• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty 4: Exploding Car Clone Wars Official Thread

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
RavenFox said:
dark10x please gtfo out this thread. Those two pictures were done on what set at what calibration? As I said leave the dev alone and gtfo out of the thread if your going to bitch and moan about a fucking shadow under a gun. Apologies to the COD team.
I'm not bitching about a shadow under a gun, though. The shadows are fine, as far as I'm concerned.

I was bitching about the fact that the PS3 version uses significantly lower resolution textures throughout. That's kind of a big deal, you know. They literally halved the resolution of most textures, it would seem, and the results are ugly.

Cerrius said:
Gotta say that I love CoD4's matchmaking system, so much better than halo3.

1. more playlists means I can actually play what I want to. (not shotty snipers in team slayer or whatever :lol )

2. joining games in progress means faster joining times, less waiting more playing.

3. don't have to quit out and search again after every game. The game gives me the choice whether I want to continue playing with the same group of players or not.

4. Don't have to worry about quitters because new players join games in progress.

good stuff, FPS of the year for me

While I don't necessarily agree with all your points, (although some I do) it really is an amazingly fun FPS with great multiplayer. From the little I've played I'll already agree.

kitch9

Banned
dark10x said:
I'm not bitching about a shadow under a gun, though. The shadows are fine, as far as I'm concerned.

I was bitching about the fact that the PS3 version uses significantly lower resolution textures throughout. That's kind of a big deal, you know. They literally halved the resolution of most textures, it would seem, and the results are ugly.

No they are not.

RavenFox

Banned
dark10x said:

Okay fine but do you really have to argue with the dev? Give it a rest already. PLUS that shot of PS3 gun looks NOTHING like that on my set and others with PS3 version of COD4. It actually looks like a gun and not a washed out jpg.

dark10x

kitch9 said:
No they are not.
I beg to differ. It's pretty damn clear that they are.

Whatever, though. I've said my piece and I honestly meant not offense to Calen here. As I said, it's still a better job than most PS3 ports. All of my disappointment stems from my own poor selection. I should have waited a couple days before deciding on which version to buy.

rubso

Banned
dark10x said:

I'll have to agree with RavenFox, and you should gtfo of this thread. go back and play the game instead of bitching.

f@luS

More than a member.
dark10x said:

Just buy the 360version and see for yourself it looks exactlythe same so please stop and do it.

This is one of those moments when Dark10x's mindset that he's correct about everything is in direct conflict with people who are actually correct.

spwolf

RavenFox said:
dark10x please gtfo out this thread. Those two pictures were done on what set at what calibration? As I said leave the dev alone and gtfo out of the thread if your going to bitch and moan about a fucking shadow under a gun. Apologies to the COD team.

ppl dont get that... unless it is same set, with same calibration, you cant fucking compare them.

Calen

dark10x said:
I beg to differ. It's pretty damn clear that they are.

Whatever, though. I've said my piece and I honestly meant not offense to Calen here. As I said, it's still a better job than most PS3 ports. All of my disappointment stems from my own poor selection. I should have waited a couple days before deciding on which version to buy.
I'm not offended at all, it's not about that. Look, opinions make the world go around - we welcome criticism, harsh or not, because it makes our next games better. I wouldn't be posting here or reading any of it at all if I wasn't truly interested in what everyone thought, whether they like the game or not.

The only time I get a little bit defensive or frustrated is when people make blanket statements that aren't true, without knowing the technical underpinnings of what is actually going on. Especially because I know first hand how much work went into it all.

Now I'm going to take my own advice and stay the heck out of it. :lol

dark10x

Teknopathetic said:
This is one of those moments when Dark10x's mindset that he's correct about everything is in direct conflict with people who are actually correct.
You always say that, and sometimes it's true (I can't deny it, but I actually enjoy threads like this so...), but how the hell could you POSSIBLY say that I'm wrong about this?! It's painfully obvious that the textures on the PS3 version are lower resolution. It has nothing to do with calibration. That's really my only point and requires no understanding of how the game engine actually functions as it can be seen clear as day.

Would you like it if somebody forced you to play the latest PC game with textures set to low instead of high? That's basically what's happening here.

Only TTP understands me, it seems...

The only time I get a little bit defensive or frustrated is when people make blanket statements that aren't true, without knowing the technical underpinnings of what is actually going on. Especially because I know first hand how much work went into it all.
Of course, that makes sense. Really, I do appreciate the amount of work that has gone into the game. All of my disappointment stems from my poor decision.

I can say one thing...

I was not enjoying the game all that much during the first couple levels, but it has started to become a blast. You guys made a kickass game!

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Calen said:
I'm not offended at all, it's not about that. Look, opinions make the world go around - we welcome criticism, harsh or not, because it makes our next games better. I wouldn't be posting here or reading any of it at all if I wasn't truly interested in what everyone thought, whether they like the game or not.

