• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare |OT| House of CODs

CozMick

Banned
Is exo zombies worth waiting for if I enjoyed the hell out of the others in the series or is it a completely different take on the game mode?

There just seems to be no talk of it at all :(

I have it on ps4 but don't play mp and its only 8 more days til the dlc drops.

Toa TAK

Banned
Is exo zombies worth waiting for if I enjoyed the hell out of the others in the series or is it a completely different take on the game mode?

There just seems to be no talk of it at all :(

I have it on ps4 but don't play mp and its only 8 more days til the dlc drops.
Yes. Here's my take on it since I'm on mobile and too lazy to write more. :p

It's fucking awesome and it's here to stay baby! Just finished my first game and we made it to round 25 with a group of randoms and mics. I was lucky.

The easter egg song is apparently "Ride of the Valkyries" (only the first part). I laughed when one of the guys put it on so quickly. More Elena Siegman or Kevin Sherwood this go around (which was expected).

The exo-zombies all have a variation to keep you on your toes. As you would expect, the lightning blue exo-zombie that temporarily disables your exo-suit is the most annoying. Second place for annoying would be the gassy green zombies that can infect you. If you're infected you must decontaminate yourself ASAP at the cost of $250. Zombie dogs are back, though they're nowhere near as frequent as their Treyarch counterparts. But they, too, come in the same variations as their exo-zombie friends. Like the Treyarch versions, the have a dedicated round to themselves. Same with the infected zombies, although they're mixed in with the rest.

To turn on the power you must... take two steps to your left and boom! Power on. Unlike Treyarch's maps, turning on the power can be the first thing you do and it's in the starting room with you. The exo-abilities are somewhat the same: Juggernaut, Speed Reload, Quick Revive, (though not by those names), and then a couple new ones such as Exo-Solider (I didn't use it, so I can't tell you what it does from firsthand experience), and Exo-Slam. The exo-suit makes things even more frantic as both you and the zombies are jumping around like maniacs. In some ways it makes it easier to run and evade getting hit and training zombies around isn't a big hassle. The bad part is, it's also easier to get caught in a corner or killed by a boosting crawler if you're not fast enough or don't think where you're jumping to. When you get downed, you DON'T lose your perks immediately like before. If your teammates are fast enough, you can keep everything! They just have to be quick enough. If not, you will lose a perk before you die off. And once you do, you lose it all. It's a big help in reaching those higher rounds. Some multiplayer equipment is here as well. They drop from the sky like they do in multiplayer and they're also a big help in early rounds (like the mobile turret) and provide great distraction later on (like the stationary turrets). It's great to see zombies in the AW universe to use the gameplay tools that CODAW provides.

Money doesn't seem to be a problem in Exo-Zombies. At least for me it wasn't. Even with four people shooting around everyone always had enough to get what they needed. Even upgrades and the perks above aren't as expensive as before. Plus, there are green terminals you can find that just give you $100. Upgrading guns is great. If you run out of ammo, you can upgrade for ammo as well as the boost in power and attachtments for your weapon. I carried an Uzi the whole game and upgraded it fully and it was fantastic. Upgrades cost you $2,500. But like I said, slaying zombies will take care of the work no problem. The 3D Printer is the new mystery box and costs $1000 and it's pretty cool. It operates the same as the mystery box and "malfunctions" to move somewhere else. There are maps across the level to show you where it is, though. No more looking up at the sky. Also, all the power ups are back, too, under different names of course, but you'll know them once you see them. There is a new one, Power Surge, which activates all the traps in the map. It's actually how we went down, the last man got killed between sliding doors. How anti-climatic.

The characters are pretty cool, too. The mode starts off with a cutscene (which isn't botched up like in the trailers). I was Malkovich Malkovich, and he's easily my favorite of the bunch. He's so out there with talking about "the war", food, and just general animosity towards his employer Atlas and the A.I. in an area of the map. Rose McGowan's character is fun, too, and has a back and forth with Malkovich. I can't say much for the other two, as I didn't hear any dialogue from them (that I remember). But it's Bill Paxton, how can he possibly suck? There IS an easter egg and narrative to the level, no doubt. Once you get the game over screen there is a dialogue between a woman in charge and someone else. In general, these characters are pretty chatty. But just like Treyarch's groups, it's in good fun and it's nice to see that AW isn't taking this as anything super serious.

Anyways, I was planning to make more clips, but you--zombies gets hectic and without a kinect to tell to record, I can't get away from the chaos on screen. Trust me, I'm not a good player, but I figured I'd leave these here to finish my impressions of my first game of Exo-Zombies:

Clip 1
Clip 2
Clip 3

shanafan

Why would they remove TDM? You can't just do that like it's the war playlist or something.

It's such a flat out joke.

I really like Advanced Warfare, but to remove TDM is just plain silly. Michael Condrey and the team at Sledgehammer can say till they are blue in the face "we listen to our fans and community", but we know that really means we only listen to guys like tmartn, Nadeshot, etc.

Toa TAK

Banned
It's such a flat out joke.

