• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare |OT| House of CODs

Calabi

The single player made me laugh when, Kevin Spacey
just comes out and says "Yes, I am the bad guy" in front of the United Nations, "I built a virus, Fuck you all!" Its cheesy but good.

I never played COD multiplayer before its crazy, love the exo suit, double jumping around.

The game has been playing better today. I've been using the IMR and its a great gun, as well Momentum is fantastic. I've been getting 40+ kills a round defending and taking flags.

I'm up to a .95 KDR.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
unless the game takes a nose dive on the second half (Im up to Sentinel), this is the best COD since COD4 imo, im loving it

(I mean strictly campaign wise, I dont "do" multiplayer)

CozMick

Banned
So are there any noticeable differences between Xb1 and PS4? I don't know which one to get.

PS4 is full 1080p/60fps/v-synced

X1 is 1320x1080/60fps/ w/ occasional screen tearing

Both have the same textures, shadows and geometry, from seeing both the x1 version is quite noticably blurrier, but that is side by side.

That's not the kind of game I want to play. When I'm doing great it feels like the game is giving me a huge advantage and when I'm not it feels like the game is giving me a huge disadvantage.
Every COD multiplayer has felt like this to me. Is this new one really any different?

unless the game takes a nose dive on the second half (Im up to Sentinel), this is the best COD since COD4 imo, im loving it

Yeah, I can agree with this. The high review scores got me to look into it and bite - seems to have my favorite aspects of the Infinity Ward CODs. Enemy AI has pixel perfect aim from any range and will shoot you through walls before seeing you - those aspects bring it down but that's not really something new. Playing on PS4 and the visuals and performance has been great.

On my first playthrough, brilliant pacing so far, beautiful visuals, sublime smoothness to the gameplay and visuals that I haven't felt in COD ever before on consoles. Also is anyone here facing weird audio-lipsync issues when Gideon or ILona are talking? The voice-over audio plays out first and then the characters are moving their lips. This happened very early on in the game.

E92 M3

Why is everyone talking about MW2 now like it was some sort of pinnacle of multiplayer gaming? That game was even stupider with lightweight, marathon, commando players and non-stop killstreaks in the air.

Because that shit is fun! Maps were among the best in the series (one of the most important things) and there was so much craziness going on that everything balanced out. Not everything has to be balanced and fair - video games aren't Fox News ;)

I feel as if after MW and MW2, no multiplayer game has had a majority of the maps included to be good. Am I just blinded by nostalgia or are multiplayer maps just sucking? Pretty much any game from the cod series after those will have maybe 2 good maps and the rest are unnoteworthy or are just bad.

It's the truth. Those 2 games had fantastic maps - it's what kept me playing. For the most part, Titanfall also has fantastic maps. So, it's easy to see where the skill went.

I can't get over how bad snipers are in this game. They have insane sway, the time it takes to both raise the sights and stabilize them by holding your breath is huge, the small maps don't do sniper users any favors, and to top it all off, it's hitmarkers galore whenever you get lucky enough to actually hit someone.

Coming from Ghosts, which had superb snipers, this is such a step backwards. Also disappointed that they didn't use the neat effect from Ghosts while using the optics, in which only the sight itself zoomed in, as opposed to having the whole screen zoom in.

This has bugged me as well. I'm no camper but I'm Ghosts it was great to get a sniper rifle and camp from time to time. Me And my friend against 16 bots was so much fun especially with the satisfaction of a one shot kill.

I am loving the change in AW, but really feel let down by the last of hiding spots and seemingly the nerfed snipers

Sciortino

Just completed the campaign. Safe to say its one of the best ones they've every made imo, Story was obviously predictable but almost each mission was fun to play.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
So, I picked this game up on PC and have been playing a bunch of multiplayer. Team Deathmatch is a horrible experience but Domination is a lot more fun. Still, I've been bouncing back and forth between Counter-Strike: GO and this and I just... I don't think I understand COD at all? It feels like it's trying to make you play strategically by keeping key locations covered, but then people can just kill you randomly from anywhere due to how respawns work. In CS:GO there is significant value to predicting enemy movements, and it just doesn't feel like it's there in this game.

Here's the thing; if everyone played as a team, knew what they were doing, and communicated, Domination would be a whole other experience. The problem is everyone runs around, lone wolf style, trying to capture everything, but the smarter teams don't do that. I've been against teams that played as a unit because they controlled our spawn point by allowing us to keep either A or C. They'd simply hang back and cover B, and the other location and it worked wonderfully.

I've never played CS (want to some day), but in the case of CoD, the great game is in there. It's just a line wolf k/d ratio happy fanbase that keeps matches from their full potential.

BokehKing

Banned
The love for mw2 and it's broken gameplay is disgusting, just goes to show people rather have super basic easy kills then actually Idk.. Aiming a gun anywhere near their target to get a kill

Gorillaz

I've never played CS (want to some day), but in the case of CoD, the great game is in there. It's just a line wolf k/d ratio happy fanbase that keeps matches from their full potential.

