• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty 4: Exploding Car Clone Wars Official Thread

unomas

Banned
I just picked this up at Circuit City for $39.99. Online it said Circuit City didn't have any copies but when I went to the store they had 4 copies on the floor. So for those of you checking Circuit City online and thinking it's not in store you might want to call to see if they have it. I was pretty happy to pick it up for that price, and Veteran is kicking my ass as we speak. I'll probably hop online in a few days, and I can't say enough about the graphics and sound. HD and 5.1 were made for this game ;)

Sean

Banned
Just checked the X360 leaderboards and wow, CoD4 sold over 1,140,544 in the first month on that platform alone. I'm pretty sure that is the biggest 3rd party debut on next-gen consoles?

cod4dec329273.jpg

zam

McLovin said:
Wah? Where did you get stuck? I found the level really easy.. my top score is like 25,000 something.
I think he's trying to beat it on veteran, not get a score in arcade mode.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
t4ng0 said:
how the hell do you deal with the helicopter wave of russians at the end of the sniper level
i was playing at a friends and we got overrun probably like 20 times- and no, we're not incompetent snipers.:D
After 20 or so tries I ended up going
prone inside the left most ticket queue hut after having killed the first wave off the nearest chopper as they slid down the rope. That way no enemies appeared to know where I was and left me alone for the whole fight. Thanks to grenade explosions not going through walls you're completely safe, and any stray grenades that happen to bounce into the door can easily be thrown back out again.
:)

Eric WK

Sean said:
Just checked the X360 leaderboards and wow, CoD4 sold over 1,140,544 in the first month on that platform alone. I'm pretty sure that is the biggest 3rd party debut on next-gen consoles?

cod4dec329273.jpg

I'm guessing it did at least 1.2 - 1.5 considering people not on Live or who aren't on the leaderboard.

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
Sean said:

See devs. 60fps can bring in teh big bucks!

pr0cs

I doubt that a lot of those 1.5 million bought the game because they knew the difference between 30 and 60 fps. Likely they bought because they knew what sort of experience they'd get with a CoD by Infinity Ward product.

xbhaskarx

Sean said:

The 360 leaderboards are currently >1,250,000.
So wouldn't that number only be people who are online? With Xbox Live Gold and not Silver? Who have played the multiplayer (and not just the single player)?

What are the leaderboards currently at for the PS3 and PC? Does the DS version have leaderboards? :lol

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
pr0cs said:
I doubt that a lot of those 1.5 million bought the game because they knew the difference between 30 and 60 fps. Likely they bought because they knew what sort of experience they'd get with a CoD by Infinity Ward product.

Infinity Ward isn't all that well known outside of GAF. I don't think the developer had anything to do with it. Word of mouth is the one to thank. That and 60fps.

Dr_Cogent

Banned
pr0cs said:

I think people are die hard fans, buy all of them, friends see the awesomeness - and they buy it too or ask for it for Xmas.

Most people don't keep up with devs and who makes what. We are the exception, not the rule.

dankir

McLovin said:
Wah? Where did you get stuck? I found the level really easy.. my top score is like 25,000 something.

No no, I meant the very very last level on campaign. Where you have to complete in 60 seconds. Took me at least 75 tries but I finally did it.

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
Sean said:

cod4dec329273.jpg

Add +1 to the list because I'm buying COD4 today. :p

Frillen

DaCocoBrova said:
Infinity Ward isn't all that well known outside of GAF. I don't think the developer had anything to do with it. Word of mouth is the one to thank. That and 60fps.

Do you seriously think a lot of gamers give a shit if a title runs at 30FPS or 60FPS? I would say 99% of the buyers don't even know what it is.

pr0cs

Dr_Cogent said:
Most people don't keep up with devs and who makes what. We are the exception, not the rule.
I'd like to compare how CoD3 sold versus CoD2 and CoD4. Might just be a side effect of the ratings of the game or in my opinion more gamers can tell the difference between games outsourced vs developed by the property owners.

Kosma

Banned
pr0cs said:
I'd like to compare how CoD3 sold versus CoD2 and CoD4. Might just be a side effect of the ratings of the game or in my opinion more gamers can tell the difference between games outsourced vs developed by the property owners.

