• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Black Ops II |OT| Black to the Future

jobber

Would let Tony Parker sleep with his wife
Was just about to ask this? I tried the first mission but couldn't beat it and really didn't enjoy it. Does it really screw up
the ending that bad?

apparently so......

so bad that you have to complete them all

:|

I have nothing but good things to say about the campaign, it's so well done and good story too.
Some of the later levels are just crazy with their scale and attention the detail, the branching storyline is handled well.

I only noticed the subtle branching towards the end so I missed out at the start. It does motivate me to at least play it one more time. I can guess what a lot of the other endings are. My ending was full of wtf though....

The gun towards the end that shoots through walls can really show the ugly side of the level mechanics and AI(although a lot of which isn't new to BLOPS2). There are some nice environments in the campaign(flooded town and wingsuit missions spring to mind) But the last few missions was a return to form of some previous CODs. It just turned into a grind of avoiding grenades and breaking checkpoint markers.

Excuse me gentlemen. I hope I can get an answer that would please me....
uhhh I skipped the RTS shit and found out that it's vital to the ending. Apparently it's different endings and uh...i'm fucked. Is there any way to go back without restarting the entire game?

Going back to levels resets your progress to the mission you have selected. I skipped the Strike missions too. Ending was muck, but mostly because of my choices at the end I presume since I made god awful choices.

I have to say that this game really makes me tentative for new game purchases. How can a franchise that makes this much money be so damn broken at launch?

I sure as shit hope that games will offer separate purchases for SP/MP/Modes and that the MP specifically gives you 72hours of free play as a demo so you know exactly what you are getting into when you plop down 60 bucks, lag comp, shit spawns and all.

I am getting closer and closer to pulling the fucking plug on gaming - especially milked franchises.

You honestly think Activision cares about drastically improving the game year to year? They just slap a fresh coat of paint and call the game new. People are still going to go in droves to buy it. The franchise needs a 2 year lay off for a reboot, but that's not going to happen because people are still throwing their money at Activision.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
I can't believe how unreliable the knife is now, trying to kill one of two guys in a door frame facing the other way to knife and them to move slightly away followed typically by both turning around and killing me, waste of time.

Duxxy3

My mini review of the campaign

This is the most un-call-of-duty campaign yet. That's not necessarily a bad thing though.

Ed Harris missing from the campaign absolutely would bring down any score i would give to it. I was fairly shocked that the largest game couldn't manage to keep all of its voice actors.

haikira

I will literally trade my soul, if anyone has a link to a comparison of 4 player split screen zombies performance.

I was over the moon that Black Op II features local 4 player zombies. Tried some of it today with friends on my PS3 and the framerate is appalling. I was expecting a performance hit, of course. But this is definitely unplayable.

I absolutely love playing zombies with friends and 4 players on one console would make things much easier. As before, we'd rarely get many opportunities to LAN. So if i can find confirmation that there's a substantial improvement on the 360, i'd definitely double dip on another copy.

Holy shit, the AN94 is such a good gun

Went 29-11 first time I used it

I just prestiged, how do I choose what weapon/item I wanna keep?

tatsuki

Holy shit, the AN94 is such a good gun

Went 29-11 first time I used it

I just prestiged, how do I choose what weapon/item I wanna keep?

Go to where you would normally unlock said weapon/item and hit r1(ps3) or one of the top bumpers on 360? It will tell you in the bottom right corner.

RS4-

Hm, I don't know what to use my perma unlock item on. I like the FAL and I like Ghost too. Might just go for the latter.

edit - oh ghost only works if you're moving forward at max speed or something. Ehh wtf. There goes the idea of flanking under stealth.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
Hm, I don't know what to use my perma unlock item on. I like the FAL and I like Ghost too. Might just go for the latter.

edit - oh ghost only works if you're moving forward at max speed or something. Ehh wtf. There goes the idea of flanking under stealth.

According to the wiki you only have to be moving or generally doing something, so using scorestreaks and such, if you are just sitting there waiting you will show up on the map. Though I imagine moving around slightly in a circle or something would still keep you invisible.

chris0701

Fixed. 4 days annd the freezing issue is still present. It's like Skyrim all over again - media outlets giving the PS3 version high marks but failing to report the widespread freezing issues making the PS3 version unplayable.

Dunno what the PS3 freeze issue is. But for campaign I found several severe slowdown in the end of chap 2 campaign(jungle rescue).

RS4-

According to the wiki you only have to be moving or generally doing something, so using scorestreaks and such, if you are just sitting there waiting you will show up on the map. Though I imagine moving around slightly in a circle or something would still keep you invisible.

Was watching the YT vids of them discussing it. You won't show up while you're controlling killstreaks or running forward (or "forward in a circle"). Walking, crouching, crawling, anything that doesn't involve moving at top speed means you show up on radar.

I guess I'll have to save up for something else.

And I'm not sure how to make the clan tag show up yellow. Seen a few of them already.

Add me to the list who think the game is unplayable. I have a 50 down and 5 up connection and the lag is so damn terrible. Best search does nothing. Gonna wait till a patch or something is done. Just terrible.

Edit: I'm on 360.

