• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty 4: Exploding Car Clone Wars Official Thread

Elios83

DSC03157a.jpg

DSC03158a.jpg

DSC03161a.jpg

DSC03162a.jpg

DSC03163a.jpg

DSC03164a.jpg

DSC03139a.jpg

DSC03140a.jpg

DSC03141a.jpg

http://avspics.blogspot.com/

Bebpo

Banned
beermonkey@tehbias said:
I'm fine with six hours. Don't most people buy these games primarily for multiplayer? If you are only interested in the single player, just rent it for 7 bucks and you've got some killer entertainment that costs less than going to the movies.

I remember back in the day at CoD1/2 when the game was known as that "game with shitty multiplayer, that you buy for the awesome SP"

I guess CoD3 (Which had a crap SP) changed that perception?

pxleyes said:
Jesus has Portal taught you nothing. Length /= Quality.

Because if Portal was $65 after tax, you'd still be perfectly happy with what you got?

Are you not going to play multiplayer, Bebpo? Honestly, I can't even bring myself to play Halo 3 single-player, Rainbow Six: Vegas single-player (actually, I've barely played multiplayer either). 6 hours is more than enough for me in COD4. I might actually finish it.

Edit: Nvm, I saw your post stating that you don't play multiplayer.

That's a shame. /seinfeld

DKo5

Respawn Entertainment
Re: Length

I've never played through the game in 5-6 hours. I also don't play on Easy or Normal.

If a reviewer, who is most likely adept at FPS games, chooses to ignore the difficulty suggestion we give early on in the game and plays on Easy - they're going to breeze through it. This isn't to say that the harder difficulties make it so you just die/respawn ad nauseum, but rather, you have to take your time. You can't go guns blazing in to a room without a worry. It becomes less Rambo and more planned out. You cherish grenades, as opposed to throwing them for fun. You conserve ammo and place your shots carefully.

tl;dr
If you speed run, 5-6 hours is totally do-able. If you play at your skill level, it's about as long as previous CODs (I think you actually traverse more ground and do more "stuff", actually)

Personally, I'm stuck on Veteran at the moment (too impatient, don't know when to keep my head down :p), but it took me ~10 hours on Hardened. For reference, I finished Gears on Insane in ~9 hours, and Halo 3 on Legendary (co-op) in ~6 hours (and loved every minute of both).

Length != Quality/Value, but its not something I think COD4 is lacking.

Plus! Arcade Mode >:D

Bebpo said:
I remember back in the day at CoD1/2 when the game was known as that "game with shitty multiplayer, that you buy for the awesome SP"

Once they fixed the lobbies, I thought CoD2 multi was excellent, especially Headquarters mode. Played the hell out of it. The only possible criticism I can imagine is that it only scales up to eight players, but that's misguided IMO, the maps are perfect for eight players and smaller teams tend to communicate better.

MrSardonic

The nerdiest nerd of all the nerds in nerdland
Bebpo said:
I remember back in the day at CoD1/2 when the game was known as that "game with shitty multiplayer

CoD1 had awesome multiplayer. I still play CoD:UO online. Going to FPS that don't have a lean function or weapon zoom feels like a step backwards.

MrSardonic said:
CoD1 had awesome multiplayer. I still play CoD:UO online. Going to FPS that don't have a lean function or weapon zoom feels like a step backwards.
By weapon zoom I'm guessing you mean aiming down the sights?

DKo5 said:
Re: Length

Thanks, DK. Regarding difficulty, would you recommend a first play through on Veteran or Hardened for the seasoned gamer. I finished CoD2 on Veteran, but it took me a while.

pxleyes

Banned
Bebpo said:

Because if Portal was $65 after tax, you'd still be perfectly happy with what you got?

Absolutely.

Fuck those screens look awesome. And I was a big fan of COD2 (never played the third). Distressing about the length, but yeah, most high-profile FPS are getting to be about that long these days, so whatever.

DKo5

Respawn Entertainment
Cornballer said:
Thanks, DK. Regarding difficulty, would you recommend a first play through on Veteran or Hardened for the seasoned gamer. I finished CoD2 on Veteran, but it took me a while.

