• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Black Ops: Declassified |OT| Ad-Hoc Summary: It Is Not Terrible!

surly

Banned
Because I want a portable FPS that isn't complete crap, and the videos make it look good. much better than Burning Skies!
I'd have a read of this before you drop $50 on this game: -

http://www.giantbomb.com/call-of-duty-black-ops-declassified/61-38542/reviews/

That's only 1 opinion of course, but the only other review I can find (on Pocket Gamer) wasn't too kind about it either: -

Everything about Declassified is a massive middle finger to the fans. It's a £45.00 mistake for you to make this Christmas, driven to purchase it on a wave of excitement from Black Ops II on PlayStation 3 or Xbox 360.

It serves no purpose but to frustrate and annoy, with lacking single player, little use of the potentially fascinating BLOPS universe, and almost totally broken multiplayer.

TwoDurans

"Never said I wasn't a hypocrite."
Don't read the reviews. The game they're talking about is not the game I've (and others) have been playing. The single player is not an hour long unless you play on easy and blow through it. Playing on normal will net you about 4 hours and veteran is ~5-6 hours. And yes I do with it had a central storyline instead of being a series of vignettes, but Unit13 did the same thing and everyone loved it. So why all the hate here?

Since last night's patch I've not had a single issue in a multiplayer game. Sure the maps are small, but it's only 4v4. I wouldn't want to spend a lot of time trying to find someone because the map is way too big for only 8 players.

I get that everyone is pissed because this game costs $50, and that it's "not a Call of Duty game" but for that price what you do get is a pretty fun experience. If you're interested in it at all, don't let any reviewer (or grumpy gaffer) talk you out of it.

Atomski

I'd have a read of this before you drop $50 on this game: -

http://www.giantbomb.com/call-of-duty-black-ops-declassified/61-38542/reviews/

That's only 1 opinion of course, but the only other review I can find (on Pocket Gamer) wasn't too kind about it either: -

Game Informer also gave it a 3/10

Call of Duty: Black Ops: Declassified is appalling. In dramatic fashion, it completely fails to live up to the high bar of quality gamers expect from the Call of Duty name. It’s also a discouraging sign for gamers like me who shelled out $250 for a Vita in the hopes of console-quality experiences on handheld. I can’t recommend Declassified to anyone; casual FPS players and Call of Duty fans alike will recognize the train wreck Nihilistic Software has developed.

http://www.gameinformer.com/games/c...2012/11/14/black-ops-declassified-review.aspx

The core fundamentals and staples of any and all COD games are present in Declassified. Whether its the "you are hurt, please take cover" or the snappy aim controls, and gritty look, this is the core, distilled experience.

im stunned that these reviewer opinions carry so much credence. Youtube gameplay sells me on a game far more than written words. Often I just Youtube gameplay to see the whether i would like a game. Opinions are like assholes, everyone has one.

But, jeez, i must be playing a different game than the reviewers. My opinion stands, theyre using the game as a martyr for their beef toward a "failing" handheld, COD, Sony and Activision In general. they dont dare slate the big COD and risk review retreats/events, advertising, free swag and fan backlash - so this is the easy target.

Seventy5

Wow, the hate for this game is thick. I just played 2+ hours of multiplayer while my wife kicked me off of blops 2 to watch tv and I had a blast. The single player is decent enough, can't understand how everyone flip flops from wanting a portable experience to wanting a console experience, but whatever. I'm sure someone who hasn't played it will tell me I'm just justifying my purchase.

Krabboss

With how desperate people sometimes seem to justify their purchase of the Vita, I think going with the reviewers on this one seems like a safer bet. And speaking of gameplay videos - I've seen some and it does not look good. Not to mention the fact that a 10 minute look at the campaign is showing 1/6th of it already, which is pretty dire. And with frequent complaints of the maps being tiny with crappy spawns (even BO2 can't get its spawns right), I'm not sure why you'd want to play multiplayer either.

The core fundamentals and staples of any and all COD games are present in Declassified. Whether its the "you are hurt, please take cover" or the snappy aim controls, and gritty look, this is the core, distilled experience.

im stunned that these reviewer opinions carry so much credence. Youtube gameplay sells me on a game far more than written words. Often I just Youtube gameplay to see the whether i would like a game. Opinions are like assholes, everyone has one.

