• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Black Ops II |OT| Black to the Future

Well, I've been trying for a few years now and I still suck ass at CoD multiplayer. I think I'm gonna throw in the towel. I feel like everyone knows some secret that I don't... I dunno. Might be my Couter-Strike heritage. Having enemies shown on the mini-map is fucking sacrilegious. Not to mention rewarding the players that are already good with air strikes and shit. I just don't get it.

This is the worst online game of all time when it comes to this lag compensation bullshit. Its completely broken for me. I cannot win a straight up gun fight at all. I hit them three times to four times up close and nothing. They shot me once and I'm toast. I look at the kill cam and he shot me 7 times meanwhile I see him shoot me once. Treyarch is done to me. Call of duty is done to me. Its simply insane that in this day and age they can fuck this up so bad. A big fuck you to activision and treyarch for this nonsense.

Mileena

Banned
Well, I've been trying for a few years now and I still suck ass at CoD multiplayer. I think I'm gonna throw in the towel. I feel like everyone knows some secret that I don't... I dunno. Might be my Couter-Strike heritage. Having enemies shown on the mini-map is fucking sacrilegious. Not to mention rewarding the players that are already good with air strikes and shit. I just don't get it.

if you're good at CS then CoD should be pretty easy for you by default

Jack_AG

Banned
This is the worst online game of all time when it comes to this lag compensation bullshit. Its completely broken for me. I cannot win a straight up gun fight at all. I hit them three times to four times up close and nothing. They shot me once and I'm toast. I look at the kill cam and he shot me 7 times meanwhile I see him shoot me once. Treyarch is done to me. Call of duty is done to me. Its simply insane that in this day and age they can fuck this up so bad. A big fuck you to activision and treyarch for this nonsense.
You aren't the only one, man :(

I agree with the sentiment. About half of my games actually show me doing what I'm actually doing in a game due to lag comp. but I imdont let it get me down, just roll with it and don't stress. It sucks, but sadly, we just have to wait for a fix.

Mikey Jr.

Gj6sN.jpg

Urghh, that was tedious. Fuck it, thats the best I can do.

I feel you there buddy. I feel like a sucker for buying this after swearing to myself "never again".
I wonder how much I can get for this on Craigslist.

Why is it that nearly everyone's connection goes from 3 bar to 4 bar, constantly off and on including my own? Are the connections really that unstable that they flucuate that much?

Mully

The game seems a bit off. The weapons don't feel as crisp. It's very difficult to spot an enemy. Even the movement doesn't feel as smooth.

I'm not a COD fanatic, but I always feel compelled to purchase a copy each November. Most of the time I'm pretty pleased. This one has me making weird faces and noises of disgust.

I'm really trying to like this one, but it's not as clean cut as the other ones have been.

You didn't learn from the first BO and MW3? Activision is worse than EA and Treyarch was never a good developer to begin with.

PSYGN

I want to play with Joe Schmoe random players again; it ain't fun when everyone's averaging around the same kdr in the lobby because of the player skill matching system. I want to shine! But it's hard to when everyone is running around like headless chickens praying to the CoD gods as they spray toward the red dots. I know you guys like wrecking havoc on some noobs from time to time, don't lie! I say keep player skill matching to league play and only search by connection for regular. This might be why I'm also lagging more than usual. It's limiting the scope of potential players even more as they search by skill.

Also, I find it ironic at how fast the pacing of the game is (doesn't help when they're running lightweight also) when Treyarch's hit detection isn't as solid as IW's, imo. I think lag is more visible than ever because some of our connections can't keep up at the speed at which we're playing at. Sometimes I'd be shooting their shadow on their killcam as they run past me. It gets ridiculous.

Meh, I don't know. It's a fun game, but the whole balancing thing and constant uav makes it difficult to enjoy it as much as I could. I like to beast and I think a lot of people are having trouble with it at this point, but maybe it's too early to tell. And I'm not a camper, either. I've been a run and gunner SMG user in all CoD games since the first MW. Flanking and getting up close and personal is how I do it. But in this game everyone is using this technique, as this is the only way to keep up on a lot of the maps. It sucks for me as my connection can't keep up with the other players that run and gun it seems, lol.

DoomGyver

MW2 had the best netcode of the bunch. And I have to agree with the above, about half of my kill cams actually show what I actually did.

This whole 'lag compensation' garbage just screams trying too hard. It doesn't work right. Give us Dedis.
LOL right, acti is waay too cheap

M.W.

I agree. It's an absolute abortion.

I love COD. I buy it every year and play it with the same LIVE friends every year. I have fun every year. Except this year. I get zero enjoyment out of playing MP. It's beyond bad, I'm not sure how Treyarch fucked it up this much. I can't play more than 30 minutes without wanting to quit. I think I may just go back to MW3 or Blops cuz this shit is terble.

