• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Black Ops II |OT| Black to the Future

TheOddOne

Activision: Black Ops 2 generated $500 million in 24 hours
Activision is claiming that it has delivered the biggest game launch of the year with Call of Duty: Black Ops 2, estimating that the latest Treyarch game made $500 million in sales on day one.

Sales data was consolidated via sales monitor GFK Chart-Track along with "retail customer sell-through information" and "internal company estimates".

However, the publisher has yet to confirm whether or not Black Ops 2 is the fastest-selling title in Call of Duty history.

Activision chief executive Bobby Kotick claimed that life-to-date sales for the Call of Duty franchise have exceeded Star Wars.

He added: "With first day sales of over half a billion dollars worldwide, we believe Call of Duty is the biggest entertainment launch of the year for the fourth year in a row".

Black Ops 2 launched across the west on November 13th with an estimated 16,000 midnight openings across retail.

"Call of Duty has become more than a product people buy, it's a brand people buy into," said publishing boss Eric Hirshberg.

Victrix

*beard*
Yeah I don't understand that. What the fuck. Who thought it'd be a good idea? Is that part of the war on camping™? Some of the changes I can get behind, some others I don't care either way (e.g. ghost unlocked @lvl55). But muffling up footsteps is goddam moronic.

I have no idea. I thought they learned from BO.

There's a balance to be struck between 'I can't hear shit' and 'I'm using this perk to echolocate you like a fucking bat', and that balance is refined with the use of crouching to muffle footsteps and different surface noises.

That's a huge part of map design, and one they seem to have completely ignored. It was used to great effect in CoD4 and particularly MW2 (oh listen, a fool sprinting on metal!)

Treyarch's war on camping has certainly been successful, and I'm not sure I like the game quite as much as a result. It's the balance between all styles of play that makes cod interesting, tilting it too far in any direction makes for boredom (excessively campy) or frustrating (excessively run and... gunny?)

Fistwell

Treyarch's war on camping has certainly been successful, and I'm not sure I like the game quite as much as a result. It's the balance between all styles of play that makes cod interesting, tilting it too far in any direction makes for boredom (excessively campy) or frustrating (excessively run and... gunny?)
I feel the game is striking a decent balance right now. Excessive camping in dark corners used to really bother me in previous cods (can't speak for mw3, didn't really bother with it). There's a lot of bum rushing now and rounds tend to get messy, but overall I like it better. Completely subjective obviously.

That said, they could have killed camping without killing footsteps. Canceling out the audio dimension of the cat and mouse game is unfortunate and probably wasn't necessary.

Hmm are you playing on PC? I hear footsteps on my headset with my onboard audio :/ Though I still have it set to "5.1 to stereo downmix" because of Dark Souls so you might try that if you can.
Thanks for the tip, will look into it.

cameltoe

even with awareness or whatever its called, I cannot hear footsteps (using headphones) yet in the killcam dude is loud as fuck.

The footsteps from teammates dont even sound like footsteps.....I dont get it.

Victrix

*beard*
360 here, I tried setting the audio mix to the loudest 'overdrive' setting, lowering music and speech, and turning up the volume on my amp and...

I still can't hear shit. I've literally had people in the room with me, missing knife swings while I was moving around looking out a window or whatever, and never heard them until I was dead.

Now that I've given it a lot of time I do have quite a few problems with the multiplayer, both large and small. Overall I don't like it enough to play for longer than a week (Call of Duty is Call of Duty at the end of the day), but it was an alright ride with friends.

I want it confirmed before I cry "lag compensation", but it is really obvious at times. I mostly see it with killcams which show me shooting slightly in the wrong direction, as if I was attacking their shadow, where they were a moment before. When I was using shield for awhile (and utterly destroying my K/D lol) I saw this very clearly when I would move my shield to block an enemy's knife, but on the killcam I didn't react. This is pretty much the deal breaker. I also see it a lot with that single-slug shotgun. Inaccurate / laggy killcams are nothing new, but this appears to be worse (or more accurately it looks like a killcam when I have a very slow connection when I don't). Or maybe I'm just being scrubby. Despite all this, when I'm using good weapons (SMG or AR) I can get 1.8-3 K/D, just nothing spectacular is happening.

