• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Black Ops: Declassified |OT| Ad-Hoc Summary: It Is Not Terrible!

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
This game is going to be savaged by the big outlets regardless. IGN etc actually seem personally offended they didn't get copies of the game.

Waiting on some invoices then I might pick this up. If it is indeed crap I'll return it :p

Seems like reviewers are pissed off one way or another.

If you think about it, from a certain angle, a game with zero trailers or screenshots and I think just 1 preview session, and no response to early review copies, is pretty much saying 'fuck you, press'.

I'm pretty sure Warfighter not having early review copies didn't help the scores for that either.

Bastion

I have to say that after playing the first mission, the game is really good. I don't get how anyone can say it is terrible. It just isn't. Just like Burning Skies was a pretty good game but got torched by reviewers.

This is easily the best fps on a handheld ever and it should be celebrated as such. Not how much worse it is from the console version of Black Ops 2. Yes, Sony and Activision should have promoted it more and it should have Zombies, but what is there is good.

sajj316

This game is going to be savaged by the big outlets regardless. IGN etc actually seem personally offended they didn't get copies of the game.

Waiting on some invoices then I might pick this up. If it is indeed crap I'll return it :p

Poor reviewers had to walk 10 miles with no shoes on to buy a copy. Heck the PocketGamer review started off with that ... If you tell me that they will objectively review a game after having to buy it, I call bullshit ...

Shinta

Banned
"We didn't get a review copy of the game in before launch, or even on launch day. We had to go out and buy our own copy – such is the entertainment giant's faith in it."

"Everything about Declassified is a massive middle finger to the fans. It's a £45.00 mistake for you to make this Christmas"

"4/10"

games-journalism-11-07-2012.jpg

Considering that content-wise this is pretty much another Ridge Racer situation it's easy to see why reviews would be negative. $50 for this is insane.

Skyzard

Banned
What is the metacritic on R:BS? Be funny if this, the better game, scored lower.

Resistance vs CoD

Considering that content-wise this is pretty much another Ridge Racer situation it's easy to see why reviews would be negative. $50 for this is insane.

Yep..

Still I'm sure it would be a lot of fun to play, but for how long..there isn't exactly a better handheld fps out there is there? But if it has too many issues overall then there isn't much fun in that. Hopefully that 1.02 patch won't be far off for those affected..

Could do with more reports on how the framerate holds during combat? And your thoughts on the map selections as well please..

Controls less stiff the more you play?

Yea but reviewers still need to review it sans price tag. They are to inform people of the games pros and cons and features and so on. Then let it be up to the people to decode if it is worth the price tag.

Let's not forget ign gave the Angry Birds Trilogy for consoles at a $40 price tag a 7/10.

sajj316

Yea but reviewers still need to review it sans price tag. They are to inform people of the games pros and cons and features and so on. Then let it be up to the people to decode if it is worth the price tag.

Let's not forget ign gave the Angry Birds Trilogy for consoles at a $40 price tag a 7/10.

Don't get me started ...

I sent PocketGamer a video of the multiplayer since they couldn't get it working ...

VanWinkle

It seems like a game I would play, but I can't even begin to justify spending $50 on this after feeling so burned on spending $40 on Resistance BS. If it goes down to $30 or lower I may pick it up, though. Videos look pretty nice.

Shinta

Banned
So GAF likes it? I'd get it but the price tag is prohibitive. But still these positive impressions may sway me.

The general consensus is that the game is far from perfect, but it seems most agree on:

PROS:
* best portable FPS ever
* good multiplayer, despite small maps and small number of maps
* campaign has replayability due to score attack set up
* graphics are decent/good

CONS:
* extremely short campaign, especially if you ignore upper difficulty levels
* small number of maps
* sometimes you can't get into a multi-player game and get dropped, but experiences have varied greatly
* higher price than most Vita games

To say that every single thing in it is a middle finger sounds ridiculous based on most comments here so far.

