• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Black Ops: Declassified |OT| Ad-Hoc Summary: It Is Not Terrible!

Cornbread78

It's probably safe to say that if you enjoyed Burning Skies, you'll enjoy this. Re-skinned game and all. Joking.
Kind of.

OK, I must say I laughed at that....
then cried like a baby in my cubicle
I have no idea what to think at this point. Kinda sad, maybe I'll just get it, and not play it for a looooong time. I have Little King's story and Rag Od. to keep me busy for a long time anyhow, then P4......I don't know.....

I wish they would just see it, but it looks like they are giving it the same treatment EA did with Medal of Honor to hide it until launch and jusr hope it sells on name only..... WTF.

Why are people buying both then?

Because we can? Two different games bro...

OK, I must say I laughed at that....
then cried like a baby in my cubicle
I have no idea what to think at this point. Kinda sad, maybe I'll just get it, and not play it for a looooong time. I have Little King's story and Rag Od. to keep me busy for a long time anyhow, then P4......I don't know.....

I wish they would just see it, but it looks like they are giving it the same treatment EA did with Medal of Honor to hide it until launch and jusr hope it sells on name only..... WTF.
just get it on sale later then lol. Those games you listed will last you a while.

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
I know it's their choice to take it on, but I kinda feel bad for Nihilistic - it's clear Activision and Sony weren't interested in high quality, just a cynical cash in on deadline to part people with their money . What an embarrassment - Vita deserves better. I wonder how the reviews will see it.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Seriously? Just twitter pictures?

Not like ATVI or Sony is giving info anywhere else.

Also OMG NO HEADQUARTERS. Are you fuckin' KIDDING me Sony/ATVI!?

*pre-order
I never pre-ordered
canceled*

Honestly am still surprised Activision allowed their brand to be treated this way. Sony must have paid a good amount up front and then nothing for development.

fernoca

Hey man arnt they basicly nearly the same game?
Nope.
-Overall (story wise) is set between Black Ops and Black Ops II.
-Gameplay wise it plays more like the first Black Ops in the aspect of weapons and gameplay (i.e. no futuristic stuff..or horses... :p).
-The multiplayer maps are all "new", but inspired by older maps (like NukeHouse been similar to NukeTown)
-There's no campaign, but short missions with story on it (that explains what happens between both games).

Or, what was said earlier about it, from Nihilistic:
“Declassified is not about the big campaign storyline and huge cinematics, it’s more focused on the multiplayer essence of Call of Duty and bringing that to a portable device as completely as possible, and in bringing short, objective-based missions and score-driven gameplay with lighter story elements to create what we call the Operations missions. Then adding in some bonus modes like Time Trials and Hostiles to make a product that delivers the core Call of Duty experience in a mobile package.”

About the story said:
The plot, he says follows Mason, Hudson and Woods directly after the events of Black Ops, and across the years leading up to Black Ops 2.
About single player "campaign" said:
The single-player campaign is made up of short covert missions that can be played in story mode, time trial or survival – which is just perfect for gamers on the go.
The single-player campaign consists of intense and replayable objective-based missions that allow you to get better and better over time to improve your performance. The goal is to give the player the experience of striving for the “perfect run” through each mission.”

Sporran

despite the negative love there will at least be 4 of us on line, if only we could get another 4 players got enough for a match!! :D

winjet81

Not sure why everyone's complaining about a lack of real story mode... isn't this what all the haters are saying when they don't want a console experience on the go?

Now they're getting EXACTLY want they think should be on a handheld: bite size, portable missions.

And it's going to sell well (which is also a huge focus of your typical Vita-troll).

Considering they basically charge console prices for Vita games, that seems fair. I guess if the game costs 33% less, it should have 33% less content. Blops 2 is going to be comprised of Single Player, Multiplayer and Zombie mode, right? From the getgo they are ditching zombie mode for Declassified (ie. 33% of the game), so for the price to be justified it should logically have an equally large single player campaign and the full multiplayer suite available in Blops 2, right? Or would you settle for less if it was your money?

I don't really care how it reviews. As a Vita owner, I would love for this to be a great game, but I can't say I have a ton of faith in Nihilistic, having played one of their previous games, and that is moreso what I was basing my score "prediction" on.

