• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Black Ops: Declassified |OT| Ad-Hoc Summary: It Is Not Terrible!

Duffyside

Banned
I can't believe how awful this game seems to be. This is the title that should have sold millions of Vitas this holiday. Sony had a Call of Duty game on a handheld, able to deliver it in a way a phone or a 3DS never could, and they totally dropped the ball.

Really, how do you not spend millions of dollars making sure this thing is good? Unbelievable.

kerrak

Maybe I'm old school but price is something I factor in when purchasing. I don't need a review doing that for me. Tell me your thoughts about the game in a constructive fashion. The pros and cons. Be consistent. Compare and contrast but do so with logical comparisons. Don't tell me it is or is not worth at select price.

This

I don't see that it had much to do with Sony to be honest. Also, have you played it? Price is a bit steep admittedly, but it's a pretty solid game.

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
I wonder if you guys actually know this for a fact, because the Modern Combat series actually have pretty featured rich multiplayers, and MC4 seems to up this another notch.
I have actually played modern combat, and a couple of other fps games back when I still had an ios device. Never knew how people find those games playable on a touch screen.

kerrak

I can't believe how awful this game seems to be. This is the title that should have sold millions of Vitas this holiday. Sony had a Call of Duty game on a handheld, able to deliver it in a way a phone or a 3DS never could, and they totally dropped the ball.

Really, how do you not spend millions of dollars making sure this thing is good? Unbelievable.

You know it's a game/ip owned by activision, right?

Game is lacking in content but it isn't awful. It isn't the CoD game the system needs though.

Z3M0G

That's all?
Too bad sony sent some of its developers to die, one example was zipper with mag and unit 13, good games but with no real single player campaign, now it's the turn of nihilistic forced to rush a cod game with basically no content.

Funny you say that when Nihilistic had this to say:

What did you learn from your experience developing Resistance: Burning Skies?
Robert Huebner: I think the biggest shift we made between the two was how we approached the single player mode. In Resistance, we tried to create a full story-driven single player mode that was similar to what players would get in a home console version, but ultimately, mobile players are looking for a different experience. Games like Unit 13 showed how a single player mode could be more mission-based and be effective and suitable for mobile play styles. We still wanted the single player to explore more of the Call of Duty lore, but we also realised that trying to out-story the console versions was not the right approach.

heringer

I have actually played modern combat, and a couple of other fps games back when I still had an ios device. Never knew how people find those games playable on a touch screen.

Seems to me that not being able to adapt to the interface it's not a problem with the game. The content is there for those able to enjoy it's control inputs.

Besides, you can always buy that Gameloft controller if that really is a problem. In the end it will be about the same price as buying CoD.

Spiegel

I'll be honest, this looks a lot better than I expected. Still, based on the amount of content in the game I don't want to pay full price for it, but I might consider picking it up for $20 or so.

Yeah.

They could've gotten away with this little content if it was a launch game but it's understandable to expect more content from games now, especially if it's priced at 50$.

Seems to me that not being able to adapt to the interface it's not a problem with the game. The content is there for those able to enjoy it's control inputs.
I don't think it's that simple. Even for someone who acclimates to touch controls for an FPS there is a skill ceiling that is significantly lower than the one that could be reached with dual analogs, let alone a mouse and keyboard. Can you imagine what would happen if those iOS players could compete with console players?

Touch controls are inferior for certain genres, that's really all there is to it. Some people are fine with that and still manage to enjoy the experience but some people can't look past it.

I've tried a few FPS on my iPhone and while they are playable I simply don't find them enjoyable because I always feel like I'm being held back by the controls.

heringer

I don't think it's that simple. Even for someone who acclimates to touch controls for an FPS there is a skill ceiling that is significantly lower than the one that could be reached with dual analogs, let alone a mouse and keyboard. Can you imagine what would happen if those iOS players could compete with console players?

Touch controls are inferior for certain genres, that's really all there is to it. Some people are fine with that and still manage to enjoy the experience but some people can't look past it.

That's not really a great justification because you could apply the same for PC vs consoles. "Could you imagine what would happen if those console players could compete with PC players?". Take away the auto aim and it would be a slaughterfest. Also, you should try FPS on tablets. It's much better yet still portable.

But like I said in my edit, if that's the only problem then just buy that Gameloft controller. It will cost about as much as buying CoD.

That's not really a great justification because you could apply the same for PC vs consoles. "Could you imagine what would happen if those console players could compete with PC players?". Take away the auto aim and it would be a slaughterfest. Also, you should try FPS on tablets. It's much better yet still portable.

But like I said in my edit, if that's the only problem then just buy that Gameloft controller. It will cost about as much as buying CoD.

I know what your saying but there are other factors.

When im playing on my vita I know everyone else is on the same system and having the same set up as me. They experience the same frame rate and the screen size etc etc.

I have played MC3 on my iphone. I was pretty impressed with it for what it is but the phone was always to small for me to get the true precision I wanted out of it. I found that online without the heavy auto aim on, it got pretty frustrating. Even with it on I would still get annoyed after a couple of games. I know other people out there I am playing against are using tablets and I would imagine its a lot easier to play on a tablet that the tiny iPhone screen. Il be getting a nexus 7 this weekend and if I see it on sale I might pick it up on that and see if I fair any better. However that imbalance does reduce the fun for me. I like people being on a level laying field.