I love COD. I buy it every year and play it with the same LIVE friends every year. I have fun every year. Except this year. I get zero enjoyment out of playing MP. It's beyond bad, I'm not sure how Treyarch fucked it up this much. I can't play more than 30 minutes without wanting to quit. I think I may just go back to MW3 or Blops cuz this shit is terble.
Whats so terrible?

M.W.

Whats so terrible?

The lag/lag compensation embedded in this game is worse than any COD game yet. That in itself makes it terrible. I like one map out of 14 and most of the guns are worthless. I loved Blops, but this game is a huge step down from that. I dunno, maybe it's beginner's complaining, but it's not fun to play at the moment.

Nome

The lag/lag compensation embedded in this game is worse than any COD game yet. That in itself makes it terrible. I like one map out of 14 and most of the guns are worthless. I loved Blops, but this game is a huge step down from that. I dunno, maybe it's beginner's complaining, but it's not fun to play at the moment.
Blops1 got me through my first all-nighter in game development. I can't play Blops2 for more than an hour at a time. I still think it's pretty fun though. Just hoping their map packs are good :)

I totally disagree but I think only for the fact that I've skipped every other CoD. So every 2 years I play a new one, and it makes for a good time. As really, after CoD4 they've all been expansions. But because of that I don't feel so exhorted when I pick them up.

M.W.

The only map I find tolerable is Slums. It's a great objective map. Every other map...sucks. There's no such thing as gun fights in this game. Either you drop the guy in one bullet or he drops you.

Here's an odd question I have - PC GAF, how are you in particular finding the game? I read a lot of the complaints so far and have myself thinking "hm, a lot of this could be fixed on the PC". For example, right now i'm playing BLOPS1 religiously for some reason, and I have come across many servers with specific game enhancing rules, eg no second chance, no rockets, no shooting knife, high ping kicks etc. I have not experienced problems with lag compensation in my time playing BLOPS and MW3, even though I know it is in there, and I can't imagine it's even worse in BLOPS2...

So I ask this: do dedicated servers, with specific rules, as well as mouse navigation in menus, and a generally more competitive ecosystem improve the reported problems? I wouldn't usually bother mentioning better visuals and better performance as that is self evident on PC, but from the sounds of benchmark sites it also scales ridiculously well and is laden with customization options. Obviously maps cannot be fixed (which I hear are cramped and altogether poor), but a lot of sounds like it could be improved.

Jarmel

Banned
The more I think about it, the worse this game is.

1.The lag compensation and netcode in general-
I can't tell you the number of times I've had a party break up in this game. I seriously can't. There's the whole matchmaking bug where it looks to balance teams as well but that'll probably get fixed. Then we have matches where everybody and I mean everybody has a red bar and the games are unplayable. I've had that happen five or so times and holy fuck is it frustrating. Then there is the lag compensation. I personally haven't had too bad time because of it but I can definitely tell it's there and it's annoying due to the spamming of the SMGs.

2.The Maps-
They're as a whole, not as bad as MW3 but they're not much better either. All of them are pretty much CQC meaning the SMGs have an ungodly advantage over pretty much everything. I'm not opposed to multiple entrances for a spot so that's fine, however the amount of headglitching in this game is insane. There are maps where you literally have chokepoints full of headglitching, case in point being Slums. Also since the maps are so damn small, they make Objective based games, explosion heaven. Domination is close to near constant explosions going off in the background.

3.The Quickscoping-
Somehow this is worse than ever. Even in MW2 or MW3, it wasn't that bad or prevalent. It's mostly due to the whole OHK for any bodypart from a sniper making them godawful.

4.Weapon Balancing-
The SMGs are king. Yes there are times when the ARs can be useful but in general, you will get rushed and you better pray you have a SMG. The firing rate, accuracy, lack of recoil, and damage make them ridiculously good compared to the other classes. No other COD was ever this bad and it truly has become a spray and pray game.

5.Scorestreaks-
I like the concept of them but they made the higher streaks way too inaccessible. There will probably be a handful of people that will ever call in the dogs legit or get the swarm without a carepackage. That poses a problem as nobody will bother trying and just stick to the lower streaks which means you have a plethora of UVAs everywhere as nobody is going to take a risk on getting some insane number of kills in a row, especially when the points per kill are reduced in objective type games.

6.The Unlock System-
Ghost being level 55 is bullshit and highly biased against lower ranked players. It seems they did it to avoid camping but people used it in legit ways for flanking and this really fucked over a lot of people. It's insanely stupid. The rest of the system is a complete step down from Black Ops 1 which let you do what you want, when you wanted to.

7.Spawn System-
COD has never had a great spawn system but this is probably the worst of them all, even of MW3. There have been times when people have spawned 10 feet in front of me and I shot them in the back. I've never seen it this blatant before. It's a complete mess and on certain gametypes such as Hardpoint, it becomes a gigantic clusterfuck because the game doesn't know how to handle spawning people away from the action and not directly in someone's line of sight.

