• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Buying DLC for a Gamepass game

Do you buy dlcs for gamepass games?

• Total voters

ChoosableOne

ChoosableAll
I've been playing Monster Hunter Rise on gamepass recently, and I really love it. I want to get the Sunbreak DLC, but I feel hesitant because it makes me feel a bit foolish. Why would I buy DLC for a game I don't own, right? However, if I did own the game and the DLC, I probably wouldn't play it again after finishing it, so buying the DLC on gamepass doesn't seem as pointless anymore.

Do you buy DLCs for gamepass games?

feynoob

Banned
Not worth it. Unless, its a MS game. You only have 1 year with that game. Better wait and buy full game with the extra content for cheap. All Xbox games are cheap from key seller websites.

Fbh

Gold Member
Depends on the type of game and the price, but sure.
I've bought DLC for a Ps+ game once or twice. But it has mostly been for multiplayer and/or coop games which I know I likely won't go back to once I'm done with them.
If it's like $10-$15 and it's giving 10 extra hours of fun with a couple of friends I feel like I already got my money's worth

feynoob

Banned
No GamePass no buy
Overused joke
James Sawyer Ford

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
If you really enjoy the game, you're better off buying the game + DLC package, so you always have access to both.

I would if it's a game you really like. For example, Lies of P has an upcoming expansion.
If I remember right, all game on GamePass has an option to buy and at a discount.

Edit: GamePass is a great option because it allows me to fully play a game to decide if I want to buy it. There's been quite a few that I've bought----mostly games like HollowKnight, Vampire Survivor and the like

Last edited:

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
I generally don’t buy DLCs regardless, but I especially don’t buy them if I don’t actually own the base game.

I do actually. If I know I’ll play the game soon and the DLC is out than yeah I’ll buy it to support the developer. I think thr most recent was for Vampire Survivor. Really enjoyable game and I’m usual not big on the pixilated look. 👍🏻

They keep it in the circle. You need ME to reveal the hidden secrets. But as woke rises, the secret fades to the background, for it not be found by the eyes of the peasants.
Would this be appropriate reading into learning the secrets of the world Master Feynoob? I want to graduate from peasant to acolyte.

hx9iKZ5.jpeg

Last edited:

clarky

Gold Member
No. Kinda foolish to spend money on a game you dont actually own.
Why? Base game on gamepass, rinse said game, dlc comes out rinse dlc also. Fraction of the cost of the full game.

Can always buy the game if you unsub or said game leaves the service.

On the flip side ive bought dlc for games that I've later traded in because I was done with it. No difference.

Last edited:

Bodom78

I bought the Callisto Protocol DLC last week as it was on sale as I enjoyed the game enough.

A game I probably would never have played if it did not come to Gamepass.

salva

I hardly buy any DLC, probably only a handful of times ever in my life.
My theory is if you like the game and it's on gamepass and you wanna play the DLC.. buy it and play it. If the game ever leaves gamepass and you still want to play it or own it, buy the full game (and it'll likely be dirt cheap).
That was my self justification when I got the Starfield premium upgrade.

Dural

I bought the ultimate upgrade for FH4 and FH5 then bought the base game when they were on sale. I knew I'd want the car packs and expansions so it made sense and I could buy the base game for cheap after a year or two.

danklord

Gold Member
I bought the Hot Wheels DLC for Forza Horizon 5. It felt worth it since it was more enjoyable than the main game for me, but it felt dirty—gross. I don't want to do it again.

Nydius

I bought the Hot Wheels DLC for Forza Horizon 5. It felt worth it since it was more enjoyable than the main game for me, but it felt dirty—gross. I don't want to do it again.

Forza Horizon is about the only series I don't have any issues with buying DLC for when the game's on Game Pass. Only because they have a track record of giving Game Pass users who purchased any Forza DLC codes for the base game when the game is about to be delisted.

Beechos

I buy dlc and will buy the actual game digitally when it drop to like $20.

So like say $30 expansion pass and even if I buy the game on sale digitally at $30. I'm paying $60 for the ultimate edition of a game day 1.

Last edited:

ChoosableOne

ChoosableAll
To be honest, it hadn't occurred to me that I could buy the main game later, and now getting the DLC seems more logical :D Besides, I probably won't play the game again after finishing it, but if I really want to, I'll buy the main game too. I guess Game Pass makes you forget about buying games lol.

Robb

Gold Member
No, never. As you said it just feels pointless since I don’t own the game, unless the DLC is fully playable stand-alone of course.

Cattlyst

The only GP title I bought DLC for was Forza Horizon 4 as I became a little obsessed with it several years ago. There was a happy ending though as MS ended up giving the full game away for free because I had bought that DLC. Cant think of any others I bought DLC for though.

Yes. Buy the dlc. Enjoy it while the gave is on gamepass. If you really enjoy the game, buy it at a moderate to huge discount a couple of weeks:months after it leaves gamepass.

Basically, play it for a year on gamepass and use any dlc you buy. By the time it leaves gamepass, it will be about ready to go on sale where you can buy to own much cheaper than up front.

Last edited:

ZehDon

Nah. If it's on Game Pass, I don't buy stuff for it because it might leave Game Pass and then I've wasted my money.

If I love a Game Pass game enough to want more, I'll buy the game and all it's DLC.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
The game is currently going for10 bucks on Gamepass.
Sunbreak alone is going for 15.

The base game + Sunbreak is going for 20 bucks.

If you are realty enjoying your time with the game just use the Gamepass discount and get both, Gamepass will have done its job and given you time to really see if the gamer is for you, and if you want to own it.....own it.

P.S Hasnt Monster Hunter Rise been on gamepass for over a year now, are you really worried about it leaving soon?
smT0Yft.jpeg

draliko

Sometimes but sincerely now I'm trying to consolidate my library on steam, way easier to manage and easier when I'll get a deck down the way. Often you can find base game plus DLC on steam for same price as gamepass so I prefer to own it on steam

CuNi

Bought the DLCs for Powerwash Simulator whenever they released.
That game is my guilty pleasure that I haven't bought because it's been what feels like forever in GamePass.
Won't be mad if it ever leaves, I play the DLC when they release and Powerwash Simulator isn't a game coming back to replay at all.

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
If you really enjoy the game, you're better off buying the game + DLC package, so you always have access to both.
I really enjoyed Dead Island 2, I'm never going to play it again though.

In that instance, I had no problem buying the DLC as both pieces are campaign expansions that once I'd played I wasn't going back to.

It makes less sense if you're sporadically subscribed to Gamepass and/or don't plan on buying the game on sale at some point, but if you're going to enjoy it while you got it then do it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom