• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty 4: Exploding Car Clone Wars Official Thread

chapel

Banned
****Call of Duty 4: Six Hours of Poop In Your Pants Fun Official Thread****

Official Call of Duty 4 Multiplayer Get Together and Gamertag Roundup Thread

Basic Information

Developer: Infinity Ward
Publisher: Activision
Platform: PC | PlayStation 3 | Xbox 360 | Nintendo DS (Not Developed by Infinity Ward)
Genre: First Person Shooter
Release Dates: USA - November 5th, 2007 | Europe - November 9th, 2007 | Australia - November 7, 2007 | Japan - Unknown
MSRP: PC - $49.99 (Regular) $59.99 (Collector) | PlayStation 3 & Xbox 360 - $59.99 (Regular) $69.99 (Collector) | Nintendo DS - $29.99
Game Rating: ESRB - M (Mature 17+)
Gamemodes: Campaign (Single Player Only) | Arcade (Campaign Scoring) | Multiplayer (Split-screen/Lan/Online)

Miscellaneous Information

Xbox LIVE Fire Weekend for Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare 11/16-11/18
Get ready for some wild multiplayer action as we celebrate the release of Call of Duty® 4: Modern Warfare™ with a LIVE Fire Weekend. We've got a 72-hour Play & Win Sweepstakes, a chance to play against the game developers, the PMS clan gets in on the action, plus we'll have exclusive themes, gamer pics, and game trailers available from Xbox LIVE® Marketplace.

Register your gamertag now and get ready for a whole weekend of fun and competition! From 12:01 A.M. (ET) on Friday, November 16 until 11:59 P.M. (ET) on November 18, you'll get an entry into the sweepstakes every hour when you play a multiplayer Call of Duty 4 session on Xbox LIVE®.

We've got a whopping 72 prizes to give away (one for each hour), so you've got plenty of chances to win. The Grand Prize package includes an Xbox 360 Elite console, VIP Accessories kit, Call of Duty 4 merchandise, and lots more!

Hardcore Mode Information - Taken from CharlieOscarDelta Forums
fourtwozero said:
In Hardcore Mode all HUD elements are gone, unless you get UAV Recon (radar) then the mini-map pops up for radar for 30 seconds but that's the only time the mini-map is visible.

The idea of Hardcore mode is to be more realistic, so you have no Ammo Counter, no Icons telling you who are friendlies, just you, your weapon and the world. Plus the increased weapon damage, friendly fire is turned on, and no Kill cam.

That's what makes Hardcore mode so fun, you have to use your eyes and ears to your advantage. Keeping track of your ammo, knowing where the bomb sites are, knowing friendlies from foes. Using your wits not your HUD.

Plus, in Hardcore mode you SHOULD be communicating with your team, so there should be little moments where you don't know one of your snipers is right in front of you.

For example:

Soldier 1: "Sniper at wood bridge!"
Soldier 2: "That's me ass!"
Soldier 1: "My bad...."

Problem solved. Communication FTW!

Information on the German version differences.
TerryLee81 said:
Just got an email from my game store with an Activiosion press release in which they say that the german version of COD4 will be nearly identical to the US version.

There will be 2 differences:

- one cutscene has been changed slightly (bullet impact)

- the "Aracde Mode" won't be available after finishing the SP campaign
Posts made by Calen a programmer at IW concerning some issues.
Calen said:
Ok, so, yeah, I'm one of the Infinity Ward programmers. I won't even pretend to be objective about our game, because all of us at IW love it (duh). That said, I see some questions coming up repeatedly in various threads...

1) We don't support keyboard and mouse on PS3, sorry.

2) No rumble (DS3) support - we found out about it too late to add it to this game. Hopefully next time around, though!

2) Yes, the PS3 version does support voice chat (bluetooth and USB mics supported.)

3) There are minor visual differences between the 360 and PS3 versions, due to the platforms being extremely different from an architectural standpoint. This results in us having to make different tradeoffs on both platforms to hit our framerate targets. They're very nearly identical, but you'll be able to pick screenshots in which both versions are "clearly" the better version. They're as close as we could make them without going completely batcrap insane (though whether or not we are already completely batcrap insane is a matter of some debate.)

Tradeoff example: Shadow filtering. We use different techniques on PS3 and 360 to filter shadow edges, which gives them a bit of a different look. I think it's a matter of taste as to which way looks better, but we did it that way because it was the most efficient way to do it on both platforms that yielded a look that was good enough.
Calen said:
I don't know what our patch plans are, if any (and I'm not one of the people who decides these things), but everything turns into a question of time vs. benefit. We don't have any kind of rumble framework on the PS3 yet, so adding it would be significant work that could be spent on other potential fixes or changes that would help everyone with the PS3 version and not just folks that buy the DS3. It's already on our "big board of ideas" though.
Calen said:
This is a misnomer and this rumor needs to die a fast, painful death.