I find that shotguns and LMGs are not worth my time. The maps, the overall pace of the game, and maybe just how weapons and perks work make me fail to see the point of an overwatch position outside of very specific scenarios in some objective games that are hard to put together. Shotguns, well... why not use hip fire on a SMG or AR instead? They seem comparatively worse than usual though.

And the shield. They need to decide if it is suppose to be a joke weapon or not. It seems like they have just been making it worse and worse. Now it doesn't even work as a shield really. I remember in MW2 I could make it work alright in Domination, but now I just feel like I'm handicapping myself since whether it be defending from short range or long range (considering that the best defense is a good offense), I'm just worse. Are they afraid of making it overpowered? Its melee is too weak, it doesn't protect you enough, and you are too slow (especially when you have to crouch to block your feet).

If I'm wrong, feel free to call me out.

I don't see much room to stealth in this game and the fact Ghost is the last unlock is pretty silly. That alone puts it below MW2 to me. MW2, despite its flaws, was probably the most interesting Call of Duty to me because I could get so many weird builds to work to some degree.

As for the campaign I couldn't be bothered to continue halfway through the first mission. Too dull. Zombies looks like a downgrade from Spec Ops.

This is all true.

mxgt

Banned
Can't hear footsteps for shit either here on PC with headphones.

I think I've had 1 kill in my time playing that was aided by the ability to slightly hear his footsteps.

It's fucking bullshit, I used to love sound whoring in COD.

Sethos

Banned
Hmm are you playing on PC? I hear footsteps on my headset with my onboard audio :/ Though I still have it set to "5.1 to stereo downmix" because of Dark Souls so you might try that if you can.

I'm playing on 360 with an Astro A50 with all that surround jazz enabled, the footsteps are really hard to hear. Well, except your own.

On another note, the "Best" connection preference really is working wonders for me. 10+ games in a row and I've not been killed by some bullshit, killed before I even got around a corner or killed and rubber banded back after moving behind a wall. Even went 12 - 1 in a S&D just now. It's excellent.

Granted, could be a very, very lucky coincident that it puts me in good matches and has nothing to do with the setting.

gogogow

Can't hear footsteps for shit either here on PC with headphones.

I think I've had 1 kill in my time playing that was aided by the ability to slightly hear his footsteps.

It's fucking bullshit, I used to love sound whoring in COD.

Aren't Treyarch CODs always like that? Blops 2 is the first Treyarch COD I bought since WaW and the missing footsteps sfx is jarring.

smr00

Banned
doesnt feel like anythings changed though, im still doing better when i have host. but then my search pref has always been best so there
prob aren't many people with poor connections in the game, so no lag overcompensation

it starts tonight at 12:01 for the weekend right?

edit: no its 6pm GMT, should be able to jump from 30-55 with enough domination
6PM GMT is what? 1PM EST?

Also, anyone have Astro A40's? The new 2013 model? I have been debating about getting a pair for about 2 years now and i hear the 2013 model is a big improvement but my concern is if it's actually worth $250, i have a pair of Tritton 720s and i am wondering if $250 is a justifiable price to upgrade (for gaming/blu-rays). Take into account $250 is a lot of money to me.

Fistwell

I still can't hear shit. I've literally had people in the room with me, missing knife swings while I was moving around looking out a window or whatever, and never heard them until I was dead.
lol yeah that's happened. Also had a cple of cases of "where the fuck did that come from??" only to see the guy dogging me and furiously spraying for several seconds on kill cam. Didn't hear steps, didn't hear (suppressed) shots, didn't hear impacts...

On another note, the "Best" connection preference really is working wonders for me. 10+ games in a row and I've not been killed by some bullshit, killed before I even got around a corner or killed and rubber banded back after moving behind a wall. Even went 12 - 1 in a S&D just now. It's excellent.

