• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Black Ops II |OT| Black to the Future

Rainy Dog

I just tried this and wow, the blurry washed out look is completely gone. I did this multiple times to make sure i wasn't seeing things. Holy bad programming batman.

They better fix this shit ASAP.

EDIT- this affects the multiplayer engine too right? I can't check since it signs you out if you don't download the patch.

Yes, even seems to affect the clarity of the in game hud. Try it in local or lan mode against bots.

SJRB

Gold Member
Yep, I swear aim assist even seems to work through walls now.

True, I've had several times where my weapon would start moving on its own, pretty much indicating that an enemy was about to run around the corner. Resulting in me getting the drop on him before he even knew what was happening.

There is some typical COD shit going on, but overall I like the game so far. Albeit in small portions. It's good to see the classic tactics like "always flank, stay away from the center of the map" still work like a charm.

raviolico

so...as someone who really enjoyed Combat Training in Blops1: is XP progression w/unlockables completely gone now in bot matches? everything is right there from the start? or i`m just to tiered to see/realize things? ;-)

MrDaravon

I dunno if I'm terrible with it (likely) or I'm getting hit with lag compensation, but I can never do jack shit with the FAL. Is it always a 3-shot no matter what? I seem to put half a clip into dudes and they don't die. I'm tempted to level it up to get to the auto-fire attachment, but eh.

I'm having fun, but this is pretty much "Shot in the Back: The Game". It looks like the spawning has the same problems as the last game, and Treyarch still believe every room needs at least eight entrances.

Jack_AG

Banned
Now that im getting some matches in my ps3 is shutting down like its overheating.
Not overheating - just freezing or outright crashing. From listening to my fan its extremely tame compared to other games like BF3 which make my fan kick on the highest setting almost constantly. My whole gaming are gets warm with BF3 but no change in BO2.

Jack_AG

Banned
I'm having fun, but this is pretty much "Shot in the Back: The Game". It looks like the spawning has the same problems as the last game, and Treyarch still believe every room needs at least eight entrances.
Spawn Ops 2. On hijack I spawned on the bow of the ship and ran around the corner - boom - 2 guys on top of one another standing in the doorway I just ran out from. Killcam shows me standing still for a second before moving out the door - he literally spawned about 3 feet behind me, chased me around the corner then got me.

Realyn

The lag compensation in this game is disgusting. I recently upgraded from 15Mbps to 50 and the lag is extreme.

2m52l.png

Even with my connection I'm often getting 2-3 bars, so I assume lag compensation is punishing me for having a decent connection in an attempt to level the playing field. We have a Canadian in our group who lags to shit with a 768kb connection and somehow he dominates the game; even his kill cams are BS (pulling people back from around corners) and show lag compensation is aiding him.
I've said it just two pages prior to your post. Your Up and Downrate have nothing, absolutly nothing to do with your ping.

1mb up/down are enough to play every game with a ping of <20 if the internet connection is good.

DoomGyver

After the disaster of BLOPs 1 on PS3, I'm surprised anyone would buy that version unless it's your only console. I bought blops day 1 for ps3 and sold it within a week. Disgrace.

It's happening to a lot of people with low latency connections. There are a bunch of posts about it over the past couple of pages.

I think what's happening is that the netcode tries to level the playing field between players with different latencies. And those of us with low latency connections, especially FIOS and other fiber based connections, are getting screwed. The lag compensation is skewed way too far in favor of those with slower connections. I'm guessing it also excessively punishes the host in order to eliminate their advantage.

From what I understand is that the bigger the difference between you and the slowest connection in the game, the more lag compensation you will be hit with. That's why some people have more success by filtering for "best" connections, since theoretically the range of latencies will be smaller in those games (Even though in practice the game just tends to stick you in games that just aren't full yet instead).

Both MW3 and BO2 have been way too aggressive with this code, though, making it so getting artificially lagged by the netcode is several orders worse than just having a generally laggy connection.

I swear they doubled the aim assist in this game, i feel like im cheating or something. Mash L1+R1 faster then an enemy.. WIN!

they have, let someone run by my scope and it'll damn near move me in a half circle without me doing anything. Don't know whats the point of making guns less accurate if you're gonna ramp up aim assist too.

Then you obviously haven't played it and you just want to convince yourself that softcore is better :) It's fine, hardcore isn't for everyone.

If you are a casual COD player like myself, I prefer regular over hardcore. Some people, believe it or not, just want to have fun when they play a game......I know its kind of a hard concept to grasp sometimes.

Sethos

Banned
If you are a casual COD player like myself, I prefer regular over hardcore. Some people, believe it or not, just want to have fun when they play a game......I know its kind of a hard concept to grasp sometimes.

Maybe you should read what I'm replying to before getting hurt man, the guy calls hardcore a mode for 'little girls' which obviously can't be true when every casual and laid back player prefers regular. ( Not that they are 'little girls' but regular is just more forgiving ).

