• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty 4: Exploding Car Clone Wars Official Thread

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Sniper mission... waiting for the chopper... goddamn!:lol
My best attempt so far is dying when it was 50m away, ugh!

Quite possibly my favorite mission up until that point though.

Gowans

OK Ive finished the game on Hardened (without actually finishing, you know what I mean), one of the most fun and involving FPS's Ive played apart from one thing.

I HATE the timed missions, I know why they are there and appreciate that but the way enemys re spawn along with the timer just kills me. The online will have me for a while tho I dunno about th single player maybe to unlock cheats and do arcade but probably not (would have been a defo with Co-op.

Love the cinematic sequences and the ending, also the Brit characters banter really brings me into the game, a bit of joking around and real life dialog is really a nice touch we dont see too often.

As fr this last bit, are you supposed to be able to complete it, I honestly dont see how its possible, im moving and clearing as far as possible and every time the timer shoots its load into my face.

Carl2282

Gowans007 said:
OK Ive finished the game on Hardened (without actually finishing, you know what I mean), one of the most fun and involving FPS's Ive played apart from one thing.

I HATE the timed missions, I know why they are there and appreciate that but the way enemys re spawn along with the timer just kills me. The online will have me for a while tho I dunno about th single player maybe to unlock cheats and do arcade but probably not (would have been a defo with Co-op.

Love the cinematic sequences and the ending, also the Brit characters banter really brings me into the game, a bit of joking around and real life dialog is really a nice touch we dont see too often.

As fr this last bit, are you supposed to be able to complete it, I honestly dont see how its possible, im moving and clearing as far as possible and every time the timer shoots its load into my face.
I beat it on hardened too, awesome game but the difficulty makes me feel like the game breaks at some points. I'm going to replay it on normal just to enjoy the experience next.
The epilogue is easy if you just grab another sub machine gun as a second weapon, throw plenty of stun grenades, and try and take em all down as they are coming through the door

Gowans

Carl2282 said:
I beat it on hardened too, awesome game but the difficulty makes me feel like the game breaks at some points. I'm going to replay it on normal just to enjoy the experience next.
The epilogue is easy if you just grab another sub machine gun as a second weapon, throw plenty of stun grenades, and try and take em all down as they are coming through the door

yeah just did it on easy from the mission select will try Vet at some point maybe.

The parts that pissed me off majority where

The section under the ferris wheel
The run to the chopper on the level after
and the section just before the very sow doors that open.

(maybe the Ep if I can be arsed to do that on Vet :D)

those the same for everyone else?

Apart from that Excellent.

bob_arctor said:
:lol Once again, shades of Counter Strike--except ya gotta call it Deagle ;-)
I can't wait to get it. I picked it up in a match once...DEAGLE OMG.

The 3x Frag perk is totally awesome, too. NADE SPAM

CajoleJuice said:
The 3x Frag perk is totally awesome, too. NADE SPAM
That's the one I'm looking forward to. :D

So are most people here going to prestige mode once they cap out, or are they going to enjoy their toys?

Carl2282

Cornballer said:

So are most people here going to prestige mode once they cap out, or are they going to enjoy their toys?
im at 50 now, but I'm going prestige as soon as i hit the cap

I'll miss my 50 cal sniper though :(

Saiyu

Singho said:
Been playing through Veteran and I'm almost done with it now, i've just finished "Sins of the Father". Had I played this game from the begining on Vet, it would have easily have been one of the most hateful games I have played...next to CoD 2 on Vet. :lol

CoD 2 had the exact same problem on Vet, mainly that you realise that the soldiers have no AI at all. They are triggered into spawning, and triggered into attacking as soon as you pass certain points or markers in the map. They also have a 360 degree cone of vision with a 20 mile radius, X-ray and heat vision, topped off with machine gun sniper fire to annoy you throughout the whole game.

You can't trick them, you can't flank them, you can't hide as they always know where you are, and the new material bullet piercing doesn't do you any favours even if you do find a nice hiding place. The only time you will ever have the jump on them is if they walk into a Claymore, get hit by Flashbangs or grenades, or they are still in their "searching", "waiting animation" that they have been locked to untill the first shot is fired.

The only satisfaction of playing it on Vet is the satsifaction of going through a series of almost impossible and stupid respawn points...getting passed it and taking a deep breath at the relief that it's over. It's similar to the stupid difficulty of older games like Goldeneye on 00 Agent. You just keep on trying and trying untill you make it or give up in frustration.

