• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare |OT| House of CODs

Of all the videos I've seen over the last few days, this one takes the cake.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LxGgPiToaTM

There's an overwhelming number of videos floating around showing the current state of MP. Reddit, the official Xbox, PlayStation and CoD forums are overflowing with people complaining about the both the lag and awful gameplay mechanics.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fyh3OsvfLiY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LxGgPiToaTM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GX3ydIH0Faw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OsDZPE4BKn8

Duxxy3

A bad game will always be a bad game, a broken game can be fixed. Arguably.

The only reason I'm holding onto AW is because I think it is a broken game, not a bad one. If it was a bad game it wouldn't be sitting on my shelf, it would be traded in towards GTAV.

In the mean time I'll have a few more days of Diablo 3 and then Halo comes out. Hopefully AW is fixed before I finish my Halothon (halo campaigns) so I can go back to AW.

legacyzero

Banned
I think I've decided that I'm only going to play CLASSIC playlists from here on out. I have a much better time with it.

With the Exo movements, all it does it take out any kind of map control, and severely diminishes situational awareness. I think the Exo mechanic would have been better served with bigger, more open maps, perhaps?

Also, this game has lag ALL OVER THE FUCKING PLACE. Killcams are different than what it seems actually happens (more-so than any other COD). I'll get hit with was seems to be only one bullet, but then watch the killcam and see that somebody was emptying an entire magazine. Hell, even the killcam shows massive lag. Dudes are warping all over the place. Red dots every where.

Activision, you fucking make BILLIONS on these games. BILLIONS. There's no excuse for not having dedicated servers for this shit.

This is quickly turning into a trade-in, I'm afraid.

FeD.nL

It says that on that perk you lose all ammo in the mag when you use it.

What perk? I first thought that was it too but it's defitely a bug, just had a match where I reloaded normally only to lose the whole mag the next time While I was not double tapping reload

The Beard

The most frustrating part is, there's a really fucking awesome game in there, but the the shitty online performance is fucking it up.

Ghosts sucked major balls, so I didn't think twice about trading it in after 1 week. I'm not trading in AW because I really like it. I just hope the online issues can be fixed sooner than later.

Edit: Derp, I bought a digital copy, so trading it in obviously isn't an option. However I could ask for a refund like I did with MLB The Show, but AW has a shitload of potential.

jeffc919

The only reason I'm holding onto AW is because I think it is a broken game, not a bad one. If it was a bad game it wouldn't be sitting on my shelf, it would be traded in towards GTAV.

In the mean time I'll have a few more days of Diablo 3 and then Halo comes out. Hopefully AW is fixed before I finish my Halothon (halo campaigns) so I can go back to AW.

I do think there's a solid game behind the ugly net code problems. Even if I had bought a physical copy and had the option to sell it I'd still be hanging onto it for a while hoping they fix it.

The spawns in this game are some of the sketchiest shit I've ever seen.

Spawn in the same room with enemies.
And freaking revenge spawns are the absolute worst thing,
kill a guy spawns right next to you then kills you, spawn near him kill him, repeat. It goes on for a solid 4 minutes.

I was in a game that was only 3v3 with no Exo mobility and it was still doing that crap.

Damn, looks like the honey moon phase is over. Lots of complaints about the awful spawn logic this game has, as well as the lag. Those two things need to be fixed before I hop back on.

CoLaN

I want to know why they did a terrible job with the sound in this game. I cant hear footsteps from anyone when they are behind me.

If you make a game with a ridiculously short time to kill, you should at least make decent audio and netcode.

Jarrod38

Sometimes the spawns are so bad I feel like I can prevent my own death. They're ridiculously awful.

Last night on Ascend I spawned right behind a teammate who was in the process of getting killed and in return I got killed letting him take two tags from us. Then once I spawned I was basically right around him.

legacyzero

Banned
This is also why I hate small maps. How can you hope to have spawn logic any where close to right, when you have such little space to do it.

I'm no programmer, so I'm just using common sense here :p

Damn, looks like the honey moon phase is over. Lots of complaints about the awful spawn logic this game has, as well as the lag. Those two things need to be fixed before I hop back on.
Funny how things change.

