• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Black Ops: Declassified |OT| Ad-Hoc Summary: It Is Not Terrible!

TwoDurans

"Never said I wasn't a hypocrite."
That was my point, I was being sarcastic. Most of my favorite games of all time would be rated at 5-7 if they were rated today. Doesn't mean I enjoyed them any less. Too many people let a score make their decision, which is part of the reason the game industry is in the shape it is in. There is no room for mediocre or average anymore, like this game. It's the epitome of average, but all these people who have only seen a video are declaring it shit.

Got it. Your sarcasm was completely lost on me. And yes I don't understand the state of gaming these days... at least when it comes to reviews. I never understood arbitrary numbered scores, but for some reason over the last decade or so they've degraded to 1-8 meaning "shit sucks" and 9-10 being "OMG this is the greatest game you'll ever play you should judge anyone who says otherwise."

Seventy5

Got it. Your sarcasm was completely lost on me. And yes I don't understand the state of gaming these days... at least when it comes to reviews. I never understood arbitrary numbered scores, but for some reason over the last decade or so they've degraded to 1-8 meaning "shit sucks" and 9-10 being "OMG this is the greatest game you'll ever play you should judge anyone who says otherwise."

I hate that it has become this contentious. I don't begrudge anyone for having fun with something, and I don't understand why others do either. But simply pointing out that a game, Declassified for instance, isn't trash as those who haven't played it say, gets me labelled as defense force, or justifying my purchase because of buyers remorse. It's insane. I think Red Steel looked like a pretty terrible game, but I never once felt compelled to go into a thread about it and state my opinion, even though I was an expert, having seen videos of it and all. That's mostly because I didn't own a Wii & my opinion didn't really matter, but also because it's a goddamn video game. If someone is having fun with it, why would I feel compelled to go piss on their parade? smh internet.

alterno69

Banned
So many reviewers talking about a broken game, have they not played the BLOPS 2? It has crashes my PS3 three times now and it was basically unplayable for me yesterday.

I think you are mixed up. The reviews and the way they are done hasn't changed, what's changed is how people look at reviews. Message Boards don't help, when you have some trying to dicredit reviews as well, when the reviews don't match their bias.

Foshy

There's no way in hell this deserves 2/10 scores. Leave those for fundamentally broken games.

Yes, the campaign is very short, but between hostiles mode and online there's a lot of replayability and fun to be had. It's very playable in short bursts, which is a plus as this is a handheld game. Online has been very smooth too, from my experience.

Gameplay and engine-wise, there's not much you can complain here. Feels like CoD.

This is anecdotal, of course, but I brought my Vita to school today and people were very positively impressed by how it looked and played. They had a lot of fun with hostiles.

TwoDurans

I hate that it has become this contentious. I don't begrudge anyone for having fun with something, and I don't understand why others do either. But simply pointing out that a game, Declassified for instance, isn't trash as those who haven't played it say, gets me labelled as defense force, or justifying my purchase because of buyers remorse. It's insane. I think Red Steel looked like a pretty terrible game, but I never once felt compelled to go into a thread about it and state my opinion, even though I was an expert, having seen videos of it and all. That's mostly because I didn't own a Wii & my opinion didn't really matter, but also because it's a goddamn video game. If someone is having fun with it, why would I feel compelled to go piss on their parade? smh internet.

http://imgur.com/6XglN

For the people saying that reviewers should have given the game more time.

http://www.pocketgamer.co.uk/r/3DS/Pocket+Gamer/news.asp?c=46618

Interesting. So the review went up at the risk of accuracy to 'save' readers from buying the game when no reviews are out.

Not sure if I agree with this philosophy, but at least they open about it.

If publishers aren't sending out reviews copies of a game it should be a huge red flag to anyone that they don't believe their game is any good.

Seventy5

LOL, pretty much spot on. Can I add an lol to the 42 minute campaign thing too? I've been playing for about 2 hours and I'm on the 4th mission. Yes, the campaign is very short, but their method of timing it would mean that RE5 is a sub 3 hour game because after going back and playing levels repeatedly, I got my overall time down to under 3 hours. smh.

fernoca

I also find weird how "supporting" this game at $50, negates me buying Ragnarok Mercenary Edition, Assassin's Creed Liberation, Need for Speed Most Wanted...day one at retail for Vita. Or having Persona 4 preordered which arrives next week. Because buying Declassified day one for $50 somehow disqualifies all other purchases, even for games that has been received better by reviewers.