BIG_V-G-V

Banned
Finally had a chance to sit down after a long's day work and pop this in! Had a $15 gift card at Toys R Us so I said why not? Took me a couple matches to get used to the controls but it's very fluid. Have not had any connection issues so far and I'm really enjoying it a lot! Finally a great FPS for a handheld!!

I agree. Even if the game should be fun, Activision just shouldn't get away with this ridiculous price tag. They know they can charge it because COD fanboys won't care. But given the lack of content, this game at this price just seems like publishers abusing the price that they just can't charge on other mobile platforms. There's really no way in my opinion to justify this.

Think about what a COD game with a nice single player campaign and a normal price point could have done for this system. It's crazy and short-sighted...

Skyzard

Banned
^ Yep, price was ridiculous, especially for those that want it digitally - considering the content. Sony as well (definitely EU) wanted a boost of retail sales I bet..bullshit they didn't at least convince them to up it if they didn't set it themselves. £45 ! That's like $70 US

Thanks for the impressions BIG_V-G-V, did you have to update to 1.01 as well?

Let us know what you think of the maps later on as well please.

Well, my friend bought the game as I expected. Sounds like he is trying to convince his other buddy to get it too. I guess I can pick it up now but I'm just so pissed off about the price... I just don't want to support that shit.

So confused...!

Skyzard

Banned
^ No luck looking for a retail deal? Or really want the digital like me?

No, there was not an update when I booted it up.

Ah it seems a few have reported that the update is what introduced issues for some people. Thanks for helping to confirm.

I guess the update was regional then.. unless they retracted it ? :S

Is there a minimum time for new patches (1.02)?

If they did remove the patch somehow (and you are having problems)...re-download the game.. Or if it was retail, just delete the file and re-insert.

I would backup my save file first (there is a trick where you don't have to wait the full length if you have a digital copy to backup)...don't have the link but just copy and paste the save file somewhere else, which gets transferred first during a backup. Then copy it back later after cancelling the super long backup. Although there might be a problem with old saves....

Dynamic3

Pulled the trigger and bought the bundle, Best Buy gave me $50 off to match the Target offer, plus I get another $50 off by linking my Amex to my Xbox and spending at least $100 at Best buy; couldn't resist $150 all in.

Impressions incoming, though I'm pissed CoD didn't come with a box.

I'm surprised by the user reviews.Some say it's great while others call it rubbish (metacritic user reviews)

I posted my impressions on the previous page, from someone who owns most of the COD games. I am not going repeat what I said as I feel I'm giving the game bad press when so many people are enjoying it on GAF.

I will still continue to play it every now or then but yeah, it could have been much better game if they put more effort into it. IW or Treyarch and Sony should have more input in the sequel.

fernoca

Amazingly, he follows "fact check" with "apparently".
FACT! Apparently, Vita game cases are blue!!

:p

And he posts on GAF too; so he should know that he was goin to end here (Hi!! ;)).

Ollie Pooch

I mean, it's pretty hilarious that the game IS so short, replay value aside - I still think it's pretty shitty that all these outlets are piling on so hard with it. Obviously the value of this game comes from the multi, which by many accounts is actually quite good, but that seems to be ignored. I guess it's easy to stir up controversy.

DiscoJer

I think all you can ask for is consistency - this site in question (PocketGamer) rated NFS:NW an 8 for the Vita, and the iOS version a 9, in part because of the price tag.

Kazerei

Banned
I mean, it's pretty hilarious that the game IS so short, replay value aside - I still think it's pretty shitty that all these outlets are piling on so hard with it. Obviously the value of this game comes from the multi, which by many accounts is actually quite good, but that seems to be ignored. I guess it's easy to stir up controversy.

Well, the multiplayer is kind of lacking in content and features too. It's fun, at least, and there aren't any better online FPS games on handhelds.

Ollie Pooch

Well, the multiplayer is kind of lacking in content and features too. It's fun, at least, and there aren't any better online FPS games on handhelds.
Oh for sure, 5 maps isn't amazing - but I meant more how they are focusing on the length of the campaign as the big negative (when the dev repeatedly said they were focusing on the online) instead of focusing on the multi.

