• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Black Ops II |OT| Black to the Future

Liberty4all

Banned
honestly, I finding halo to be a lot more fun at this point.

I've read through the threads and reviews ... Seems like it might be the safer choice. Thanks for the opinion. I've been away from cod for so long I thought it might be worth hopping back in but there is SO much goodness coming out right now I have to be choosy.

Arucardo

Because the only way to remove quickscoping would be to remove the entire sniper class, and that's no fun.
Is COD the only competitive shooter you've played? You could mitigate most quickscoping by adding a significant amount of spread to snipers for second or two after ADS.

Rainy Dog

Is COD the only competitive shooter you've played? You could mitigate most quickscoping by adding a significant amount of spread to snipers for second or two after ADS.

Or just make it so it takes a second or two to actually go into ADS with a sniper rifle. You know, like real life.

Like many of the shitty things this series has taken on board though, I still feel quick-scoping is a by-product if the COD community itself. Probably the biggest single compaint of the average COD player is 'camping'. And who are the biggest 'campers' of them all?

So as a consequence we now have these cramped, mazy maps where it's nigh on impossible to properly snipe. And so the only way for sniper rifles to function is via. sprinting around like everyone else and quick-scoping.

aku:jiki

No, I'm saying that quickscoping doesn't mean "use quickdraw to scope in and fire in less than half a second," it means "fire as soon as possible after scoping in, as opposed to staying scoped in most of the time."

And they already tried the lack of accuracy directly after scoping in thing in Black Ops 1, and it just doesn't work in CoD. Maps are too small and tight and people move too fast, and you lose too much of your situational awareness if you just stay scoped in all the time.

And they already tried the lack of accuracy directly after scoping in thing in Black Ops 1, and it just doesn't work in CoD. Maps are too small and tight and people move too fast, and you lose too much of your situational awareness if you just stay scoped in all the time.

There are a number of decent-sized Black Ops maps, that had a plenty of long lines-of-sight for snipers: Array, Crisis, Discovery, Convoy, Hotel, Silo, Hazard, etc.
And Black Ops didn't nerf the accuracy of sniper rifles - they just removed the glitch that gave sniper rifles 100% aim assist in that fraction of a second when pulling up the scope.

The return of quick-scoping, something many people thought helped ruin the gameplay, was surely brought back due to the vocal MW2 majority. You know, those people that thought OMA made the game fun too.

Black Ops did sniping properly. If the balance between combat ranges and suitable weapon categories for those ranges don't work (close=SMG, mid=AR, long=sniper) then there's a fundamental problem with the gameplay mechanics, not the map size. If every map was the size of Nuketown or Summit, that would be another thing. Other games seen to get this right.
My take on what the problem is - the aim assist values are too damn high. Game basically aims itself. Just tonight I got dropped from halfway across a map, while I was supposedly behind cover with an AR trained on my opponent, when he spun in my direction with his SMG and killed me with blind hipfire before I could even pull the trigger.

So I just watched a walkthrough of the game and I'm left wondering...
Why the hell don't they just kill Menendez. It would save everyone soo much trouble, like seriously they capture him and he escapes 4 times. At some point its just worth it to put a bullet between his eyes.

iNvid02

Which is something you don't want in this game, because the host gets the dirty end of the stick, not host advantage like in the old days.

doesnt feel like anythings changed though, im still doing better when i have host. but then my search pref has always been best so there
prob aren't many people with poor connections in the game, so no lag overcompensation

According to Treyarch, Double XP is available for everyone who redeemed the Nuketown 2025 code.

it starts tonight at 12:01 for the weekend right?

edit: no its 6pm GMT, should be able to jump from 30-55 with enough domination

SteveWD40

Loving this so far (PC), no mouse acceleration! it just feels so much better than MW2 / 3 with the kb/m. The campaign custom loadouts is a great idea as well, might actually replay some of these missions several times.

Will give MP / Zombies a hammering this weekend.

Riposte

Now that I've given it a lot of time I do have quite a few problems with the multiplayer, both large and small. Overall I don't like it enough to play for longer than a week (Call of Duty is Call of Duty at the end of the day), but it was an alright ride with friends.