I even got Silent Hill Book of Memories despite the game been the joke of many.

And as noted earlier, is not as if I'm ignorant towards expending money on games. I had Street Fighter x Tekken for Vita preordered and Gamestop had an offer that for $10 more you also received the PS3 version; of course I went with that.

Can't wait to play more.
Working for 7 days straight and sick ...just sucks. :p If anything , this thread also sold me on Unit 13, so will get it in the following days. XD

TwoDurans

If anything , this thread also sold me on Unit 13, so will get it in the following days. XD

You should wait. Unit13 was a great game, and overall a fun experience, but I also think it's going to be a free game with PSPlus very soon. If you have waited this long, what's another month or so, right?

Seventy5

You should wait. Unit13 was a great game, and overall a fun experience, but I also think it's going to be a free game with PSPlus very soon. If you have waited this long, what's another month or so, right?
It's not on the free game list, "only" Uncharted, Gravity Rush, Wipeout, MBA, FFT & JSR. Unit 13 is pretty cheap though, 30 bucks for a pretty meaty game.

fernoca

Knowing my luck, I could wait 6 more months and nothing, buy it and the game will be free the next day. :p

TwoDurans

It's not on the free game list, "only" Uncharted, Gravity Rush, Wipeout, MBA, FFT & JSR. Unit 13 is pretty cheap though, 30 bucks for a pretty meaty game.

Not yet. That list will change monthly, and Sony has pledged to give us at least one new "full retail" title a month. Since the Vita only has so large of a backlog of titles it's only a matter of time before Unit13 is available.

Seventy5

Not yet. That list will change monthly, and Sony has pledged to give us at least one new "full retail" title a month. Since the Vita only has so large of a backlog of titles it's only a matter of time before Unit13 is available.
Well damn them then. I have no choice now but to buy a bigger memory card. I read that there will be black friday deals on them, anyone know where?

Back on topic, I have to admit that I'm pretty disappointed that zombies aren't in CoDBoD, given the survival mode. I wonder if there is any chance that the android version could come to vita as a download on PSN or through PSMobile. I would definitely buy that. It seems so far that Declassified has sold decent, at least my experience getting into games online anyway. i wonder if that could cause Activision to consider it.

It has an online pass, and I think used copies lock out trophies.

filipe

We're widely off-topic here but you CAN play Call of Duty with the Pro controller, and only use the tablet when you want off-TV play.

I hate to go further off topic, but... can you, say, take the tablet to another room and still use the Pro Controller whilst looking off the tablet? Anyone know this?

That would be interesting since I share a TV with my girlfriend, and don't want to buy another one just yet.

TwoDurans

I hate to go further off topic, but... can you, say, take the tablet to another room and still use the Pro Controller whilst looking off the tablet? Anyone know this?

That would be interesting since I share a TV with my girlfriend, and don't want to buy another one just yet.

Admit it. You just want to play Call of Duty while you're answering nature's call to make doody.

That sure is a lot of apologizing for a game that isn't even out yet? Anyone wanna predict some Meta scores with me? I'll go with 53.

I had no idea how generous I was being with this prediction. It's currently sitting at a 29 on Metacritic. Yeesh. This will have to be a free Plus game really soon, right?

Seventy5

It doesn't and second part is wrong too.
Must have been Burning Skies then. Did Sony revise the trophy lockout thing? I bought NG Sigma Plus used a screen popped up saying I had to delete the game bubble and re-install to earn trophies since it was used. Trophies worked after I did that.

VanWinkle

It has an online pass, and I think used copies lock out trophies.

It does have an online pass, and Gamefly's used copies ALWAYS include the online pass. To earn trophies with used games, you need to let the game install the bubble, then DELETE the bubble, take out the game, put it back in and let it install a new one. Just like that, it will work fine.

Kazerei

Banned
Must have been Burning Skies then. Did Sony revise the trophy lockout thing? I bought NG Sigma Plus used a screen popped up saying I had to delete the game bubble and re-install to earn trophies since it was used. Trophies worked after I did that.

