• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Black Ops II |OT| Black to the Future

mxgt

Banned
I'm surprised I don't see more sentry guns.

I put mine in a window overlooking a large area and it just destroys

Portugeezer

Wish they would have fixed the slow unlocks for Search and Destroy, if you want to unlock things playing SnD then you have to either do exceptionally well or play a different mode.

Sethos

Banned
Wish they would have fixed the slow unlocks for Search and Destroy, if you want to unlock things playing SnD then you have to either do exceptionally well or play a different mode.

I don't find it too bad, perhaps I just like being 'forced' to use the entire spectrum of a gun, from no scope, to RDS, grips and working towards a silencer. So boring when you have a decked out gun in 2 rounds.

On another note, my primary complaint about S&D is the pathetic amount of points you get. My friend playing domination is just pulling ahead big-time, I'm playing more than him, doing better than him but my progression is just slow. Didn't we use to get something like 500 per kill in the old days?

Ensoul

What everyone KD and W/L ratio so far?

I'm at .88 so far (last two days have been brutal) and 1.18 for W/L

.88 as well. No idea what my W/L is. I was able to get around a 1.22 for for Black ops and MW 3.

I started off very poorly and I continue to struggle with this game. At this point I don't think I will ever have a positive KDR. I dug myself too far into a hole.

Riposte

I am around 1.20~ for K/D. It would probably be higher if I didn't focus on experimentation of overkills. For some games I went like 20 kills negative, because I'm busy seeing how I can make the Shield work while chasing objectives.

Halcyon

.88 as well. No idea what my W/L is. I was able to get around a 1.22 for for Black ops and MW 3.

I started off very poorly and I continue to struggle with this game. At this point I don't think I will ever have a positive KDR. I dug myself too far into a hole.

I was at .88 the other day. I brought it up to 1 and I think I'll be able to get it to 1.5 by the end of the weekend. A big help has been running lower kill streaks but utilizing the care package. I get alot of cool free killstreaks from it.

Mileena

Banned
I don't find it too bad, perhaps I just like being 'forced' to use the entire spectrum of a gun, from no scope, to RDS, grips and working towards a silencer. So boring when you have a decked out gun in 2 rounds.

On another note, my primary complaint about S&D is the pathetic amount of points you get. My friend playing domination is just pulling ahead big-time, I'm playing more than him, doing better than him but my progression is just slow. Didn't we use to get something like 500 per kill in the old days?
It def used to be 500 points

Portugeezer

It def used to be 500 points

You still get 500xp apparently, but only shows 100 for your streak.

I'm talking about having to get kills to unlock things for your weapons, in SnD you get much fewer kills than in other modes so I think it should count more towards weapon attachment unlocks.

Man, just had the most fun night with the game so far.

Had host for most of it and pwned with my FAL, almost at 2nd gun prestige too!

Demolition with Guardian and Turrets lol, me and my brother just winning games by ourselves.

If they do nerf FAL it will be a shame, I'm considering working on gold camo but it would be for nothing if they ruined it.

KyleN

Banned
Is it just me or is it faster to rank up in this game?

stats so far..
ibpEgiuLIyfk2b.png

This.
I played COD4, MW2 and BO1 on consoles, and BO2 on PC somehow doesn't feel much better.
It's also very inconsistent, in some rounds it seems that i can't be killed and in others it's constant instadeath for me regardless of the weapon i got killed with.

BO1 on PC had shitty netcode as well even with the dedicated servers.

Mileena

Banned
You still get 500xp apparently, but only shows 100 for your streak.

I'm talking about having to get kills to unlock things for your weapons, in SnD you get much fewer kills than in other modes so I think it should count more towards weapon attachment unlocks.
It's always been like that though. I need to learn the damn maps so I can do some hardcore SnD already.

DarkoMaledictus

Tier Whore
We're kidding ourselves if we think that campers aren't going to just unlock ghost with their first prestige and have it forever more. Hiding it at level 55 kinda becomes meaningless when you think about it.