Add to this that gameloft stick in some stupid stuff like buying kill streaks and that kinda ruins the game on another level. I would not be surprised if they were in MC4 as well.

Nova 3 has the same issues.

Anyway CoD BO:D def plays better and is more fun (to me at least) than MC3.

Touch screens also add other hurdles like only really being able to put two imputs at a time. Its very hard to aim and move and do anything else bar spray and pray. You can keep aiming while firing off very short bursts to keep your aim accurate for example.

Im definately not one to go LOL touch controls as I have happily played plenty of games on my iPhone but they really are not that suited to fast fps's. The best the did was dead space and thats a tps with guns that fire in single rounds so you could tap to shoot. Worked really well. A CoD like twitch shooter gets a lot more limited.

That gameloft controller is also a joke. It looks horrific, Uncomfortable and is really expensive (last I heard anyway) and if you play on a phone where will you place the phone itself?

It's true, there are many people who are dead set on only playing an FPS with a mouse and keyboard so I suppose personal preference comes in to play at some point.

I guess a simpler way of putting it would be something like this: Imagine a skill ceiling based on controls that goes from 1 to 10, with 1 being a 2600 joystick and 10 being mouse and keyboard. I would put dual analogs at somewhere around 7 to 8 and touch controls at somewhere around 3 or 4. Obviously there is an element of subjectivity involved in that assessment as well as where you draw your personal line of tolerance but I personally don't want to play a shooter at anything below that 7 or 8 that I achieve with dual analogs.

The Gameloft controller seems like a better suggestion if someone is interested in going that route.

You can't be serious.... Touch controls are so vastly inferior to dual sticks, it's ridiculous. There is no comparison to the difference between Keyboard>Dual Sticks (which is significant, but not game breaking) and Dual Sticks > Touch controls which are borderline unplayable.

And then you're going to have touch control players going up against people using a controller? LOL!

Cornbread78

Wow, look at all the hate. I fired it up last night and went right to MP, like I do with any shooter, and was actually pretty pleased with the online gameplay. The run was nice with the Dpad, the knife was fine being right night to the thumbstick, my only issue was aiming granades. I couldn't get it in Resistance and I can't get it in CoD MP either...

Overall the MP action was frantic and fun IMO. I'll see about the SP when I get there, but I just have too much to play at this time.

But Oh I forgot, VITA still has not games... dammit...

Besides, you can always buy that Gameloft controller if that really is a problem. In the end it will be about the same price as buying CoD.

the modern combat series are shit games, with or without buttons

winjet81

I have to say, content wise, this is just plain embarrassing for all parties involved from Sony to Activision to Nihilistic.

PSP had two similar games like this: Syphon Filter: Combat OPs and Metal Gear Solid: Portable Ops Plus. BUT, those games were expansions/offshoots of already released major titles.

Damnit Gaf, all this talk saying it isn't bad makes me want to get it. I watched my friend play BLOPS2 last night and I wasn't a fan but watching videos for this makes me want to impulse buy.

Mario007

Because it's not a Sony game, but an Activision game and Activision has all the rights regarding the treatment of the game and who they get to develop it. All Sony did, probably, was give money to Acti to develop a Call of Duty game for the Vita.

web01

I have to say, content wise, this is just plain embarrassing for all parties involved from Sony to Activision to Nihilistic.

PSP had two similar games like this: Syphon Filter: Combat OPs and Metal Gear Solid: Portable Ops Plus. BUT, those games were expansions/offshoots of already released major titles.

Agree 100% its even sadder because the game play actually looks good.
Its COD on a handheld tons of people would be in if it had more content.
They would be smart to support this with some free maps but I sadly see no chance in hell of that happening.

I wonder if patch 1.02 will add a few missing things like hardcore and a mode or 2.

I wouldnt expect that. From nihilistics tweets I get the impression its there for bug fixing and thats about it.

Any extra content will be down to Activision and unless this sells really really well I doubt they will even bother unless Sony throw money at them.... which I guess is possible.

kitch9

Banned

Touch controls are shite... No two ways about it. There's no tactile feedback for you to have any idea of where you are pointing, then you have to move your right thumb off the screen usually to shoot then back to move its just a nightmare.

Cornbread78

Does road to victory come only with the NA version?

Yes, the code is in the package.

Why is that? Its very solid. Played a few rounds before bed and it was exactly what I was wanting on my Vita.

Ditto here, It plays much smoother that I was anticipating that's for sure. CoD is all about MP, anyone that thinks differently well, I think I still have some Enron stock I could sell..

Ditto here, It plays much smoother that I was anticipating that's for sure. CoD is all about MP, anyone that thinks differently well, I think I still have some Enron stock I could sell..

I agree. I haven't played a SP campaign on a COD since the first MW.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member

I've actually always been into CoD for the single player. I started with CoD 1 and that game's campaign blew my mind with its Uncharted™ moments (yes, I know there was no Uncharted back then, but you know what I'm getting at).

Top Bottom