• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Black Ops: Declassified |OT| Ad-Hoc Summary: It Is Not Terrible!

Flunkie

Banned
lol funny enough, with modern combat 4 apparently delayed to the end of the year, i might give this a shot when servers become more stable in a week or so :)
Delayed to coincide with the iPad 5 release. Which is a good thing, since the frame rate will be horrible on iPad 4 and all inferior devices like MC3 and NOVA 3 are now.

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
Early this morning it was priced at $69.95 on the AUS PSN store. I thought games were supposed to be 10% cheaper online?
Sony AU always charge full RRP same as Nintendo for online, it's bullshit. I buy retail for games without an online pass here , for everything else I buy on my US account - usually $35ish. Even the high-priced Call of Duty on US PSN still comes in under what we pay here :p

minimoke

I (unlike the PocketGamerUK reviewer) just got past Mission 2 and it took me over 45mins of retries to do it:)

I also had a great MP game and I think the maps are perfect for 8 players.

Kazerei

Banned
What? Let me get this straight, it's only 1 hour long? Is that for real?

The Operations missions, yeah, takes about 1 hour in total to finish on regular difficulty. Even less time if you don't die. There's some other single-player content too.

10 Operations missions, each ~3-8 minutes long
5 Time Trial missions, each ~0.5-1 minute long
5 Hostiles missions, as long as you can survive

There's replay value in getting high scores, but there's very little content to begin with.

Ollie Pooch

I (unlike the PocketGamerUK reviewer) just got past Mission 2 and it took me over 45mins of retries to do it:)

Was this the 'Operations' missions? Or Time trials?

Seems insane there are 5 time trial missions of that length - is there any reason to repeat them - can you improve upon times that much?

deano469

Neo Member
I would like to post my review of the game up on here, unfortunately i only got to play online for a whole 3 minutes last night on PS3 before the servers went down. Retried a few times over the space of 4 hours but didn't get back on either time and had my PS3 freeze and lock up 4 times, kinda reminds me of what happened when the first Black Ops was released. Fingers crossed its sorted and i get to have a game tonight, im gutted as i finished work early to get a good few hours in yesterday :-(

darkwing

I would like to post my review of the game up on here, unfortunately i only got to play online for a whole 3 minutes last night on PS3 before the servers went down. Retried a few times over the space of 4 hours but didn't get back on either time and had my PS3 freeze and lock up 4 times, kinda reminds me of what happened when the first Black Ops was released. Fingers crossed its sorted and i get to have a game tonight, im gutted as i finished work early to get a good few hours in yesterday :-(

really need to put Vita on the title lol

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer

I find it impossible to complete the game in under an hour unless you are playing on the easiest difficulty. Which is probably what they did.

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
The Operations missions, yeah, takes about 1 hour in total to finish on regular difficulty. Even less time if you don't die. There's some other single-player content too.

10 Operations missions, each ~3-8 minutes long
5 Time Trial missions, each ~0.5-1 minute long
5 Hostiles missions, as long as you can survive

There's replay value in getting high scores, but there's very little content to begin with.

That's all?
Too bad sony sent some of its developers to die, one example was zipper with mag and unit 13, good games but with no real single player campaign, now it's the turn of nihilistic forced to rush a cod game with basically no content.
If you want multiplayer oriented games or rushed games at full price don't blame the developers for the failures, people want well developed games with a good single player campaign.

I'm a cheerleader in the vita games get shittier reviews than they deserve' defense force™ but this game deserves it based on the price and the content provided.

What will be lost in all of it is that the underlying game itself is solid. But i've played $10 PSN or steam shooters with more content and polish. $50 feels like someone is playing a practical joke it's so absurd.

So I'm doing a couple of Ops in the car this morning before I had to go into the office. Flashed up twice to tell me I don't have a wifi connection to psn, during those levels. I'll have another go a bit later and see if it happens again. That needs a fix I would have thought.

Quite enjoying it so far.

Lol that TGC review

The multiplayer is where you will find the most disappointment. Small squads, smaller maps and a poor connectivity make for an experience worth forgetting. The first time you get into a game, if you can manage it, is novel and new and seems like the multiplayer we all know and cherish. After a few rounds you begin to realise that you have made a mistake with this purchase. The small maps are terrible for spawning you in front of an enemies sights, something that should have been figured during play testing, if there was a play test. The maps just aren’t big enough, even for 4v4, especially the cut down version of Nuketown, which consists of one house, a bit of garden and some road with a truck on it. That’s not enough for a family of four to live in, never mind 8 soldiers running around trying to kill each other.