Console games are $60 Vita Games range from $20 to $40. Example, AC3 is $60 and AC:L was $36. So I don't think that is a valid reason at all.

I also have no faith in nil simply because of resistance.

Not sure why everyone's complaining about a lack of real story mode... isn't this what all the haters are saying when they don't want a console experience on the go?

Now they're getting EXACTLY want they think should be on a handheld: bite size, portable missions.

And it's going to sell well (which is also a huge focus of your typical Vita-troll).

Haters are just that... Haters. They will find reason to hate. There are already many games that are good for short play sessions. I don't see how completely eliminating a campaign instead of giving a choice is seen as a positive.

test_account

XP-39C²
Considering they basically charge console prices for Vita games, that seems fair. I guess if the game costs 33% less, it should have 33% less content. Blops 2 is going to be comprised of Single Player, Multiplayer and Zombie mode, right? From the getgo they are ditching zombie mode for Declassified (ie. 33% of the game), so for the price to be justified it should logically have an equally large single player campaign and the full multiplayer suite available in Blops 2, right? Or would you settle for less if it was your money?

I don't really care how it reviews. As a Vita owner, I would love for this to be a great game, but I can't say I have a ton of faith in Nihilistic, having played one of their previous games, and that is moreso what I was basing my score "prediction" on.
Yeah, i can see that point of view. Staticneuron already pointed out that Vita games usually doesnt cost what console games costs. But about Declassified, it will be $50, so it can be seen as much compared to i.e Black Ops 2 which is $60, only $10 more.

Personally i think that Activision should have priced it at $40 instead. I'm actually paying "$40" for it. Not directly converted from my currency, but i found it cheaper than what most Vita games cost. For example, it is a bit cheaper than what Assassins Creed Liberation cost here in Europe where i live, and that is a $40 game.

I would settle for less. The console versions of Call of Duty have given me an amazing value. I've played Modern Warfare 3 for almost 500 hours online multiplayer alone. And i can probably add around 25 - 30 hours on top of that with single player and spec ops mode. This is however unpresedented for me, so i cant really compare this value directly up towards other games that i might play for 10-20 hours in total. I dont expect to play Declassified for ~500 hours, but if i could get around 15-20 hours of entertainment from the game, i'd be happy with that :)

When i buy a game, i'm more focused on how many hours of entertainment i would get from it. It doesnt matter much to me if a game has i.e 5 maps or 20 maps. If i get 20 hours of entertainment from two games regardless of how much content they have, i value the hours of entertainment i get the most. It could be that the general focus in the reviews might be more on this rather than comparing the price and content to Black Ops 2. But i still have a feeling that the review scores will take a hit because of the content and pricetag compared to Black Ops 2.

A Metacritic score around 50 as you mention wouldnt surprise me to be honest. The game is also carrying the name 'Call of Duty', so there might be some higher expectations based on this as well.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
I'm sincere, I would have probably bought this game at $40. Perhaps even at $50 if it had a reasonable meaty SP campaign. But like this? :eek:

Kafel

Banned
Nihilists.jpg

Console games are $60 Vita Games range from $20 to $40. Example, AC3 is $60 and AC:L was $36. So I don't think that is a valid reason at all.

As another user pointed out, this is coming out at $50. That is console pricing if you consider the Wii to be a console. Expecting the same value you would get from a console game for the same price is not unreasonable. Regardless, if a person expects the same quality of game from Nihilistic as they get from Treyarch, I can't really help with that.

They can't even get the standard COD trophies right. No trophies for completing on Hardened or Veteran?

Those trophies/acheivements are garbage. Nobody wants to beat the same game 3 times, and close to nobody wants start the game on the hardest difficulty.

That goes for all games, not just COD.

Iacobellis

Those trophies/acheivements are garbage. Nobody wants to beat the same game 3 times, and close to nobody wants start the game on the hardest difficulty.

That goes for all games, not just COD.

I'm sure trophies on Call of Duty stack, so you only have to play on Veteran.

sajj316

Wow, what a trainwreck this will be...