CoD4 PS3 does have ranked, player skill based matchmaking! It does not use the TrueSkill algorithm, because that is Microsoft proprietary and therefore you'll only ever see it on the 360. People have been ranking and matching players in games long before this though, so we just use a different ranking technique on the PS3.

Server selection is still based around private match + invite, LAN game, local splitscreen MP or online matchmaking with the same party and lobby support the 360 has. The only server browser screen is the one for seeing what systemlink games are underway on your local LAN.

Edited to add, DKo5 beat me to it :lol I see this so often it bears repeating, though.
fourzerotwo said:
To Clarify!

Both versions PS3 and Xbox 360 are identical. They are both MAX 16 players in RANKED games, EXCEPT for 18 Player Ground War in Ranked.

However, on BOTH consoles, you can have 18 player Private Matches on ANY gametype.

Hope this clears up the confusion, in short. Both versions are the same.

Individual System Information

PC System Requirements
Minimum:
Intel Pentium 4 2.4 GHz / AMD Athlon 64 2800+ processor / Any 1.8Ghz Dual Core Processor or better supported
512MB RAM (768MB for Vista)
Nvidia Geforce 6600 or better / ATI Radeon 9800Pro or better

Recommended:
2.4 GHz Dual Core Processor or better is recommended
1024MB RAM (2048MB for Vista)
Nvidia Geforce 7800 or better / ATI Radeon X1800 or better
3.0 Shader Support Recommended

PlayStation 3
*Ranked Multiplayer Matchmaking up to 18 Players
*Voice Chat with USB/Bluetooth Headset
*No Rumble (DualShock 3) Support
*No Keyboard or Mouse Support

Xbox 360
*Ranked Multiplayer Matchmaking up to 18 Players
*Voice Chat through Headset
*No Keyboard or Mouse Support
*Achievements

Gameplay Info

Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare will introduce a variety of game play styles into the single player campaign completely new to the Call of Duty series. The game moves away from the standard three country-specific campaign style, and allows the plot to play through more like a film style plot with interlaced story lines from the perspective of the player as a member of the US 1st Force Recon and a member of the British 22nd SAS Regiment. There is also a variety of cameo-style missions where you play as various other soldiers such as an AC-130 Spectre Gunship gunner, or as one part of a two man sniper team behind enemy lines in a flashback style mission.

Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare will focus on the variation of modern warfare as an infantry soldier by allowing the player to control soldiers in a vast amount of different scenarios, straying away from the constant "at eleven" action of previous Call of Duty titles and allowing for both heavy intensity fire fights and slower paced drama styled intensity. The developer, Infinity Ward, has so far told about a handful of such levels including where the player will be the gunner of an AC-130 gunship and the pilot of a AH-1 Super Cobra helicopter providing air support.

The series' move to modern warfare has also introduced a variety of new modern weapons and technology to be introduced to the Call of Duty franchise. Such showcased weapons and attachments include M203 grenade launchers, IR laser pointers for use in conjunction with night vision goggles, silenced MP5SD submachine guns, and the FGM-148 Javelin portable anti-tank guided missile among many others.
(Taken from COD4:MW Wikipedia Entry)

Plot Information - Possible Spoilers

A Russian nationalist by the name of Zakhaev is set on returning his homeland to the Soviet times. Zakhaev knows the United States would never allow this to happen, thus he funds a coup in the Middle East, organized by his ally Al-Asad, to draw attention away from Russia. The two men and their seconds-in-command gain the nickname The Four Horsemen. However, the British and US governments have been monitoring Zakhaev's activities and discover his real intentions. The story is told from a perspective of a British 22nd SAS Regiment operative in Russia and American 1st Force Recon in the Middle East.

The game also features a flashback mission set 15 years ago in the Chernobyl Zone of Alienation, which features a new incarnation of Captain Price from 22nd SAS Regiment, the only character to appear in both of the first two games of the Call of Duty series. He needs to assassinate Zakhaev, but his mission fails because his Captain gets wounded and he has to get him out of the Zone of Alienation. Whether this new Price will be confirmed to be a relative of the WWII era Price remains to be seen. It is also believed that the assasination attempt left Zakhaev with only one arm.