There does seem to be something strange going on with this game's netcode. It's almost as if I get online, and I'm either great or I'm bad. There is no middle ground. Kinda makes me think something funny is going on behind the scenes.

For example, I got on from 7-9pm yesterday and was doing work. Probably a 2 k/d.

Then I got on from 10-midnight, and had a k/d of about .8 for those 2 hours.

How can someone be really good, and then really bad like that? I wasn't playing differently, and I was using the same weapons/perks. Very frustrating. :/

It happens..the later you log in, the more hardcore players you'll meet. Bet you wont find many casual gamers at 3 am, only the most hardcore crazy players around... so the later you go on the worst you'll do... ;)

I'm just gonna enjoy it now before the eventual grand migration to Ghost where everyones a sneaky snake.

I'll deal with it then, for now red dots everywhere!

Shadybiz

Man, really got my ass handed to me in Domination last night. I think I need to stay off that mode until I learn the maps a bit better.

My skill definitely decreases with every drink, too...

Ensoul

I was at .88 the other day. I brought it up to 1 and I think I'll be able to get it to 1.5 by the end of the weekend. A big help has been running lower kill streaks but utilizing the care package. I get alot of cool free killstreaks from it.

The problem for me is that I can rarely get a care package lol. I have about 100 more deaths than kills right now. I am going to play this weekend and see if I can at least break even.

TheOddOne

Black Ops 2 dev prepared to “kill people with facts” over balancing complaints
Speaking with Destructoid, Vonderhaar said Treyarch’s Black Box metrics collection system allows him to go straight to the numbers when people complain, so he can verify – or more frequently dismiss – balancing critque.

“There’s a lot of instrumentation in this game, there’s a lot of data logging, so I know exactly what the power band of a weapon is at all times,” he said.

“I can combine how something feels with how it’s actually behaving. I know, I know this is going to happen: a million people are going to Tweet me and tell me that the [for example] ‘PDW 57 is overpowered, Vonderhaar what are you doing?’ What I’ll do is I can go and look at the math and I’ll go ‘Actually, you know what dude? You’re just good with it. Have fun, because the math says that it’s not overpowered.’”

The developer said that if a weapon is overpowered the data means he’ll “know it for real” and averages will demonstrate that much of people’s complaints about certain weapons are emotional reactions.

“Like not because someone said it was, or because I felt it was, or because you sent me an angry Tweet because you got killed by the SRM Shotgun one night 17 times so you’re mad. The data will tell me the truth,” he said.

“I’m just going to kill people with facts [with] this game when they come over and go ‘This thing is OP.’ I’m going to go ‘Actually it’s not OP, you’re wrong.’ I’m not going to yell at them or anything, I’m just going to tell them the truth. I don’t have to hide this stuff from people, just drop knowledge bombs on guys. It’s gotta be done. What people are doing is reacting emotionally, and I’m like a really emotional guy so I get it.”

Vonderhaar added that “you can’t let Twitter design the videogame”, but acknowledged that he understands why fans invested in the game want to talk to him via social media.

“I’m the best guy for them to talk to, someone who can actually make decisions about the game is infinitely better than talking to somebody who has no control over what actually happens. I think it’s better that way, even if it comes with this whole new level of responsibility and possibly headache. It’s worth it in the end. I’m glad for it and I’m glad for them, honestly,” he said.

We're kidding ourselves if we think that campers aren't going to just unlock ghost with their first prestige and have it forever more. Hiding it at level 55 kinda becomes meaningless when you think about it.

There does seem to be something strange going on with this game's netcode. It's almost as if I get online, and I'm either great or I'm bad. There is no middle ground. Kinda makes me think something funny is going on behind the scenes.

For example, I got on from 7-9pm yesterday and was doing work. Probably a 2 k/d.

Then I got on from 10-midnight, and had a k/d of about .8 for those 2 hours.