Some levels are worse then others, but the majority of them do have certain battles which will have you grinding your teeth to nothingness. The "One Shot, One Kill" level in particular can only be described as A BASTARD. Got through that level on prayer alone. (Ran over by the swimming baths, dotted claymores down the alley and hid with my sniper rifle in a handy doorway. Still died a few times, dunno how on earth I survived getting back to Macmillan and getting to safety on the chopper)

Enemies will continually respawn untill you manage to run over to a certain point in some areas. Best example of this would be the TV Station battle. I was there for 35 minutes blasting and ducking in and out of the door way, only to get killed through the wall by some gun fire by an enemy on the otherside of the room. It got to the point where I had to kill and run as quick as I could before anymore enemies appeared. This was ofcourse after many, many deaths trying to find the best and only route to make it to that checkpoint alive. (Azerbaijan level where you run for the helicopter for escape is a PERFECT example of this. If you don't go down certain hills, around and through certain buildings you will get shot up to shit. The amount of times I died trying to get out of the barn area, you had to be clinical in killing 2 bad guys in the barn while dodging fire from advancing forces, and then setting up an air strike to get rid of a group of enemies running towards the barn and in your direction.)

Infact, alot of the levels on Vet are like this. At the start of the "One Shot, One Kill" level for example, there is no chance you will survive by trying to kill all the enemies that get dropped off by the two choppers, as once you kill all of them, they come back! As well as the enemies running from around the corner by the three busses. You have to kill atleast a few in the way, then bust out into a sprint and make a break for the next checkpoint trigger. You will get shot in the back, but you just have to hope you make it through alive. Same bullshit was in COD2 on Vet.

Anyway...I am just glad I experienced a more balanced, fairer and enjoyable experience of the single player on Normal. It wasn't too hard, it wasn't too easy, it was challenging. Took my time, easily lasted me more then 6 hours. Vet is just simply DIRTY. Dunno if Hardened is any better, but suppose it does not matter now. It's a great game on Normal, great experience. Soon as I am done with it on Vet, I will be hitting Arcade Mode on some of the more forgiving and enjoyable levels from Vet, mainly Mission 1, Mile High Club, Death from Above, War Pig, Shock and Awe and a few others.

I have to say that the scenerio of this was great. Loved the characters, The SAS, loved the setpieces and cutscenes, all in all, it's just a great game...on normal (possibly Hardened). The last level where you are
being chased down the motorway
was brainless but exciting and the final moments of the game and the ending left me very satisfied. "Mile High Club" just added to the high I was on once the credits finished rolling.

Oh, the Shock & Awe level. Crazy, did not expect that.

Captain Price, Gaz. They need their own game! SAS Missions for DLC please IW. :D The Iranian Embassy raid (as seen on the Bonus Disc for those that don't know) would be nuts. "Mile High Club", is so rock on Vet though, thats one level that will take quite a few retries and deaths to get passed, and it's only 60 secs!

I agree, with All Ghillied Up Infinity Ward shows how good future CoDs could be and what direction to take the series next. SAS missions like the one you mentioned wouldn't be a bad start either!

I love the comedy of the Martyrdom perk...

Some guy knifes me, I stare at the screen praying for the grenade to avenge my death... huzzah, he dies in my explosion. I hit X to respawn, only to appear exactly where the other guy died and right next to his martyr grenade, instantly killing me again. Happened about 3 times tonight :lol

ElyrionX

Cornballer said:

I'm at Lieutenant Colonel 2 now and there's no way in hell I'm going through that all over again.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
marvelharvey said:
I love the comedy of the Martyrdom perk...

Some guy knifes me, I stare at the screen praying for the grenade to avenge my death... huzzah, he dies in my explosion. I hit X to respawn, only to appear exactly where the other guy died and right next to his martyr grenade, instantly killing me again. Happened about 3 times tonight :lol
That perk is cheap and unrealistic. Unless you are cooking it and get shot. Later on you can do the challenge that has you cook the grenade and let it explode while killing opponents. That one was quite fun to complete.

Kosma

Banned
I wish there was a Deagle equivalent in the Assault Rifle range, I really can't decide which one to use still, I'm even running with the M60 now :(

bob_arctor said:
:lol Once again, shades of Counter Strike--except ya gotta call it Deagle ;-)

I wanted to say Deagle but didn't want to sound too retro. Time to get with the times chap! :lol

Dealge + AWP ...ah the memories....

Safe Bet said:
It shouldn't require 20hrs of playtime to get a hangun that works, imo...

They all work. Some are just more equal then others.

Safe Bet

Banned
ElyrionX said:
I'm at Lieutenant Colonel 2 now and there's no way in hell I'm going through that all over again.
I just unlocked the M14 and it has me thinking there's no way in hell I'm going back to iron sights again...

CAN'T SEE SHIT CAPTAIN!!!