The game features the following as playable characters:
*Lieutenant Price, 22nd SAS Regiment
(15 years ago)
*Sergeant John "Soap" MacTavish, 22nd SAS Regiment (present)
*Sergeant Paul Jackson, 1st Battalion, 7th Marine Regiment (later Sergeant as part of 1st Force Recon Co., U.S.M.C.) (present)
Their names are seen in mission info which is seen in published gameplay footage of the game. Further characters are unknown.

The game features the following as unplayable characters:
*Captain MacMillan, 22nd SAS Regiment
(15 years ago)
*Captain Price, 22nd SAS Regiment (serving as MacTavish's commanding officer. Uses the same model as Call of Duty and Call of Duty 2 incarnation) (present)
*Lieutenant Vasquez, 1st Force Recon Co., U.S.M.C. (Sgt. Paul Jackson's Platoon Leader) (present)
*Staff Sergeant Griggs, 1st Force Recon Co., U.S.M.C. (Support Gunner of Sgt. Paul Jackson's Squad) (present)
Their names are seen in mission info which is seen in published gameplay footage of the game, or, in the case of Lt. Vasquez and SSgt. Griggs, in the PC Singleplayer Demo. Further characters are unknown.
(Taken from COD4:MW Wikipedia Entry)

Box Art

647050b.jpg
647187b.jpg
270115b.jpg
200336b.jpg
200384b.jpg
180349b.jpg

Collectors Edition Contents

PC:
Official Brady Games Digital Strategy Guide
Exclusive Hardcover Artbook
$59.99

Xbox 360:
Making of DVD with SAS Documentary
Exclusive Hardcover Artbook
$69.99

PlayStation 3:
Unfortunately No Collectors Edition

Previews

Action Trip
Firing Squad
GameDAILY
Gaming Nexus
GameSpot
GameSpy
Hollywood Reporter
San Jose Mercury News

Reviews

Official Xbox Magazine said:
Simply put, Call of Duty 4 does everything right and nearly nothing wrong. But where it elevates itself above even the best shooters is how all of the good stuff is ludicrously good. The campaign never lets up, while multiplayer is a triple-A affair in itself. [...] this swing for the fences has belted Call of Duty 4 way out of the park. 10/10

Official PlayStation Magazine said:
The single-player campaign or the multiplayer options alone would make this essential. It's a game where stunning set pieces are linked together by other ever more dazzling set pieces, while the depth and customization potential of the online component promise months of play. Too early for game of the year? Trust us, you'll see.... 10/10

Putin's Review: Flash Player | WMV SD | WMV HD | MOV SD | MOV HD

Gamer.TV Review: (Had a video but was taken down) 9/10

Pelaaja: 10/10 Scans w/o translation

Screenshots

isthatheywaitasec.jpg

7 PC Images - Gamersyde
6 PS3/Xbox & 6 PC Images - Gamersyde

PS3 Shots by adams828 on AVSForum
Update: He is now updating with more pictures on blogspot.

temp.jpg

DSC03036-1a.jpg

DSC03053-1a.jpg

DSC03061-1a.jpg

DSC03071-1.jpg

DSC03072-1.jpg

DSC03077-1a.jpg

DSC03105a.jpg

DSC03107a.jpg

DSC03104a.jpg

6ewualf.jpg

More Shots here of the Multiplayer Interface.

Videos

Exclusive Halloween Surprised Trailer: SD | HD - GameTrailers

19007-t_cod4.jpg

Trailer: SD | HD - GameTrailers

26495-t_callofduty4_pcvsconsoles_int_gt.jpg

PC vs. Console Interview: SD | HD - GameTrailers

20798-t_cod4_artdirector_int_gt.jpg

Lighting and Effects Interview: SD | HD - GameTrailers

20749-t_cod4_weaponry_int_gt.jpg

Vehicle and Weapons Interview: SD | HD - GameTrailers

20747-t_cod4_evolution_int_gt.jpg

Evolution of Shooters Inteview: SD | HD - GameTrailers

Multiplayer Perks(That we know of)

Perk Slot 1:
* Bomb Squad (detect placed C4 charges)
* C4 x 2
* Claymore x 2
* RPG-7 x 2
* Special Grenades x 3
* Frag x 3
* Bandolier (adds more ammo to your clip)

Perk Slot 2:
* Juggernaut (More Health)
* Sleight of hand (Reload quicker)
* Stopping power (More weapon damage)
* UAV Jammer (Jams enemy radar)
* Sonic Boom (Bigger explosions)
* Double Tap (increased rate of fire)
* Overkill (carry two primary weapons, no pistol)