"The multiplayer is where you will find the most disappointment"

No, the single player is easily where you find the most disappointment

"Small squads, smaller maps and a poor connectivity make for an experience worth forgetting"

Had some great memorable matches. Had some intermitent connection issues... yet by sounds of it black ops 2 people cant even get in a game... oh hay that wasn't mentioned in its reviews.

"The first time you get into a game, if you can manage it, is novel and new and seems like the multiplayer we all know and cherish. After a few rounds you begin to realise that you have made a mistake with this purchase. "

Was worried this would be the case.... but its not.

"The small maps are terrible for spawning you in front of an enemies sights, something that should have been figured during play testing, if there was a play test. The maps just aren’t big enough, even for 4v4"

The only map that had me spawning in front of people was nuke house. MW3 had several maps where this would happen. Oddly nuke house is the most voted for map from what I could tell. People seem to like the carnage it causes. The rest of the maps are actually decently sized for a 4v4. You even get brief moments of trying to find people.

Im all for fair reviews and giving games the score they deserve but god damn it has games journalism become a huge joke as of late. The two reviews so far just sound like they are pissed off they didn't get review copies.

The game needs to be called up on its lack of single player content... not the fact its not a story. I like the idea of operations... just needs 20 more of them. Hostiles needs up to 4 player co-op and the multiplayer would benefit from 2 more maps at the minimum. Because of these flaws a 7/10 could be fair if you ask me.

But whats the point in more maps on a vote system where everyone always votes for the same 2-3 maps anyway (has been the case with all CoDs)

Gonna be interesting seeing how the other "journalists" rip this to shreds.

Gustav

Banned
I bought it on a whim. Played online multiplayer only so far and it's not bad. It feels like a more barebones Call of Duty. And I'm totally cool with that. It's the first Vita multiplayer I can see myself playing regularly.

Ollie Pooch

That's all?
Too bad sony sent some of its developers to die, one example was zipper with mag and unit 13, good games but with no real single player campaign, now it's the turn of nihilistic forced to rush a cod game with basically no content.
If you want multiplayer oriented games or rushed games at full price don't blame the developers for the failures.
Rant time.

I kinda feel sorry for Nihilistic. It's nice they can say they were 'tailoring it to the Vita' (I guess they have to), and it's nice to see quite a few people are enjoying the game, but it was always destined to be slammed hard because it's more clear even now that Activision don't really care about it. I've been on the fence about buying it the last few days - some really positive impressions here, then some other toxic ones, too. Decided I don't want to reward Activision for making no effort, despite the novelty of a handheld FPS.

Nihilistic's tweets always sounded kinda bitter in a 'our hands are tied' kind of way and the premium price is really a bit of a slap in the face given how little there seems to be compared to the other games from the same series released on the same day. They said it's all about the multi but there's FIVE maps - wtf? All that time and they created five multiplayer maps. Never mind Sony's Crossplay and "console quality on the go" push that they're using in current ads, which hasn't materialised here at all. Why wouldn't they just port Black Ops 2 to it? NFS has kinda set a bar in terms of 'porting down' and AC:L has shown that spin-off doesn't have to mean 'skimp on content'. It's obvious Activision didn't want to devote any substantial time/money/resources to it so they did the bare minimum or Sony paid the bill. Kinda sad.

I watched some guy's video review earlier (sorry if it's someone here - can't remember the username!). He praised much of the game and it looks pretty good but had weird bugs like helicopters spinning around buried in the ground, and the player's hand/gun disappearing while still firing.

After reading more impressions I can kind of see why media outlets are reacting the way they are - Activision need to know that they can't just release any old game at a premium price and expect it to be lapped up. Still I guess it sucks to see the big 'saviour' of the Vita being shat on. Said so many times before, but Vita owners should really expect far better.

Edit: six maps :p

http://www.pocketgamer.co.uk/review

You'll need to be the world's biggest fan of the series to derive any enjoyment from this lazy first-person shooter offering.

There are none of the spectacular set pieces the series is known for, just section after section of totally adequate, completely phoned-in shooty shooty action.

If you die then it's back to the start of the mission to do everything again - same enemy movements, same guns, same tactics, same embarrassing hackneyed voice acting. If you thought home console CoD was linear, you ought to play Declassified.

Everything about Declassified is a massive middle finger to the fans. It's a £45.00 mistake for you to make this Christmas, driven to purchase it on a wave of excitement from Black Ops II on PlayStation 3 or Xbox 360.