I want it confirmed before I cry "lag compensation", but it is really obvious at times. I mostly see it with killcams which show me shooting slightly in the wrong direction, as if I was attacking their shadow, where they were a moment before. When I was using shield for awhile (and utterly destroying my K/D lol) I saw this very clearly when I would move my shield to block an enemy's knife, but on the killcam I didn't react. This is pretty much the deal breaker. I also see it a lot with that single-slug shotgun. Inaccurate / laggy killcams are nothing new, but this appears to be worse (or more accurately it looks like a killcam when I have a very slow connection when I don't). Or maybe I'm just being scrubby. Despite all this, when I'm using good weapons (SMG or AR) I can get 1.8-3 K/D, just nothing spectacular is happening.

I find that shotguns and LMGs are not worth my time. The maps, the overall pace of the game, and maybe just how weapons and perks work make me fail to see the point of an overwatch position outside of very specific scenarios in some objective games that are hard to put together. Shotguns, well... why not use hip fire on a SMG or AR instead? They seem comparatively worse than usual though.

And the shield. They need to decide if it is suppose to be a joke weapon or not. It seems like they have just been making it worse and worse. Now it doesn't even work as a shield really. I remember in MW2 I could make it work alright in Domination, but now I just feel like I'm handicapping myself since whether it be defending from short range or long range (considering that the best defense is a good offense), I'm just worse. Are they afraid of making it overpowered? Its melee is too weak, it doesn't protect you enough, and you are too slow (especially when you have to crouch to block your feet).

If I'm wrong, feel free to call me out.

I don't see much room to stealth in this game and the fact Ghost is the last unlock is pretty silly. That alone puts it below MW2 to me. MW2, despite its flaws, was probably the most interesting Call of Duty to me because I could get so many weird builds to work to some degree.

As for the campaign I couldn't be bothered to continue halfway through the first mission. Too dull. Zombies looks like a downgrade from Spec Ops.

aku:jiki

And Black Ops didn't nerf the accuracy of sniper rifles - they just removed the glitch that gave sniper rifles 100% aim assist in that fraction of a second when pulling up the scope.
There is and has never been any such thing; better have some proof links ready before you reply and try to tell me that there is. What Black Ops did, but was patched out, was make it so that for a second or two after scoping in, shots would randomly miss, and your scope would not be placed where your pre-aim reticule was before scoping in. Talking about it being some kind of glitch exploit is tinfoil hat territory, you just sound crazy to anyone who understands the game mechanics.

I don't understand why some of you seem to believe that each new CoD exists in a vacuum. Why is it so hard to believe that some people are just that good at aiming their quickscopes? I mean, this is the only game the majority of them play, and they've been doing it for like 5 years now. Why wouldn't they be that fast and accurate? Trying to blame it on a glitch just screams of you being a sore loser.

The only thing I can agree with is that IW's insistence on perks that make it far easier is unnecessary. Quickscoping is a lot more satisfying and fair when it takes a little bit to raise the scope.

My take on what the problem is - the aim assist values are too damn high. Game basically aims itself. Just tonight I got dropped from halfway across a map, while I was supposedly behind cover with an AR trained on my opponent, when he spun in my direction with his SMG and killed me with blind hipfire before I could even pull the trigger.
What you're complaining about here is lag compensation, not aim assist, and there's no way an SMG hipfire spray killed you "halfway across the map." You sound confused.

Sethos

Banned
Using m&kb online on the 360 is fair? :p Btw, does the auto aim in the game interfere with it?

It does, need to turn it off.

Do you wait a bit more to get a match that way? Is it too much time or just a bit more? Thanks.

Nope, instant just like the other mode but connection feels better - Even with yellow bars there's no "Dead before he rounded the corner" crap. Obviously this needs a lot of testing and can be a placebo.

SmokeMaxX

Can someone give me a brief rundown on any new gametypes? I'm definitely gonna get some criticism for this, but World At War was definitely my favorite CoD (and I used to play semi-competitively). A big part of this is because I absolutely LOVED War. Any new gametypes to play in BO2?

EDIT: Just read the OP. Ehhhh....
Multiteam seems fun from Quake 2 days, but Hardpoint is just headquarters with a new coat of paint...

Sojgat

Thanks to people who pointed out the best search function, it seems like Treyarch could have made it a little more obvious to find, but it helps a lot.