I love the bot matches in this except that all weapon skins are locked, at least on online custom games. Kind of a bummer when the last game had a separate unlock progression just for bot matches.

I'm hoping it gets patched in some time; it seems weird when everything else is unlocked but skins aren't.

The idea of camping too. So both good and bad.

Add me to the list who think the game is unplayable. I have a 50 down and 5 up connection and the lag is so damn terrible. Best search does nothing. Gonna wait till a patch or something is done. Just terrible.

Edit: I'm on 360.

I noticed it too. It was fine until the evening, never experienced any problems since launch but it sure is acting up weird tonight.

It seems like for the last 50 pages people are complaining about all the same stuff they have been for every call of duty since the holy lamb that is Cod4. Quickscopers are shit. Spawns are shit. Hate a map. Hate a gun. Its all the same crap that has been said before. Once you accept the fact that yes, this game has flaws just like every other COD before it, you can have a great time shooting and having mindless fun instead of nit picking at all the things that COD had been for the past 5 years or so.

Jack_AG

Banned
Changing my connection to "best" did wonders for me. Matchmaking takes definitely longer, but it is so worth it.
I've been on "Best" since day 1 and its still horrid for me. Even that dude that made that video showing how much better "Best" is made another video showing it didn't improve jack shit. Placebo, nothing more.

They can't even get matchmaking in any order I highly doubt they figured out ping when they can't figure out 12/2 is 6v6 for even teams so the match starts.

Worst foot forward so long as its stamped with "COD" by release date.

Sojgat

Holy shit does that campaign suddenly get good half way through. I really liked the first future mission near the start of the game, but was ready to give up on the single player about 5 missions in
(shooting down Hinds with stinger missles while on horseback, fuck you COD)
. Glad I pushed through, the latter half of the game is the best the SP portion has been in a long time. Also Sam Worthington is the worst actor in the entire world, he makes me proud to be an Australian:)

Edit: Apart from some weird hitching on a few occasions MP has been fine for me (playing on 360).

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
It seems like for the last 50 pages people are complaining about all the same stuff they have been for every call of duty since the holy lamb that is Cod4. Quickscopers are shit. Spawns are shit. Hate a map. Hate a gun. Its all the same crap that has been said before. Once you accept the fact that yes, this game has flaws just like every other COD before it, you can have a great time shooting and having mindless fun instead of nit picking at all the things that COD had been for the past 5 years or so.

Except plenty are complaining about the Lag Compensation which has really only gotten much worse since BO1, a lot of the problems are simply related to that and it has gotten worse each iteration of CoD for the last 3 games.

Spawns do suck, some weapons are crazy, and the map design isn't the best it has been, but a lot of problems will disappear once we start getting patches that try to balance things out, just because something is ok or alright doesn't mean you can't complain about it. Complaining about people complaining is just as bad as the complaining itself, lol.

As for quick scoping, treyarch tried to nerf it slightly iirc in BO1, but they seemingly didn't have the nerve to do it this time.

Cake Boss

Banned
Just got the game, so basically the knife is useless.

AND WHERE THE FUCK IS MERCENARY TEAM DEATHMATCH?

Edit: These are the worst menus I have yet to use in a game since trying to play MGO online.

DoomGyver

Ghost is pretty useless, You have to stop or slow down sometime.. you can't run/speed walk forever. I think I'll be using my unlock on the ballista.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies

They've decided to move certain playlists into multi-modes for some reason, which is annoying because I would like to just have mercenary tdm and not other modes. And in the case of Hardcore they have just removed some completely.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I did one of the RTS levels successfully (wat). Do I have to do any more to get the good ending?

nbraun80

Edit: These are the worst menus I have yet to use in a game since trying to play MGO online.

I apparently miss like 90% of my knife attempts now, but don't worry I still get commando knifed plenty of times. And yeah the menus are stupid, why change a simple clean menu that we've gotten used to for 4 years with this bulky scrolling crap. It wasn't broke...

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
Was watching the YT vids of them discussing it. You won't show up while you're controlling killstreaks or running forward (or "forward in a circle"). Walking, crouching, crawling, anything that doesn't involve moving at top speed means you show up on radar.

I guess I'll have to save up for something else.

And I'm not sure how to make the clan tag show up yellow. Seen a few of them already.

Wow you're quite right, that's rather stupid, some of it I am alright with but that you can't even crouch, crawl and have to be moving at best top walking speed really sucks.

aristotle

The guy who emailed Treyarch about it got a non-runaround reply acknowledging the issue; that's it so far I think.

Vanderhaar (the online designer or something major guy @ Treyarch) has said several times that the patch is currently in testing. It should be out soon.

I did one of the RTS levels successfully (wat). Do I have to do any more to get the good ending?

There are actually several steps to get the "good" ending. And winning all of the strike force missions isn't one of them ;)

I finally got my MP7 up to prestige 2. These camo unlocks will be a pain. I assume it's the same for all weapons. Here are the details:

Carbon Fiber: 30 revenge medals with the weapon
Cherry Blossom: 150 kills with no attachments
Art of War: 150 kills with no perks equipped
Ronin: 20 double kill medals
Skulls: 10 bloodthirsty medals using only the weapon
Gold: unlock all camos

Top Bottom