Kosma

Banned
Safe Bet said:
I just unlocked the M14 and it has me thinking there's no way in hell I'm going back to iron sights again...

CAN'T SEE SHIT CAPTAIN!!!

That's what PRESTIGE mode is all about.

Sol..

I am Wayne Brady.
LiquidMetal14 said:
That perk is cheap and unrealistic.

lulz

anyways, you know one thing i hate about the park? The nade icon shows up when a friend dies, confusing me to no end and causing me to try to throw it away only to kill myself. One game I had one guy die right next to me 3 times prompting me to try to throw it and kill myself 3 times.

Uncool, if you have the perk die AWAY from teammates.

Saiyu

Sol.. said:
lulz

anyways, you know one thing i hate about the park? The nade icon shows up when a friend dies, confusing me to no end and causing me to try to throw it away only to kill myself. One game I had one guy die right next to me 3 times prompting me to try to throw it and kill myself 3 times.

Uncool, if you have the perk die AWAY from teammates.

God yes, change the colour of friendly grenade icons or something please, especially in headquarters!

Martyrdom isn't such a big deal to me anymore. I rarely get killed by it or kill people with it unless I'm in very confined quarters. Most people know to kill and sprint now.

I'm still in the air about knifing. I think it's currently too easy and a bit cheap.

I move back to assault rifles last knife after playing with the uzi's and smaller automatics and it was a pleasant experience. As long as I can keep my distance those guns are pretty awesome as I can unload forever and just hose down an area.

I also think friendly fire should be turned on default...

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
oo Kosma oo said:
I wanted to say Deagle but didn't want to sound too retro. Time to get with the times chap! :lol

Deagle + AWP ...ah the memories....

I know you meant Scout. Right? RIGHT?? *shakes fist angrily @ AWP*

I was always an UMP/Deagle or Commando/Deagle guy myself. The UMP in 1.3 was a headshot machine. :lol

Safe Bet

Banned
oo Kosma oo said:
That's what PRESTIGE mode is all about.
So my k/d ratio has to suffer to lengthen my e-penis...

Uh...

I'll have to get back with you on that one...

PS

What's with the Civil War over MP discussion?

Is the Online Forum only for meet-ups and gamernames?

PS #2

Player Movement Speed should be dependant on Weapon Loadout ala TF2.

A guy with an M60 shouldn't sprint as fast and/or as far as a guy with a MP5, imo...

Kosma

Banned
bob_arctor said:
I know you meant Scout. Right? RIGHT?? *shakes fist angrily @ AWP*

I was always an UMP/Deagle or Commando/Deagle guy myself. The UMP in 1.3 was a headshot machine. :lol

Yeah yeah...ofcourse I ment Scout....uuhh sure...for those few games when I felt really confident or it didn't matter anyways.

De_Dust, De_Dust 2 with occasional Aztec and Inferno mixed in btw. Nothing else.

Safe Bet said:
So my k/d ratio has to suffer to lengthen my e-penis...

Uh...

I'll have to get back with you on that one....

Well K/D is an e-penis too so what gives?

Safe Bet said:
PS #2

Player Movement Speed should be dependant on Weapon Loadout ala TF2.

A guy with an M60 shouldn't sprint as fast and/or as far as a guy with a MP5, imo...

You can't run as far with an M60 as you can with a MP5...didn't you notice that? The difference is staggering, really with a sub machine you can run round the block almost.

Hammer24

Banned
Finally finished the game on hardened. After a full fucking day of trying to get past
the crossfire in the missile silo section, before you make it to the slowly opening door
Thanks IW, for providing us with such an immersive game. Now on to the MP.

Eric WK

Cornballer said:

Just hit Prestige 2 tonight and intend to keep doing it. I really enjoy going through challenges/unlocking again.

All in all, the night was good. Broke my streak record (once again the highest on my FL - take that Quazar) and brought my K/D ratio up a few hundredths to like 2.02.

According to the CoD4 Message of the Day, there will be free Marketplace downloads up for Live Fire Weekend but it doesn't look like they're up yet. And don't forget Infinity Ward will be playing on Live all weekend, and prizes will be given out for every hour today, Saturday and Sunday for spending time playing CoD4 on Live. Enjoy and good luck!

j-wood

So guys, I think I'm going to pick this game up this afternoon. Thing is, I've spent so much money on games the past few months (I've bought heavenly sword, ratchet and clank, guitar hero 3, and a few psn games) so is this game really worth 60 bucks?

j-wood said:
So guys, I think I'm going to pick this game up this afternoon. Thing is, I've spent so much money on games the past few months (I've bought heavenly sword, ratchet and clank, guitar hero 3, and a few psn games) so is this game really worth 60 bucks?
It's one of the few that is worth the full $60!

calder

Last night I knifed sooooooo many guys it was ridiculous. I had at least 20 knife kills in under an hour of playing.