To be fair a lot of the features users, including myself on twitter, asked for have been implemented as additive features though the iterative process. COD:MW to BLOPS2.

Hoping additional features are added via DLC, free and paid.

Iacobellis

To be fair a lot of the features users, including myself on twitter, asked for have been implemented as additive features though the iterative process. COD:MW to BLOPS2.

Hoping additional features are added via DLC, free and paid.

But who will be responsible for patches and DLC? Nihilistic is done.

sajj316

Nihilistic will exist until December. After that, Activision and Sony would have to contract nStigate or someone else to work on it.

So they may have a one or more patches lined up, at the least. Would love nStigate to take over ...

Confused nStigate with someone else .. Whoops!

Iacobellis

Nihilistic will exist until December. After that, Activision and Sony would have to contract nStigate or someone else to work on it.

Good question .. Depending on sales, maybe back to Activision .. or done by one of Sony's incubating studios.

I'd love to see Bend support it, even though they are more of a third person dev. Judging by Uncharted, they would excel in level design for eventual DLC.

Now Nihilistic make crap games and this will likely be no exception, but their PR side is definitely one of the best i've seen in gaming. Kind of shitty that they had to explain most of their game via Twitter due to Activision being stingy, but at least they bothered.

Takao

Banned
lol activision awknowledges it exists again:

http://community.callofduty.com/com...11/05/call-of-duty-black-ops-declassified-faq

What will the multiplayer and single player experiences be like on the Vita?

Call of Duty® Black Ops: Declassified complements the strengths of the Vita with both the multiplayer and singleplayer experience. The title offers an action-packed multiplayer mode that includes classic Call of Duty-style features like Create-a-Class, Challenges, Care Packages, Killstreaks, Perks, Prestiging, XP and more, all adapted for the Vita. Accommodating competitive 4-vs-4 multiplayer functionality via Wi-Fi, gamers can play in fan favorite Call of Duty modes across a variety of maps on the go. The single player mode delivers intense, objective-and survival-based missions that offer a new story, which takes place between Treyarch’s original Call of Duty®: Black Ops and this year’s upcoming Call of Duty®: Black Ops II.

Will this be a console-style Call of Duty® experience adapted for the Vita?

Yes. The development team has been focused on creating for the Vita the familiar mechanics and controls fans know and love from Call of Duty on console.

Will we see any gameplay features exclusive to Vita’s unique functionality?

Vita’s unique features allow the team to bring an all-new level of engagement, while maintaining the familiar and classic Call of Duty experience players expect.

Vita gamers can utilize Touchscreen capabilities with weapons like grenades. Drag the grenade to direct the toss, or simply cook a grenade until the last second before throwing. Players can also leverage Touchscreen for melee to deliver the ultimate knock-out. The title offers support of Near® technology for items like multiplayer load-outs, allowing players to send friends a boost wherever they are.

Will Declassified take place in the future?

No. Call of Duty Black Ops: Declassified is set between Treyarch’s original Call of Duty®: Black Ops and this year’s upcoming release Call of Duty®: Black Ops II. The Vita title delivers a new story inside the Call of Duty: Black Ops universe featuring some familiar faces.

Who is the developer on Call of Duty® Black Ops: Declassified?

Nihilistic Software.

When is the game launching?

November 13, 2012

Is the title exclusive to Vita?

Yes, Call of Duty Black Ops: Declassified is only for PlayStation® Vita.

But who will be responsible for patches and DLC? Nihilistic is done.

There probably won't be any.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Beautifully done OT.

It is so true that nearly all the info on this game, and most of it negative, was revealed through tweets by the dev.
I can't believe this game. How sad. What a missed opportunity.

Kazerei

Banned
There will be a day 1 patch, but probably nothing after that. Sounds like Nihilistic/nStigate have already moved on. And Sony/Activision don't seem to give a damn.

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
Is anyone here actually getting it?

Mine will be in the mail from Futureshop.ca a day or two after launch.
I'm getting that £230 bundle from GAME that has this, Fifa and Need For Speed in there. I'm now wondering just how bad this game can be. Surely it will at least be a passable shooter, right...right?

Top Bottom