Think it has to do with the fact that this game isn't set in WW2 too.

xbhaskarx

So it has sold well over a million either because it's an Infinity Ward product or because it's 60fps? Can't we get a third choice that's a little more reasonable?

pr0cs

xbhaskarx said:
So it has sold well over a million either because it's an Infinity Ward product or because it's 60fps? Can't we get a third choice that's a little more reasonable?
It's a great game?

Man, what a game. I finished the single player today and though a bit short, was thoroughly awesome.

I played a bit of multiplayer tonight to try it out and that part of the game is even better! I suck big time right now but can see myself playing this for a long time.

A few questions though:

1 - Do you only show up on radar if you fire or the enemy has a UAV? People keep sneaking up and knifing me close range and I never saw them coming.

2 - How long until the other game modes open up? I played some DM and TDM and want to see the cooler stuff.

3 - I can't pick a gun for my custom class this early! The M16 is semi-auto, the M5 does no damage. I have been going ok with the RPD and got the red dot sight with that, but the reload times are horrible. Any suggestions for a newbie to get me started?

Edit: My perks at the moment are 3 special grenades, juggernaut and improved aim.

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
$1148 Jack said:
A few questions though:.

1 - Do you only show up on radar if you fire or the enemy has a UAV? People keep sneaking up and knifing me close range and I never saw them coming.

No. When you fire you light up on the enemy's radar if you're in close enough range. The guys sneaking up on you could also be tracking you. As a noob, no offense, but you're probably wandering all over the place.

2 - How long until the other game modes open up? I played some DM and TDM and want to see the cooler stuff.

They happen quickly. I think by level 5 you should get most of the cool ones and at level 10 you should have like 85% of them. I may be totally wrong on this.

3 - I can't pick a gun for my custom class this early! The M16 is semi-auto, the M5 does no damage. I have been going ok with the RPD and got the red dot sight with that, but the reload times are horrible. Any suggestions for a newbie to get me started?

M16. This is my rifle this is my friend. Stay with this weapon, soldier. Soon you'll get the red dot. Then you'll get stopping power and deep impact perks. This weapon requires precision. Besides being the best weapon (IMO) it will help you long term in the game.

Edit: My perks at the moment are 3 special grenades, juggernaut and improved aim

The improved aim perk you have is for hip fire, right? I'd swap that out if I were you.

RSTEIN said:
The improved aim perk you have is for hip fire, right? I'd swap that out if I were you.

Ah, thanks for the advice. I was wandering all over but I'm trying to learn the maps aswell as kill people. Should I stay close to teammates and provide cover for them?

What do you suggest for early perks?

Google

Finished the game yesterday, and I have to say I was a little disappointed by the final act.

It didn't feel anywhere near as epic as the first, and nowhere near as emotional as the second.

Great game though, and the first game I've completed all year, and quite possibly the first and only FPS I've ever finished.

RSTEIN

$1148 Jack said:
Ah, thanks for the advice. I was wandering all over but I'm trying to learn the maps aswell as kill people. Should I stay close to teammates and provide cover for them?

What do you suggest for early perks?

Yeah, I'd stay close to them and provide cover. Once you learn the maps you can lead the charge/head to the key strategic points.

Unfortunately I forget what perks are available when you start. Do you have deep impact or stopping power? The reason I would swap out the hip fire accuracy is because you shouldn't be shooting from the hip in the first place (at least with the M16). With the MP5, you can shoot from the hip, but not with the M16.

RSTEIN said:
Yeah, I'd stay close to them and provide cover. Once you learn the maps you can lead the charge/head to the key strategic points.

Unfortunately I forget what perks are available when you start. Do you have deep impact or stopping power? The reason I would swap out the hip fire accuracy is because you shouldn't be shooting from the hip in the first place (at least with the M16). With the MP5, you can shoot from the hip, but not with the M16.

Yep, I was shooting from the hip (crouched) and wasn't doing too much damage. I'll swap out aim for stopping power and see how it goes with the M16. Thanks for the help.

