• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

California Legalized It - Hundreds line up for celebratory blunts

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
Recreational pot sales roll out in California, with celebratory 'blunts' and big crowds

iNyAZJ8.jpg

Congrats California. Here's hoping the rest of the country follows suit in the next couple of years.

Legal sale of recreational marijuana began in California on Monday with fanfare, and celebratory 'blunts'.

Hundreds of customers — everyone from older people in leisure suits to a young man in pajamas got in line — waited upwards of an hour to buy such things as pre-rolled joints to topical creams and foods infused with marijuana.

”We can deliver marijuana in 20 minutes; it's like pizza," said Will Senn, co-founder of Urbn Leaf.

”People might actually realize weed isn't bad. It helps a lot of people."

”The days of the dime bag are long, long gone," said Daniel Yi, spokesman for MedMen, one of the three West Hollywood shops that will be selling cannabis for recreational use.

WElvpgL.jpg

”This is the most populous state. We've popularized yoga. We've popularized sushi," he said. ”I think this is going to move the needle like nothing else when it comes to the national conversation."

I think people have finally realized there is zero logical reason to keep treating this like an illegal drug.

Ubername

Banned
They gotta find a way to make it smokeable but not make you cough so much. Half the time I smoke I spend half the time cleaning up my phlegm from the floor, there's so much of it. And this was when I smoked a lot so don't go calling me a lightweight or whatever.

dextran

They gotta find a way to make it smokeable but not make you cough so much. Half the time I smoke I spend half the time cleaning up my phlegm from the floor, there's so much of it. And this was when I smoked a lot so don't go calling me a lightweight or whatever.

Have you vaped?
Just eat it.

Ubername

Banned
Have you vaped?
Just eat it.
Both are non optimal solutions. You can't bake with anything less than a handful and vaping is sketchy and takes a lot of specific equipment, not worth the hassle at all for me. The best vape I saw had an electronic interface to control temperate, that's too much when I wanna take a lighter to some pot.

And vaping still makes you cough, and yeah I have

dextran

Both are non optimal solutions. You can't bake with anything less than a handful and vaping is sketchy and takes a lot of specific equipment, not worth the hassle at all for me. The best vape I saw had an electronic interface to control temperate, that's too much when I wanna take a lighter to some pot.

And vaping still makes you cough, and yeah I have

Vape pens are 10 bucks and come with oil cartridges for a no fuss solution - but if you still cough that's not a solution.
Back in college we would add ice to a bong - that helped a bit - and who can so no to bong hits.

And I meant buy the edibles pre made - not bake yourself.

pramod

Banned
So giving people easier access to pot and creating more pot heads makes this country better...how exactly? Stronger? More productive? Healthier?

I just don't understand why people would celebeate this...

Ubername

Banned
Vape pens are 10 bucks and come with oil cartridges for a no fuss solution - but if you still cough that's not a solution.
Back in college we would add ice to a bong - that helped a bit - and who can so no to bong hits.

And I meant buy the edibles pre made - not bake yourself.
Ah word. Sadly my state doesn't have such accommodations. And yeah the Ice thing works aight.

wondermega

So giving people easier access to pot and creating more pot heads makes this country better...how exactly? Stronger? More productive? Healthier?

Additional revenue source. They want in on the sales. Why should all our drug dollars go untaxed!

dextran

That's a pretty narrow view of life.

squallheart

I'm OK with it being legal what I hate is when I take my little sister to a concert and the smell is everywhere. They should make it illegal in public venues unless it is then carry on lol

jadedm17

I'm OK with it being legal what I hate is when I take my little sister to a concert and the smell is everywhere. They should make it illegal in public venues unless it is then carry on lol

There should be designated areas like smoking cigarettes. It's important to be respectful of others with what you enjoy, especially odors, smoke and littering.

Ubername

Banned
I can’t remember will have to check but she offered 2 different options one strong and one lighter. They are still pills which i am weary.

I can be pretty miserable on days with lack of sleep. :/
Well idk what to tell you because that chron helped me sleep and wind down but I don't recommend anyone do it or get involved with it, so take that as you will I guess.