But, jeez, i must be playing a different game than the reviewers. My opinion stands, theyre using the game as a martyr for their beef toward a "failing" handheld, COD, Sony and Activision In general. they dont dare slate the big COD and risk review retreats/events, advertising, free swag and fan backlash - so this is the easy target.

Hmm.

kitch9

Banned
With how desperate people sometimes seem to justify their purchase of the Vita, I think going with the reviewers on this one seems like a safer bet. And speaking of gameplay videos - I've seen some and it does not look good. Not to mention the fact that a 10 minute look at the campaign is showing 1/6th of it already, which is pretty dire. And with frequent complaints of the maps being tiny with crappy spawns (even BO2 can't get its spawns right), I'm not sure why you'd want to play multiplayer either.

Oh fuck off. The game is stuck somewhere between butthurt reviewers who didn't get their usual bribes and guys like you who've "seen a video."

It's not the best game ever granted but it is quite fun.

I just find it suspicious that the OP makes no mention of the reviews and is just a collection of twitter posts...

Everyone is free to enjoy any game they want, but saying the reviewers are using this game to make some grand gesture is drinking a bit too much of the kool-aid. Enjoy the game if you do, in the face of critics if you'd like, but the hive mind mentality will get you nowhere.

Mideon

I'm finding it really fun and great for what it is, a portable COD. Played about 2 seconds of single player as with any COD game who the hell buys it for single player. Multiplayer is a blast though really enjoying it. Sorry for having fun with a game reviewers despise!! Shame on me!!

kitch9

Banned
I just find it suspicious that the OP makes no mention of the reviews and is just a collection of twitter posts...

Everyone is free to enjoy any game they want, but saying the reviewers are using this game to make some grand gesture is drinking a bit too much of the kool-aid. Enjoy the game if you do, in the face of critics if you'd like, but the hive mind mentality will get you nowhere.

I can't trust a review where the reviewer is moaning about not getting his free shit, where he has network problems and cannot get on-line and he blasts through the campaign with it set to easy....

You can blast through most COD games when set to easy in a couple of hours, probably without firing a damn shot because that is how they are.

The on-line whilst sparse is actually pretty enjoyable.... It just wish there was a few extra maps and modes... Maybe a couple of extra players would be better too.

Wow, the hate for this game is thick. I just played 2+ hours of multiplayer while my wife kicked me off of blops 2 to watch tv and I had a blast. The single player is decent enough, can't understand how everyone flip flops from wanting a portable experience to wanting a console experience, but whatever. I'm sure someone who hasn't played it will tell me I'm just justifying my purchase.

The Wii U version sounds perfect for you.

Hearsay is just saying you shouldn't think bad reviews are some kind of "fight the man" conspiracy "kitsch" .

To hearsay: the Op is the way it is because before today there were no reviews because Activision didn't give a shit.

I do feel Sony is getting called out too much, however. Because in the end, this poor showing clearly rests on Activision's shoulders.no news before or after it was revealed and not even screenshots till the game appeared.

With that said I'm sure this game is somewhere in the middle of the shitty reviews and the over hyped user scores. So I'm probably going to buy at a reduced price. But man, I would've killed for the real experience.

That's good to hear BladeoftheImmortal. I guess I just assumed the reviews were being consciously ignored because these threads tend to move so fast and I usually see OP's clamoring for reviews.

Kazerei

Banned
Sorry, I'm just slow, not consciously ignoring reviews :S

(I also don't care that much for listing reviews in OPs, but that's probably just me.)

(And if I wanted to suppress the negativity I wouldn't have picked all the worst tweets, heh.)

Hearsay is just saying you shouldn't think bad reviews are some kind of "fight the man" conspiracy "kitsch" .

To hearsay: the Op is the way it is because before today there were no reviews because Activision didn't give a shit.

I do feel Sony is getting called out too much, however. Because in the end, this poor showing clearly rests on Activision's shoulders.no news before or after it was revealed and not even screenshots till the game appeared.

With that said I'm sure this game is somewhere in the middle of the shitty reviews and the over hyped user scores. So I'm probably going to buy at a reduced price. But man, I would've killed for the real experience.

Doesn't matter who gets the blame. blame must be given.

Krabboss

Oh fuck off. The game is stuck somewhere between butthurt reviewers who didn't get their usual bribes and guys like you who've "seen a video."