In short, the multiplayer is the worst since MW2 and MW2 only takes the lead because of the exploits and glitches. Many of the above have been problems in prior COD games but it's worse than ever in BO2.

no_to_co

Does anybody know if the Wii U is different from the PS360 version? It there any content missing? does it run at a lower frame rate or resolution? Going to get a Wii U on Sunday and would like to get the games if it is not subpar to the other versions.

M.W.

I can't tell you the number of times I've had a party break up in this game. I seriously can't. There's the whole matchmaking bug where it looks to balance teams as well but that'll probably get fixed. Then we have matches where everybody and I mean everybody has a red bar and the games are unplayable. I've had that happen five or so times and holy fuck is it frustrating. Then there is the lag compensation. I personally haven't had too bad time because of it but I can definitely tell it's there and it's annoying due to the spamming of the SMGs.

2.The Maps-
They're as a whole, not as bad as MW3 but they're not much better either. All of them are pretty much CQC meaning the SMGs have an ungodly advantage over pretty much everything. I'm not opposed to multiple entrances for a spot so that's fine, however the amount of headglitching in this game is insane. There are maps where you literally have chokepoints full of headglitching, case in point being Slums. Also since the maps are so damn small, they make Objective based games, explosion heaven. Domination is close to near constant explosions going off in the background.

3.The Quickscoping-
Somehow this is worse than ever. Even in MW2 or MW3, it wasn't that bad or prevalent. It's mostly due to the whole OHK for any bodypart from a sniper making them godawful.

4.Weapon Balancing-
The SMGs are king. Yes there are times when the ARs can be useful but in general, you will get rushed and you better pray you have a SMG. The firing rate, accuracy, lack of recoil, and damage make them ridiculously good compared to the other classes. No other COD was ever this bad and it truly has become a spray and pray game.

5.Scorestreaks-
I like the concept of them but they made the higher streaks way too inaccessible. There will probably be a handful of people that will ever call in the dogs legit or get the swarm without a carepackage. That poses a problem as nobody will bother trying and just stick to the lower streaks which means you have a plethora of UVAs everywhere as nobody is going to take a risk on getting some insane number of kills in a row, especially when the points per kill are reduced in objective type games.

6.The Unlock System-
Ghost being level 55 is bullshit and highly biased against lower ranked players. It seems they did it to avoid camping but people used it in legit ways for flanking and this really fucked over a lot of people. It's insanely stupid. The rest of the system is a complete step down from Black Ops 1 which let you do what you want, when you wanted to.

7.Spawn System-
COD has never had a great spawn system but this is probably the worst of them all, even of MW3. There have been times when people have spawned 10 feet in front of me and I shot them in the back. I've never seen it this blatant before. It's a complete mess and on certain gametypes such as Hardpoint, it becomes a gigantic clusterfuck because the game doesn't know how to handle spawning people away from the action and not directly in someone's line of sight.

In short, the multiplayer is the worst since MW2 and MW2 only takes the lead because of the exploits and glitches. Many of the above have been problems in prior COD games but it's worse than ever in BO2.

I agree with everything here, except I liked MW3's maps better, as insane as that sounds.

2.The Maps-

3.The Quickscoping-

4.Weapon Balancing-

5.Scorestreaks-

6.The Unlock System-

7.Spawn System-

I agree on all accounts!

Nabs

Here's an odd question I have - PC GAF, how are you in particular finding the game? I read a lot of the complaints so far and have myself thinking "hm, a lot of this could be fixed on the PC". For example, right now i'm playing BLOPS1 religiously for some reason, and I have come across many servers with specific game enhancing rules, eg no second chance, no rockets, no shooting knife, high ping kicks etc. I have not experienced problems with lag compensation in my time playing BLOPS and MW3, even though I know it is in there, and I can't imagine it's even worse in BLOPS2...

So I ask this: do dedicated servers, with specific rules, as well as mouse navigation in menus, and a generally more competitive ecosystem improve the reported problems? I wouldn't usually bother mentioning better visuals and better performance as that is self evident on PC, but from the sounds of benchmark sites it also scales ridiculously well and is laden with customization options. Obviously maps cannot be fixed (which I hear are cramped and altogether poor), but a lot of sounds like it could be improved.

Treyarch is running all the servers this time, so no admins to decide how the game is played. The servers felt a bit laggy when the game launched, but I've had 2 days of lag-free play so maybe it's gotten better. I'd wait for more impressions on that.

The only improvements here are related to performance (you can hit 200fps), controls (kb/mouse feels amazing), and actual servers. Everything else depends on who you ask. I am having a great time with friends. I'm enjoying the maps, and I'm loving my current go-to class. I don't know if I'd have as much fun without my group.

Why is it that every fucking time I am doing good in a game the fucking host quits and I lose connection to the host?

God damn

And to top it off it counts as a fucking loss too

Top Bottom