I felt your pain though, I had a lot of that thru college. Right crappy staring at a dark ceiling and whatever else for hours

llien

Is it something wrong with me, or is there some worldwide conspiracy behind "legalize it" ?

It's not that I opposed the idea, but synchronousness of the push confuses.

natjjohn

Is it something wrong with me, or is there some worldwide conspiracy behind "legalize it" ?

It's not that I opposed the idea, but synchronousness of the push confuses.

There’s been a continuous push for decades. Just took awhile for the push to net some wins and momentum

bad guy

as bad as Danny Zuko in gym knickers

It's about freedom.

highrider

Banned

That’s why my anti-drug is alcohol. But seriously, 420 culture is a blight on the vast majority of cannabis users, and I think it also reinforces myopic viewpoints like your own.

Now what’s the next goal post to move since California is never satisfied. I say whatever if you want to be associated with it, go for it. It smells so bad.

Hedonism. Modern liberals just want all the pleasure and enjoyment no matter the cost.

We basically live in a setting of dystopian sci-fi from xx century books.

Fnord

Freedom. Freedom is why one would celebrate this.

Someone told me that a blunt is about $5 worth of weed. Is that true? That's a lot of money to give away.

Never smoked any myself (I don't drink or smoke or anything), so I never realized it was that expensive.

That's why my anti-drug is alcohol. But seriously, 420 culture is a blight on the vast majority of cannabis users, and I think it also reinforces myopic viewpoints like your own.

420 culture is incredibly damaging to legalization. I smoke pot daily. On weekdays probably a joint a day, little more on weekends. I am productive at home and work, get all my shit done and, with the exception of Saturday's when there's nothing else per se to do and I want to game and blaze, am nothing like what 420 culture shows. Those that smoke themselves silly have other underlying issues because that's just stupid to do, and frankly a waste of weed.

jadedm17

That’s why my anti-drug is alcohol. But seriously, 420 culture is a blight on the vast majority of cannabis users, and I think it also reinforces myopic viewpoints like your own.

The hardcore, loud and in your face crowd, of most things are a stain to the vast majority : Gamers, vapers, pot smokers and motorcyclists comes to mind.
I've dealt with enough shitty people in a game or on motorcycles to understand why people outside those hobbies think they're all jerks.

Someone told me that a blunt is about $5 worth of weed. Is that true? That's a lot of money to give away.

Never smoked any myself (I don't drink or smoke or anything), so I never realized it was that expensive.

It takes much more marijuana, yes, then a bowl or similar, but with recreational use legalized it can cost a fraction of that even with taxes.

One company estimated with mass production on the scale of cigarettes or cigars that a joint would cost the same as a teabag: 10-50 cents.
That's hefty room for profit and taxation and still saving consumers money (and ease to buy, security and safety of a regulated product etc).

That's before getting into growing at home.

I'm so excited for this world to happen.

Those that smoke themselves silly have other underlying issues because that's just stupid to do, and frankly a waste of weed.

Moderation.

Food, alcohol, gambling, vaping... Hell even working out, anything in extreme excess is bad.

George Carlin even has a bit about if you can do cocaine or heroin once then it's not a big deal: Mostly highs, very little bad. A logical mind should be able to stop because after it eventually gets to the point of mostly bad and little high. The problem is our inability to moderate. (I don't suggest anyone do this but I thought it was an amusing point.)

BadHand

Making pot easier to purchase and reducing the stigma of it's use in a society where healthcare costs are astronomically unaffordable is probably a good thing for everyone. It also reduces alcohol consumption which is the catalyst for many violent crimes.

Depending on an individuals ailment and usage, "Stronger", "More productive,", "Healthier" are all possible.

Ubername

Banned

Yeah depending on what you're smoking, I'd say you'd want at least 5 dollars going into a blunt. When we were highschoolers we would throw 5 each on something usually and that was generally considered a small dose.

I bet the avg american coffee bill far exceeds what any non hxc stoner spends on weed per day, tbh. Although it is relatively expensive based on weight I suppose, but not when compared to something like wagyu beef or toro.

