parts.

Okay. In the name of world peace, you just will simply agree with me. You will admit that McDonald's doesn't look that bad here, and I will agree that for some reason these sandwiches cost $1.

Together we can make a difference!

Nope, I'm not rolling over. I am right, you are wrong.

Fusebox

Banned
I love Big Macs, I hate Whoppers. Bacon Deluxe is their only good burger.

Still, I'd buy a collaboration burger in a clogged heartbeat.

And it was kind of a shitty response by Ronald.

maliedoo

What's stopping you from going to McDonald's, getting a BigMac, then going to Burger King and getting a Whopper, and putting one together yourself?

Rupe

Neo Member
Ok guys where the hell are you getting your Big Macs? Because here they're delicious.

Whoppers are good, I just don't get the hate for Mc in this thread.

SoulUnison

Banned
I love the Whopper, never understood the love for the Big Mac

They're both fast food calorie bombs, though, so I try to only stop by maybe a handful of times a year.

Fusebox

Banned
Ok guys where the hell are you getting your Big Macs? Because here they're delicious.

Probably America. The buns and cheese are pretty bad compared to what they use in other countries.

Although I'm surprised at the Maccas hate, I prefer Maccas. Burger Kings in Australia are generally dirtier and filled with vagrants.

lightus

I still don't get where this "proceeds are going to charity" thing is coming from.

cmpXGHu.jpg

Burger King says right there they want to give them out for free, where would the proceeds be coming from? Are they accepting donations at the store?

The dream that I have dreamed of throughout all of my life? Is it happening? Can it be true! Will this be the moment of truth, the stars are aligning and I am ready for this glorious creation! Bring on the McWhopper!!

Cuburt

I don't know if I'm being too cynical or GAF is being too naive.

I see this as almost a pure marketing ploy by BK and yet lots of people here want to be swept up in the cuteness of the pitch and are actually bothered by McDonalds for their response since it's not being fun, it's ignoring a chance at charity, and I guess because they like Whoppers better. I mean, obviously everything worked out in the way BK wanted without even having to do the event nor donate a single dollar and they get their name attached to McDonalds and get everyone talking about the story and thinking about their food, and all they had to do was run 1 ad in 2 different papers.

The McDonald CEO's response of how they should be working together to do bigger things and comparing two rival fast food chains to actual war, is actually on point (even if it's more of him trying to dig at his rivals and he has no intention of actually working together). It trivializes what actual war is for a marketing stunt and one location in one city for one day is a joke of an effort for companies this size.

Just ignoring the fastfood wars comments in this thread and the on-going competition about who is "winning" and who looks better, both sides looks so disingenuous in this situation that I can't believe people are taking it serious.

I've never even eaten either a Big Mac or a Whopper.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
They're just trying to change the future. But you can't change it. It's already been prophesied. No matter how hard they try to stop it, Taco Bell is going to win the upcoming Franchise Wars. All this is going to do is delay it. Surely they've seen the Terminator movies.

Big Macs are fucking garbage anyway. Whopper with cheese all day. Or even better, Angry Whopper. Or even better, the sourdough Whopper they sold a few years back for like a month.

Fusebox

Banned
I don't get people who prefer Whoppers. Too much bread without burger underneath it and loaded with raw onions that make you stink.

I don't get people who prefer Whoppers. Too much bread without burger underneath it and loaded with raw onions that make you stink.

Double Whopper, no onions.

After reading the OP I like Burger King more and McDonald's less.

BK: Hey lets do something cool together!

MD: Nah, we're good buddy (pats BK's head). Let's just donate to charity as we usually do anyway.

Exactly. And if you visit the website BK put together on the matter, they state it's not just about raising money, but about raising awareness for this Peace Day thingy.

Stay shitty, McDonald's.

rjinaz

After reading the OP I like Burger King more and McDonald's less.

BK: Hey lets do something cool together!

MD: Nah, we're good buddy (pats BK's head). Let's just donate to charity as we usually do anyway.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
It has to be done in a McDonald's though. As a form of protest.
On second thought I'm just going to go to Wendy's and spend four times as much and get a Baconator. Oh my god it's so good. If our Wendy's wasn't so far away if go there instead of Five Guys. Both are comparable in price though. Wendy's might be a bit cheaper. Though I can get barbecue sauce on my burger and fries at Five Guys. Fuck ketchup.

Also what is it with Wendy's using mayonnaise instead of ketchup and mustard? That's so weird. And Burger King doesn't even use mustard.

Also fuck pickles.

New002

It WAS a passive aggressive response ... Because this was lose lose for McDonalds.

Can't put the market follower on the same pedastal as the market leader.

Asking publically for something like this is super unprofessional. McDonalds does not exist to be a cog in burger kings marketing.

With that said the whole idea is genius on burger kings part. McDonalds ends up looking like a sour puss or McDonalds acknowledges whopper is equal to big mac. win win for burger king.

Lol. Well played BK. I love it.

Krejlooc

Banned
This really was a genius marketing move by Burger King. Whoever thought this up deserves a raise.

As I said before, they had to know McDonald's would decline. The market leader never acknowledges the competition. At best, all it can do is put their competition on equal footing with them. It makes Burger King seem like McDonald's equal. McDonald's had nothing to gain from joining with them. And thus, Burger King, at no risk, can walk away looking like they at least tried for diplomacy -- with the added benefit of being able to say "but it was for PEACE!" -- while McDonald's looks petty in their decline of the offer.

More to that, the actual burger they proposed is hilarious. Whopper on bottom, Big Mac on top? This gives them an actual product to demonstrate just how much bigger their sandwich is than McDonald's. Look at this:

frN1uqt.jpg

The burger is a trapezoid. The Big Mac bun doesn't even come close to covering the Whopper patty.

Really, really smart move by Burger King to put this "proposal" out in full page ads, right in the public eye. I bet McDonald's is furious.

Oh McD's. Why do you pretend to be so good after we all see the downhill decline you are on. It's like a 30 year old going to a high school kegger, we know you are old and shouldnt be here and like you are, re-evaluate your life. At least this would have been somewhat interesting if something like this would have happened.

Still playing second fiddle to Wendy's and their burgers though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom