• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Burnout 3 - Gamespot review

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Yusaku said:
If the BB adapter was bundled with every GC out there you still wouldn't see any 3rd party online games without Nintendo at least making some token guesture of online support in their own games.

Why not? The only reason I can think of for weak third party online support is the lack of GC owners with modems.

gofreak said:
Why not? The only reason I can think of for weak third party online support is the lack of GC owners with modems.

That and the related fact that there aren't any games for the damned thing...like two...with a couple more LAN-only games that use it. Simple fact is, Nintendo never pushed it nor supported it themselves, so if they're not making an effort, why should anyone else? First parties are supposed to 'lead the way' for their third parties to follow and Nintendo hasn't bothered with online one bit. Nintendo: Connectivity >>>>>Online.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
MightyHedgehog said:
That and the related fact that there aren't any games for the damned thing...like two...with a couple more LAN-only games that use it. Simple fact is, Nintendo never pushed it nor supported it themselves, so if they're not making an effort, why should anyone else? First parties are supposed to 'lead the way' for their third parties to follow and Nintendo hasn't bothered with online one bit. Nintendo: Connectivity >>>>>Online.

I don't understand the argument that Nintendo or any first party has to make online games for others to also do so on their machine, assuming that the modems are there. I don't think EA needs anyone to hold their hand, they're big boys themselves.

There is a problem, and that is the lack of owners with modems. But if every GC owner had a modem, Nintendo not making online games shouldn't stand in the way of others doing so.

gofreak said:
I don't understand the argument that Nintendo or any first party has to make online games for others to also do so on their machine, assuming that the modems are there. I don't think EA needs anyone to hold their hand, they're big boys themselves.

Ideally, I think that would be reasonable to assume. IMHO, the fact is, peripherals that aren't, at least, given a push-start by the company who provides it (ie system-maker) have less than zero chance of being successful and send a clear message that says, 'Hey, we really don't believe in our product, but we'll let you guys support it! That's it...buy those adaptors...cha-ching...suckers!!11' How many first party peripherals have been successful without the software support of the manufacturer? I mean, Nintendo won't even release one fucking online title themselves...

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
MightyHedgehog said:
IMHO, the fact is, peripherals that aren't, at least, given a push-start by the company who provides it (ie system-maker) have less than zero chance of being successful and send a clear message that says, 'Hey, we really don't believe in our product, but we'll let you guys support it! That's it...buy those adaptors...cha-ching...suckers!!11' How many first party peripherals have been successful without the software support of the manufacturer?

I think this is true of peripherals that are unique to one system. Like the N64's ram expansion pack, or the 32x or whatever - they need to be pushed by their makers. But online isn't unique to Nintendo. Publishers are already doing it on other systems, with relatively little technical effort they could do it on GC too. The only thing making them question the viability of doing that is the online audience on GC (or lack of it). All imo.

Yeah, but the difference here is that Sony and MS have pushed online and their related peripherals HARD, with real marketing and actual software that is going stronger all the time. Nintendo hasn't done shit with theirs. Sega's actually done almost all the work for them...if only to ensure that their PSO titles don't completely bomb. If Sega had released the adaptor and Nintendo has simply put a Seal of Approval emblem on it, this would be a different story. It would be rather like a third-party light gun, wheel, or dance pad that usually only that software maker supports.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
MightyHedgehog said:
Yeah, but the difference here is that Sony and MS have pushed online and their related peripherals HARD, with real marketing and actual software that is going stronger all the time. Nintendo hasn't done shit with theirs.

I completely agree - the problem is that the modem hasn't been pushed, and isn't in the hands of enough users. If it were, I don't see any reason why third parties wouldn't bring online games to GC - Nintendo not making games themselves, imo, is not a reason. It is a contributing factor to the main reason (not enough users), but they could have avoided that by just putting a modem in every GC to begin with. Nintendo making online games would help the third party situation, but at the end of the day, they (the third parties) would only care about this factor in so far as it would be driving the modems into homes. If the modems were already there, I doubt they'd care what Nintendo were doing.

Hmmm...well, they could bundle the adaptor with the system... Too little, too late, though. Still, Sony managed to sell almost 2-3 million of their adaptors before it was sold in bundles. The reason, as I have stated previously, is that Sony pushed the peripheral with games (produced by them and others) and marketed it. If it weren't for Sony's own SOCOM and SOCOM II, it would not have done nearly as well.

That's really what I'm talking about...the first party has to lead the way with their peripherals by providing people with a reason to use it...then 3rd parties can see the real worth in spending more money to support it as well. Then there are the compensations by MS and Sony for producing online-enabled titles. I just can't see how this is not the root of the problem (lack of marketing/software for the hardware). Lack of hardware units being out there is directly tied to the lack of software/marketing support by the maker. Bundling alone isn't going do it, IMO. Certainly, I don't think it's the whole, 'If you build it, they will come' thing...you have to build it, then support, and then, maybe, they'll come.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Is there a reason why you feel the need to advise multiplatform gamers which version they should buy?
Why almost everyone else does it... It's a weird combination of insecurity, immaturity and pride.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
DCharlie said:
Because it saves us from reading Gamespot ?
You need Gamespot to tell you which version to buy?

Socreges said:
Because each time they do so, you die a little inside.
What do you think will kill me faster then, Soc? Either my lifeforce is too strong or GAF just isn't potent enough. It's just taking too long and I'm sure you hear that, eh?

Acrylamid

MightyHedgehog said:
How many first party peripherals have been successful without the software support of the manufacturer?
Third parties supported the N64 controller pak although very few first party games did.

gofreak said:
He should come out and say it: there aren't enough modems out there. There is online with GC, just probably not enough people to play with it (though I would have thought a game with the calibre of Burnout3 would sell anyway with a single-player and offline multiplayer component). It's a pity EA/Criterion don't have more faith in their own product to drive modem sales...;)

Damn, I wish I had that baby in a purple T-shirt Damage Control pic right about now...

manngc

Banjo Tango,
No, I don't think it supports system link, which for me is a MAJOR downer. I was anticipating the game for that...but without it...I'm gonna wait until my brother and I can get on Live at the same time...(my X-box is banned and he doesn't have Live... :p)

Mann

Justin

I work at GameStop and one of my co-workers just called to say we got 8 copies for PS2 and 30 for Xbox.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Oh my, just realize Criterion love PSP. Burnout 3+ will be PSP's killer app
Hell yeah. Those guys are f'n wizards when it comes to technology, and as far as the gameplay quality goes their every next game jumps ahead in leaps and bounds. I can't wait to see whatever they come up with on the PSP.

I think it would be safe to assume that if EA or Nintendo had advertised online capabilites being in a game, people would purchase the modem and the game to use the feature. So question that comes up is, would Nintendo help market the online feature if EA were to release a game with it included.

I think what is being considered is the fact that, most believe that GC owners only purchase Nintendo games and third party exclusives. So would it be profitable to spend the extra cash to implement it.

Lazy8s

The ghost of Dreamcast past
For those considering the game, it's both helpful and interesting to know the differences between the versions.

MightyHedgehog said:
Hmmm...well, they could bundle the adaptor with the system... Too little, too late, though. Still, Sony managed to sell almost 2-3 million of their adaptors before it was sold in bundles. The reason, as I have stated previously, is that Sony pushed the peripheral with games (produced by them and others) and marketed it. If it weren't for Sony's own SOCOM and SOCOM II, it would not have done nearly as well.

That's really what I'm talking about...the first party has to lead the way with their peripherals by providing people with a reason to use it...then 3rd parties can see the real worth in spending more money to support it as well. Then there are the compensations by MS and Sony for producing online-enabled titles. I just can't see how this is not the root of the problem (lack of marketing/software for the hardware). Lack of hardware units being out there is directly tied to the lack of software/marketing support by the maker. Bundling alone isn't going do it, IMO. Certainly, I don't think it's the whole, 'If you build it, they will come' thing...you have to build it, then support, and then, maybe, they'll come.

The PS2 is a third party moster so I would have to disagree, EA, Activsion, UbiSoft, Konami or any other major third party publisher could have released a game that could have sold network adapters.

OG_Original Gamer said:
The PS2 is a third party moster so I would have to disagree, EA, Activsion, UbiSoft, Konami or any other major third party publisher could have released a game that could have sold network adapters.

It's true that PS2 is, like PS1, a third-party reliant console (as all consoles should be, ideally), but the biggest sellers that pushed the net adaptor for Sony were their own SOCOM titles, IMHO. Sure there are other titles helping drive those peripheral sales, but the fact that Sony massively advertised it with their own titles (and other 3rd party titles) gave it a reason for being bought. Nintendo's done no such thing. I can't even recall anything advertising it outside of PSO-related ads. The best sellers for Sony's peripheral are Sony and EA titles. EA is going to drive sales for online equipment with their titles, no doubt. I'm certain that their XBL support is helping drive sales of the service as well.

If Nintendo actually put forth some money and effort, they, too, could sell their adaptor in decent quantities. Hell, just considering the rabid Nintendo fanbase, an online-enabled Pokemon, Mario Kart, or Super Smash Bros. title would have sold the units in massive numbers easily. It's just that Nintendo is stupid, IMHO. Why did they even bother announcing the GC GameSpy-browser if they weren't going to use it? Why not have a sponsor, like Blizzard has with AT&T and Battle.net? There are so many options and they didn't bother with any of them.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
MightyHedgehog said:
Why did they even bother announcing the GC GameSpy-browser if they weren't going to use it? Why not have a sponsor, like Blizzard has with AT&T and Battle.net? There are so many options and they didn't bother with any of them.

I think they did that more for third parties than themselves.

BTW, earlier, I wasn't talking about Nintendo bundling the modem with games NOW, or with GC now..I meant this wouldn't be a problem if they had bundled it with every GC from the start. But they didn't, so then other factors like their own support of the modem come into play. My only point was that if every GC had a modem, Nintendo's own support of it wouldn't be needed to get third parties to support it. I'm sure multiplatform online games like Burnout 3 would have been on GC regardless of whether Nintendo had online games out or not.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
"You need Gamespot to tell you which version to buy?"

Not necessarily, but it's nice to get some feed back from people who have played the game and reviewed it to help with the decission. I thought that was the point of a games site, perhaps i'm missing something?

"Kaching has collected too many 1-ups, the fanboys' efforts are in vain. "

???

Acrylamid said:
Third parties supported the N64 controller pak although very few first party games did.

Yeah, but Nintendo still supported it initially and sporadically throughout the N64's lifetime. I think Nintendo wanted people to buy the games, using the built-in memory saves, instead of renting them and using an outside storage device. 3rd parties supported it so strongly because it was cheaper than including a battery save in the cart.

...back on topic...

Burnout 3 deserves its high scores.

Top Bottom