Perk Slot 3:
* Extreme conditioning (Sprint longer)
* Steady Aim (Steadier aiming)
* Last Stand (Shoot your pistol while dying)
* Deep Impact (Better bullet penetration through walls)
* Dead Silence (Less noise when running)
* Iron Lungs (Hold breath longer when sniping)
* Eavesdrop (Allows you to listen in on enemy chat)
* Martyrdom (While dying, player pulls a grenade)

Multiplayer Weapons (Potential list pulled from PC Demo files)

AC130
Airstrike
AK47
AK74u
Artillery
AT4
AW50
Barrett
Beretta
Binoculars
Bomb
Bomb Defuse
C4
Claymore
Cobra 20mm
Cobra FFAR
Colt .45
Concussion Grenade
Desert Eagle
Dragunov
Flash Grenade
Frag Grenade
G3
G36C
Hind FFAR
Humvee .50cal
M1014
M14
M16
M21
M4
M40A3
M60E4
MP44
MP5
P90
Remington 700
RPD
SAW
Skorpion
Usp
Uzi
Winchester 1200

Information and Single Player Weapon List

For those that want to play COD4 with realistic settings on the PS3 check out: NeoGAF Call of Duty 4 PS3 Realism Unit Thread of Realism!

kenta

Has no PEINS
Hm. So they said every version of the game will receive some special treatment... the 360 got the beta and the PC got the demo, do we know what the PS3 is getting? I was beginning to think it would just be some behind-the-scenes footage to fill up the disc but I now see the 360 and PC will also be getting LE's so I guess that's out.

Is PS3's special treatment just the fact that it's a good port? Or is a shaft now considered special treatment?

squicken

kenta said:
Hm. So they said every version of the game will receive some special treatment... the 360 got the beta and the PC got the demo, do we know what the PS3 is getting? I was beginning to think it would just be some behind-the-scenes footage to fill up the disc but I now see the 360 and PC will also be getting LE's so I guess that's out.

Is PS3's special treatment just the fact that it's a good port? Or is a shaft now considered special treatment?

tjhooker himself has said PS3 is getting better textures. That's the special treatment.

Drewsy

Banned
rakka said:
well the halo 3 thread was split into two, one for sp and another for mp...

That was necessary because of spoilers...I don't think many people care about spoilers for a Call of Duty game. :lol

kenta

Has no PEINS
squicken said:
tjhooker himself has said PS3 is getting better textures. That's the special treatment.
Link to that shiznit please

Also an explanation of who tjhooker is

Drewsy said:
That was necessary because of spoilers...I don't think many people care about spoilers for a Call of Duty game. :lol
There is a huge explosion in level
all of them

chapel

Banned
I am still fleshing it out. I just wanted to post it since it is basically fleshed out so far.

I am going to make the MP thread here in a minute. I guess I could just make this the official thread and the mp thread for gamertags.

calder

I'm still going to burn through the SP first in this game like I do in most similar situations. The MP will own my soul for a good while I suspect, but I always play through the story first. And the SP sounds damn entertaining, the trailers and videos certainly made it look as intense as can be, and as long as the puppet master's strings are mostly hidden I don't mind the linearity and standard COD scripted events.

chapel

Banned
Updating more videos, if you have any worth sharing please link as well as screenshots, reviews, previews.

Can a mod please change the title of the thread to just "The Official Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare Thread - DS Lead Platform!" because there is an MP thread that I already made, but this thread doesn't need to be designated as solely SP.

Router

Hopsiah the Kanga-Jew
So... Any confirmation yet on
there being a WW2 mission in the game linking CoD2 to this game and its characters?
I know that there was talk about that a while ago.

chapel

Banned
Router said:
So... Any confirmation yet on
there being a WW2 mission in the game linking CoD2 to this game and its characters?
I know that there was talk about that a while ago.
Read the Plot information in the OP. It talks about that somewhat. Should I spoiler some of that, I haven't decided if its a spoiler or not.

chapel

Banned
~Kinggi~ said:
The whole ' it takes 6 hours to beat' thing would be incredibly lame if thats true.

Yeah that would be, but I guess it really depends on the difficulty level and the player skill as to how long a game will take. I bet on average it really is closer to 9+ hours to beat, but I haven't played it so I wouldn't know.

RumFore

Banned
Why limit your thread? If you make a thread about a game it should be a discussion on the game as a whole. Not some parts. Come on. Redo it.

chapel

Banned
RumFore said:
Why limit your thread? If you make a thread about a game it should be a discussion on the game as a whole. Not some parts. Come on. Redo it.
Im not limiting it, the MP thread is meant for organization and gamertags. I honestly dont care if people talk about mp in this thread but the mods have made it clear they want the online forum used, so I am facilitating that.