On that farm map with the little wood bridge (Overgrown? looks like Deluge but without the rain) I saw these 3 dudes running up path to move to a new snipe position and I sprinted up behind them and killed all three with my knife inside 4 seconds. I died almost instantly after as a 4th guy to the side ran up and shot me while I was 5 feet away from him (out of sprints, damn!) but my martyrdom nade got him. :D

I just love working my way behind the other teams main mass and getting my stab on. I need to get a silencer for my CQC custom setup so I can ninja shit properly.

Oh, one thing that does annoy me more is the way it splits up teams. I'm getting into completely unfair matches more often now, last night I was level 20 or so and there was a level 30 on my team and then 3 more guys under my rank. The other side had *3* guys who were all above level 40 and a fourth guy who was high 30s, but since the 40s were all in the same clan I assume the party system kept them together and so sad too bad to our team, which got just fucking smoked.

EDIT: does the continued server connection problems affect all platforms or is it PS3 only? I don't even bother naming my custom classes anymore because half the time they are gone next time I log in, I just have to choose them by memory, not a huge trial now as I'm used to it. But it took my brother and I over 5 minutes to join a game again last night as it just wouldn't connect, and that's after 5 minutes of not being able to log online at all (freezing at the downloading lists screen).

Other than that lag isn't bad at all and the game runs very very well in MP.

j-wood said:

The multi player, to me, is worth 60 bucks. Its really addictive and once you unlock something new you just have to try it out.

Addictive is definitely the right word. Once you get in "the zone", it's physically difficult to pull yourself away from the game. The perk and reward system is brilliant.

One thing though... does anyone find it difficult to go back to playing SP after playing MP? Being used to fighting against individuals set on killing and surviving, it feels weird fighting the packs of suicidal enemies in SP.

TeTr1C

You can put on a clan tag and that's about it, but you have to unlock it. :lol

Still cool.

Just got to 32 last night. I thought I played a lot, but I only have like 12 and a half hours logged online since launch day.

If you look on the leaderboards this guy has something like 5 days and 15 hours worth of online time. WTF?!

I wanna play with some of you guys here, so add me: BuriedOblivion

TeTr1C said:
You can put on a clan tag and that's about it, but you have to unlock it. :lol

Still cool.

Just got to 32 last night. I thought I played a lot, but I only have like 12 and a half hours logged online since launch day.

If you look on the leaderboards this guy has something like 5 days and 15 hours worth of online time. WTF?!

I wanna play with some of you guys here, so add me: BuriedOblivion
PS3 or 360?

Quazar

Eric WK said:
Just hit Prestige 2 tonight and intend to keep doing it. I really enjoy going through challenges/unlocking again.

All in all, the night was good. Broke my streak record (once again the highest on my FL - take that Quazar) and brought my K/D ratio up a few hundredths to like 2.02.

:lol :lol You and my brother got me. His is 28. Damn work to hell!

Hey guys, picked it up yesterday, finished the SP, LOVED it. I started the MP, only lvl19 right now, but I had a question I was hoping one of you could answer. I know the silencer keeps you off radar when you fire, but it reduces your firing distance and then the perk, UAV Blocker, does this keep you off radar at all times, no matter what? If so, what's the point of a silencer unless you want a different perk? Anyway, late for work. Sorry if it's been asked. Thanks.

calder

Russian Steve said:
Hey guys, picked it up yesterday, finished the SP, LOVED it. I started the MP, only lvl19 right now, but I had a question I was hoping one of you could answer. I know the silencer keeps you off radar when you fire, but it reduces your firing distance and then the perk, UAV Blocker, does this keep you off radar at all times, no matter what? If so, what's the point of a silencer unless you want a different perk? Anyway, late for work. Sorry if it's been asked. Thanks.
It's my understanding that the UAV Blocker does not prevent you from showing on the radar when you shoot an unsilenced gun, it only blocks the active search of the UAV itself. So to fully avoid showing on radar you need a silencer and the perk.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
j-wood said:
Yes. Come for the single player, but stay for the delicious mp.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Hardened is way too easy and Veteran is just unplayable. Whoever decided the difficulty levels is an idiot.

I agree with you, Singho. Veteran mostly consists of constantly dying until you hit a stroke of luck to survive until the next checkpoint where you figure out the best way to survive. Terrible.

steve

Banned
New PS3 patch announced, not sure if was posted already

Hey Everyone --

Wanted to give you guys a heads up on some updates coming to the PS3 version as well as some troubleshooting for those of you experiencing connection issues, especially those attempting to play within Dorms.