We recommended reviewers play on Hardened unless they really weren't seasoned FPS players. We did LOTS of focus testing for this game and came to the conclusion that most people really, well, aren't very good at games :p. To accommodate this we really made the game for "gamers" on Hardened (as opposed to Normal). Veteran isn't as kick-you-in-the-balls-hard that some people around here would like (thank GOD! I swear, some of the designers here... ;)), but its also got some parts where you really just get through by the skin of your teeth. Obviously you'll want to eventually get through on Veteran for that badge of honor and feeling of accomplishment, but a first play through on Hardened is probably a good idea for someone like yourself.

Thanks, DK. I'll keep that in mind. Sounds like Hardened will be good for me the first time around.
DKo5 said:
We did LOTS of focus testing for this game and came to the conclusion that most people really, well, aren't very good at games :p.
:lol

J-Rzez

GeneralIroh said:
Hardcore will be perfect for clan battles. I'm going ti spend most of my time in that mode.

Speaking of which... Is there actually decent clan support in this? I haven't heard much on that outside of "clan tags"... The only series to do clan matches properly on consoles so far is SOCOM, with there being scheduled clan battles that you had to log in at a certain time for, and a ladder system...

DKo5 said:
We did LOTS of focus testing for this game and came to the conclusion that most people really, well, aren't very good at games :p

What does your game offer someone who hates any semblance of challenge? Just how insultingly easy do people find your easy mode? Are there cheat codes? Can you hang back and let your squadmates play the game for you?

And what happens when you shoot your squadmates? There was nothing in CoD2 worse than getting a game over screen because one of the named NPCs ran in front of you while you were firing.

zam

DKo5 said:
We recommended reviewers play on Hardened unless they really weren't seasoned FPS players. We did LOTS of focus testing for this game and came to the conclusion that most people really, well, aren't very good at games :p. To accommodate this we really made the game for "gamers" on Hardened (as opposed to Normal). Veteran isn't as kick-you-in-the-balls-hard that some people around here would like (thank GOD! I swear, some of the designers here... ;)), but its also got some parts where you really just get through by the skin of your teeth. Obviously you'll want to eventually get through on Veteran for that badge of honor and feeling of accomplishment, but a first play through on Hardened is probably a good idea for someone like yourself.
Cool, sounds like it's sort of like Halo 3, where Heroic was the "normal for experienced players".

Also good to hear that Veteran isn't insaneley hard. I managed through CoD2 on Veteran but I just couldn't stand CoD3, all the horrible game-flaws really got magnified to x100 when playing that game on Veteran.

h0pper

only Fernando's ripe melons are good enough for me
MrSardonic said:

COD:UO was disgraceful. It wasn't an IW game and it showed. They tried to implement vehicles and take the aspects of DOD that succeeded and just threw them into a COD expansion pack.

No leaning isn't that big of a deal.

h0pper

only Fernando's ripe melons are good enough for me
CajoleJuice said:
Are you not going to play multiplayer, Bebpo? Honestly, I can't even bring myself to play Halo 3 single-player, Rainbow Six: Vegas single-player (actually, I've barely played multiplayer either). 6 hours is more than enough for me in COD4. I might actually finish it.

Edit: Nvm, I saw your post stating that you don't play multiplayer.

That's a shame. /seinfeld

Will I ever see you again after Nov. 6th?

manngc said:
That's a little disappointing. Then what is this split screen talk I heard about?
I think this is how it works: You can LAN or play on a single console (local game) in split-screen. You just can't go online playing splitscreen.

QVT

Fair-weather, with pride!
Cornballer said:
I think this is how it works: You can LAN or play on a single console (local game) in split-screen. You just can't go online playing splitscreen.

But can you play co-op online? I just assumed you could, these days.

I definitely wont buy it if it can't be played in co-op online. Not at full price at least.

chapel

Banned
QVT said:

I definitely wont buy it if it can't be played in co-op online. Not at full price at least.
No coop, online or off.

QVT said:

WTF? IS coop seriously that much of a factor now just because 2 games have it? Like seriously. You're already getting one of the best if not the best Multiplayer game on the market and a phenomenal single-player experience. CoD isn't a coop game.