I really like Advanced Warfare, but to remove TDM is just plain silly. Michael Condrey and the team at Sledgehammer can say till they are blue in the face "we listen to our fans and community", but we know that really means we only listen to guys like tmartn, Nadeshot, etc.
Kinda reminds me of 343i.

I'm getting real sick of the YouTuber and "professional" communities having any weight in balancing and features for online shooters.

Just because something works better for you in a competitive environment doesn't mean it works better for the vast majority of people who play the game like normal people.

shanafan

I'm getting real sick of the YouTuber and "professional" communities having any weight in balancing and features for online shooters.

Just because something works better for you in a competitive environment doesn't mean it works better for the vast majority of people who play the game like normal people.

Agreed. It seems like you need to have a certain number of followers on YouTube or Twitter to be taken seriously with feedback.

eSports has really changed the COD community.

Picked this up on the psn sale. This is so good. Last COD I played was BLOPS and I've missed cod mp.

But man, the amount of customization is really overwhelming. Any videos that go over the pick 12 system. Its really confusing me. Like, what are wildcards and I'm not too sure how score streaks work tbh.

Also Kill Confirmed is GENIUS

zychi

Banned
Is there a ton of people on PS4 for this game? My Xbox account just got banned and I"m done with Microsoft products forever. Lost my digital games, which included this on x1 too. Trying to decide whether to buy this on psn on sale or steam for cheap

e: do either versions have ded serves? google isnt telling me anything
e2: fuck it bought it. my psn name is the same as my gaf name if anyone wants to add me. just throw gaf into the message

Daffy Duck

Amen to that!

It's bullshit, they cry like little babies that a gun is OP and it gets nerfed for the whole population.

I genuinely do think that eSports is what is ruining CoD, everybody wants to be the next OpticScroteBag/FazeBallBag.

For the first release since COD3, I didn't play right at launch. Can you guys give me a quick heads up on what the best guns currently are? I know ARs still dominate and everyone used the Bal at first, but I have no idea how nerfs have affected the game.

Basically, I just want to know what guns are currently used the most. I haven't played Call of Duty in over a year so I'm going to be rusty as hell. I want to use the noob guns at first until I get comfortable with the game again. I'm assuming it's like past games where 3-5 guns end up getting used the most.

Caffeine

Picked this up on the psn sale. This is so good. Last COD I played was BLOPS and I've missed cod mp.

But man, the amount of customization is really overwhelming. Any videos that go over the pick 12 system. Its really confusing me. Like, what are wildcards and I'm not too sure how score streaks work tbh.

Also Kill Confirmed is GENIUS
the customization of your operator is purely cosmetic apart from getting a variant weapon which has different stats from the get go.

wild cards just let you pick a second perk in one of the 3 tiers or a 4th score streak, basically what a wild card says is what it will do and that counts towards the pick 12 it basically means u can only pick 12 things for a class on that screen.

scorestreaks are like killstreaks but they add up your score when you kill someone you get 100 score when u get asists u also get a score and these scores add up to a streak u have selected. If you die you lose your progress toward that streak.

doing an objective based game mode like kill confirmed and domination etc can get u more score during a life for doing the objective like capturing a flag.

Any word on a bumper jumper control screen being patched in? I read a comment from the dev that they were looking at patching in a bumper jumper scheme, but that quote was from shortly after the launch of the game.

They've put out a few patches and still no bumper jumper so I was just curious if anyone read anything more recent.

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
It's funny how they're seemingly having so much trouble balancing everything, but a lot of the weapon variants are balanced pretty well against some of the stronger base weapons.

For example, if there weren't any variants, and the base ARX had the same stats as the Hole Puncher, it would be perfectly fine against the normal BAL or ASM1.

Nvzman

It's funny how they're seemingly having so much trouble balancing everything, but a lot of the weapon variants are balanced pretty well against some of the stronger base weapons.

For example, if there weren't any variants, and the base ARX had the same stats as the Hole Puncher, it would be perfectly fine against the normal BAL or ASM1.
I would agree but the Speakeasy kills everything.

Nvzman

Yeah that's the problem. It's got to be hard to balance the game when you create 5+ versions of each gun.
What I hate is that some guns have no good variants. See: Atlas 45
I had to use the base Atlas 45 to get diamond camo because the Huckleberry is liquid ass. Why you would want a gun that lowers damage (with pitiful damage to start anyway) is beyond me.

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
What I hate is that some guns have no good variants. See: Atlas 45
I had to use the base Atlas 45 to get diamond camo because the Huckleberry is liquid ass. Why you would want a gun that lowers damage (with pitiful damage to start anyway) is beyond me.

I went for Diamond everything in BOII, but there's no way I'm doing it in this game. I only have the AK12 diamond, and that was a pain in the ass.

Nvzman

I went for Diamond everything in BOII, but there's no way I'm doing it in this game. I only have the AK12 diamond, and that was a pain in the ass.
Opposite for me. I love BO1 and 2 more than anything but this is the first COD I actually went and bothered to get diamond/royalty for some guns (not assault/smgs, just pistols and shotguns).

