• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare |OT| House of CODs

Did they give your favourite game a bad review or something?

No, they just come off as pricks who hate on everything or love something to death, there's no middle-ground. They also don't put very much thought into the content they post. They were really a joke up until the past few months when their game reviews consisted of two or three paragraphs and told you nothing beyond whether they loved something or hated it. Have you watched some of the joke videos they post or listened to their podcast? I just can't take them seriously. Though I'm getting to feel that way about most gaming websites these days that act like they have any kind of journalistic integrity. Everyone just acts like a fanboy these days.

Was really considering getting back into COD after dedicating most of my teenage years to COD4 and a few months to BLOPS2 but I've seen a few headlines saying zombies are only included in the season pass. Is that similar to the previous DLC zombie maps or is the entire game mode limited to season pass owners?

JLeack

Banned
No, they just come off as pricks who hate on everything or love something to death, there's no middle-ground. They also don't put very much thought into the content they post. They were really a joke up until the past few months when their game reviews consisted of two or three paragraphs and told you nothing beyond whether they loved it or hated it. Have you watched some of the joke videos they post or listened to their podcast. I just can't take them seriously. Though I'm getting to feel that way about most gaming websites these days that act they they have any kind of journalistic integrity. Everyone just acts like a fanboy these days.

Yup. I'm 100% behind you. I'm not even going to click that review.

On Demand

Banned
there's already a full-blown co-op mode in the game. zombies is most likely just an extension of that survival mode. never really cared for the co-op modes...but i guess it sucks for those who do?

Treyarch COD's never charged extra for their Zombies. The DLC's were of course money, but the game always has the mode there. Or is this not a full blown Zombies like Treyarch's?

anyhow...i'm more annoyed that gorge requires you to buy the season pass instead of just including it with all day-0 purchases like they did in previous years with nuketown 2020 or freefall

there is a "day-0" pre-order version that releases a day early. not sure if you can just walk into a store and pick it up? also digital might still be available for pre-order.

The limited editions come with the map.

They have done that a couple of times of late, publishers not liking their output ? The editor comes across as a bit of a snarky twat on Twitter imo.
Quite a few outlets don't go to review events anymore, which is a good thing imo. So they can do the same thing as Videogamer did and post an early review with a bought copy.

Menome

No, I get that, the bad guy here is definitely Activision for trying to control the message so tightly. But Videogamer still wins because they get their review out first and a shit ton of hits, the review still has a decent score bolted on so Activision won't mind too much, so the only people who're diminished by this are the reviewers who are obligated to honor the embargo. They played by the rules and came in second.

Not saying it's Videogamer's fault, though. They did what anyone would do.

Yeah, it's a tricky situation without an easy answer other than Activision being a bit more organised. Though on their side they've got to weigh up who it's actually "worth" sending review copies to. Videogamer's a medium-popularity site, who've just won a GMA award for their video content and so I think they are justified in expecting a review copy.

However, the site I wrote for, even if it hadn't been indie-focused, I wouldn't have expected to be eligible for a review-copy. It's got to be tough for whoever's in that position to know exactly whom to send these games to each time round.

I'm really interested to see the current online numbers tomorrow morning for both next gen consoles. This being the game that most people are going to purchase this year, I think that's the best barometer of how both consoles are doing so far.

I still remember over a million people being on the 360 version of Modern Warfare 2 the morning after release. Wonder what the numbers were for the PS3 version.

RedAssedApe

Banned
Treyarch COD's never charged extra for their Zombies. The DLC's were of course money, but the game always has the mode there. Or is this not a full blown Zombies like Treyarch's?

The limited editions come with the map.

treyarchs zombies modes are their co-op mode. AW already has its own co-op mode called exo-survial. whether or not its a full blown zombies mode in the DLC season pass or just zombie themed maps for exo-survival isn't clear.

alterno69

Banned
I'm really interested to see the current online numbers tomorrow morning for both next gen consoles. This being the game that most people are going to purchase this year, I think that's the best barometer of how both consoles are doing so far.

I still remember over a million people being on the 360 version of Modern Warfare 2 the morning after release. Wonder what the numbers were for the PS3 version.
There is no ay to tell how many players are online at the moment.

MrDaravon

There is no ay to tell how many players are online at the moment.

Oh wow really? Wonder if they did that deliberately to hide playercount being lower if all of the really low pre-order stories are true. You can still get on any of the past games and get a playercount, that's crazy.

RedAssedApe

Banned
That's still some shaky ethics if they're buying games they shouldn't be before release date and putting reviews up as quick as possible to get views. Just because they can doesn't mean they should.

if it helps breaks the whole midnight release embargo practice good. when a review is done you should be able to put it out. pretty sure many places have been sitting on their reviews for days. i understand from a business perspective but from a gamer/consumer perspective that shit is lame.

AHA-Lambda

Surprised at the videogamer hate, I really like them, I see them as a site where the people actually have some bloody balls.

Daffy Duck

Anyone in the UK stopping up to play their digital copy at midnight?

At my age I should be wrapped up with a hot water bottle but theres just something about Call of Duty that makes me all giddy.

even if 95% of the time the multiplayer is dog shit

I am, may stay up all night, then take the kids to school and collapse or carry on.....lol probably won't last until 3.

Surprised at the videogamer hate, if anything I like seeing a site where the people actually have some bloody balls.

Balls means alot of upset consumers who want the game they have preordered to be a 10/10 perfect game or they will claim that who ever wrote the review they and their site are idiotic morons who dont deserve respected opinions

a916

I don't take any COD review seriously if a reviewer spends more time talking about the campaign than the mutiplayer and if it works or not.

Ghosts had some horrifically designed maps that really killed any and all excitement for that game.

Nice to see Videogamer comment on the MP portion (albiet it was a very light and passing comment on the maps and guns)

Yes it does, this is there job? ogod the wine from some of you people...

So retailers are wrong for selling a game early but Videogamer isn't accountable for buying it early? Also, you're kidding yourself if you don't think they aren't doing this shit on purpose by now to get hits. If they followed the rules they'd be more respectable. That's all I'm saying. If you like it then good for you.

BokehKing

Banned
Ended up going ps4, it's almost done downloading

Meanwhile, my x1 has been downloading Ryse for like 3 days now, installing rather

Montresor

It's currently making it's rounds on Twitter and it has to be posted. What a hilarious screenshot of AW:

b1dlyizcyaayyth.jpg-muzbm.jpeg

That's a hilarious shot? It looks like it would be a nice moment - though who knows if the context is tasteful.

Goomba64

Banned
Lol good point.

Crazy how frantic this game is with the exos when somebody good is playing.
Yeah the guys one Tmarts stream weren't utilizing the exo suit very well at all. This Ricky guy has nearly 500 games played, hes got the best exo movements I've seen streamed so far.

a916

And does it skip frames from going over 60 again? Or conversely does it drop frames? Do we have to wait for the fucking embargo to be up to get Digital Foundry stuff?

To be fair, if people are really concerned about this, they can just, not buy it Day Zero and just wait to pick it up day of release.

alterno69

Banned
do we know what happens to his arm? is there a twist?
What do you mean, i played that part already

he gets a prostetic arm from Atlas, the company owned by Spacey which is the father of his friend, the guy who died in the first level, he is then hired by Atlas since he can no longer be in the army.

Top Bottom