It's not the best game ever granted but it is quite fun.

Yeah, I'm sure every reviewer is just giving it a bad score because they didn't get bribed. It couldn't possibly be because the campaign is incredibly short and the multiplayer is terrible. And as for the "seen a video" shit, that was a direct response to people thinking the game looks any good based on videos they've seen.

You sure do have some weird sort of investment in this game.

Sorry, I'm just slow, not consciously ignoring reviews :S

(I also don't care that much for listing reviews in OPs, but that's probably just me.)

Obviously run your thread however you see fit. I just found it odd in this case given the reviews (granted the sample size is pretty small).

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Yeah, I'm sure every reviewer is just giving it a bad score because they didn't get bribed. It couldn't possibly be because the campaign is incredibly short and the multiplayer is terrible.

GAF impressions from people I don't consider fanboys have been positive.
Have you played it yet?

This was before any reviews came out and the flood of posts about them came in.

Ashler

Giantbomb reviewed it at 1 out of 5??

Not going anywhere near that POS. damn :(
I'd at least try a demo out if it were available, but I guess not.

kitch9

Banned
Yeah, I'm sure every reviewer is just giving it a bad score because they didn't get bribed. It couldn't possibly be because the campaign is incredibly short and the multiplayer is terrible. And as for the "seen a video" shit, that was a direct response to people thinking the game looks any good based on videos they've seen.

The butthurt was strong days ago, when they were all whining like bitches all over twitter.

Like I said its not the best game in the world, but as far as handheld multiplayer goes, its a decent effort. It just needs more content, hopefully if it sells Activision decide to throw us a bone....

(Yeah right.)

The game is somewhere in the middle you are correct.

Krabboss

GAF impressions from people I don't consider fanboys have been positive.
Have you played it yet?

This was before any reviews came out and the flood of posts about them came in.

Eh, in general, people seem very forgiving when it comes to Vita games. I don't see how it's possible to be positive about an hour/hour and a half long campaign (with apparently crappy AI, but I can't speak to that). I get that they were trying to do a leaderboards type deal with it, but that's not something you charge $50 for.

And personally I have no interest in 4v4 multiplayer on tiny maps with supposedly bad spawns (I'd believe it, even mainline CoD games can't get this right on bigger maps). Maybe some people do, but I can't see many use cases for it. You'd either need a 3G Vita (gross, latency!) or you'd be playing it on WiFi at home orrr... work maybe?

The butthurt was strong days ago, when they were all whining like bitches all over twitter.
I only saw people complaining about the weak campaign and technical issues. All from people I trust to not be bothered by not getting free shit.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Eh, in general, people seem very forgiving when it comes to Vita games. I don't see how it's possible to be positive about an hour/hour and a half long campaign (with apparently crappy AI, but I can't speak to that). I get that they were trying to do a leaderboards type deal with it, but that's not something you charge $50 for.

And personally I have no interest in 4v4 multiplayer on tiny maps with supposedly bad spawns (I'd believe it, even mainline CoD games can't get this right on bigger maps). Maybe some people do, but I can't see many use cases for it. You'd either need a 3G Vita (gross, latency!) or you'd be playing it on WiFi at home orrr... work maybe?.
No one posting about the game before cared about the time/score attack SP modes.
They were positive impressions of the MP which honestly is the only part I care about as well.

If you have no interest in 4v4, well, ok, but it works for some.

I just saw during the heat/clippers game the worst commercial ive seen in about 10 years. It was for this game. The one guy is just shaking his vita and the other is literally just jumping to the side in slow motion for no fucking reason. Good god

LOL at this thread.

People who are liking the game = fanboys / justifying there purchase.
People who havnt played the game and read the reviews = trust worthy criticts who know the game is shit.

Look guys this is getting dumb

The game is not great and its not terrible.

The single player content is sorly lacking, most people are rather aware of that and have been since before they bought it.

The multiplayer is a CoD experience on a smaller scale. The controls are very nice. The only difference to the console version is grenades / knife/ are touch controled and sprint is now auto (which works fine if you ask me) or set to the down on the D-pad.

out of the 6 maps I would say 3 get a pretty rock solid 30fps. The others have drops but nothing on the scale that resistance had.

4 game modes, FFA, TDM, Kill confirmed and drop zone. Also team tacticle which moves between them all bar FFA.