Though I get your point :p

thuway

This is going to be a very polarizing game. Most will agree the online portion sets a benchmark for portable FPS titles. However, there are too many negatives associated with it.

- The price. $49.99, without discount. That is steep son.
- Few maps. As great as the online experience is, if you neuter the number of maps, it might not be the best idea.
- Short campaign. Probably not a great idea either.

I think as GAFFers, we can make educated guesses because we understand the design philosophy and shortcomings. However, to a person walking into a store purchasing this game- it might not represent the best value.

berva

Neo Member
I wasn't getting the update until I turned my PSV off and back on again. Patch 1.01 is 369MB!

Massive patch.

*Ad Hoc Multiplayer Mode added
Play multiplayer without internet connection
XP and stats NOT saves for obvious reasons

* Adjusted Audio Levels Throughout the game

* Adjusted gameplay Balancing in Multiplayer

That's it for patch notes but @ 369MB I think there might be some more under the carpet maintenance going on, which is great. Downloading now.

Kazerei

Banned
Oh for sure, 5 maps isn't amazing - but I meant more how they are focusing on the length of the campaign as the big negative (when the dev repeatedly said they were focusing on the online) instead of focusing on the multi.

Though I get your point :p

Ahh, I do agree with you there. I think people are mainly buying this for multiplayer, so reviewers should write more about the multiplayer. Not that it's super great or anything :p

Anyways, I'm downloading the patch now. It seems to have appeared along with the PSN store update.

This is going to be a very polarizing game. Most will agree the online portion sets a benchmark for portable FPS titles. However, there are too many negatives associated with it.

- The price. $49.99, without discount. That is steep son.
- Few maps. As great as the online experience is, if you neuter the number of maps, it might not be the best idea.
- Short campaign. Probably not a great idea either.

I think as GAFFers, we can make educated guesses because we understand the design philosophy and shortcomings. However, to a person walking into a store purchasing this game- it might not represent the best value.

You also forgot to mention it is quite buggy :)

Chris_C

Seems like reviewers are pissed off one way or another.

If you think about it, from a certain angle, a game with zero trailers or screenshots and I think just 1 preview session, and no response to early review copies, is pretty much saying 'fuck you, press'.

Or you know, maybe the big corporation doesn't have faith in the average product they're trying to slip into gamers hands in exchange for $10 below premium prices. I suspect it has more to do with that.

berva

Neo Member
So tempting

Must... resist (unless I can find a good gameplay video)

The game is worth it based on the multiplayer alone, grab it. I just installed patch 1.01 which is 369MB and I can tell that the multiplayer is even better now. If you want to play multiplayer shooter that controls great, grab it don't wait.

KalBalboa

Banned
Or 360 or Nintendo for that matter. He just apparently doesn't like bad games...who'd have thought?

There's certainly been a notable pattern to Gies's general take on any non-Microsoft platform. I'm not going to get into a pissing match over his opinions because they're, well, his opinions, but his thoughts on some of my favorite games this gen have left me taking his perspective with a grain of salt.

He is a decent writer though, as I've said before on these boards. I just think combining CoD Vita with Gies isn't going to result in some surprisingly positive take on the game.

Ollie Pooch

Somehow in Aus this game has managed to avoid being hugely overpriced - at JB Hifi it's A$59, the same price as most other Vita games. Though EB, as always , are trying to charge A$68.

lol funny enough, with modern combat 4 apparently delayed to the end of the year, i might give this a shot when servers become more stable in a week or so :)

Somehow in Aus this game has managed to avoid being hugely overpriced - at JB Hifi it's A$59, the same price as most other Vita games. Though EB, as always , are trying to charge A$68.

Early this morning it was priced at $69.95 on the AUS PSN store. I thought games were supposed to be 10% cheaper online?

Top Bottom