Zero Hero

hi, is the mp on pc still alive? i am thinking of buying the game for the multiplayer. Just casual fun

It depends which game modes you prefer. I haven't found a match in ground war or ranked play in months. But you can always find matches on TDM, Domination, and Mosh Pit. I haven't looked in hardcore so I can't speak to that.

kiguel182

Amen to that!

It's bullshit, they cry like little babies that a gun is OP and it gets nerfed for the whole population.

I genuinely do think that eSports is what is ruining CoD, everybody wants to be the next OpticScroteBag/FazeBallBag.

I think the weird part of COD and esports is that the way COD sells and makes money is completely different from most esports titles, it clashes with that.

Ricker

It says on Steam now that its free to play until Sunday....what does this mean exactly...? is it free to play the single player till Sunday and then you have the option to just stop or buy the game...? I dont see any free options when I click the link,it goes to the normal buy screen...?

It says on Steam now that its free to play until Sunday....what does this mean exactly...? is it free to play the single player till Sunday and then you have the option to just stop or buy the game...? I dont see any free options when I click the link,it goes to the normal buy screen...?

If you go into your library you'll see it there, but only MP is available for the free weekend.

If you're still down just install it from there like normal.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
Just got this free on Xbox One so I jumped straight into SP Veteran. Is it my imagination or are the infinitely spawning enemies gone?

nortonff

Hi, I'm nortonff. I spend my life going into threads to say that I don't care about the topic of the thread. It's a really good use of my time.
Soooo...I just bought this on the PS sale.
It will be my first time playing COD online.
Any tips for a total noob ?

What about the campaign ? It's worth it ?

Jaeger

Soooo...I just bought this on the PS sale.
It will be my first time playing COD online.
Any tips for a total noob ?

What about the campaign ? It's worth it ?

Campaign is very well done. Nice pacing. Tips for MP;

- Movement is key. I know you are gonna have an inch to double jump constantly, but don't. Gives away your position via radar and sound, and leaves you open on descent. But dashing in all directions is key (press jump then right away direction + SHIFT). Allows faster movement and superb dodging tactics.
- There are a nice handful of viable weapons. Base stats, the BAL-27, AK-12 and ASM1 are the best. Variants change things up a bit.
- Don't get rid of variants for XP without doing research. Alot of people (myself included) did this mistakenly. There is no real reason to level up crazy fast right now. And the variants (and rare armor pieces) are incredibly hard to get.

spyder_ur

Got this yesterday and running through the single player. Still really early but I really like the feel so far.

But...I'm stuck. Feel like an idiot but I can't get past the part with the bus chase. I jump on the roof of the car, tear the windshield off and toss that guy (cool), and then get an x prompt to hop back on the bus. But it doesn't work. Did it maybe 25 times, I'm pretty sure I'm not doing anything wrong because the other prompts are working fine.

Any thoughts/ideas?

RedAssedApe

Banned
Campaign is very well done. Nice pacing. Tips for MP;

- Movement is key. I know you are gonna have an inch to double jump constantly, but don't. Gives away your position via radar and sound, and leaves you open on descent. But dashing in all directions is key (press jump then right away direction + SHIFT). Allows faster movement and superb dodging tactics.
- There are a nice handful of viable weapons. Base stats, the BAL-27, AK-12 and ASM1 are the best. Variants change things up a bit.
- Don't get rid of variants for XP without doing research. Alot of people (myself included) did this mistakenly. There is no real reason to level up crazy fast right now. And the variants (and rare armor pieces) are incredibly hard to get.

i sold some elites when i first got the game and was working on that first and second prestige...i know better now...sigh

Nvzman

Got this yesterday and running through the single player. Still really early but I really like the feel so far.

But...I'm stuck. Feel like an idiot but I can't get past the part with the bus chase. I jump on the roof of the car, tear the windshield off and toss that guy (cool), and then get an x prompt to hop back on the bus. But it doesn't work. Did it maybe 25 times, I'm pretty sure I'm not doing anything wrong because the other prompts are working fine.

Any thoughts/ideas?
I had the exact issue too.
My suggestion is to literally spam the shit out of the X button before and during the final prompt.

I'm so addicted to the multiplayer, but I'm never buying a game from these clowns again. The PC version is a complete fiasco, and it is always patched well after the other versions despite it being the one platform with no restrictions.

FFS the laser still does more damage on PC because it is tied to frame rate. Every match for months I'm getting instagibbed by this thing.

I bought season pass on day one and I still can't access the ae4 because it says I don't have season pass.

They said there would be dedicated servers and there are none.

There is an epic amount of hackers.

Every single time I go to play the game I have to log in 10 or so times before it works.

I never bought a Call of Duty game before. I didn't realize that there is no follow through with patching and support despite charging top dollar. Shit heads.

There are, but the netcode is so bad you can't tell. Apparently there is a base delay of about 100ms. Even when playing a local split screen match.

I stand corrected lol.

It bums me out because underneath all of the Activision bullshit there is a pretty great jalopy of a multiplayer game. It feels like Tribes set in a snow globe. Whatever. Maybe the long-promised patch will fix more than it breaks.

Top Bottom