Playing games is lag free from my experience. Just some strange connection issues which are intermitent at the moment. That is not to uncommon with games when they first come out (blops 2 seems to be having worse ones). If they are still there in a week then yes that will be really god damn anoying... however at least it saves your progress if you get kicked out of a game and you don't loose your exp you gained.

almost everything that makes the basis of a CoD game is there in the multiplayer:
all gun types
good amount of guns
lots of attachments to unlock
kill streaks
perks
prestiege
etc etc

the map sizes are small but not so small you are constantly spawning next to people (bar nukehouse and containment). Oddly just like in the console games people seem to always vote for the smallest maps. I guess people love the chaos they bring.

4v4 feels right on these maps. Nukehouse would be better 3v3 but what ever.

Conclusion

This game is far from amazing. But the multiplayer is fun and does feel like CoD. If you want a CoD game on the Vita to play now and then it will serve that purpose and you should have fun with it.

If you only like the single player side of CoD then don't buy it. Rent it maybe but its very limited in what you have to do here.

From the reviewers point of view i guess
They didnt get review copies
They had to play and review it in a day or 2
they have had to review it during the connection issues.
They had to review it after review Blops 2
This will in turn make the smaller options and slower frame rate more aparent

Im not surprised they destroyed it and most of us called they would. Regardless, if you ever felt like MW1 was the best one of the lot and all the extra kill streaks and stuff made the game worse then you might be pleasantly surprised with this games multiplayer.

Although Im prob trying to just justify my purchase or something lol.

Robertto

Neo Member
I wish Zipper would have added competitive multi mode on Unit 13. It would have been like a more refined and polished version of this.

yep, your right. would have been like vita's counter strike. no real soul, but a fucking good game.

the vitas lack of multiplayer at launch was really perplexing. and in general the lack of FPS astounds me.

kitch9

Banned
I just saw during the heat/clippers game the worst commercial ive seen in about 10 years. It was for this game. The one guy is just shaking his vita and the other is literally just jumping to the side in slow motion for no fucking reason. Good god

Uhm, you couldn't figure out what was happening?

hyogen

Neo Member
A SP mode like COD is hardly suitable for quick 10 minute blasts of gameplay like most people want from a portable device.

This is such a stupid cop out... Can you not press pause whenever you want?

I'm glad you and most people got your 1 hour blast of a game then...

Another 3ds port would have probably delivered more content.....

Carl

This is such a stupid cop out... Can you not press pause whenever you want?

I'm glad you and most people got your 1 hour blast of a game then...

Another 3ds port would have probably delivered more content.....

I dont own the game. Lol.

Funny how people that have actually played it in here are enjoying it, and everyone else is saying it's shit.

Kazerei

Banned
That video makes the game look really fun.. Hmm..

It's fun, it's just lacking in content and features, both in single and multiplayer. 8 players, 6 maps, 5 modes ... pretty barebones multiplayer. So there's not much to play with, but at least it's fun.

Also, I find the maps kind of cramped. A lot of in-your-face action, which I guess some people like. Personally, I prefer larger, more open maps.

I dont own the game. Lol.

Funny how people that have actually played it in here are enjoying it, and everyone else is saying it's shit.

This is true. Had a cracking few rounds of team deathmatch last night before my baby boy woke up. Really enjoyable.

sajj316

Had connectivity issues last night but smooth sailing for 45 minutes on the toilet this morning. Last night was certainly due to sever overload as I played during prime time in the east coast US. That should get sorted out.

Nukehouse is far too small IMHO. It's absolutely chaotic if that's your thing. I was averaging 25 kills last night on that map and about 16 deaths. Ratio is fine but I wasn't expecting to die or kill this much. Note, this is without the copter kill streak. It would be a miracle to grab a care package in peace :)

I don't care much for the single player but missions, trials, hostiles is what it is. My time will be spent killing and dieing in multi player.

Whoever wants to die with me .. It's PSN sajj316

Green Yoshi

Yup, BLOPS2 should definetly have been a cross play game. I thought Sony said PS3 games don't take too long to port over to PSV?

Wasn't that Konami? I rememeber some MGS 4 footage for Vita.

It was possible to port Modern Warfare to the Wii, so it would have been possible to port BLOPS 2 to the Vita. It also has 512 MB RAM and the graphics could have been adjusted.

Top Bottom