How can someone be really good, and then really bad like that? I wasn't playing differently, and I was using the same weapons/perks. Very frustrating. :/

exactly, played early in the day yesterday and was having 25-10 kill confirmed matches, got on after 8pm and was negative every round, even had a couple 10-20 rounds, i got so frustrated i quit playing sooner then i planned. i dont get it, i was shooting people first and still dieing or not getting hit markers sometimes as well even when i was aiming right at them?

fuenf

So how is the campaign? It seems kind of .... good?

It's amazing. It's Up there with the best campaigns of the generation, i dont understand the critic of the campaign in some of the reviews. I mean, it starts a bit slow, but man,once it gets going it's really good. Sure if you just run through on easy it might not be that different from other CoD's, but playing on Hardened / Veteran you get to appreciate the level design. There are still some cheap deaths, corridors etc. but in most levels you get a ton of flanking options, different routes and multiple ways to approach certain scenarios. I'm liking it very much.

Fistwell

“I’m just going to kill people with facts"
"just drop knowledge bombs on guys."

1) who even talks like that?
2) let me hit you with some knowledge brah: SMGs are OP, BOOM!
if his stats don't show it, he's looking at the wrong stats

Gorillaz

Well....there was this theory since mw2 that something is " going on " with each cod and their netcode. I forgot what it was called but it was very indepth with how "fair" the series is.

mxgt

Banned
I think it's only a matter of time before the FAL gets nerfed

It's way too good but damn if it isn't fun to use

Everdred

How do you guys rate the difficulty of the campaign? I usually beat the Modern Warfare games on veteran and Treyarch games on hardened. Is it stupid frustrating hard or should I go veteran?

Man, really got my ass handed to me in Domination last night. I think I need to stay off that mode until I learn the maps a bit better.

My skill definitely decreases with every drink, too...
I get creamed in Domination too. It seems tougher this year. Anytime a team captures B, it's over. Trying to cap B again is impossible.

Fistwell

I think it's only a matter of time before the FAL gets nerfed
I'll be gonna drop some truth on you, man. Here's the deal. Not gonna sugar coat it or nothing. You're just really really good with it. Everyone is just really really really good with it. The stats. Can't fool the stats. Quit being emotional.

Mattdaddy

Gold Member
This campaign is pretty freaking gruesome!

Late game spoilers
On the carrier mission, they cut the science girl's throat then held her head back as she bled out.... holy shit! The camera didnt shy away or anything. Wasnt expecting that. Also the whole exchange with Hudson, Mason, Woods, Menendez at the end of Panama... that was pretty morbid too. They sure didn't pull any punches.

This campaign is pretty freaking gruesome!

Late game spoilers
On the carrier mission, they cut the science girl's throat then held her head back as she bled out.... holy shit! The camera didnt shy away or anything. Wasnt expecting that. Also the whole exchange with Hudson, Mason, Woods, Menendez at the end of Panama... that was pretty morbid too. They sure didn't pull any punches.

I think you can save her, depending on the choices you have made earlier.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
I'm not sure what gun I should be using at this point, while I enjoy the the ARs like the Fal and M27 or SMGs like the MP7 and Chicom, I am either playing a terrible game or a good one, never any middle ground of just doing alright.

And looking at the ratios and stats over the course of the last few games I don't know what I am good at or not due to the terrible number of games, my MW3 and BO2 K/D ratio is consistently 0.8, and only started going up in MW3 about 9 months into the games life after a billion patches, lol.

aku:jiki

Well....there was this theory since mw2 that something is " going on " with each cod and their netcode. I forgot what it was called but it was very indepth with how "fair" the series is.
No, MW2 had the best netcode in the series and the fact that they changed it with Black Ops is not a theory. Posting this same video again:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=reNPK8XD-k4

(LOL, the first suggestion on youtube if you type mw3 is "mw3 lag compensation.")

Top Bottom