Nah stay here, maybe you can shut up all those 'think-they-know-it-all' users that have sent this thread to garbage.

Calen, COD4 is amazing, great work (not only to you, but to the team). That's all you should care about, that you helped make one of the best games this year.

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
Calen, about the criticism, here's one that came to me while trying to join the mile high club:

1) If an enemy hasn't shot his weapon, it shouldn't be near empty. That random ammo shit was the biggest hurdle in accomplishing the mission.

2) Call the RS: Vegas team and get some squad AI tips. I know CoD4 is not Vegas, but again, that first dude who comes out the lavatory... 3, super well trained guys fixated on him, and they can't take him down before he reams me? =[

Just sayin'.

kitch9

Banned
Calen said:

Calen, why does it keep saying "Downloading game settings" when I try to go online on the PS3 version. Its been stuck on that screen for 20 mins or so now, and no amount of resetting the game or my PS3 solves it. It just does it again as soon as I try to log in.

Its driving me nuts, as the Mrs has gone to bad early for the first time ever n I wanna git murderin somebody!!

dark10x

f@luS said:
Because you both are wrong. I own both version, and you really are ...
See this picture?

cod48.jpg

The textures look like SHIT on PS3. It's one of the first things I noticed when starting that level. All of the other examples support my statements as well. Do I need to take a picture of that spot for you?

f@luS

More than a member.
dark10x said:
See this picture?

cod48.jpg

The textures look like SHIT on PS3. It's one of the first things I noticed when starting that level. All of the other examples support my statements as well. Do I need to take a picture of that spot for you?
just play both games on your tv and you will see. Seriously this looks identical

SupahBlah

Banned
squicken said:
Granted, I don't read the OT, but this might be the worst thread in the history of GAF.

Gaming is worse than OT, this thread proves that.

I just don't see the point in all the whining, you bought the game for your preferred system why bother if x pixel is out of blah blah blah jesus, just enjoy it and get over it.

Just wanted to say that COD4 MP is pretty great, its so addicting. I haven't even tried single player yet.

Which perks does everyone believe to be the best?

kitch9

Banned
SOMEBODY HELP ME. Why can't I log in, it keeps downloading game settings that aren't there.

I wanna smash summat up!!!

besada

Banned
Just read the shadows/textures arguments. Just wow, that's all.

I'm loving the MP. I sucked horribly at it in the beta, but I've apparently found my stride. I stalk that cramped little office map like a crouching Goliath with my shotgun. It's so viscerally appealing to pop some joker in the face with the shotgun, feel the impact in the controller, and watch the body fly backwards as that +10 ch-chings onto the screen.

Speaking of, I love the score keeping on the fly, but you should really hold off on the promotions in the middle of a firefight. Between the center top of my screen being filled with the badge, and that insanely loud trumpet fare, you can really get distracted long enough to get yourself killed.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
dark10x said:
See this picture?

w00t!?
This is news to me. They certainly didn't look like "Shit" when I played it on my 61" 1080P Samsung DLP.
Hats off to IW for delivering BIG time. Now, only if they would allow me to host some damn dedicated servers. This P2P shit gotta go...

Kosma

Banned
Jesus some of you guys are a jaded bunch, have fun looking at walls. I'm busy shooting mf'er s in the face.

kitch9 said:
SOMEBODY HELP ME. Why can't I log in, it keeps downloading game settings that aren't there.

I wanna smash summat up!!!

Servers are down it seems, have the same problem too.

vumpler

If You Can't Beat 'Em, Talk Shit About 'Em
Holy shit all this bitching over the textures? Are you kidding me? Who gives a damn when just looking at the floor? Have you played the game though? If you are playing full speed its by far the most fun FPS I've ever played in my life. I believe its now surpassed the fun I used to have back in the CS Beta days. This game is perfect.

In motion the game is beautiful, period.

MrToughPants

Brian Burke punched my mom
dark10x said:
See this picture?

cod48.jpg

Am I missing something here? I don't see a problem with that shot.

The game looks amazing.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
This totally sucks.
I wanna get in a couple of matches before I go to work, but I can't.
I waited 5-10 minutes for that stupid "Downloading Game Settings" and after that I can't even connect to a single match. What the hell is going on?
At least tell us before hand if the servers are going down on a specific date. Why are the servers down anyways? Did they "crash" or are they doing maintenance update?

Once again, dedicated server option for PS3 would be great IW. Please make this happen.
This is is too good to be fucked around with. Little stuff like this kinda ruins it when you want to play online. At least give us the option to host our own servers with a future update patch if you can. Please.

MaX_PL

Banned
wow i've been playing for the past 6 hours. i laugh at the kids who say this is multiplayer game of the year. the gameplay is fun yes, but the online features, the lobby system, etc., its not that great.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
MrToughPants said:
Am I missing something here? I don't see a problem with that shot.