Kosma

Banned
The Putin review is the best:

"Very impossible story with stolen Russian nukes, that I find disgusting like Polish vodka"

:lol

Tideas

Banned
question, does MP allow cross-platform playing? or is it PC vs PC only, 360 vs 360 only, and PS3 vs PS3 only?

calder

Tideas said:
question, does MP allow cross-platform playing? or is it PC vs PC only, 360 vs 360 only, and PS3 vs PS3 only?
I can't imagine there being cross platform at all. That will always be vanishingly rare for a lot of reasons, and when it does happen it'll be 360 and pc or ps3 and pc like we've seen a handful of times in the past. But I don't recall hearing anything about cross-platform online in this game.

Rayme said:
I have a question for the masses... the 3d screenshot on this page; is that something that you're into? Or is it a "shrug and move on" sort of thing for you? And for that matter, is it obvious that you can click-and-drag to move the view around?
QTVR's are pretty cool. I like checking them out.

Dartastic

DKo5 said:

Another difficulty question: I played through COD2 on Normal, then played up through the vast majority of the English desert missions on Veteran. I absolutely loved playing on Veteran, except on very rare occasions where I felt I was being pinned down in completely unfair ways. This usually happened in the Russian campaign. I still however, loved it. Based on my previous playthrough experience, would you recommend Veteran or Hardened for a gamer such as myself? If you had to compare Veteran in COD4 difficulty to Veteran on COD2, would you say it's easier, or harder? I want a good challenge from this, but I don't want it to completely wipe the floor with me. I'm also assuming that difficulty is adjustable at the beginning of every mission, such as in COD2?

bjscott05

Rayme said:
Day 5!
I have a question for the masses... the 3d screenshot on this page; is that something that you're into? Or is it a "shrug and move on" sort of thing for you? And for that matter, is it obvious that you can click-and-drag to move the view around?

They are interesting, but I would rather just see some type of gameplay movie. Day five as a whole was pretty weak- the wallpaper has been up on charlieoscardelta for quite some time.

Bebpo said:
No way dude, CoD (and CoD:UO to a lesser extent because it was so fast paced and DoD styled) were awesome MP games ESPECIALLY with the realism mods to curb stomp the run and gunners. CoD was a great game to play through once if just to see the set pieces, but it really shined with the MP (helped greatly with mods). None of my clan mates finished the UO SP campaign and CoD2 (for the PC folk anyway, it was teh awesom3 for 360ers) felt more like a graphical expansion pack since it didn't add much and took away vehicles that UO added to the series. :\
CoD4 looks to rock in both SP and MP.

DKo5

Respawn Entertainment
Dartastic said:
Another difficulty question: I played through COD2 on Normal, then played up through the vast majority of the English desert missions on Veteran. I absolutely loved playing on Veteran, except on very rare occasions where I felt I was being pinned down in completely unfair ways. This usually happened in the Russian campaign. I still however, loved it. Based on my previous playthrough experience, would you recommend Veteran or Hardened for a gamer such as myself? If you had to compare Veteran in COD4 difficulty to Veteran on COD2, would you say it's easier, or harder? I want a good challenge from this, but I don't want it to completely wipe the floor with me. I'm also assuming that difficulty is adjustable at the beginning of every mission, such as in COD2?

I would definitely recommend you play through on Veteran if you like that kind of challenge. I'd say there are less of those "impossible" sections this time around, but when you're playing at the hardest difficulty there's bound to be a few you'll get stuck on ;)

Dartastic

DKo5 said:
I would definitely recommend you play through on Veteran if you like that kind of challenge. I'd say there are less of those "impossible" sections this time around, but when you're playing at the hardest difficulty there's bound to be a few you'll get stuck on ;)

COD 2 Veteran seemed to be the perfect mix of fun and a good challenge, and it's good to hear that COD4 is keeping the challenge while cutting down on the cheap moments. Just the info I needed! Thank you! :D

MonkeyLicker

Art does not make 60FPS @ 1080i with real world physics on the PSf*ckin2.
I'm fine with 6 hour games so long as they have great multi-player (which this obviously does.)

Top Bottom