I got the game a few days late and was reading lots of glowing reports on here and thinking OK maybe Sledge did OK. Got it and wasn't overly impressed, and it seems the tonal tide has changed to be negative.

Thinking about it and the payback spawns - I said earlier how at least it wasn't as bad as MW3 launch and then I remembered. Sledgehammer worked on that game, and I think MP was their focus.

So that explains a lot.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Spawn in the same room with enemies.
And freaking revenge spawns are the absolute worst thing,
kill a guy spawns right next to you then kills you, spawn near him kill him, repeat. It goes on for a solid 4 minutes.

I was in a game that was only 3v3 with no Exo mobility and it was still doing that crap.

It's pretty shocking how commonly I'll spawn and straight up see an enemy in my line of sight. I'm mainly playing Kill Confirmed and got a triple kill off people that just spawned right in my active gun fire. Like, goddamn.

It's a shame because that + the netcode issues are a huge turnoff on what has a lot of potential.

RS4-

Still questioning on why they added revenge spawns in this game.

Gotta cater to the people that need instant gratification and quick no skill kills.

Has anyone experienced a lock-up in multiplayer? Been playing on PS4 pretty frequently since launch, and had two crashes in MP. Just a hard freeze, but not the system; I could still close the app and restart. Strange.

Had one a day or two ago, which happened after it took 20 seconds to spawn after death in TDM.

edit - I'd take COD4 spawning any day over this shit, I don't care if I'm being spawn camped, at least in 4, there were ways out.

This is also why I hate small maps. How can you hope to have spawn logic any where close to right, when you have such little space to do it.

I'm no programmer, so I'm just using common sense here :p

Some of these and Ghosts' maps are bigger than anything from COD4 which had absolutely no problems with spawns(besides Shipment obviously).

They started screwing with the spawn logic after COD4 "to get you back in the action sooner" and its been screwed in every game since.
Some eventually got slightly fixed like MW2, W@W, BO2.
MW3 and Ghosts weren't fixed, Ghosts they didn't even attempt to fix.

A key example of the bad spawn system is Stonehaven, probably the 2nd biggest COD map after Wasteland yet it would spawn you right there in the back corner of the map together.

Jblanks

Some of these and Ghosts' maps are bigger than anything from COD4 which had absolutely no problems with spawns(besides Shipment obviously).

They started screwing with the spawn logic after COD4 "to get you back in the action sooner" and its been screwed in every game since.

A key example of the bad spawn system is Stonehaven, probably the 2nd biggest COD map after Wasteland yet it would spawn you right there in the back corner of the map together.

MW2 were bad also , a lot of it had to do with the constant OP killstreaks.

Upinsmoke

The maps are so easy to traverse with the exo suit coupled with the horrible spawns anyway, it's just not fair. If you get a kill off a spawn it feels hollow and when you die it angers you. There's just no satisfaction when that occurs.

I know they've got classic playlists but I want to play the game how it should be played.

Gorillaz

Its basically a "revenge kill" spawn that they set up for the past few years

I'm going to pick this up tomorrow.

The only question is ...... will I get destroyed because I waited?

How hard is it for new players to get into this?

leng jai

Funny how things change.

I got the game a few days late and was reading lots of glowing reports on here and thinking OK maybe Sledge did OK. Got it and wasn't overly impressed, and it seems the tonal tide has changed to be negative.

Thinking about it and the payback spawns - I said earlier how at least it wasn't as bad as MW3 launch and then I remembered. Sledgehammer worked on that game, and I think MP was their focus.

So that explains a lot.

Always take the first week impressions with a grain of salt. Neogaf and the internet in general are terrible at containing their hype for the first few days.

RS4-

And why the fuck is it ok for people to join a ranked game mid match.

Decided to check it out and all of a sudden I'm in a game where the player count is 6-3 and the score is already 0-3

LowParry

Always take the first week impressions with a grain of salt. Neogaf and the internet in general are terrible at containing their hype for the first few days.

I think a majority here still enjoy the game. The game is great. What's holding it back is the bad netcode. Hopefully we'll see this fixed soon.