That's the 360 version.

Dark, we should make a forum with just you and me in there so we can bitch and agree with eachother without being called idiots :lol

Timan

Developer
This veteran crap is bull. So damn cheap. I've been in the tv station for 30min they keep re spawning or some crap. Then the checkpoints suck, same guy constantly throwing a nade right before I go through a doorway :(

chapel

Banned
I just started to ignore anyone that is pushing their argument about the minute differences in the two versions, which in my opinion are so minute that they don't matter.

It is nice to not have to see all those posts, although too many people respond to them. Honestly, just ignore people that go on about it. It is obviously not desired behavior for anyone, the mods will lock most threads with excessive banter about stuff like that. I say we as users be proactive and ostracize those that try and keep pushing the useless rhetoric.

I can understand wanting the best version, but in this case the best version is subjective.

To dark10 or whatever your name is, I can almost assure you that you will get the 360 version and find it the same as the PS3 version. Maybe the game just isn't for you, and you should leave this thread alone and troll some other one.

just got back from gamestop and picked up the ps3 version like i said i was going to.

had some fun with the online, took a break to get some dinner, and OMG WTF WHY CAN'T I CONNECT

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
xS1TH L0RDx said:
just got back from gamestop and picked up the ps3 version like i said i was going to.

had some fun with the online, took a break to get some dinner, and OMG WTF WHY CAN'T I CONNECT
Avtivision is working on it. It is not a PSN issue.

test_account

XP-39C²
I beat the game (PC version) earlier today. Played it on Veteran difficulty *brag brag* hehe ;) Sometimes it felt almost impossible to make it. I wonder if the console versions are just as hard on veteran. I played it with mouse and keyboard, i cant imagine its being possible to beat it with a controller if the difficulty level is the same. If you can do that you're insanely good hehe. Altho, i saw you had an auto aimfunction in the console versions, where you can move your sight to the next enemy automaticly just by pushing a button, so maybe its possible then.

Anyway, the game is amazing. Its one of the best FPS games i've played this year. My PC is getting old (AMD 3500+ 2.2GHz, 1GB RAM, GeForce 6800GT) and the game had pretty good gfx and ran really smooth. No lagging, not even in the most hectic situations with alot of actions.

If you like FPS games you must try CoD4! :)

Surfheart

The game looks kinda soft and blurry with lots of jaggies on powerlines and such is it not 720p?

And the backgound and sky is really dithered and blocky/low res looking is my 360 about to die?

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
Surfheart said:
The game looks kinda soft and blurry with lots of jaggies on powerlines and such is it not 720p?

And the backgound and sky is really dithered and blocky/low res looking is my 360 about to die?

The game isn't 720p on either system

FirewalkR

So, i'm away for a while (oh how i missed thee GAF) and first thing i notice here, Crushed got banned. Oh man, not even the dude(tte?) responsible for some of the best posts in recent memory survived this. What happened? Something tells me whatever it was, it happened in this thread. :lol

Wollan

MaX_PL said:
wow i've been playing for the past 6 hours. i laugh at the kids who say this is multiplayer game of the year. the gameplay is fun yes, but the online features, the lobby system, etc., its not that great.

The lobbies have enough stuff to keep anyone busy. The matchmaking is pretty effective (considering it's p2p), no long suffering like with Halo 3.
A lot of customisation and options, skills and play modes all tied to a highly addictive leveling system.

The gameplay itself though is just perfect. The graphics is blazing away at 60fps with cool blur effects and so forth. The analogue control is the best I've experienced yet in any console game. But there's just so many touches that make this more thrilling than most shooters. Every player can have a unique set of skills and equipment. I love how larger and larger killing sprees grant you bonuses like air attacks, helicopters..etc. Just how the point score bounce and expand from every kill makes it more satisfying to take down a person in this game than other shooters. I love how the computer automatically makes player characters shout out statuses like 'reloading' while in multiplayer which is actually really helpful. Perks add sooo much to this game. The interface is awesome. This game is awesome.

p3tran

Banned
dark10x said:
Only TTP understands me, it seems...
TTP said:
Dark, we should make a forum with just you and me in there so we can bitch and agree with eachother without being called idiots :lol

hey, I think you guys are right. didnt say so before 'cause I thought you where having fun with the rest :)

p.s. calen, why dont you direct the people to a spot in the game where ps3 has better textures than 360? I think that could put the entire subject to rest.

Stahsky

A passionate embrace, a beautiful memory lingers.
wowfactor said:
So the ps3 has better AF and the 360 has better textures.

ps3vs360_10.jpg

It depends on your preference.

There you guys, kids. Now shut up about the damn textures and enjoy the game.

Top Bottom