Pomerlaw

Your body is talking to you. Don't smoke the thing. Like others said, you better eat it, it is less damaging.

As for legalization, doesn't it make more people use the drug or not? I'm for legalization for adults even if I don't smoke (especially if it hurts the black market), but still wary on the bad effects on the brains of young people.

Also there is a lot of disinformation on the internet about how pot is a miracle cure for everything.

Fnord

Wrong answer. There are many things we are not free to do, because society as a whole benefits for it.

And many things far worse than pot that we are allowed to do. Personally, I don't think the government has the right to dictate what one does or does not put in their own body.

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
Wrong answer. There are many things we are not free to do, because society as a whole benefits for it.

And weed is not one of them. People will smoke weed whether or not it is illegal. Legalizing it just means billions of dollars aren't wasted on destroying people's lives and their families over it.

BANGS

Banned
Can't people still be fined since it's still illegal on a federal level?

I don't know if it's fines, I'm not really sure how that works. But yes, it is still illegal on a federal level. Obama overstepped his bounds and shut down alot of state legal pot operations, let's hope Trump doesn't pull the same garbage...

Moneal

I would say the country got better, stronger, more productive, and healthier after the repeal of prohibition of alcohol. we might just see the same thing with pot. Legalize and regulate is better, more productive, and healthier than illegal and unregulated.

Heath V

Fully agree. My experiences with full on potheads have been absolutely horrible! This is no reason to celebrate.

Ubername

Banned
Fully agree. My experiences with full on potheads have been absolutely horrible! This is no reason to celebrate.

Any time we take laws off the books is a time to celebrate. And no we're never going to repeal laws protecting against horrible things like murder and assault etc.

The Jason

Hedonism. Modern liberals just want all the pleasure and enjoyment no matter the cost.

We basically live in a setting of dystopian sci-fi from xx century books.

Are we back in 1950? Alcohol, the ultimate hedonistic drug has been legal and taxed by the government for quite some time now. Alcohol leads to more death, rape, unprotected sex, and violence than any other drug in America, yet where are the cries of hedonism? We literally have holidays where you are expected to drink, and the government makes millions of dollars in tax revenue on Alcohol every year.

What about America's obsession with fast food, its obviously hedonism, yet conservatives will defend the right to eat food that leads to obesity, diabetes, heart failure, ect. Should we make that illegal? It's obviously not good for the country right?

By simply taxing something that most people use anyway, California is going to have so much extra revenue it will be beneficent for the entire state.

caffeware

Banned

Usa is a democracy, a government of the majority,not a government of the right thing. Get used to it, because coke is next.

That said, I don't like drugs.

The Jason

People who think legalizing any drug is a good thing should read up a bit on history.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_opium_in_China

http://www.historywiz.com/downfall.htm

Are you really arguing that we should make all drugs illegal? Alcohol is one of them. Do you know anything about prohibition?

Usa is a democracy, a government of the majority,not a government of the right thing. Get used to it, because coke is next.

That said, I don't like drugs.

This is also not right. Coke is nothing like pot, it actually is physically harmful and should NOT be legal

pramod

Banned
As a result of cannabis use within the United States, several studies have linked heavy cannabis use to lower income and a greater chance of unemployment. Heavy cannabis users reported being affected negatively by their consistent use. Throughout studies, it has shown that many individuals feel as though cannabis has affected their social lives and physical and mental health negatively in the long run. Cannabis use among adolescents has steadily increased as more and more states enact various laws that have to do with decriminalization. A national study of about 6,000 high school seniors prior to legalization found that about 10% of nonusers said they would try cannabis if the drug were legal in their state. Among those that already use, 18% said they would use more under legalization. In terms of addiction, 70–72% of 12–17-year-olds who enter drug treatment do so because of an addiction to cannabis. There is currently no movement towards the decriminalization or legalization of cannabis for minors except for medical purposes.[citation needed]

Yeah sure, pot is perfectly safe. Let's make it even more easily accessible to young teens.

Top Bottom