Hardcore kicks your teeth in when you make the tiniest mistake or ain't paying attention for a second.

Maybe you should read what I'm replying to before getting hurt man, the guy calls hardcore a mode for 'little girls' which obviously can't be true when every casual and laid back player prefers regular. ( Not that they are 'little girls' but regular is just more forgiving ).

Hardcore kicks your teeth in when you make the tiniest mistake or ain't paying attention for a second.

I am not hurt I am just putting my two cents in....embrace the debate. he was wrong BTW....I guess he does the league play I am assuming.

redhot_

they have, let someone run by my scope and it'll damn near move me in a half circle without me doing anything. Don't know whats the point of making guns less accurate if you're gonna ramp up aim assist too.

Ya if your in a room with some lag it sometimes feels you just have chance what so ever.

Remmy2112

I thought so too until I saw THIS. That guy is really good though so it might be the player more than the weapon.

That guy may be good with a shotgun but if that video is any indication, paired with his high prestige rank, he is only playing Nuketown. That map is almost all close quarters combat, especially if you do what he does and put a tactical insertion in the corner of the enemy spawn and nobody notices. It is really easy to pull off high streaks with the shotgun under those circumstances, which would be hard to replicate on other maps unless you just camped out a small, high traffic room and made it your killing field.

Touch

What's up with the game sometimes removing my create a classes and replacing them with high level guns? Mainly only happens when queing Team Deathmatch.

-TK-

Oh, I hate these kind of comments so much. Some gamers always seems to think that only way to have fun is to play softcore and running everywhere like an idiot, hohoh.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
Why did they up the damage of everything anyway, did we ever get a real reason?

If they hadn't messed around with it playing would be a far less frustrating time, if you don't know exactly where someone is when they start shooting you then there is rarely a chance to get away or defend yourself unless you are already running, it would be a lot easier to deal with this nonsensical lag compensation if it took more than a second to die.

My only wish is that I had picked up a WiFi 360 so I could stick it on that instead of wired so I'm not getting consistently screwed over.

My friends and I every other month do a "games night" where they come over on a friday evening and we play a drink till around 7am, we've been doing it since MW2 came out but this might be the first time we go back a game for the game nights because I'm not sure I can deal with the night long frustration of playing this constantly.
Though I guess 4 of us on one connection might actually be better of the lag comp, lol.

Rainy Dog

Then you obviously haven't played it and you just want to convince yourself that softcore is better :) It's fine, hardcore isn't for everyone.

I'd be all over hardcore if it weren't for the 30% health. Softcore damage model is high enough I feel, in hardcore all the weapons are effectively the same in practice since they all just become 1-2 shot kills max.

But yeah, I prefer the tension and pace at which matches generally play out, lack of mini map and friendly fire.

The first day of this game felt great for me, I was untouchable. I was basically running around like an idiot killing everything, had a 2.8 k/d and I was just dicking around. 2 days later and I'm struggling to go positve. dunno what changed for me, but I've seen both sides of lag compensation, and it's not pretty being on the wrong end of things.

Edit: and I'm starting to try more of the weapons and I'm noticing some pretty bad balancing with the weapons, the higher level weapons seem to be alot better than the starter ones, but that could've been a conscious decision by Treyarch though.

Kyoufu

Why did they up the damage of everything anyway, did we ever get a real reason?

The damage feels like COD to me. I haven't noticed it going up. This is another annual comment on GAF just like "spawns are terrible omg it was never like this before" when it hasn't really changed much if any.

Anyone using FAL? How do you make it so beastly like in that video? I attached Select Fire onto it but the damage hasn't gone up tbh.

Sethos

Banned
The first day of this game felt great for me, I was untouchable. I was basically running around like an idiot killing everything, had a 2.8 k/d and I was just dicking around. 2 days later and I'm struggling to go positve. dunno what changed for me, but I've seen both sides of lag compensation, and it's not pretty being on the wrong end of things.

Oh you too? I was doing great the first few days, playing today ... Downhill, slowly. People getting better, map knowledge increasing, figuring out the little niggles of the game and just pure fucking luck on their side and no luck on mine. They ALWAYS know where I am it feels, despite all the perks and no noise, they ALWAYS look the right place and shoot before the round the corner ... Man it's annoying :p

yeah, usually i can stomach cod pretty easily coz im running around most of the time, but this time round it looks like shit on ps3

Blops 1 looked and played like shit on PS3 too. I made the mistake of buying it on that system and sold it within about 2 weeks because of all the issues. PC version of this game is very solid.

Tarps

Why do people quit a losing match - it's still recorded as a loss right?

I'm fed up of being parachuted into a losing team with seconds to spare - argh

Despite the issues, I'm still having a blast!

Top Bottom