Tattooth

Is Nuketown 2025 supposed to come with all first run copies, or just pre-orders?
I just got my copy now and it wasn't included.

fuenf

Oh shit, dont delete the patch on PS3 if you are currently playing the campaign. Your save wont work without the patch, had to redownload it to continue.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
This game is really violent and for the first time it actually bothers me. I can't believe the game effectively starts with the image of someone burning to death. That was not cool. This is gratuitous gruesomeness and it makes me a little nauseous.

Victrix

*beard*
This game is really violent and for the first time it actually bothers me. I can't believe the game effectively starts with the image of someone burning to death. That was not cool. This is gratuitous gruesomeness and it makes me a little nauseous.

I'm torn between 'it should bother you' and 'it should be an escapist power fantasy like every other fps'

I'm not sure what the right answer is honestly. BO2, the next unintentional Spec Ops: The Line :eek:

Victrix

*beard*
SMGs are really really strong in this game. It's almost unfair as they decimate you even from a distance.

They're crap at a distance :p But yes, they are strong up close. Part of it is the maps, part of it is the modes (Hardpoint is all kinds of SMG friendly), and part of it is that the ARs and LMGs don't blossom until you level them up, and some of the later ARs are significantly better than the early ones.

Pick an AR you like, level it up, take Toughness, slap a Target Finder on it and keep SMG users at arms length - you'll find they can't do squat to you.

Of course, depending on the map and mode, that varies from 'a bit challenging' to 'god damnit, shot in the ass again'.

Which is another issue of the current leveling curve - once you have Scavenger and Shock Charges/Claymores/Betties, you can actually set up a defensive area again.

The lack of footstep sounds is also part of the problem.

Kyoufu

They're crap at a distance :p But yes, they are strong up close. Part of it is the maps, part of it is the modes (Hardpoint is all kinds of SMG friendly), and part of it is that the ARs and LMGs don't blossom until you level them up, and some of the later ARs are significantly better than the early ones.

Pick an AR you like, level it up, take Toughness, slap a Target Finder on it and keep SMG users at arms length - you'll find they can't do squat to you.

Of course, depending on the map and mode, that varies from 'a bit challenging' to 'god damnit, shot in the ass again'.

Which is another issue of the current leveling curve - once you have Scavenger and Shock Charges/Claymores/Betties, you can actually set up a defensive area again.

Yeah lack of footsteps bothers me but you can increase the SMG range so it's annoying :/

Wow the PC version is flawless for me. They really did improve it. Played for a few hours last night and every map was fun, the guns feel and sound great, can't wait to play some more tonight.

Victrix

*beard*
Yeah lack of footsteps bothers me but you can increase the SMG range so it's annoying :/

Long Barrel is a very minimal increase in range, it's still nothing on ARs or LMGs. SMGs drop to 6 shots at a distance, most of the ARs can kill in 3/4 shots, and have better recoil profiles for long range shooting. And the FAL/SMR can down in two shots, or a headshot close enough.

It's keeping that distance thats the tricky part.

Fistwell

Yeah I don't understand that. What the fuck. Who thought it'd be a good idea? Is that part of the war on camping™? Some of the changes I can get behind, some others I don't care either way (e.g. ghost unlocked @lvl55). But muffling up footsteps is goddam moronic.

Those Guardian things are pretty fucking annoying.
Shock grenade thingies piss me off more, people are just spamming the shit out of them right now.
full disclosure, messed with key binding, don't know what I've set for non-lethals, bitter I can't shock bitches like everybody else... maybe I should take 5ecs to look it up next time I boot up the game lol.

fuenf

yeah i wondered about it myself, i couldnt believe how violent a later mission was
the one in Nicaragua (?), it reminded me a lot of No Russian.

Hmm are you playing on PC? I hear footsteps on my headset with my onboard audio :/ Though I still have it set to "5.1 to stereo downmix" because of Dark Souls so you might try that if you can.

Kyoufu

Long Barrel is a very minimal increase in range, it's still nothing on ARs or LMGs. SMGs drop to 6 shots at a distance, most of the ARs can kill in 3/4 shots, and have better recoil profiles for long range shooting. And the FAL/SMR can down in two shots, or a headshot close enough.

It's keeping that distance thats the tricky part.

Yeah but honestly, there is no distance on 90% of these maps. They mostly favour SMGs. Not complaining though.

Top Bottom