The trophy lockout thing is the same with every game. You have to start a new save to start earning trophies. It's to prevent people from getting trophies by sharing saves.

Mmmm ... thanks.

sly16bit

Neo Member
There's no way in hell this deserves 2/10 scores. Leave those for fundamentally broken games.

Yes, the campaign is very short, but between hostiles mode and online there's a lot of replayability and fun to be had. It's very playable in short bursts, which is a plus as this is a handheld game. Online has been very smooth too, from my experience.

Gameplay and engine-wise, there's not much you can complain here. Feels like CoD.

This is anecdotal, of course, but I brought my Vita to school today and people were very positively impressed by how it looked and played. They had a lot of fun with hostiles.

I think some people forget that this is a handheld game. Games like these have not seen the light of day very often in the past years.. there have been a couple of successful attempts at making a good FPS on handhelds.. Metroid Prime Hunters, Modern Combat and N.O.V.A come to mind here. Like them or not, these were some of the best handheld FPS games of the past years. How does CoD BO Declassified compare to those games is the real question here, imo.

Seventy5

I think some people forget that this is a handheld game. Games like these have not seen the light of day very often in the past years.. there have been a couple of successful attempts at making a good FPS on handhelds.. Metroid Prime Hunters, Modern Combat and N.O.V.A come to mind here. Like them or not, these were some of the best handheld FPS games of the past years. How does CoD BO Declassified compare to those games is the real question here, imo.
I never played MPH, but the other two games are better packages than Declassified overall, especially in terms of campaign and content, and especially price. I would easily rather play one of those on vita than this game, but they aren't on vita for whatever reason. I can't stand touch screen fps, so for me this game is competent enough to scratch the fps itch. If the latest NOVA is a 7, this game is a 5.

kitch9

Banned
how come all the reviews say the A.I is terrible and very dumb but none of the people on here who are playing it mention how bad it is?

game has been totally slaughtered!!

what a shambles!

None of us are playing it on easy to have a quick look.... The AI is pretty tough on higher difficulties.

I'm hoping some extra multiplayer content comes along to flesh this game out a bit and it would be pretty competent as multiplayer mobile games go..... I wish Nhilistic had not bothered with the shit campaign (Most COD campaigns are shit.) and just focused on the multi.

test_account

XP-39C²
The Edge review mentions that you have to drag and drop to throw a grenade. This is not the case. You can simply aim at the designated target and tap the grenade icon once, no need to drag to where you want to throw it. You can do that if you want of course, but it is not necessary.

how come all the reviews say the A.I is terrible and very dumb but none of the people on here who are playing it mention how bad it is?
Even if the AI isnt smart (which is true, the AI isnt very smart), the enemies still shoot at you a lot and they also hit a lot.

I feel that game reviews are becoming more and more like film reviews, a 100% personal, subjective perspective with no objectivity at all.

Most reviews are subjective in nature though... right? Always saw it that way.

But they have never been this subjective, there has always been objectivity in there, mostly because of the technical aspect of it. Now days they just don't care, unless it's negative.

Bigmac1910, how exactly does one go about writing an objective game review?

By not only caring about your own emotional perspective, but also the technical achievement of the game. According to most reviews Declassified is flat out broken that just plain emotional reaction, according to the community it's not that bad.

TheMink

Ive played an absurd amount of online, how could this game be reviewed so badly?
I have nothing but good things to say about it.

Seventy5

Bigmac1910, how exactly does one go about writing an objective game review?
"Call of Duty Black Ops Declassified is a game. When we put it into our Vita, it worked. Pushing buttons made things happen, and at the end, words. On the scale of Not A Game to Actually A Game, we rate this Actually A Game."

Ive played an absurd amount of online, how could this game be reviewed so badly?
Same here. I have yet to get an attack chopper though, I keep getting killed when I have a 6 kill streak. Also, stop enjoying this game, haven't you read the reviews?

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag

The game deserves to be bashed for the ultra-short "campaign," glitches, and high price tag.

But that said, despite its flaws, the game's online multiplayer is good and there's no other portable FPS that plays as well as it does. Maybe Gameloft should think about porting Modern Combat or NOVA to Vita and there could be some competition.

Top Bottom