• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty 4: Exploding Car Clone Wars Official Thread

Barrett2

ElyrionX said:
So I just played a round of Domination and tried listening for footsteps but I just can't get it. At first, I tried it with my surround setup but it's late and I can't turn up the volume much so it doesn't really work out. I can't hear a single footstep and the fucking 360 and its jet engine is not helping either. So I switched to headphones and it doesn't work too. Yes, if I try really hard I can make out the footsteps but most of the time, you have airstrikes, choppers, grenades and guns going off all over the damn place in addition to your team's default chatter, it's really hard to make out footsteps at all.

To me the footsteps don't make much sense; sometimes I will hear what sounds like a 400lb person walking right next to me, but I will search everywhere in my player's vicinity and not find them. Other times a player will wildly run up to me and stab me in the back and I won't hear a peep.

So, I bought the Xbox 360 version of this. Am I shooting myself in the foot? Should I grab the PC version instead?

lawblob said:
To me the footsteps don't make much sense; sometimes I will hear what sounds like a 400lb person walking right next to me, but I will search everywhere in my player's vicinity and not find them. Other times a player will wildly run up to me and stab me in the back and I won't hear a peep.
From what I've heard, Call of Duty 4's sound programming was done in Dolby 6.1. If you're using a 5.1 system, perhaps that could be the problem?

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Woot! Finally got my Mile High Club achievement...980 total, just need to get all those damned intel items for the full 1000.

On my 5.1 set-up, I hear everythign fine. When I hear footsteps I constantly check my surroundings and stab or shoot the fucker near me. Sometimes I hear them too late if I'm concentrating hard on what's in front of me.

I'm at level 26 and just started playing the game online last week. Very enjoyable game.

Brandon F said:
Woot! Finally got my Mile High Club achievement...980 total, just need to get all those damned intel items for the full 1000.
Add me so I can be on your team... please. >_>

BlackGoku03 - PSN (unless you're on LIVE)

Or anyone else who's good as fuck on this game...

What anime is that from in your avatar? I've seen it somewhere but can't figure what it is.

Syb

lawblob said:
...Other times a player will wildly run up to me and stab me in the back and I won't hear a peep.
They're probably using the Dead Silence perk? That could explain it.

Brandon F

BlackGoku03 said:
Add me so I can be on your team... please. >_>

BlackGoku03 - PSN (unless you're on LIVE)

Or anyone else who's good as fuck on this game...

What anime is that from in your avatar? I've seen it somewhere but can't figure what it is.

I'm going for achievements, so it should be clear I'm on 360. Also, my avatar is from Killer 7.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
I just ordered it on ebay (you have no idea how it feels to buy US products with euros these days :)

I know graphics are amazing. But how is the 5.1 sound in this game?

Brandon F

marc^o^ said:
I just ordered it on ebay (you have no idea how it feels to buy US products with euros these days :)

I know graphics are amazing. But how is the 5.1 sound in this game?

5.1 audio is superlative. One of those games where the presentation is so rich and stray bullets and explosions are constantly going off all around you in heated missions. In the more quiet moments, you'll be able to pick out exactly where ambient audio is coming from due to strong separation.

Team Killers suck. To me, Hardcore mode is the best mode for gameplay, yet the griefers love it too because they are totally free to Team Kill without consequence. It sucks we can't kick them. :-\

theBishop

Banned
blindrocket said:
Team Killers suck. To me, Hardcore mode is the best mode for gameplay, yet the griefers love it too because they are totally free to Team Kill without consequence. It sucks we can't kick them. :-\

I played Team Tactical last night with 6 guys (3v3) all with mics. I didn't think it would be fun to play with so few players, but it was really great. One of the few times i really felt like part of a team online on a console.

And both sides were really nice to each other between matches.

a bit off topic,
but can you say me if I buy the game from canada (pc version) it goes to function well in the Europe on online mode?

sorry my english... :D

Accident

UnholySpectacle said:
Does anyone know around what time the maps will be up? I don't have work tomorrow and I need me some digital crack.

According to fourzerotwo "tomorrow night / early-Friday morning"

ElyrionX

I'm a huge fan of COD4. But I'm not so sure about the map pack. 800 points for only four maps seems pretty damn hefty to me. If they had thrown in more perks or weapons or attachments, it would seem more reasonable. But just four maps alone is kind of stretching the value proposition of the DLC for me.

Router

Hopsiah the Kanga-Jew
ElyrionX said:
I'm a huge fan of COD4. But I'm not so sure about the map pack. 800 points for only four maps seems pretty damn hefty to me. If they had thrown in more perks or weapons or attachments, it would seem more reasonable. But just four maps alone is kind of stretching the value proposition of the DLC for me.

Any other game and I would agree with you.

Sushen

PjotrStroganov said:
Like has been said before. Many people don't even hear footsteps. Maybe this is more the case with the console version than the PC version, but I really don't need it. Currently I use headphones because it makes me hear footsteps almost too well. When putting sound on the speakers I don't hear them nearly as good. I think it has to do with the way the sound is being mixed by my receiver.
It depends on which mode you play and what play style you play. If you play S&D, it makes every sense to have dead silence, but if you're playing domination or hq, when there are better options to take when it comes to choosing a perk 3 item. I mean the whole game becomes so loud and chaotic, footsteps will be very hard to hear any way.

vumpler

If You Can't Beat 'Em, Talk Shit About 'Em
We played against 3 teams that are in the playoffs on game battles today. All three teams either used barretts or m16's. There was 1 guy who used an mp5 but that's it between 15 guys.

They all used the red dot no silencer and did very well.

ElyrionX said:

Dude, 2.25 per map is not stretching it.

GHG

CajoleJuice said:
Yeah, Infinity Ward has me by the fucking balls, unfortunately. :\

Breaking my buying DLC rule with this game.

Ditto :(

But on a positive note it also means I can buy n+

x3sphere

MaizeRage25 said:
Banned???

Was joking, hence the ":p" Hey, it's not my fault if Activision sent out a bunk release date. I hope it comes out this week after what Bowling said, but I'm still not all that convinced seeing as the GOTY site has yet to be updated. And retailers got the GOTY edition in today, so you'd think they would update that.

Well, one thing is certain, the time it takes to find a game (PS3 version) has been dramatically reduced, so the "host ended match" crap isn't quite as annoying at this point.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Brandon F said:
5.1 audio is superlative. One of those games where the presentation is so rich and stray bullets and explosions are constantly going off all around you in heated missions. In the more quiet moments, you'll be able to pick out exactly where ambient audio is coming from due to strong separation.
Thanks, can't wait to try it!

Top Bottom