It serves no purpose but to frustrate and annoy, with lacking single player, little use of the potentially fascinating BLOPS universe, and almost totally broken multiplayer.

Summary said:
A passionless take on a great licence. Only the most battle-hardened Call of Duty fans should even consider taking this one down to the range.

4/10

They didn't like it.

Spiegel

This game deserves to be panned for the lack of content and the atrocious pricing but that's one of the most unprofessional reviews I've ever read.

Multiplayer

I spent two hours trying to play this aspect of the game, and managed to get in only five matches in that time.

And this makes no sense

It's not difficult in the slightest, missions are short, and if you're a seasoned Call of Duty player, you can probably beat the entire story mode in forty five minutes. However, the game attempts to counter this by being brutally unforgiving in certain spots, usually by adding hostages or a timer.

I couldn't push past the second level - no matter how hard I tried - for an entire hour, for example.

In general, that is not a way to review a game. If there are connectivity problems in these two hours you tried to play in the first day the least you can do is give the game another chance later the same day or the next because you can hardly review a multiplayer mode with only 5 matches.

And the whole "I HAD TO SPEND MONEY BUYING THE GAME" is the best part.

SteveWD40

If it had bots for online I would gobble it up, even at that price (I buy fewer games these days as it is), it was just lazy to leave them out and essentially means you are relying on online / a community for MP.

Bots can be great fun when you are just relaxing, they have them in iOS shooters and in some cases (Trigger Fist) they are pretty good.

Gustav

Banned
Does the 4v4 bother you?

Not exactly. As far as I can tell map sizes and the number of players are reasonably balanced. You never have the feeling that the maps are empty or similar. Nuke House is a little claustrophobic but other than that the small maps / low player numbers don't hamper my enjoyment of the game.

Some people in this thread need to talk to a mental health professional.
And by some people I mean OmegaTreeFish.

Oh no i like something you havnt played and dont like. Call the men in white coats.

What's funny is that they claim it's just for hardest of hardcore CoD fans, still I enjoy MP a bunch. And I haven't played a CoD since MW2.

I would actually say its more suitable for people who like CoD on a more casual basis and wont notice the missing modes and things as they just want to be able to log on a few games when the main TV isnt available.

Truly hardcore CoD fans will prob hate this.

Oh no i like something you havnt played and dont like. Call the men in white coats.

hehe - doesn't mean others won't not like it. I can see why someone would maybe 'like it' (I wouldn't buy the game at all, not just a waste of a lot of money but also time by the sounds of things); but I think people who like it must surely see why others view it as a more hollow experience.

Its not going to be for everyone and its certainly not going to be at that price.

sly16bit

Neo Member
From what I have heard, read and watched on youtube.. what I understand is that this game's major fault is it's price. 50$ for a game that doesn't have as much content as a lot of current 40$ Vita games is asking too much. I have the feeling that some bad reviews/comments on the game come from expectations. Some people seem to have expected this game to provide the same experience as console CoD games.. which would be very hard to achieve in reality. I'm sure at some point we will end up seeing more fleshed out FPS games on Vita but I wasn't expecting this to happen yet. If this game can provide small chunks of CoD action on the go, I think it has succeeded already. Still doesn't excuse the 50$ price though.

hehe - doesn't mean others won't not like it. I can see why someone would maybe 'like it' (I wouldn't buy the game at all, not just a waste of a lot of money but also time by the sounds of things); but I think people who like it must surely see why others view it as a more hollow experience.

Its not going to be for everyone and its certainly not going to be at that price.

And I have never said anything different.

I have simply only stated what im liking and not liking about it.

And I have never said anything different.

I have simply only stated what im liking and not liking about it.

You were a bit picky with TGC :p
Personally I think review copies not being sent out is going to send a signal, but am not sure how pissed they'll be about buying them (the reviewers themselves likely won't be paying); but its more how companies should 'want' to send a game out and not doing so shows a serious lack of confidence in the title.

Seems foolish since whilst the game isn't exactly 'good' it could at least have put a perception of finding some sort of market. If publishers don't have confidence in their product its difficult for others to do the same.

I still think people are reaching a bit with how great the game is but I've not played it. If your still playing it in a few months then you've probably gotten more value than I'd get at £30 for a game.