Granted, could be a very, very lucky coincident that it puts me in good matches and has nothing to do with the setting.
Hasn't changed much for me. Actually started doing worse than before a little (maybe the product of higher-ed expectations?).

Anyone else on PC find the sound mix is really muffled? I have to turn my amp up really high just to get it at a reasonable volume. Not even talking about footsteps which I think they've really fucked up on pretty badly.
Yeah, see above. I sometimes don't hear the guy spraying me with a suppressed SMG from 5 feet away. Maybe footsteps weren't intentional and they just goofed the entire mix.

Victrix

*beard*
It's actually really fucking annoying, because that sound stuff is contributing to the feeling of 'these maps are too small, these spawns are bullshit, these smgs are too strong', because you can't fucking hear people sprinting up behind you.

I don't mind dying to getting flanked, I don't mind dying to someone sneaking up on me, I do mind dying to someone who was running around like an idiot and only spotted me at the last second when I should have easily heard them coming.

Anyone else on PC find the sound mix is really muffled? I have to turn my amp up really high just to get it at a reasonable volume. Not even talking about footsteps which I think they've really fucked up on pretty badly.

Sethos

Banned
Also, anyone have Astro A40's? The new 2013 model? I have been debating about getting a pair for about 2 years now and i hear the 2013 model is a big improvement but my concern is if it's actually worth $250, i have a pair of Tritton 720s and i am wondering if $250 is a justifiable price to upgrade (for gaming/blu-rays). Take into account $250 is a lot of money to me.

I have the A50s which are ... Basically the same. I've had a few of these high-end game headsets, like Turtle Beach, some Steelseries etc. and they were all rubbish. Tinny sounds, too much treble, flat bass response and simply not worth the money. Coming from an HD650 and external DAC on my PC I do have some high expectations but the A50s are superb. Bass is extremely meaty, sound is really crisp and the surround effect is solid. I'm really surprised by them, plus they are very comfortable. Price is still a tad steep in my opinion but I don't regret it for a second.

Only problem is, none in the current range are working with a wired 360 controller and voice. Your voice will skip and you can't hear anybody. That's down to a resistor in the headset, they are sending out new models and they gladly take the old ones back to fix it. I've RMAd mine with the store I bought it from, he'll send me some from the new range and then I'll send my current one back.

Then again, if you aren't using a wired controller then there's no need to worry :p

However you won't find much use for any of the surround sound mah-jazz in this game, because of the poor sound implementation and muffling.

iNvid02

6PM GMT is what? 1PM EST?

i have some old a40s and they've been great, but im having trouble hearing footsteps in blops 2 - first time its ever happened.
a40s are no match for a soundcard and some nice cans but they are one of the best options available for playing on console

time until double xp weekend starts

t1353088800z0.png

mxgt

Banned

I notice that the direction of sounds is also kind of fucked up

I'll hear shots behind me, turn around and nothing is there. I also hear gunshots from out of bounds when i'm on the edge of the map

Anyone else getting this?

SteveWD40

On my speakers it was awful, much better with headphones but yes, really quiet it seems (and all set to max).

I also miss footsteps, I was like Rutger Hauer in Blind Fury back in COD4...

rezuth

For people having lag compensation problems have you tried changing your search preferences to "Best" instead of "Normal"? It worked pretty well for me.

Video showing how and where to do this

YES! I knew I wasn't just imagining that I shoot people first. I turn this shit on and first game I go 30 kills.. FINALLY.. I've been hovering around 15-18 before and I swear 8/10 times I get killed in confrontations I should have gotten a kill.

Halcyon

So I'm up to level 38 or so and I think I've found my way.

I LOVE the m27. I've been running m27 with three attachments(actually 4) the optic sight has an acog and reflex combined,quick mag, and the forward grip.

I dropped my secondary wep and I have a bouncing Bettie and a shock charge.

Perks are lightweight cold blooded and dexterity.

I think this is a really versatile setup for how I play and the m27 has an awesome fire rate and damage. I can routinely beat smgs if I anticipate corner confrontations.