Edit: I just got a few UAV and airstrike abilities for streaks, this game rocks. I hate matyrdom though. I guess I'll have to get used to throwing grenades back :lol

RSTEIN

$1148 Jack said:
Yep, I was shooting from the hip (crouched) and wasn't doing too much damage. I'll swap out aim for stopping power and see how it goes with the M16. Thanks for the help.

Edit: I just got a few UAV and airstrike abilities for streaks, this game rocks. I hate matyrdom though. I guess I'll have to get used to throwing grenades back :lol

Yeah, shooting from the hip is a lot less accurate. Do you have red dot yet? After you get the red dot the M16 owns.

Ah... dropping grenades after you die - that perk has a lot of controversy around it. I don't mind it at all, but I'm more of a rifleman than a run & gun submachine guy. I don't use the perk myself.

Oh yeah, wait until you call in a heli. You'll feel like a hero! :D

xbhaskarx

Does anyone have any idea how juggernaut compares to stopping power?
Are they the same in terms of percentage increase to health and damage?
What are the reasons for picking one over the other?

woodchuck

yeah, i primarily use:

M16 w/ red dot
Claymore/3 grenades depending if i play search and destroy or team deathmatch
Stopping Power
Deep Impact

If it happens to be a smaller map like Vacant, i might use the G36C w/ red dot.

RSTEIN

xbhaskarx said:
Does anyone have any idea how juggernaut compares to stopping power?
Are they the same in terms of percentage increase to health and damage?
What are the reasons for picking one over the other?

I don't know if they work out to be the same (e.g. 20% increase for damage or 20% increase to your health).

I don't use the health perk because I'm not a run & gun player. I use strategic locations and I keep movin to avoid death. I'd much rather have the ability to kill someone more quickly than have the ability to die less quickly by their bullet. If they find me before I find them then I'm dead anyways, regardless if I have a bit more health.

woodchuck said:
yeah, i primarily use:

M16 w/ red dot
Claymore/3 grenades depending if i play search and destroy or team deathmatch
Stopping Power
Deep Impact

IMO, this is an unbeatable combination. As discussed previously in the thread, there is really no incentive to use any other combination (unless you're a balls out, run & gun, corridor hunting guy). The sniper rifles are a bit gimped and can take 2 or 3 shots to kill anways. The M16 has super accuracy even from like 300-400 meters away.

xbhaskarx

RSTEIN said:
I'd much rather have the ability to kill someone more quickly than have the ability to die less quickly by their bullet. If they find me before I find them then I'm dead anyways, regardless if I have a bit more health.

Okay, same here, for the same reasons.

IMO, this is an unbeatable combination. As discussed previously in the thread, there is really no incentive to use any other combination (unless you're a balls out, run & gun, corridor hunting guy). The sniper rifles are a bit gimped and can take 2 or 3 shots to kill anways. The M16 has super accuracy even from like 300-400 meters away.

Yeah, the M16 seems too powerful.

Sniper rifle:
2-3 shots, even with the 50 cal?
Not if they're head shots, right?

pr0cs

RSTEIN said:
I tried it but I just didn't like the semi-auto. I find I'm more a fan of the LMGs where I can throw clouds of bullets at my targets which gives someone like me with limited skills a better chance of getting some points.

I find the sniper weapons really underpowered, so much so that I can't see myself getting any of the upgrades to them honestly.
I like the shotguns but there seem to be so few maps where they're useful that I rarely pick them.

I also find that once the tide of battle starts to run it's REALLY difficult to dig yourself out of a hole. Once you have 2 guys on the opposing team constantly getting kills from copters and airstrikes it's really difficult to come back and win the game. This to me is the biggest problem with the multiplayer. Overall it's really great though, more fun that Halo3 TBH.

~Devil Trigger~

In favor of setting Muslim women on fire
thank god Snipers are underpowered cuz them Camos work:lol , i cant see shit sometimes, and there's alot of good sniping spots in this game.

i stair at the grass for a 2 seconds and realize its ALIVE but its too late for me:lol

~Devil Trigger~ said:
thank god Snipers are underpowered cuz them Camos work:lol , i cant see shit sometimes, and there's alot of good sniping spots in this game.

i stair at the grass for a 2 seconds and realize its ALIVE but its too late for me:lol

:lol :lol :lol same for me. I look like a moron on killcam.

