• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Black Ops II |OT| Black to the Future

Coldphire

Neo Member
Everyone should try out using the Black Hat PDA. It took me a little while to figure it out, but you just point it a UAV or Helicopter and hold the Tactial Grenade button down. It takes a little longer then a Stinger to destory it, but you can then drop the stinger and use a pistol (which are actually good in this game). I've switched up all of my classes to use them now.

Or drop the secondary completly if you need another point.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker

whitney-i-wanna-c-receipts.gif

This whole 10 items per class thing is really throwing a curve to what a normal CoD loadout would look like. I'm only at Level 11, but here's what I'm rolling with:

MP7
Silencer for MP7
Quick Reload for MP7
Wildcard - Extra Perk 1
Wildcard - Extra Perk 2
Lightweight - Perk 1
Hardline - Perk 1
Toughness - Perk 2
Cold Blooded - Perk 2
Dexterity - Perk 3

I imagine I'll exchange Wildcard Extra Perk 2 for an Extra Perk 3 when I get to level 13, then exchange Toughness for Extreme Conditioning. I never would have thought I'd go without a secondary weapon, lethal equipment, or tactical equipment in CoD.

RS4-

Vonderhaar added that “you can’t let Twitter design the videogame”, but acknowledged that he understands why fans invested in the game want to talk to him via social media.

not enough quick scoping and people crying so they gotta put it back in.

Shadybiz

I get creamed in Domination too. It seems tougher this year. Anytime a team captures B, it's over. Trying to cap B again is impossible.

It really is a chore to get B back. I think me and my group eventually just decided to go after A or C instead. Counter intuitive, but what can you do?

fuenf

This campaign is pretty freaking gruesome!

Late game spoilers
On the carrier mission, they cut the science girl's throat then held her head back as she bled out.... holy shit! The camera didnt shy away or anything. Wasnt expecting that. Also the whole exchange with Hudson, Mason, Woods, Menendez at the end of Panama... that was pretty morbid too. They sure didn't pull any punches.

on my playthrough she got a headshot and just fell down

Linkhero1

For people who are struggling online, try Demolition first and play a few rounds. I use it as a way to get better with my loadouts. Yes, I am that teammate who doesn't give a shit about planting the bomb, but what can I say? It really helps.

Everyone should try out using the Black Hat PDA. It took me a little while to figure it out, but you just point it a UAV or Helicopter and hold the Tactial Grenade button down. It takes a little longer then a Stinger to destory it, but you can then drop the stinger and use a pistol (which are actually good in this game). I've switched up all of my classes to use them now.

Or drop the secondary completly if you need another point.

Whoa-it takes over UAVs??

njean777

It really is a chore to get B back. I think me and my group eventually just decided to go after A or C instead. Counter intuitive, but what can you do?

I remember that being the case in BO1 also. It was much harder to grab/get back B mid-game if the other team captures it.

butts

The lag is so reminiscent of WaW. I remember in that game it would take a noticeable amount of time to give you that headshot "clink" and the exact same thing happens in this game. Hoping it gets better, I really want to enjoy it but so far the lag and spawning is making me regret buyin it.

MechDX

I got the Swarm killstreak in a care package last night in a game of domiation. That thing just flat out owns! I was openly laughing into the mic as the points on my screen just kept racking up.

And Stealth Chopper is pretty damn good as well.

LowParry

Anyone able to use the AK-47 yet? Just looking for impressions since it's such a staple weapon of mine to use. Was fantastic in BO1. MW3 killed it and was such a let down (though the SCAR was the best).

RS4-

I got the Swarm killstreak in a care package last night in a game of domiation. That thing just flat out owns! I was openly laughing into the mic as the points on my screen just kept racking up.

And Stealth Chopper is pretty damn good as well.

In my last dom game I managed to double up on the vsat and warthog in one go. Too bad I didn't have swarm or anything.

DoomGyver

Only had to work half a day today :) If anyone wants to party up my gamertag 360 is in my profile.

My KDR went down slightly last night. I'm hoping it'll go up with more people playing this weekend.

Some thoughts about the multi: I'm level 40, and I can confirm what others have said about the sound of footsteps, or knifing not being loud enough. I have Sennheiser 360s hooked up to an astro mixamp and I've tried a few of the presets to no avail. No, I haven't unlocked awareness yet but I was under the impression that awareness only increases the distance you can hear, not the volume. So it probably won't make much of a difference.

Treyarch tried to stop the sound whoring and camping with the changes in Ghost and the volume of footsteps/actions. But I think they went a bit too far in one direction. Bring some of the environment sounds up (ladder, creaky wood floor, using BB or claymore) and make it so if an enemy runs up behind me I can hear them, but if they crouch walk or walk slowly I can't.

And Ghost now completely goes hand in hand with shotguns and SMGs because you're constantly clearing rooms with those load outs.

SteveWD40

PC Servers down? (UK), just tried to sample the MP, I got a 2 min loading screen and then when it finally got the game I was booted from the servers, tried again, same result.

There were other players in the lobby ofc so I assume it's working for some. The map loading screens shouldn't be that long surely?

params7

Banned
Only had to work half a day today :) If anyone wants to party up my gamertag 360 is in my profile.

My KDR went down slightly last night. I'm hoping it'll go up with more people playing this weekend.