I like blops 2. There are definitely matches where the lag makes it almost unplayable but I usually just back out and try a different lobby.

Oh and zombies is like some sort of weird Freddy Kruger nightmare. Its pretty awesome.

Add me on psn: halcyontb12

n0n44m

There's no patch. Something is wrong with your download.

I did get a 3GB "patch/update" for MP after the game went live, despite pre-loading

and the lack of footsteps is probably the biggest issue I have with this game right now ... that and the fact that a pistol is more useful than pretty much every other gun that ain't an SMG/AR in Hardcore TDM :p

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Just finished the Panamanian invasion level in campaign.

This is the only bad guy in Call of Duty that I have ever actively disliked. What a douche. I think I just have one more Strike Force mission and then the remainder of the campaign.

I've noticed some times the sound gets much higher at times for some weird reason and then back down.

The_Monk

Today is the day I finally get my copy, just in time for Double XP I hope(migt have to wait 3 more hours). I'm worried however, if I can play this since I decided to get this on the PS3 despite having a 360.

Already know that I should set the Search preferences to "Best" so let's hope it don't freeze my PS3.

Also, anyone who ordered from UK but it's not from UK manage to use the Code on the PS Store for Nuketown 2025? I heard some reports that people are not beeing able to redeem the code since it might not work outside the UK (reports mostly from the Hardened Edition, not so much for the Standard game).

Anyone?

Sethos

Banned
By the way, the Chicom CQB is the most beastly weapon I have ever used in an FPS. Slap a laser sight on there and another attachment of choice and you have the most batshit weapon I have ever used. If you got a steady aim and know how to quick-trigger fire that shit ... My god. I barely even bother ADS with that thing, even at bigger ranges. 2-3 bursts and anything seem to go down. ( HC )

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Like I mentioned before, the sound in this game is messed up. It was the same with Black Ops.

Barely there footstep sounds, if they are there at all.

Grenade sounds are fucking loud as hell. Maybe that is more realistic, but jeez they are loud as hell.

Gun sounds sound like shit.

Sound awareness sucks. I find it hard to pinpoint exactly where a gun was shot from.

Riposte

I thought I was done with the game, but I guess I ought to give a fair shake and try out the search preferences. If that really makes a big deal, then lol, how silly of them to make it so missable.

EDIT: What are the best guns?

Also can someone explain to me how attachments boosts stats? I'm pretty sure in the past FMJ didn't actually boost damage

Sethos

Banned
Also can someone explain to me how attachments boosts stats? I'm pretty sure in the past FMJ didn't actually boost damage

They don't boost stats per say, the stat increase you see is mostly visual. Like, adding FMJ will allow for greater penetration through material, Quickdraw for faster aiming etc. it might increase a stat but it doesn't actually 'increase' so to speak. Like the grip is a recoil reduction so it does increase accuracy but if based on a single shot it should be identical in accuracy, only when you start firing more consecutive rounds it comes into play.

We're kidding ourselves if we think that campers aren't going to just unlock ghost with their first prestige and have it forever more. Hiding it at level 55 kinda becomes meaningless when you think about it.

There does seem to be something strange going on with this game's netcode. It's almost as if I get online, and I'm either great or I'm bad. There is no middle ground. Kinda makes me think something funny is going on behind the scenes.

For example, I got on from 7-9pm yesterday and was doing work. Probably a 2 k/d.

Then I got on from 10-midnight, and had a k/d of about .8 for those 2 hours.

How can someone be really good, and then really bad like that? I wasn't playing differently, and I was using the same weapons/perks. Very frustrating. :/

.nimrod

Am i really playing on dedicated servers on the PC ? It sure doesn't feel like it :/

This.
I played COD4, MW2 and BO1 on consoles, and BO2 on PC somehow doesn't feel much better.
It's also very inconsistent, in some rounds it seems that i can't be killed and in others it's constant instadeath for me regardless of the weapon i got killed with.

Top Bottom