Frillen

I've really picked up my play lately. My Kill ratio is now 1.92 (3709 kills & 1931 deaths). Level 44.

Using:

M16 w/ Red Dot
Frag X3
Stopping Power
Martyrdom (3-4 kill on average per match)

Anyway, what's your two most favorite maps and the two you dislike the most?

My favorites are Pipeline & Crash. I really dislike both District and Overgrown.

Frillen said:
Anyway, what's your two most favorite maps and the two you dislike the most?

My favorites are Pipeline & Crash. I really dislike both District and Overgrown.

I love crossfire right now. I'm not a fan of downpour.

eibboR

Banned
xbhaskarx said:
Is there any chance DLC for this game includes not just new maps, but new weapons?
I knew I wouldn't be the only one to hope for this! There are so many fantastic modern day weapons they can add into the game that my mind is about to explode just thinking about it.

I like to rotate my weapons

M16 + RDS for regular Matches
M14 + RDS for any hardcore matches

M14 with stopping power is 1 hit 1 kill on Hardcore. Saves my accuracy too :D

joelseph

My favorite kit:

M4 + Red Dot
Bandoleer
Stopping Power
Deep Impact

Sure it is a little "spammy" at range but it gets the job down and totally rips it up in close quarters.

kevm3

Thank God the sniper rifles are underpowered. I can't stand games where the whole other team is sitting inside various high buildings sniping. The pace is way too slow and agitating. I also wish the bomb squad perk allowed for quiet disabling of bombs, although it would take some time, sort of like the 'disarm bomb' on search and destroy. It's a bit unfair that people get to cover doorways with bombs and they are automatically warned to your presence no matter what you do.

eibboR

Banned
Does anyone play this game competitively ala GameBattles? I feel I'm a rare breed. I've been around the scene for a couple years now, mainly on CS 1.6.

Tunesmith said:
After 20 or so tries I ended up going
prone inside the left most ticket queue hut after having killed the first wave off the nearest chopper as they slid down the rope. That way no enemies appeared to know where I was and left me alone for the whole fight. Thanks to grenade explosions not going through walls you're completely safe, and any stray grenades that happen to bounce into the door can easily be thrown back out again.
:)

That level was absolutely insane.
Staying out in the open is just not an option. You will get overwhelmed. After about 2 hours of constant dying, I found the best course of action is before the helicopter troops touch down, to run towards the building with the glass walls, behind that there is an apartment building with a room that you can enter. That is as good as place to set up a defensive position as anywhere on the map. Make sure to pick up a RPD. You have to get there before the helicopter troops touch down, or bad guys will spawn from the room. Get to the room, and take a position right next to the doorway, and you'll be able to snipe the solders as they are running towards you. Eventually though, there will be too many and that's when you need to use your RPD and flashbangs.

RSTEIN

kevm3 said:
Thank God the sniper rifles are underpowered. I can't stand games where the whole other team is sitting inside various high buildings sniping. The pace is way too slow and agitating. I also wish the bomb squad perk allowed for quiet disabling of bombs, although it would take some time, sort of like the 'disarm bomb' on search and destroy. It's a bit unfair that people get to cover doorways with bombs and they are automatically warned to your presence no matter what you do.

Yes but there has got to be a balance. They put sniper rifles in the game for a reason. You cannot make a military game with real-world weapons and not have the sniper rifles work as they should. Fine, CoD is a bit more arcadey than R6:V. I'm not expecting them to model the recoil/fire rate/reload time perfectly. But there has to be a middle ground. I love sniping in games. It's very rewarding. I also love hunting snipers when I'm not a sniper. The M16 is simply too accurate/too powerful and the sniper rifles too inaccurate/not powerful enough. It's that simple.

Carl2282

Most of my matches I stick with the m-16, I think its the best gun in the game matched with a red dot and stopping power.
Other than that the mp5 with a silencer and double tap works wonders close up.

The mp is so damn addicting I've done prestige twice and halfway to the third time through.
....love my shame badges :D

Top Bottom