Some thoughts about the multi: I'm level 40, and I can confirm what others have said about the sound of footsteps, or knifing not being loud enough. I have Sennheiser 360s hooked up to an astro mixamp and I've tried a few of the presets to no avail. No, I haven't unlocked awareness yet but I was under the impression that awareness only increases the distance you can hear, not the volume. So it probably won't make much of a difference.

Treyarch tried to stop the sound whoring and camping with the changes in Ghost and the volume of footsteps/actions. But I think they went a bit too far in one direction. Bring some of the environment sounds up (ladder, creaky wood floor, using BB or claymore) and make it so if an enemy runs up behind me I can hear them, but if they crouch walk or walk slowly I can't.

And Ghost now completely goes hand in hand with shotguns and SMGs because you're constantly clearing rooms with those load outs.

Yeah very disappointed with the nerf of foot steps sound, that was one of the things I loved about CoD that wasn't in BF. It just brought that level of immersion.

Detox

Not counter intuitive at all, it's been like this since forever. If the other team manages to lock b down someone has to go c and make them move out of position.

Remmy2112

I've been using the 870 for the last day on the PC and I've come to the conclusion that some of the people complaining that the shotguns suck or are overpowered either aren't using the weapons right or are engaging enemies with them wrong. The 870 will one shot with hipfire or aimed fire close, and with long barrel that range extends slightly, but past really close range it's random unless you use aimed shot to tighten the pellet spread. Other than that the shotgun requires a radically different playstyle than other weapons, especially SMGs.

A number of SMGs in this game can accurately fire out to medium or even long range and hit with damage dropoff while shotguns can't. You have to use flanks and interiors/corners to your advantage, luring enemies into tight areas where you have the advantage. If you encounter a enemy beyond shotgun range you have two choices; either sprint your ass into a nearby building or alley to get away or carry a sidearm that allows you to reach out and touch someone. In my case I use the burstfire pistol which is actually really good at that. I'll post thoughts on the other shotguns later.

And the build I am using is:
870 with primary gunfighter
Long barrel
Fast mag
Laser sight (thinking of taking it out, dunno if it gives shotguns part of the ADS benefit)
Burst fire pistol
Lightweight
Fast hands (for switching to the pistol)
Dexterity
1 shock charge

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
So how is the campaign? It seems kind of .... good?

I personally think it's pretty terrible. The writing is awful, the plot is nonsensical, the characters are dudebros with the depth and personality of a cardboard box, and the levels don't even tie together to form a coherent plot. For all their faults, at least Infinity Ward knew how to make a cohesive single player campaign. I'm just about to start the Panama level and I have close to no interest in finishing the game or at least seeing where the story goes. I can't say the same for MW3.

Shadybiz

I hope they fix this balancing teams stuff soon...it's a real buzzkill. Other than that, I'm enjoying the hell out of the game.

fuenf

I personally think it's pretty terrible. The writing is awful, the plot is nonsensical, the characters are dudebros with the depth and personality of a cardboard box, and the levels don't even tie together to form a coherent plot. For all their faults, at least Infinity Ward knew how to make a cohesive single player campaign. I'm just about to start the Panama level and I have close to no interest in finishing the game or at least seeing where the story goes. I can't say the same for MW3.

Just like BlackOps our history ties everything together. It's really not that difficult to understand, kinda like Forrest Gump with BLOPS characters.

I think it's only a matter of time before the FAL gets nerfed

It's way too good but damn if it isn't fun to use

I pray they don't nerf the single shot stats, since it actually takes some skill to accurately put 2-3 shots on target down range. I haven't and really don't plan on using the select fire attachment.

In the right hands the gun is amazing though, I managed to pull of an 18 kill streak with the fal as soon as a equipped it

Gorillaz

The 870 has been my shooty since the start. god i go crazy on some ground war and hardpoint matches. Ill put up my shotty setup in a bit.

HiiiLife

Josefinnnaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Jack_AG

Banned
500m.

If they don't fix lag comp, spawning and the blurry mess on PS3 within the first month i'm never buying another COD again. My last COD was MW2 with good reason - series is done in my eyes. I can't believe I got suckered again.

aristotle

For people who are struggling online, try Demolition first and play a few rounds. I use it as a way to get better with my loadouts. Yes, I am that teammate who doesn't give a shit about planting the bomb, but what can I say? It really helps.

Why? Play league play and everything is unlocked. You can try out everything there (except scorestreaks).

params7

Banned
Sounds like he has a stick up his ass. There will always be bitching just to bitch but there are serious balancing issues that need to be looked at, mainly in regards to how underpowered the ARs are against the SMGs.

And LMG's are nearly unplayable with unless you camp from far away with target finders.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
The damage feels like COD to me. I haven't noticed it going up. This is another annual comment on GAF just like "spawns are terrible omg it was never like this before" when it hasn't really changed much if any.

And the spawns usually are terrible at the beginning. Haven't had any problems with this games spawns yet though.

njean777

500m.

If they don't fix lag comp, spawning and the blurry mess on PS3 within the first month i'm never buying another COD again. My last COD was MW2 with good reason - series is done in my eyes. I can't believe I got suckered again.

Yeah I played a few rounds just now, and you can clearly see the lag compensation at work in this game. It's ridiculous that they punish you for having good internet, who the fuck thought that was a good idea at all.

Top Bottom