The first patch will be a Optimized Connection Patch, First the troubleshooting, those of you experiencing connection issues should check your router and make sure the following ports are OPEN:

Port:
3075 UDP
3074 UDP

This is the cause of why your Xbox 360 may work online, but your PS3 would not, as the Xbox 360 uses Port: 3074 UDP which is default open for Xbox Live compatible routers, however the PS3 version is using BOTH Port: 3075 (which is default closed for the majority of routers) and 3074 which should be default open.

Please ensure your router has 3075 UDP and 3074 open, information on how to open ports on your router should be found in your individual router's manual or website. This is a temporary solution, the optimized connection patch will fix this automatically once it's released.

Now for the Optimized Multiplayer updates, we've taken a lot of your community feedback and have been working on a patch for the PS3 version which we plan to release once complete, no ETA on when it will come out as it has to go through certification with Sony, however the update will address and add the following:

Identify party by Background Color (in Lobby)

Optimized Server selection for first match for better connections

Improved network performance for 18 player games

Optimized 'Chase Cam' when Spectating

Fixed Playlist error when attempting to join from other games

Handle Corrupt Create A Class data instead of kicking player

Added Kill cam to Airstrike bombs and Claymores

Added the ability to Mute Players on PS3

Added Recently Met Players on PS3

Tweaked the following Oldschool Mode Settings based on feedback:
- Added Unlimited Sprint
- Increased Magazine Size
- Added Ragdoll Cam

and finally, something we're working on getting into it by the time it hits you:

Addition of Host Migration so if Host Leaves auto-chooses next best host

HokieJoe

I'm maybe halfway through the sniper mission near
Chernobyl
. I'm playing on hardened or whatever is one below the hardest difficulty. COD4 is an extraordinary game in many ways. Graphically, it's very nice to look at with some neat effects (I love the heat blast from the back of the M1A1). The scripted elements I can live with, but this game has a few problems. The friendly AI while not bad, could use some work (probably no worse than most games).

The game gets really cheap at times though. Fucking grenades ALWAYS seem to land in your vicinity on some levels, and the enemy always flanks YOU even though there's friendly AI to shoot at. I can't remember the level name, but when your in the city, right before
the nuke is set off (the Chopper mission)
, you jump out of a building and as soon as you hit the ground the enemy shows up everywhere. That, and the
tank level
are goofy difficult. Another complaint that I have is how the enemy is able to ping you with lead from far fucking distances. With a Dragonov? OK. With an RPD or those goofy AK's- meh.

Overall though, fantastic game. I'm enjoying myself quite much with it. Feature-wise, IW has built a great foundation with this game. Now they need to tweak the combat elements some more, and let me requisition enemy vehicles (like Operation Flashpoint).

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
Bboy AJ said:
Hardened is way too easy and Veteran is just unplayable. Whoever decided the difficulty levels is an idiot.

I won't even touch Veteran as I had my ass handed to me over and over and over on the missile silo mission on Hardened. The long hall after going down the staircase...that part.

After 20 tries I was like 'fuck this' and turned it off.

K' Dash

steve said:
New PS3 patch announced, not sure if was posted already

Is this only for PS3?

Edit:

Xbox 360 Patch:

IW said:
Hey Everyone --

Wanted to give you a heads up for an update in the works for the Xbox 360 version. We're going to be optimizing a lot of things behind the scenes with matchmaking and host selection as well as adding a few new features via the update which I have outlined below. No ETA on when this update will be available for download, just giving a heads up on what's to come in the future in the first potential update:

Additions / New Features:
Added Kill cam to Airstrike bombs and Claymores

Addition of Host Migration so if Host Leaves auto-chooses next best host

Tweaked the following Oldschool Mode settings based on feedback:
- Added Unlimited Sprint
- Increased Magazine Size
- Added Ragdoll Cam

Optimizations / Tweaks:

Identify party by background color (in Lobby)

Optimized server selection for first match for better connections

Improved network performance for 18 player games

Optimized 'Chase Cam' when Spectating

Fixed Playlist error when attempting to join from other games

Handle Corrupt Create A Class data instead of kicking player

There you go.

steve said:
Added the ability to Mute Players on PS3

Thank god. I was just about to ask how to do that after just finishing a match with some Southern guy that wouldn't stop taking in his slow, lingering accent for the entire thing.

And to make matters worse, the voice quality was so bad I couldn't even tell what he was saying, all I could make out was his grating accent. I think he said "killed his ass" in there somewhere...

Top Bottom