Ohnonono

The price is hard to swallow, but this is a good game. I am no FPS savant but I have spent much longer than 45 mins on the campaign and playing on the second difficulty it is very unforgiving in parts. I just got to the fourth one To me it feels like all the gameplay of CoD without the filler, its constant firefights and pretty relentless difficulty. I played 5 games of Team Deathmatch and had a blast. with 8 players the game feels anything but empty. I cant imagine what this could have been like if these guys were given proper time to make this thing. It makes me kinda sad to see them go mobile cause another lick at it with extra time and they could craft something really special.

sajj316

From what I have heard, read and watched on youtube.. what I understand is that this game's major fault is it's price. 50$ for a game that doesn't have as much content as a lot of current 40$ Vita games is asking too much. I have the feeling that some bad reviews/comments on the game come from expectations. Some people seem to have expected this game to provide the same experience as console CoD games.. which would be very hard to achieve in reality. I'm sure at some point we will end up seeing more fleshed out FPS games on Vita but I wasn't expecting this to happen yet. If this game can provide small chunks of CoD action on the go, I think it has succeeded already. Still doesn't excuse the 50$ price though.

Maybe I'm old school but price is something I factor in when purchasing. I don't need a review doing that for me. Tell me your thoughts about the game in a constructive fashion. The pros and cons. Be consistent. Compare and contrast but do so with logical comparisons. Don't tell me it is or is not worth at select price.

Ohnonono

Maybe I'm old school but price is something I factor in when purchasing. I don't need a review doing that for me. Tell me your thoughts about the game in a constructive fashion. The pros and cons. Be consistent. Compare and contrast but do so with logical comparisons. Don't tell me it is or is not worth at select price.

Absolutely how I feel. Price is fluctuating, if they set it too high it will come down when the game bombs and retailers are stuck with tons of copies. If your review mentions the price then suddenly its not even relevant anymore.

You were a bit picky with TGC :p
Personally I think review copies not being sent out is going to send a signal, but am not sure how pissed they'll be about buying them (the reviewers themselves likely won't be paying); but its more how companies should 'want' to send a game out and not doing so shows a serious lack of confidence in the title.

Seems foolish since whilst the game isn't exactly 'good' it could at least have put a perception of finding some sort of market. If publishers don't have confidence in their product its difficult for others to do the same.

I still think people are reaching a bit with how great the game is but I've not played it. If your still playing it in a few months then you've probably gotten more value than I'd get at £30 for a game.

Well the review was terribly written.

Also whether you got sent a copy or not (early or late) has no place being in a review. Playing a game for a day and not even playing the multiplayer side for very long (by all rights he couldn't have) gives no baring for a review. Just delay the review or don't do one.

I mean he sounds like he only played nuke house as thats the only one that has you spawning in front of people.

He says the small maps and 4v4 and connection issues lead to a forgetable experience. Well the size of the maps suit the 4v4 so for the most part it feels like CoD and the connection issues could be first day jitters, its to early to know.

Just calling out the BS that is all.

The game has flaws, clearly. Buts its still fun and that review and the pocket gamer review come across as uninformed and whiny. The game certainly doesnt deserve a 8+ (I hate number systems anyway) but if your going to complain about a game, do it properly and mention the stuff that is worth mentioning. Both that review and the pocketgamer one don't clearly explain why it doesn't work for them. Just that it doesn't.

Why did the smaller maps and 4v4 lead to a forgettable experience? You see what I'm getting at? Its just terrible writing lol.

fernoca

Ignored that pocketgamer review when it was posted yesterday; but...

"Is not difficult in the slightest"...
"you can probably beat the entire story mode in forty five minutes"...

But!

" I couldn't push past the second level - no matter how hard I tried - for an entire hour".

Really? :p

Ignored that pocketgamer review when it was posted yesterday; but...

"Is not difficult in the slightest"...
"you can probably beat the entire story mode in forty five minutes"...

But!

" I couldn't push past the second level - no matter how hard I tried - for an entire hour".

Really? :p

lol.

Game is definitely lacking in content but I'm having fun with the six levels we get in multiplayer. Honestly, I only ever end up playing 6 levels in rotation on the consoles as everyone chooses the same ones over again. I played BLOPS II yesterday and only played on five maps in two hours.

heringer

Well, the multiplayer is kind of lacking in content and features too. It's fun, at least, and there aren't any better online FPS games on handhelds.

I wonder if you guys actually know this for a fact, because the Modern Combat series actually have pretty featured rich multiplayers, and MC4 seems to up this another notch.

I wonder if you guys actually know this for a fact, because the Modern Combat series actually have pretty featured rich multiplayers, and MC4 seems to up this another notch.

I'll be very excited when... buttons and analog. I've tried but I can't play those games. Wish they would get a release on PSM.

Top Bottom