Suirrad

Finally got the game and have played a few hours. Only multiplayer so far, but I am liking it. No complaints about lag right now but the TTK is super low :(

RedAssedApe

Banned
hmm...how come i only seem to get supply drops after dying? lol

also...everyone on ps4 seems to have garbage mics. voice quality of the other players is almost always bad or there is some annoying ambient noise, buzz, hiss, etc. :\

not to mention there's that annoying thing that happens when someone is trying to speak during loading and then it cuts out and you just hear this stuttering sound that is painful to the ears.

hmm...how come i only seem to get supply drops after dying? lol

also...everyone on ps4 seems to have garbage mics. voice quality of the other players is almost always bad or there is some annoying ambient noise, buzz, hiss, etc. :\

not to mention there's that annoying thing that happens when someone is trying to speak during loading and then it cuts out and you just hear this stuttering sound that is painful to the ears.

Probably using the crappy default mic that came with the PS4

BokehKing

Banned
This, die, come back, die to 4 different killstreaks reigning hell from the sky, or try taking one of those things out, only to get shot by someone

Blops1 did it right, they gave the kids their killstreaks but also gave use those turrets that shot things out the sky as a killstreak

DryvBy

Glad I read comments today. I was going to pick this up for my dad and myself. I guess I'm skipping this entry of Call of Duty too.

Im enjoying the crap out of the game, but with that said. The hit detection needs some urgent fixing. Net code is utter shit. I have faith that Sledge will fix the game.

Eh, it could be at times but it was still better than the others.
Only map that was unplayable because of it was Rust but I still enjoyed it in 3rd person mode.

Ghosts shows how much better MW2 was because 2 somewhat decent maps(Scrapyard and Favela) were completely ruined by the spawns.

Glad I read comments today. I was going to pick this up for my dad and myself. I guess I'm skipping this entry of Call of Duty too.
I wouldn't completely write it off yet, check back in a few weeks or a month.
This is definitely the best COD in years it just has alot of technical problems that need fixing(that could easily be fixed it just depends if Sledgehammer gives a crap)

IISANDERII

Bad spawning in W@W? I don't remember that at all, in fact my favourite map was Dome, one of the tiniest maps ever in a COD where things could've been terrible if it had bad spawning. I also remember the spawning in MW2 was amazing in that it often put you right around the corner from your team who were engaged in a big firefight.

Llyrwenne

Unconfirmed Member
I got an Elite version of the ARX-160 with +3 Damage ( making it a one-burst-kill ) and it can still only barely compete with the full-auto assault rifles... That's messed up.

IconGrist

I'm having such a hard time continuing to like this game. Got the Day Zero version and for 2 days it was amazing. Now I can barely get bullets to register, when they do it feels like it takes 3 times the amount of hits to kill an enemy than it does for me to die, I lose just about ever 1v1 I come across, boost dodging is worthless since I somehow die anyway (killcam shows I died before I even tried to boost), when an enemy boosts sometimes they just vanish, or my favorite, shoot one guy only to die because his buddy spawned literally right behind me.

I don't remember Ghosts aggravating me this much.

DryvBy

Eh, it could be at times but it was still better than the others.
Only map that was unplayable because of it was Rust but I still enjoyed it in 3rd person mode.

Ghosts shows how much better MW2 was because 2 somewhat decent maps(Scrapyard and Favela) were completely ruined by the spawns.

I wouldn't completely write it off yet, check back in a few weeks or a month.
This is definitely the best COD in years it just has alot of technical problems that need fixing(that could easily be fixed it just depends if Sledgehammer gives a crap)

I'm not even a huge COD fan. I thought this one looked a lot different too. Right after I wrote that, I went and watched some videos. They're still stuck in MW2 land it looks like. MP doesn't look that good at all.

The Beard

I got an Elite version of the ARX-160 with +3 Damage ( making it a one-burst-kill ) and it can still only barely compete with the full-auto assault rifles... That's messed up.

Seriously, burst and semi-auto rifles are completely useless in this game. There's really no reason to use any other weapon besides the first AR you start off with (BAL), because it's arguably the best gun in the game.

SMG's are useless because the BAL can hipfire with the best of them, it has superior range and damage, and it barely slows you down. There's really no reason not to Prestige anymore. You're as powerful at level 5 as you at @ level 50.

Top Bottom