Hootie

Definitely my most anticipated game of the winter, will be picking this up Day 1! I'll probably run through the campaign first, then begin my epic CoD4 online career.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Can I make a Call of Duty 4 box art thread? I think the box art is amazing and should warrant its own thread.

Len Dontree

Animator. Respect knuckles.
tegdf said:
I heard that the SP campaign is only 6-7 hours long, is that true?

I have it on good authority that it may be more like 5-7 hours. Bummer. :( But apparently the different difficulty levels are all good, and multiplayer obviously will have legs. I love good single player shooter campaigns though, so I hope it's engaging enough to be highly replayable just for the fun of it.

Hootie

Wario64 said:
Can I make a Call of Duty 4 box art thread? I think the box art is amazing and should warrant its own thread.

Don't forget to make a separate thread for each weapon, perk, and outfit type, while you're at it.

chapel

Banned
Wario64 said:

Sure, while you're at it, why don't you make a thread for the collectors editions and the DS version.

RumFore

Banned
chapel said:
Im not limiting it, the MP thread is meant for organization and gamertags. I honestly dont care if people talk about mp in this thread but the mods have made it clear they want the online forum used, so I am facilitating that.

Look at the countless other threads about games with both a sp/mp. Surely this can function in the same way in that people can talk about both aspects of the game without having to go to another thread. We are not retarded you know. I vote for a redo. You cant expect people to jump from one thread to another to discuss a single game. Its not like MGS4 which mp we know will be separate and may warrant a separate thread from the single player game.

EMBee99

all that he wants is another baby
Wario64 said:

I call the COD 4 Thread of Options Screens and Gamma Correction.

chapel

Banned
RumFore said:
Look at the countless other threads about games with both a sp/mp. Surely this can function in the same way in that people can talk about both aspects of the game without having to go to another thread. We are not retarded you know. I vote for a redo. You cant expect people to jump from one thread to another to discuss a single game. Its not like MGS4 which mp we know will be separate and may warrant a separate thread from the single player game.

Did you even read what I said in response? Or my other replies? Did you goto the MP thread to even read what it was about?

The MP threads focus is for organizing MP games, plain and simple. I asked for a title change, is there something else I have to do to get it changed?

I am just gonna assume we can atleast talk about MP balance and modes in this thread.

i really hope they balanced the stats system. Some of that crap was broken.

The MP beta still managed to sell me on the game tho because of the awesome level design.

Blader

Wario64 said:

GAF must be your oxygen because I think being banned has left you short a few brain cells.

DKo5

Respawn Entertainment
chapel said:
Updating more videos, if you have any worth sharing please link

I can get you all the perk videos in high quality (before anyone re-encoded and raped their 60fps glory) if you have hosting.

edit: Infinity Ward is not responsible for the DS version, thats being handled by n-Space and shouldn't be considered the "same" game.

Sandman42

The single player in this game sounds epic! It seems like this is one of those games that has a ton of great moments that you won't ever forget. I can't wait!

chapel

Banned
DKo5 said:
I can get you all the perk videos in high quality (before anyone re-encoded and raped their 60fps glory) if you have hosting.

edit: Infinity Ward is not responsible for the DS version, thats being handled by n-Space and shouldn't be considered the "same" game.

Well I am sure I can find hosting for them, how big are they?

I will make note of that as far as the DS version.

DKo5

Respawn Entertainment
chapel said:
Well I am sure I can find hosting for them, how big are they?

01 - Last Stand - 32MB WMV
02 - Deep Impact - 86MB WMV
03 - Double Tap - 69MB WMV
04 - C4 - 54MB WMV
05 - Sleight of Hand - 61MB WMV
06 - Dead Silence - 48MB WMV
07 - Ghillie in the Mist - 115MB WMV

I've got MOVs of them as well, but they're generally larger. These are all 1280x720, 60fps. They chop like crazy on most PCs, so they were usually chopped down to 30fps for release unfortunately.

chapel

Banned
DKo5 said:
01 - Last Stand - 32MB WMV
02 - Deep Impact - 86MB WMV
03 - Double Tap - 69MB WMV
04 - C4 - 54MB WMV
05 - Sleight of Hand - 61MB WMV
06 - Dead Silence - 48MB WMV
07 - Ghillie in the Mist - 115MB WMV

I've got MOVs of them as well, but they're generally larger. These are all 1280x720, 60fps. They chop like crazy on most PCs, so they were usually chopped down to 30fps for release unfortunately.

How would you send them to me?

Top Bottom