The love for mw2 and it's broken gameplay is disgusting, just goes to show people rather have super basic easy kills then actually Idk.. Aiming a gun anywhere near their target to get a kill
i actually blame MW2 for making the fanbase as toxic as it is today. As much as I enjoyed it infinity ward had really no understanding of their fanbase.

Alienous

My favourite part about the campaign is how the sole female character of note within the story doesn't get to wear a helmet ever because she has a pretty face.

It's particularly hilarious when said female character
is holding her breath for ages in ice-water.

One step forwards and two steps back.

Hugstable

Banned

The second half goes by much quicker and includes some of my favorite levels. Also I'm happy that they really didn't go the cheap deaths route, and the game isn't very hard at all even on Veteran. The last few chapters are some of my favorite though, especially Mission 14, the level before the finale.

I can't help but think that everyone who favors MW2 over COD4; never actually played COD4. That game is so much better than MW2 in terms of actual gameplay, maps, and kill streaks. The less, the better.

cameltoe

This is easily the worst MP COD in the series, hands down awful...There is nothing exciting about it at all and the connection is downright offensive!

ryseing

I can't help but think that everyone who favors MW2 over COD4; never actually played COD4. That game is so much better than MW2 in terms of actual gameplay, maps, and kill streaks. The less, the better.

3-5-7 will always be the best. Kinda wish AW had gone that route.

Here's the thing; if everyone played as a team, knew what they were doing, and communicated, Domination would be a whole other experience. The problem is everyone runs around, lone wolf style, trying to capture everything, but the smarter teams don't do that. I've been against teams that played as a unit because they controlled our spawn point by allowing us to keep either A or C. They'd simply hang back and cover B, and the other location and it worked wonderfully.

It's baffling to me how many people in pubs have no idea how to play domination. Even after I explain we only need two flags they still try and triple cap flipping the spawns constantly. No one in this game caps B I don't understand it's like my teammates want to loose.

I am glad people are enjoying the game but my personal opinions is that its pretty bad. I am full on in love with the way Destiny feels (moving, shooting, jumping) starting this was like a slap to the face.

I did not enjoy this game at all.

just my two cents. I hate to be "that" guy and I don't anyone thinking I'm shitting up this OT but I did play it and wanted my input in the OT.

I do like how much customization there is in MP now.

So after some testing on PS4, i come to find out i am constantly connected to choopa dedicated servers in North holland (i'm from belgium) with a ping of about 15ms avarage. Not bad.

Must be lag comp thats fucking me over constantly.

I bought the Sony Gold Headsets yesterday and just hearing my surroundings made me a better player. Hearing the soft foot steps behind me, gun fire in the distance just made me more situationally aware. They need a better sound mix for this game because I've never had to wear headphones to be more aware. The footsteps can only be heard with headphones.

E92 M3

Yes, it's so disgusting to like a video game you disagree with. Oh no people like some crazy shit in their video game - what has the world come to? Someone please think of the children.

I liked both equally for different reasons.

Daffy Duck

So after some testing on PS4, i come to find out i am constantly connected to choopa dedicated servers in North holland (i'm from belgium) with a ping of about 15ms avarage. Not bad.

How do you test it? I'd like to do the same

geordiemp

Are you sure that's not just the location of the matchmaking COD server...

.and when you play you are still connected to a player host (listen server) with biased comp for poor connection players...

Nokterian

Wait there are dedicated servers now? Also on PC?

Silky

Banned
So it's a double xp weekend. I got a double exp consumable drop. Do they stack?

Have yet to experience lag. 360 version is pretty stable.

BSsBrolly

Banned
I really don't like that this looks like blops... I'm not a fan of its water colory, cartoonish look. In fact that's one of my biggest complaints about BLOPS.

IISANDERII

No sir. I agree about the kill streaks but definitely not the maps, gameplay, netcode or anything else but the campaign.

COD4 mp was brilliant and MW2 brought it up a notch where the different styles were expanded to more extremes. The runner could now stab from 3m away, the camper could resupply his claymore, snipers had thermals, the CQC could now dual wield. Everybody had a more powerful arsenal including you. Everything was just raised.

Going back to COD4 felt a bit stale where everything felt weak in comparison. Shooting was still fun and COD4 is probably a more pure shooter, but it did not have the depth that comes with the amplification of the different styles.

Many people prefer COD4 because it's more of a pure shooter and that's not surprising. There are many people who liked MW2 much more.

BokehKing

Banned
COD4 mp was brilliant and MW2 brought it up a notch where the different styles were expanded to more extremes. The runner could now stab from 3m away, the camper could resupply his claymore, snipers had thermals, the CQC could now dual wield. Everybody had a more powerful arsenal including you. Everything was just raised.
You just described a majority of the things that I feel ruined the game, further cementing that IW was only able to strike gold once with COD4
You call it raising it up a notch, I call it jumping the shark, they should have saved the bs for COD10 when all hope was lost, turn it into a circus

We won't even get into how the maps on mw2 pale in comparison

Top Bottom